Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sigh... let my dealership do an oil change, what do you guys think of this pic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Muir
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh... let my dealership do an oil change, what do you guys think of this pic?

The grime around the decorative rocker cover cap has been "swiped" clear as if done by a finger, and I noticed this gouge/abraision in the cap.

I can turn the cap by hand... I have never tried to do this, OBVIOUSLY, because it's pretty well described in the oil change docs as a DECORATIVE CAP...

So I have a few questions:

A) Is this cap locktited from the factory, requiring a lot of force to break loose?

B) I have read about retaining tabs that can break off if the cap is removed forcefully... What is this all about? Anyone have more info? If I can turn the cap easily by hand has this happened?

C) I have driven the car approx 100 miles before finding this, so obviously it's not hydrolocked, suggesting to me it was NOT filled via the rocker cover, but I am not clear on whether I am simply "lucky" that an insufficient amount was put into the rocker cover as well as into the dry sump tank. The tank dipstick reads about 3/4 up the scale (between mid and top dots) so I am certain it was not filled ONLY via the rocker panel cap...

Any other thoughts? I plan on heading down to said dealership some time this weekend to ream them about this; after this the work was done I noticed grubby oily hand prints on the fenders, which I complained about and the service mgr was pissed at his guy for not using a mat. This is minor obviously, but now that I've found this apparent attempt at removing the rocker panel cap... I'm not happy.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Muir
Advanced

Oh and this is a 2007 MY car if it makes any diff.

This dealership does sell Z06's, they even have 2 or 3 on the lot, 2008's and 2009's I think. If someone can confirm for me that the cap can NOT be removed by hand then if they try to spin some bull**** about it being normal I will ask them to show me removal of the cap on their new cars.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
satans csex
Pro

INVESTIGATOR STATUS! ihave to give you the thumbs up again lol NICE job determining if it has been touched by a robot or a mechanic You made my morning and im not being sarcastic. You should take call the mechanic out and say look at this soon as he gets close to look at it , BAM SLAM THE HOOD SHUT.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
satans csex
Pro

Oh and too answer your question ... no the cap is very tight and usually you wont be able to loosen it by hand. who ever it was.... must have been their first oil change on a Zo6
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Now I know not all dealership service departments are bad, but this lack of quality done at too many Chebby places is disconcerting at best.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by stabori
Now I know not all dealership service departments are bad, but this lack of quality done at too many Chebby places is disconcerting at best.
To be fair to this particular dealership, they lost a string of techs who were good at what they do and knew the corvettes inside and out.

I was VERY happy with their guy they had up until late last year, younger in his 20's really enthusiastic could tell me everything I knew about the car and more.

Last guy I met a couple months ago was trying to tell me my whining alternator was "fine".

Who knows who did this last effort... maybe one of the salesmen on a slow day.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I think it happened:

The guy opened one drain plug, let the oil out and replaced the oil filter. After plugging it back up he pried at the decorative oil cap. He ended up damaging it, but realized that he was doing something wrong. He then proceeded to fill up the oil the correct way, and send the car over to you thinking you'd be none the wiser.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
This is how I think it happened:

The guy opened one drain plug, let the oil out and replaced the oil filter. After plugging it back up he pried at the decorative oil cap. He ended up damaging it, but realized that he was doing something wrong. He then proceeded to fill up the oil the correct way, and send the car over to you thinking you'd be none the wiser.
I am guessing the same, but two things: A) what about these retaining tabs that can break off into the rocker assembly? and B) I'd like to punish these mother ****ers for being a bunch of DUMB ASSES ... Wonder if they will extend my warranty over this.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me at the level of stupidity and lack of training in GM dealerships. Not only that but the fact that they tried to pass it off like nothing ever happened. All too common unfortunately and is a large reason Gm is not attracting more buyers. The product is better but the dealership experience still sucks.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From THIS thread:

"There is a cap on the right valve cover under the decorative cover. Attempting to remove this cap can break the retaining tabs, requiring removal of the valve cover to retrieve broken pieces. Under no circumstances should you attempt to fill the engine oil system through this cap."

Your decorative cover turns, but you're not able to remove it right? I think this means that the seal is broken but the tabs are still intact (just a guess).

I think they should open up the valve covers to ensure that the tabs are in place, and replace the right side valve cover with a new one - with a new sealed decorative cap.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6400hp
It never ceases to amaze me at the level of stupidity and lack of training in GM dealerships. Not only that but the fact that they tried to pass it off like nothing ever happened. All too common unfortunately and is a large reason Gm is not attracting more buyers. The product is better but the dealership experience still sucks.
To be fair, it would have been only one person trying to pass it off as if nothing happened. I doubt very much a culpable tech would mention it to his service manager... They're just losing a ****load of capable people it seems, maybe they are paying less, who knows.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Muir
Advanced

From THIS thread:

"There is a cap on the right valve cover under the decorative cover. Attempting to remove this cap can break the retaining tabs, requiring removal of the valve cover to retrieve broken pieces. Under no circumstances should you attempt to fill the engine oil system through this cap."

Your decorative cover turns, but you're not able to remove it right? I think this means that the seal is broken but the tabs are still intact (just a guess).

I think they should open up the valve covers to ensure that the tabs are in place, and replace the right side valve cover with a new one - with a new sealed decorative cap.
Yeah, that's what I remember reading. Your thoughts make sense.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry about your experience.

I've been on the forum only since march and this is the forth time I've heard a dealership screwing up a simple oil change. Because of the incompetence of some dealerships I decided to do my own oil changes instead of risking a disaster. (until now I haven't changed my own oil for 20 years)

I hope you have a positive outcome with your unfortunate situation...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Sorry about your experience.

I've been on the forum only since march and this is the forth time I've heard a dealership screwing up a simple oil change. Because of the incompetence of some dealerships I decided to do my own oil changes instead of risking a disaster. (until now I haven't changed my own oil for 20 years)

I hope you have a positive outcome with your unfortunate situation...
Yeah, it sucks more because I ALWAYS do basic maintenance myself. I have done 6 oil changes on this car in ~30k miles, this is the first time I let the dealer do it and only because they had it in to swap out swaybar end links which were producing a lot of noise... SIIIGH.

Little update; spoke to the service mgr he is going to order the parts (gasket) for pulling the valve cover and checking for broken tabs etc. Hopefully we can iron this out on Saturday.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I will never let anyone else but myself do my oil changes. Even though the car is a bit difficult to jack up, I love laying under the car and looking at all the great stuff that makes up this car. My wife came running out once because she thought I might be trapped.
Gary
Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

From THIS thread:

I think that with +/- 100 miles on the car since the oil change, the tabs are long gone from under the valve cover. I bet they would come out of the oil pan drain plug though.

I would have them lay a screen under the drain plug and drain the oil just to be safe. I VERY seriously doubt there is any damage done from it, but better to be sae then sorry.

RICH
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I think that with +/- 100 miles on the car since the oil change, the tabs are long gone from under the valve cover. I bet they would come out of the oil pan drain plug though.

I would have them lay a screen under the drain plug and drain the oil just to be safe. I VERY seriously doubt there is any damage done from it, but better to be sae then sorry.

RICH
I figure they can pop the cover off and inspect the underside of the cap for "missing chunks"... they had to go somewhere and if it's not intact they can damn well find them or replace the whole thing...

Get notified of new replies

To Sigh... let my dealership do an oil change, what do you guys think of this pic?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by stabori
And this is why I asked for deposit back on the ZR1.

Chevy doesn't really have the customer service for that price of a car nor a Z.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06

Not all Chevy dealerships really have the customer service for that price of a car nor a Z.
I fixed it for ya.

Fortunately for those close enough to take advantage of the good dealers, there are some of us that are responsible enough to handle it.

RICH
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Muir
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06

Chevy doesn't really have the customer service for that price of a car nor a Z.
Did you do this because of irrational fear created from anecdotes like mine? Or because you knew for a fact the personnel at your dealership are morons?

To be quite fair, I was VERY happy with the guys at this dealership for the last ~2.5 years. They just cleaned house with their staff it seems and the new guys are a bunch of ****wits. This could happen to any vendor you currently consider reputable, when you think about it.

Of course, they're still culpable as an organization (poor training, poor supervision, lax certification, poor hiring practices... poor RETENTION practices... pick any).

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sigh... let my dealership do an oil change, what do you guys think of this pic?