Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 Horn Alarm started goin off on its own

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2008 Z06 Horn Alarm started goin off on its own

I washed my Z06 this morning and let let is sit half a day before waxing it. It is a 2008 2LZ with 1500 miles. While I was getting ready to take my wax off a few hours after the wash, the alarm started going off on its own. I didnt have it set, the fob was in the car on the seat and the doors were unlocked initially. Well I couldnt get it to shoot off no matter what I did with the fob so I opened the trunk and took the negative terminal off of the battery. I let is set a few mins and hooked it back up and it started again. I unhooked it again for about 5 mins and hooked it up and it fixed it I thought. The car starts, the doors lock etc but my horn wont work and my alarm when I set it wont chirp my horn. At first it did and the horn sounded sick or something, kinda like it was half as loud as normal when you set the alarm but than it quit altogether. So basically I can start my car and drive it, lock my doors from the fob but I have no horn at the steering column and no chirp when I lock my doors from my fob. Anyone have any ideas at all. Yes I squirted the engine compartment lightly this morning and probably got something wet, but the fuses and relays are all covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a short. I would let it sit or dry with compressed air or leaf blower and see if that cures the problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM
N17RO
Instructor

Originally Posted by nutrientcobra
I washed my Z06 this morning and let let is sit half a day before waxing it. It is a 2008 2LZ with 1500 miles. While I was getting ready to take my wax off a few hours after the wash, the alarm started going off on its own. I didnt have it set, the fob was in the car on the seat and the doors were unlocked initially. Well I couldnt get it to shoot off no matter what I did with the fob so I opened the trunk and took the negative terminal off of the battery. I let is set a few mins and hooked it back up and it started again. I unhooked it again for about 5 mins and hooked it up and it fixed it I thought. The car starts, the doors lock etc but my horn wont work and my alarm when I set it wont chirp my horn. At first it did and the horn sounded sick or something, kinda like it was half as loud as normal when you set the alarm but than it quit altogether. So basically I can start my car and drive it, lock my doors from the fob but I have no horn at the steering column and no chirp when I lock my doors from my fob. Anyone have any ideas at all. Yes I squirted the engine compartment lightly this morning and probably got something wet, but the fuses and relays are all covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I had this a few weeks ago. Aparently a not too known problem with these is that if water makes it to the top/main horn then it causes a short. Firstly have a look at the fuse. Mine was blown but then I also had to have the horn replaced but they did it under warranty.

But same as you it was parked up after being washed and the alarm was going off.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
nutrientcobra
Instructor

Originally Posted by N17RO
I had this a few weeks ago. Aparently a not too known problem with these is that if water makes it to the top/main horn then it causes a short. Firstly have a look at the fuse. Mine was blown but then I also had to have the horn replaced but they did it under warranty.

But same as you it was parked up after being washed and the alarm was going off.
Thanks, well it dried out and everything works as should except one horn is dead. The alarm works and the horn works at the steering column, but I must have killed one horn. The relay is good and the fuse is good. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Horn Alarm started goin off on its own

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 Horn Alarm started goin off on its own