Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Different colors on HUD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 PM
AKAKillroy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddyk
I just want to thank you for making me so welcomed in this open forum!!!
Welcome to the forums! Remember everyone is entitled to an opinion

I am sure it is possibly, but based on what I know about the HUD it is a florescent display and the filter inside is green, there is know way I know of that it can change color unless it was say OLED, but back in 2005 when the C6 was introduced OLED was not available commercially yet. It could have a filter over it, but florescent displays are a light blue natively, and the green it obtained by a filter, you could maybe replace the filter with a red one, but it would be a real pain to do because you would have to disassemble the unit down to the bare glass display. Maybe someone here has some pictures of the HUD disassembled and maybe we can take a look for sure. Sure would be neat for it to change colors though.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lysergic acid diethylamide, a semisynthetic chemical compound of the ergoline family. While a single dose of LSD may be between 100 and 500 micrograms — an amount roughly equal to one-tenth the mass of a grain of sand — threshold effects can be felt with as little as 25 micrograms. Generally, the dosage that will produce a threshold psychotropic effect in humans is considered to be 20 to 30 µg.
Some psychological effects may include an experience of changing colors. man
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
Lysergic acid diethylamide, a semisynthetic chemical compound of the ergoline family. While a single dose of LSD may be between 100 and 500 micrograms — an amount roughly equal to one-tenth the mass of a grain of sand — threshold effects can be felt with as little as 25 micrograms. Generally, the dosage that will produce a threshold psychotropic effect in humans is considered to be 20 to 30 µg.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Way too funny....great sense of humor Maxx
Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

Sign me up. It might help me fast forward through this crappy economy.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I hate when that happens............. //art
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yellow Jacket is spot on, there are vacuum florescent displays or VFDs. They emit light in the blue green spectrum so red would not be an option without a special filter. THe VFDs light emssions is what drives the display, LCD and OLEDs are not bright enough to act in HUD displays unless you are projecting a strong backlight through the display.

Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by z06clif
Im thinking that green is easier on the eyes and your eyes arent pulled to it when driving involuntarily. But it would be cool but is it safe?

Clif
My girlfriend's M6 has a multi-colored HUD. Pretty cool.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Most BMWs have red dash lights at night. So do jet fighters. Some study showed that red instrumentation was the best color for preventing fatigue and for best contrast.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:43 AM
tdp1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
My girlfriend's M6 has a multi-colored HUD. Pretty cool.
Not that there's anything wrong with that!:o
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '06 Z06 and a '06 BMW M6.

The M6 does have color HUD, which is pretty cool looking, but it is not as flexible as the Z's. You can't pick and choose different modes or different info to have "beamed" to you. It's only the tach, gear and MPH, if I'm not mistaken.

Although only monochromatic, I like all the info on the Z's HUD and the flexibility much better.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Maddyk,
Welcome to the forum. Open is open. is . This forum has been around long enough to vet (pun) out most of the misinformation. Most of the guys on here are VERY knowledgeable and straight forward. Use them wisely but still use them.
Gary
Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remeber correctly my Pontiac Bonneville had red dash light but green HUD lights.... not that that helps
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
Im thinking that green is easier on the eyes and your eyes arent pulled to it when driving involuntarily. But it would be cool but is it safe?

Clif
Most humans have the greatest sensitivity to green light therefore you don't have to put out as much light intensity for them to see it clearly. I don't know if partially color blind people can see green better than other colors.

Red is used in situations where night vision is required such as on submarines. The transition from looking at a red light illuminated object to seeing in darkness is easier then with other colors. For a car this means you can look at red back lit instruments and then peer down the road with not so much loss of vision. It's not a night and day difference with respect to other colors, just a little better for most humans.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Different colors on HUD???