Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Modded GTR vs. SC c6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMade
The fact that the GTR was faster in the 1/4 is not all that surprising to me. What is surprising is the fact that the GTR destroyed the Z06 from a roll like that. I mean seriously... 5 to 6 car lengths up to 130mph Was the Z06 having traction issues through the first 2 gears or was the GTR just rolling out in every gear? I would have thought the Z06 weighing roughly 700lbs less would have made up for the 80 less HP.

BTW... Amazing pair of cars you have there Wanderer Z06
i only have a K&N intake and lost to a 620awhp GTR by 2-3 car lengths from 60-160 in a closed course, and i don't have more than 450rwhp
Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
That video had some misrepresentation in it if I remember correctly and has nothing to do with a true 600awhp AMS built GTR vs a 530whp Z06.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
^^^^^^^^^
That video had some misrepresentation in it if I remember correctly and has nothing to do with a true 600awhp AMS built GTR vs a 530whp Z06.
Agreed.

and how the hell can anyone even understand what the hell is going on LOL

Video it is!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The trap speed of both Wanderer Z06 cars was almoust the same, right? so how come the difference in that much from a roll?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 AM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wanderer Z06 How much power does your Z have??

620rwhp Only beat 480rwhp C6 ZO6 by 1-2 cars from 20 - 160mph and Z was catching up.

And I drove both cars the other day Z is faster from 50+mph roll.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:00 AM
IQ AUTO VETTE
Racer

Stock to stock, we know the Z is faster, my cousin has the 525awhp, and we are toe to toe, and I'm all stock, so go figure.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by venomws7
Wanderer Z06 How much power does your Z have??

620rwhp Only beat 480rwhp C6 ZO6 by 1-2 cars from 20 - 160mph and Z was catching up.

And I drove both cars the other day Z is faster from 50+mph roll.

My Z06 has 530rwhp and 498 ft lbs with the Katech Torquer cam.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z-Power
The trap speed of both Wanderer Z06 cars was almoust the same, right? so how come the difference in that much from a roll?

Your right! So far the track times are very close if you compare the best times I've run with the Z06 and the best time my son ran last night in the GT-R.

There are only a couple of things I can think of that could possibly be the reason why there was so much of a difference between the GT-R and the Z in the roll race. One thing is the humidity level at the track earlier last night was 70% and like I said all the cars were running quite a bit slower than normal as you can tell by my times with the Z06 compared to the normal times I run which are in the low 11's at about 128- 129 mph. I would Imagine the GT-R which we have no other times to compare to since it was it's first time out at the dragstrip with the current set up was also running slower than it's potential. Also remember the LC problem we had with the GT-R did hurt it's potential times. If we had figured it out earlier in the night I'm sure the GT-R would have run at least 2-3 tenths faster and maybe 1-3 mph more last night even with the bad humidity issue.

Other thing is we left the track late and it had cooled down quite a bit and when we did do the roll we were about 35miles north of the track so that might have also contributed to the results...I'm not sure.

The other thing is that the GT-R really picks up so much momentum after 3rd gear! It just keeps pulling very hard. Drove it today for a few minutes and all I can say is wow! BTW Humidity was much lower today.

Guys I was just as shocked as you are that the Z06 got walked so badly from a roll last night and in fact if the weather holds up ( Rain in the forecast for tomorrow night) I'm going to get my son and do it again in the earlier part of the day and see if the results are the same.

When we first got the GT-R the Z06 had all the mods installed it currently has and we did run them at the dragstrp and the GT-R managed a best time of 11.5 @121.70 mph which was for almost a year the record for a stock GT-R It's on dragtimes if you want to look it up. The Z06 ran it's normal low 11's and I think that night it saw 129mph so the Z was faster for sure. We also did race the two from a dig both with OEM tires on a private track and the GT-R got out of the hole first with the awd as expected and when the Z hooked it caught up to the GT-R at about 100mph and continued to pull away by 7-8 car lengths up to about 140mph.

If we can get them out today I'll post the results up in this thread.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 06-28-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQWK
modded gtr vs. modded zo6 from a roll-CLOSED COURSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRO7OquBjWE

FORWARD VIDEO TO THE 2:00 MARK
I think that LPE car had a modified gear ratio too, BTW.

Back to this scenario.....

Even though the GTR is 700-800 pounds heavier, that weight disadvantage it has against the Z06 is basically nullified by the awesome gearing it has. 410 gearing vs. 343 gearing is dramatic like 100 RWHP. So the GTR, in my mind, effectively has 70+ Wheel Horse Power Advantage. That is A LOT!!

I am not suprised one bit by this outcome.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 06-28-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

No luck ruining them today it rained earlier than what the weather forecast predicted so I'll try again as soon as the weather clears up which may not be until next MONDAY according to the forecast on weather.com

Rochester weather

Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Vladcanada
Racer

in this video GT-R won and they had AC accidently on. GO figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RIur-G4Cg
Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladcanada

the computer turns off the ac compressor clutch at WOT on every car made since early 90's. so that really has no effect when on WOT. it has big effects on part throttle though.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladcanada

Between 280kmh and 300kmh he kept saying... come back here, come back here, come back here... LOL.

Last edited by TaylorMade; 06-28-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Muir
Advanced

Not sure why everyone is assuming claimed power figures from chassis dynos are 100% accurate and comparable... they are not.

One guy's "620WHP" GTR is not necessarily identical to another with the same power figure on a completely different shop's dyno and conditions etc etc.

If you are seeing an intake only Z06 hang close to a "600WHP" GTR, you are seeing a GTR owner bull****ting about the car's power level.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Muir
Not sure why everyone is assuming claimed power figures from chassis dynos are 100% accurate and comparable... they are not.

One guy's "620WHP" GTR is not necessarily identical to another with the same power figure on a completely different shop's dyno and conditions etc etc.

If you are seeing an intake only Z06 hang close to a "600WHP" GTR, you are seeing a GTR owner bull****ting about the car's power level.

There are only about 4 - 6 600 to 625 awhp GT-R's out there right now and they are all Turbo upgraded GT-R's done by US shops. I think it is kind of funny how the US shops are always taking a Japanese car and making them faster than the Japanese shops can.

There are a lot more GT-R 's running the HKS 570 kit which is the 1st step in modifying the GT-R to get more ponies with minimum $$$'s invested and like it's name, the HKS kit puts out about 550-570 crank HP not wheel....unless they use race gas!!! That is what that car is running in that Russian Video.

The GT-R in this video runs the same set up that I do only he has a upgraded intercooler which gives him about 15 -17 awhp more than I have on mine for now. He nows holds the MPH record. Notice he's using the updated LC so now problems there with the transmission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAy1RIZKixM

This is why my Z06 with 530rwhp cannot stay with my GT-R. I would have to upgrade my Z a bit to hang with it.

So a lot of the GT-R owners out there that claim their cars have 600+ awhp are either BS or don't understand the difference between WHP and Crank hp and should be taken with a grain of salt....allthough I must say I've seen the HP bragging game played out with every brand of car at just about every auto event I've ever attended. Usually 50%truth and 50% BS!

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 06-29-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 AM
IQ AUTO VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
:
This is why my Z06 with 530rwhp cannot stay with my GT-R. I would have to upgrade my Z a bit to hang with it.

SO Wanderer do you have upgrades turbos? cause just the HKS 570 with out the upgraded turbos will not beat a 530rwhp Z, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IQ AUTO VETTE
SO Wanderer do you have upgrades turbos? cause just the HKS 570 with out the upgraded turbos will not beat a 530rwhp Z, just my 2 cents.
Without a doubt it won't.....from a roll......dig will be a drivers race!! Yes, he does!! The real deal will be once the ECU comes out and real boost numbers can be run and the limits of the GTRs rotating assembly can be found.

A car like Wanderer's could hit 700awhp easily with the current turbo upgrade on it pump/meth or a race map.

That when the real fun will begin how much will the GTRs really hold!!

Get notified of new replies

To Modded GTR vs. SC c6 Z06

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jasil
Without a doubt it won't.....from a roll......dig will be a drivers race!! Yes, he does!! The real deal will be once the ECU comes out and real boost numbers can be run and the limits of the GTRs rotating assembly can be found.

A car like Wanderer's could hit 700awhp easily with the current turbo upgrade on it pump/meth or a race map.

That when the real fun will begin how much will the GTRs really hold!!
Hi Jasil

Your right my car would easliy make 750+awhp with the turbo upgrades that are on it now and a new intercooler if we weren't limited wth the boost at only....22psi which is just getting into the efficient range of these turbos Until the Haltech ECU system is out which it will be by the middle of August. Then we will not only see more power come out of these cars but we can adjust launch control, have different octane maps and so many other tuning parameters that will help make the car a lot better and easier to work on. BTW when the car goes back to AMS in the fall were putting a couple of 35r's on there and upgrading the rods and pistons and should be making a lot more than it is now...You know I've got a great sponsor and there committed!

BTW how are you liking your Z06? It is a great car and IMO is one of the best platforms for modifying. I know for sure once the 06 and 07's start getting into the 30k range at the auctions you'll see a lot more guys and shops buying them and building monsters. I predict it becomes the next Supra as far as drag racing and mile runs goes if you know what I mean!!

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 06-29-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE.... Spoke to my buddy today and he said his friends 719 hp GTR is in Georgia at a performance shop getting the work done as we speak. He said hes supposed to have the car back soon. Wanderer any idea what shop that might be? He still swears that its 719 whp. Hes supposed to get it back soon. The owner lives in Queens NY. Thats all I got for now.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Hi Jasil

Your right my car would easliy make 750+awhp with the turbo upgrades that are on it now and a new intercooler if we weren't limited wth the boost at only....22psi which is just getting into the efficient range of these turbos Until the Haltech ECU system is out which it will be by the middle of August. Then we will not only see more power come out of these cars but we can adjust launch control, have different octane maps and so many other tuning parameters that will help make the car a lot better and easier to work on. BTW when the car goes back to AMS in the fall were putting a couple of 35r's on there and upgrading the rods and pistons and should be making a lot more than it is now...You know I've got a great sponsor and there committed!

BTW how are you liking your Z06? It is a great car and IMO is one of the best platforms for modifying. I know for sure once the 06 and 07's start getting into the 30k range at the auctions you'll see a lot more guys and shops buying them and building monsters. I predict it becomes the next Supra as far as drag racing and mile runs goes if you know what I mean!!

Hey Wanderer , you seem to be the most honest GTR owner i have seen on the forum.. when i bought my Z, i really wanted a GTR .but after reading on all the forums the trannys are VERY VERY weak... i then choose the C6Z..

a few questions:

1. what are you doing for the tranny? meaning i still love the car , just do not want to change it every 2 months..
2.how long is the tranny lasting at what power level?
3.how much is the upgrade , if there is one?
4.does AMS have any tranny that can handle over 750rwhp?

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: [Z06] Modded GTR vs. SC c6 Z06