Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Reduced Engine Power getting ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

A new slant as I have been having problems with "reduced engine power"

The 1st thing I would do is to take a look at the connection at the starter motor where there is a small black cable that runs back to the alternator. It is called the fusible link, but most times it does not fuse and if you get an increase in current (electric water pump, fans, big amplifier) it gets hot, resistence goes up, and the ability to charge the battery and run the car in general is compromised.

So 1st mod is to scrap that cable altogether and connect a new 2AWG cable directly from the alternator to the post at the side of the fuse box

In doing this, you are assured that you have continuous power to all circuits at all times

Maybe.....................
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

A few months after I bought my 08 new, the reduced engine power thing went on a few times in a couple of days. Limped to the dealership during one of the episodes and they diagnosed it as a bad pedal/tps. They ordered a new unit, changed it and it has been fine over a year later.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Flooznie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah. Took the throttle body apart, and found that the blade had some burrs on it, and some scratches on the intake portion. Took some steel wool and some sandpaper and put it back together. Problem hasn't returned since then. Looks like that fixed it.

Paul
Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flooznie
Yah. Took the throttle body apart, and found that the blade had some burrs on it, and some scratches on the intake portion. Took some steel wool and some sandpaper and put it back together. Problem hasn't returned since then. Looks like that fixed it.

Paul
Nice to know. Hope that is a permanent fix.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
1988Bullitt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P2138 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D/E voltage correlation.

Usually this is a throttle pedal issue, there is only a few things that should set this code a short in the circuits, bad engine ecu, or accelerator pedal position / throttle pedal position sensor.

I'll be surprised if cleaning the throttle body fixes it.

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 01-18-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM
jatolbert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The code you're getting is for APP2 HIGH VOLTAGE. Just from the code description and criteria for setting it, you can conclude a few different things,

1: The 5 volt reference to APP2 is good. Without it, you can't have high voltage.
2: The sensor return circuit from the APP to the PCM is good. If there were high resistance in the circuit, you could not have high voltage.
3: The connectors/connections are good. Again, with high resistance in the connections, you won't have high voltage on that circuit.
4: It cannot be the tune. Conditions for setting the code require the voltage to be over 4.5 volts for more than 12.5 seconds. You cannot tune that in or out.
5: It's not a TPS/ETC problem. That would have it's own separate set of codes.

The best part about OBD2 diagnostics is, for alot of the codes, they're so descriptive, with a good understanding of the systems, you can deduce alot. This particular one, it is safe to deduce that you need a pedal assembly.
I ended up buying this car from the guy without him telling me it had this problem. He never got it fixed but it made it through the first few days of ownership without doing it. I replaced the pedal assembly, but no help. Still reading the same code. Any suggestions? A few days ago it stated doing the problem continuously but ended up just being bad battery connection. Fixed that, then right back to same old, same old of every now and then.

Last edited by jatolbert; 11-12-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 AM
jatolbert
Racer

Originally Posted by 1988Bullitt
P2138 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D/E voltage correlation.

Usually this is a throttle pedal issue, there is only a few things that should set this code a short in the circuits, bad engine ecu, or accelerator pedal position / throttle pedal position sensor.

I'll be surprised if cleaning the throttle body fixes it.
It didnt, got the car 2 weeks after you posted this message. You were right. Please offer suggestions.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Polodinks123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dealt with this for 9 months? take it to a chevy dealer....IMO
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 AM
jatolbert
Racer

Originally Posted by Polodinks
you dealt with this for 9 months? take it to a chevy dealer....IMO
I'm about to however I found this thread in feburary and saw where the previous owner took it to the dealership numerous times with no solution.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
jatolbert
Racer

Originally Posted by Coldmale
Hi

A new slant as I have been having problems with "reduced engine power"

The 1st thing I would do is to take a look at the connection at the starter motor where there is a small black cable that runs back to the alternator. It is called the fusible link, but most times it does not fuse and if you get an increase in current (electric water pump, fans, big amplifier) it gets hot, resistence goes up, and the ability to charge the battery and run the car in general is compromised.

So 1st mod is to scrap that cable altogether and connect a new 2AWG cable directly from the alternator to the post at the side of the fuse box

In doing this, you are assured that you have continuous power to all circuits at all times

Maybe.....................
That sounds excellent!! I figured out the other day that a loose battery connection will make it read the code and go into reduced engine power virtually continuously. Thanks a ton. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Reduced Engine Power getting ridiculous