Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 finishes 6th in latest Motor Trend comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ZR1 finishes 6th in latest Motor Trend comparison

Which cars where listed has being better "driver" cars? The Miata MX-3 and Shelby GT500 for instance. Despite it outpacing the entire list of cars at Laguna Seca, MT didn't like the messages the car was sending!

Seems the C6 has run it's course and fallen out of favor with the media in all models (base, Z06, ZR1)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...vette_zr1.html
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Despite it outpacing the entire list of cars at Laguna Seca, MT didn't like the messages the car was sending!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...vette_zr1.html

More like they are pucies and can't handle a car of that caliber! The messages were thier "feelings" of puckerness
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
RDOVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was he was intimidated by the ZR1? He looked a little tense. Maybe not used to a car with that much power on street tires?

If he drove the R8 at the same speeds as the ZR1, the R8 would not have been a finesse car, he would have been in the ditch!

I let an experienced pro-road racer drive my car. His only negative comment was-- when he got a little squirmy out of one of the turns; he said, he was used to more traction from street tires (whatever that meant). My opinion is that the car is deceptively fast and may not be realized until the limits of physics have taken over the Michelins.

Maybe I'm just a little touchy about the review.

Last edited by RDOVETTE; 08-20-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like he wants one of these
Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Kane00ZR1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop

More like they are pucies and can't handle a car of that caliber! The messages were thier "feelings" of puckerness
I believe it is spelled ***** or *****'s in plural.

And if you watch any of the videos and listen to most of the test drivers that when driving fast the ZR1 is a handful. Anything with 638hp with a front engine that weighs 3400lbs is going to be.

All they said was if your going to push it to the limit, be prepared to do some serious driving.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

he didnt like it because it was too involving? HAHAHAHAHAH Give me a break

EDIT - After reading the whole article, it's clear the Corvette was not beat out by a miata or rustang....its simply one mans personal opinion on what he feels is his best drivers car.

Not to say the Vette is a bad drivers car, I've seen and read enough about how much of a joy it is to behold a ZR1 is from race drivers alike and journalists. It's still an amazing car regardless of one mans comments. I'm not surprised the Zr1 wasn't as stable as the R8 because it has 400hp, it's heavier and equp w/ 4WD.

But its a matter of taste, whats cool and satisfying to one may not be to the other.

He prefers safe and sound handling...which I'm not surprised, since most race cars don't have the same brutality of the ZR1, wqhich he may be used to. But thats what makes it special...tame? I havnt heard of a 640hp ***** cat supercar.

And that's what the ZR1 is, its a silly overpowered supercar. Not a small focused little roadster the miata is.

There is one comment he made that really disturbed me, he mentioned that in the miata he's going all out as in foot to the floor in one of the bends, and in the Zr1 he couldn't do that...WELL NO SH#T It also laps the track 14 seconds slower

Point is 638hp in a car that weighs 3400lbs is not to be thrashed about like a Miata, no way no how...ridiculous comment imo

Last edited by niteriderc5; 08-20-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

If a 167HP Miata is the 3rd best drivers car, God help us all. When I wanted to rent a Vert. to cruise US Highway 1 on vacation, given, it was the best choice (vs. the pathetic V6 Mustang Vert). Yes, it is 'initially' fun to drive and gives 'good (not great)' feedback. But after a day with the car you become bored. Why? For the exact reason Pobst rated it so high. Going foot-flat around corners... You quickly realize it is not due to a super-natural suspension, but due to a weak 4 cylinder 167HP engine. After day 1 you want more HP. IMHO, a car that does not thrill when you hit the gas could NEVER be rated '3rd best drivers car'. Yes, turns are fun... But so are the straight-aways... I'm not saying you need 638HP, but the Miata would need a good 250-300HP to be considered fun - long term. And the majority of performance 'Miata' guys agree, as they quickly add SC or turbos. Of course then they realize 'new' weaknesses in the Miata. Hence the huge aftermarket of suspension parts to try and correct these shortcomings.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 08-20-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default This just in....Fire still hot !!!

Wow, a really fast car is tough and kind of scary to drive. Who'd have thought? That is the kind of insightful observation that led me to cancel my Motor Trend subscription a few years ago.

What's next? Walking around the track they felt totally in control and it felt so natural it was like god made us to do this. Walking, total control, total confidence, maximum feedback from the road. /sigh.

I just can't believe they actually printed a test where they are surprised that the high powered fastest car takes more skill to drive and is a bit scary. Then ranked it low because of it. A few too many lace backed driving gloves in that crowd it looks like.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 AM
ZO6Bear
Instructor

yup yup

I haven't been able to read that mag for a long time. It really isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 AM
wickedness
Instructor

Where are the lap times for each car??
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lap times are given with each car if you look at the graphs. Interesting that they use a race car driver to determine best driver's car. It would have been more interesting to get a more potential purchaser's of a performance car's prespective.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Which cars where listed has being better "driver" cars? The Miata MX-3 and Shelby GT500 for instance. .........
Yea if you like going slow!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
monaroCountry
Pro

Originally Posted by wickedness
Where are the lap times for each car??

This list includes the ones Motortrend conducted. Its great to see the ZR1 just a smidge slower than the race track / purpose built ACR. Absolutely outstanding.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Forget all the touchy feely stuff of the article. The ZR1 turned a 1:35.8 at Laguna Seca which is the 3rd best production car lap time at the track. Just slighty behind the ACR (and it's non street legal front splitter ) @ 1:35.12 and the Devon GTX (some new Viper based American Supercar) @1:35.08. Not bad considering the other 2 cars run on R compound tires. Now of course all these times were run on different days so different track conditions can have an effect but they were all pretty close times. The next car on the list, the 997 GT3, is nearly 4 sec a lap slower.

edit: looks like monaroCounty beat me too it

Last edited by racerns; 08-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Look, I like the Corvettes better myself, that's why I own a Z06. But lap times do not make a car more fun. I doubt if I'd have any fun at all in a Forumula 1 car. But a Miata on a mountain road really would be a blast.

I don't think they expect everyone to like the cars in the same order they did. We all have different driving styles and enjoy different aspects of performance.

While I love a good forum bitch session as much as the next guy, there is no reason to take it personally.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
yellerz51
Pro

Having a Porsche and a ZR1 I can say that the ZR1 is way more of a handful.

It seems that I run out of talent much faster in the ZR1.... Not that I have much....
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Rodbuster56
Instructor

How can it be that the Camaro came in dead last?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 finishes 6th in latest Motor Trend comparison

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jschindler
Look, I like the Corvettes better myself, that's why I own a Z06. But lap times do not make a car more fun. I doubt if I'd have any fun at all in a Forumula 1 car. But a Miata on a mountain road really would be a blast.

I don't think they expect everyone to like the cars in the same order they did. We all have different driving styles and enjoy different aspects of performance.

While I love a good forum bitch session as much as the next guy, there is no reason to take it personally.

Speed is not the only parameter to measure the feel of a car. I had a Honda Prelude about 25 years ago which I drove to work - thing had no power but was a blast to drive because it was just so darn easy. My Z06 is fast as hell and I love it, but easy to drive? No way!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
This list includes the ones Motortrend conducted. Its great to see the ZR1 just a smidge slower than the race track / purpose built ACR. Absolutely outstanding.

I didnt know that Race track purpose race cars came with A/C and a radio, I think you are refering to the Viper Competition coupe, the ACR is geared for the track, but is definately a street car, people need to get over it already
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
wickedness
Instructor

Originally Posted by monaroCountry

The ACR is NOT a race car. So please get over it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 finishes 6th in latest Motor Trend comparison