Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ticketed for loud exhaust. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
RENNtech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticketed for loud exhaust. . .

I got pulled over the other day by a State Trooper because he said my windows were too dark and my exhaust was too loud. . .

Now, the windows I can understand. The exhaust however, I am a bit baffled. I don't argue the fact that it is loud (LT headers and B&B Fusion) and I was getting on it when I passed him. The kicker is the fact that the Trooper was a motorcycle cop. However, because of all of the rain we have been getting he was in a car.

He takes my license and registration goes back to his car and writes me two tickets. When he comes back to my car he starts asking me a lot of questions about the car, the motor, tires, exhaust, etc. I said the fact that you are a motorcycle cop (he was wearing his riding boots), I can't believe you would have a problem with my exhaust being too loud.

Long story short, we talked for another 45 mins and he tells me to just contest the tickets, set up a court date, and he will tell the judge to dismiss the tickets because I "fixed" the problems.

The best part, as I was leaving he told me to get on it because his windows were up and he wanted to hear how loud it REALLY is. I was more than happy to oblige.

to FHP

JJ
Old 05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RENNtech
I got pulled over the other day by a State Trooper because he said my windows were too dark and my exhaust was too loud. . .

Now, the windows I can understand. The exhaust however, I am a bit baffled. I don't argue the fact that it is loud (LT headers and B&B Fusion) and I was getting on it when I passed him. The kicker is the fact that the Trooper was a motorcycle cop. However, because of all of the rain we have been getting he was in a car.

He takes my license and registration goes back to his car and writes me two tickets. When he comes back to my car he starts asking me a lot of questions about the car, the motor, tires, exhaust, etc. I said the fact that you are a motorcycle cop (he was wearing his riding boots), I can't believe you would have a problem with my exhaust being too loud.

Long story short, we talked for another 45 mins and he tells me to just contest the tickets, set up a court date, and he will tell the judge to dismiss the tickets because I "fixed" the problems.

The best part, as I was leaving he told me to get on it because his windows were up and he wanted to hear how loud it REALLY is. I was more than happy to oblige.

to FHP

JJ
Confusing to say the least. Contest the tickets, of course. But I wouldn't depend on him "remembering" that he would tell the judge you fixed the problems. Personally I'd have my attorney there. Could he just not have written the tickets instead? Then he tells you to get on it as you depart? I would have been suspicious myself... another opportunity for another ticket. Very confusing.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
RENNtech
Racer

I guess you just had to be there. It would be much cheaper for me to just pay the tickets than it would be to bring along my attorney. I'll take my chances on him "remembering" me!!!

JJ
Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Why would you hire an attorney to fight 2 fix-it tickets? They don't go on your record.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why I carry a digital voice recorder in my car........get stopped recorder comes on. This way "he won't forget" in court what he said.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

sounds like another jealous one..
Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
c6z06six70rwhp
Pro

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
That is why I carry a digital voice recorder in my car........get stopped recorder comes on. This way "he won't forget" in court what he said.
haha that is the funniest, best thing i have heard!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

why cant the cop just take back tickets?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
1Fast99z
Instructor

They must not hand write their tickets there. If they did he could have just thrown them away. The tint ticket will be dropped if you fix the problem. The loud exhaust is a BS ticket. All you have to do is when in court ask the officer what mechanical devise he used to measure your exhaust. Look up your states statute in the traffic code. It will tell you the DB level that the vehicle can not exceed. Since the officer didn't use any measuring device, he has no way of knowing how loud your exhaust is.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

There is added pressure on cops to write more tickets to bring in more money. These are just fix-it-tickets and all you will need to do is find another cop to sign off the exhaust ticket and remove the tint from the front windows and get that signed off.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 05-31-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

They also record most if not all stops with remote audio and video. I can tell you judges love to hear and see a angry motorist in action, so do the rest of the people in court. Cops will write almost everything you say down on the back of the ticket and micro records are cheap and can fit in a breast pocket and look like a pen. Most cops carry these even if they are miked up. It protects cops more than it will ever hurt them and is beautiful in court.

If you do take it to court the cop might not be qualified on a decibel reader and he will not be able to testify as an expert and your ticket will be thrown out. Then again you could buy a cheap decibel reader and find out what the number is for your car and ask him in court what decibel reading did he get from your car, if he is off then have the judge walk outside to your car and prove to him the cop it wrong and you walk.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 PM
msp1055
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats also called a wiretap violation. I don't know about your state but it most Including Maryland it will get arrested. Unless of course you told or asked him if you could record.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something sounds off...

The cop is dick enough to stop you and talk for 45 minutes, but then wants to see you "get on it" as you are leaving? He's either really smart (baiting you into another ticket) or really stupid (giving you a ticket and then wanting you to play along and put on a show for him)

This is a perfect example of how inefficient the govt is - they pull you aside, lecture you, run you through a mountain of paperwork, for zero results, and then want you to smile and say thank you. If he really only wanted to give a warning/check out the car, leave the ticket book at home pal and I'd be happy to sit and talk shop/put on a show.

In the 45 minutes he BS'd with you, maybe he could have pulled over a ricer driving wrecklessly, or did something a little bit more productive to society.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM
msp1055
Pro

Originally Posted by SC TROJAN GRAD
why cant the cop just take back tickets?
If its a hand written ticket they are numbered and thus accountable to the courts which will require a voiding from a commander. If it is electronic E-Tix program, the citation is filed with the court system as soon as the officer hits the button.

Last edited by msp1055; 05-31-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 PM
dwiemers
Pro

Well, I'm curious to know what kind of ticket it is, whether it's a hand written or a printed one. I've personally had both types of tickets issued to me. One trooper even had a printer, a real one like you see in an office, in the back seat of his car! I was like wtf is goin on here.....he was set up for speedy ticket writing, lol. Anyway, I think it's nice of the cop to tell you how to go about handling the tickets though, if they were the printed ones. If they were handwritten the cop is just a jack*** for not taking them back, he basically contradicted himself, not too intelligent in my book.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
SlimSS
Instructor

You may want to check your state laws, most people do not know this, but here in Louisiana it is actually illegal to modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle. http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88285
Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

How does Ragin' Racin' stay in business

Get notified of new replies

To Ticketed for loud exhaust. . .

Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM
RENNtech
Racer

Both tickets were written electronically. I haven't had a ticket in a long time and wasn't even aware they issued "e-tickets". He told me they were already in the system so, as some of you said, he could not take them back. That's when he told me to just contest them.

When he first pulled me over, he was a real d!ck. Then, after we got to talking he lightened up and actually became really cool. That was my whole point in the post. I guess I should have been more clear about it. I have to tell you though, it sure made my day!!!

JJ
Old 05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I would talk with him forever if it gets me off from a citation, but after he writes the tickets I would not waste my time. I would have taken my tickets and wished him a crappy day. Screw him! By the way, he did you no favors. If you show up in court with the problem fixed the judge would dismiss the fine without asking for the officer's opinion. Anyway, it does not count points against your license so unless you want to return your vette to stock pay it and forget it.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 PM
KET1960
Instructor

Great story! I do hope he remembers you in court.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ticketed for loud exhaust. . .