Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My ls7 engine fails ,, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM
dicaprio_z06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ls7 engine fails ,, help

Hello guys

i have 07 z06 and my engine fails due to oil pump fails (the engine F***ed up)
i don't know if it's covered by the warranty or not
i spoke to the service manager he told we received a report from GM refusing to change the engine.

the car modified with kooks headers and VR intake only does it drops the warranty Bcoz that's their reason to refuse

so what to do? any advice?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 AM
jmalto
Advanced

Sorry to hear your motor let go, was the tune modified and when the engine let go what were you doing? (At the track or on the street?)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 AM
dicaprio_z06
Heel & Toe

thnx for the quick reply

the engine not yet tuned
i was driving at the highway in about 120 km/h then it's engine suddenly stopped i try to start it again with low oil pressure warning i tooked it to the dealer and that's what happend
now i'm waiting a reply from them.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 AM
jmalto
Advanced

Hmm, if I am not mistaken you were doing 75 which isn't outrageous by any means and normal highway speeds in most areas. Was the car driven hard before the incident occurred or were there any indications (noises, smells, etc.) that there was an issue? Has this car ever been to the track before?

Your mods may of thrown the tune off a little bit which is why GM is denying the warranty work, but I am sure others that have similar mods will speak up if that is the case. I know on my older car that adding headers and a CAI setup did require a tune because it made the car run a little lean.

If they deny the work I would ask for them to provide proof that your mods caused the oil pressure issues/blown motor or at least give an explanation of how they determined your mods caused this issue.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Cor Dame
Intermediate

Sorry to hear this.
I had the same a year ago when i was driving on the highway.
A valve broke when i was driving 55 miles/hour and the engine was making about 1000 rpm.
The engine had no modifications and was cmpletely destroyed with also a crack in the cilinder.
It took me almost 5 month`s before i had my car back with a new engine.
Becaus i did done some track day`s they did not wanted to replace the engine.
When my legal advisor made contact with them then things where changing, but it took a wile
I wish you much luck.

Grtz,Hans
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM
dicaprio_z06
Heel & Toe

wel

i phone my advisor and ask him what he asked the tech about the main cause he said the modification and he didn't mention the oil pump

i think the dealer is cheating and not sending the report they say modification without any indications
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Sorry for your loss.

Perhaps it's time to change dealerships (different city) and try this again. Should you still have difficulty, legal advice is in order.

Red Cell.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Perhaps it's time to change dealerships (different city) and try this again. Should you still have difficulty, legal advice is in order.

Something smells, here.
Chevrolet's made it quite clear a[ny] Zs that've been tuned, then frag, will not be covered under their warranty.

Trouble is?
This guy didn't have his car tuned.
Time for action, a new LS7's ~$20,000, certainly merits hiring a mouthpiece to help mount a fight.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Daytona-flyer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the headers and intake, it may be problematic getting GM on his side. Going to another dealer wont help as the claim refusal due to engine mods is now on record. It is surely worth trying though.

Additionally, the poster, is in Ethiopia. I doubt that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies outside the U.S.

OTOH, the NEW GM is supposed to be more customer friendly.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Kooks Headers and Vararam without a tune can cause detonation / pinging. Ask me how I know.

Another '07 on the list. Ouch.

Can't deny warranty for parts not related to drivetrain, but if my motor ever let go, I would be in the exact same boat. This is why I am taking every precaution to make sure the motor doesn't let go. If I had an '07, I would change the rockers and valve springs post haste. Thankfully my '08 was built 11/07, so hopefully my only concern will be dry sump, and it will be a long time before I am good enough to stress it to failure on a road course.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 08-12-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
OldZR-1Guy
Racer

I was told by one of the Forum's supporting vendor's (Chevy dealer) that installing headers would void the warranty on the engine. I've been following all of these threads carefully and I'm still uncertain as to what's covered and what's not. I think if I get any work done on the car I will make sure to use a shop that has it's own warranty, Katech, Lingenfelter, etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry about your problems. You are a long way from Katech but my suggestion is to buy a new motor and ship it to Katech for rebuilding and then install it. I am sure Jason at Katech can tell you how to get their tune into your car.

Jim
Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldZR-1Guy
I was told by one of the Forum's supporting vendor's (Chevy dealer) that installing headers would void the warranty on the engine.

First I'd heard of [that], my friend.
Though, it doesn't surprise me either.

I've been following all of these threads carefully and I'm still uncertain as to what's covered and what's not.
I've been following the failure threads, myself.
Thought I'd a pretty good idea what it took to void Chevrolet's warranty, too; but, not anymore.

I think if I get any work done on the car I will make sure to use a shop that has it's own warranty, Katech, Lingenfelter, etc.
Under the circumstances, a sage decision.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
With the headers and intake, it may be problematic getting GM on his side.
Apparently it is problematic.
Thing is up to this point, it was my understanding only tunes and/or anything where the engine's opened voided warranty.
So much for my take.

Going to another dealer wont help as the claim refusal due to engine mods is now on record. It is surely worth trying though.
Yup, at this point the OP has nothing to lose.

Additionally, the poster, is in Ethiopia. I doubt that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies outside the U.S.
Thought his bio said Kuwait.
Could be the Moon for all it'd matter & you'd still be correct, the M-M Act wouldn't apply. OP's SOL.

OTOH, the NEW GM is supposed to be more customer friendly.

But they are, friendly as hell!!!
'Cept when it'll nick 'em $20 big for one of their defective LS7s.
Then GM's not so friendly and it's back to business as usual.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

ok lets cut the BS guys, GM can do what they want, but, it is up to you to hire a lawyer and go to court to prove your case...haven't you all read the thousand posts about this topic?
It's only against the law when you get caught or sued...in the case of GM, the M&M law can be applied in court (maybe) but you'll have to GET THERE in order for GM to be "forced" to do anything. the GET THERE part is what is expensive.
Point being is, you got aftermarket parts, and that's a deal breaker on warranty work...sucks, and we don't like it either but such is life...we can all debate this (again) but that won't help the op, and it doesn't matter was "we" hear of what is ok or not from A, B or C dealer opinion, in the end it is what the GM rep says, in the op's case, aftermarket parts present = no warranty...

I would contact the rep and talk with him to understand what information was given to him, and go from there.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

If the warranty booklet has the same language as the U.S. warranty, GM has agreed to warrant the loss unless it was CAUSED by an aftermarket part or calibration. If the engine failed because of a failed oil pump, I don't see how that could have been caused by headers or airbox. Maybe a mechanic could explain otherwise.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
If the warranty booklet has the same language as the U.S. warranty, GM has agreed to warrant the loss unless it was CAUSED by an aftermarket part or calibration. If the engine failed because of a failed oil pump, I don't see how that could have been caused by headers or airbox. Maybe a mechanic could explain otherwise.
I'm with you on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To My ls7 engine fails ,, help

Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Kooks Headers and Vararam without a tune can cause detonation / pinging. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

Originally Posted by EViL427
Another '07 on the list. Ouch.

Can't deny warranty for parts not related to drivetrain, but if my motor ever let go, I would be in the exact same boat. This is why I am taking every precaution to make sure the motor doesn't let go. If I had an '07, I would change the rockers and valve springs post haste. Thankfully my '08 was built 11/07, so hopefully my only concern will be dry sump, and it will be a long time before I am good enough to stress it to failure on a road course.
Originally Posted by Landru

First I'd heard of [that], my friend.
Though, it doesn't surprise me either.

I've been following the failure threads, myself.
Thought I'd a pretty good idea what it took to void Chevrolet's warranty, too; but, not anymore.

Yes, This was known awhile back.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1565254040
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This Warranty issue keeps cropping up here with dreadful regularity.

As far as I can see, GM's attitude to Warranty issues is about the same as any other major manufacturer.

Apart from my Z06, I have owned automobile products from many other manufacturers - VW/Audi group cars in particular for the last ten years.

VW's attitude to modifications/warranty issues for instance, is to all intents and purposes the same as GM's - you mod it, and it breaks - you pay the bill.

All of my VW cars have been modified - one has run at double the standard design output - around 200bhp/litre - for more than 100,000miles.
It has done this using the standard engine/ gearbox internals, driveshafts, running gear,etc

I have never had any power train Warrany issues with my VW products, - because I have had no failures - nothing has gone wrong, so the Warranty is not an issue!
If something had gone wrong, I don't think I would have got very far with a Warranty claim, but then I wouldn't have even bothered trying one on, because the car is so heavily modified.

Warranties only become an issue when there are problems - then the nit picking begins, and all the small print you never bothered to read in the first place becomes all too important an issue.

I was happy enough modifying my VW cars because I was confident that there was enough headroom in the basic design to allow me to up the power output without fear of a major blowup.
I would not have modified the cars had I the slightest fear that I was going to be dogged with reliability issues whilst under Warranty - I would have left them standard.

Each Z06 owner has to consider the proposition - do I consider that there is enough headroom in the basic design of the Z06, to allow me to modify my vehicle and reasonably expect it to remain reliable, whilst under the warranty period.

It is a personal choice - there are hundreds of pages of debate on this forum, to help you make up your mind one way or the other.

The choice is simple - if you consider that within the Z06 design, there is a good potential for reliability problems, and you value the Warranty -then you leave the car completely standard, and sleep easy at night.

If however you think there is evidence enough to indicate plenty of headroom left in the design to allow you to make the mods you want - then go ahead, and mod away to your heart's content.

If it goes pop then that's tough - back to the drawing board - but surely don't expect GM to pick up the bill on the way.

Last edited by songman3; 08-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by songman3
This Warranty issue keeps cropping up here with dreadful regularity.

If it goes pop then that's tough - back to the drawing board - but surely don't expect GM to pick up the bill on the way.

I'll only add that if it goes pop and your modification was the cause, then don't expect GM to pick up the bill. If the oil pump failed and your mod was headers, GM owes you a new engine. It really is that simple.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My ls7 engine fails ,, help