Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Tire Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
cal333
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Tire Troubles

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are real pebble pitchers - these tires pick up even the smallest of rocks and pitch it back on the side of my ZR1 - I have installed some front splash guards but I think some of the debris is still striking the side of the body - has anyone changed their factory Michelin tires to another brand, or a different Michelin tire model that is not so "gummy"? - THANKS for suggestions or advice!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
RRGOO7
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts

I get the same thing
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

The Z06 with the Goodyear F1 did the same thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
impalass383t56
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chips and debris marks aside, I think sticky tires would be good on 540+ rwhp vehicles. Never spent 100K+ on a car either, but wouldn't the
3M clear bra material be able to be used on the car where the pebbles might be thrown up.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:43 PM
NOLA-ZR1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Stick with the Michelin's.... and try to out handle the pebble's..
Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cal333
- has anyone changed their factory Michelin tires to another brand, or a different Michelin tire model that is not so "gummy"?
1) There are no tires in ZR1 sizes that are not gummy enough to pick up gravel. Par for the course in this arena.

2) The ZR1 is an ultra high performance supercar that FINALLY has come from the factory without a tire handicap (ie GY runflats) compared to its European and American competition, and it has been specifically engineered for this tire.

Unless you are not planning on using the extra 200 HP vs and LS3 car, it would be foolish to hamstring the car with less grippy rubber. Just invest in some extensive clear bra protection.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 05-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:33 PM
NOLA-ZR1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
1) There are no tires in the the ZR1 sizes that are not gummy enough to pick up gravel. Par for the course in this arena.

2) The ZR1 is an ultra high performance supercar that FINALLY has come from the factory without a tire handicap (ie GY runflats) compared to its European and American competition, and it has been specifically engineered for this tire.

Unless you are not planning on using the extra 200 HP vs and LS3 car, it would be foolish to hamstring the car with less grippy rubber. Just invest in some extensive clear bra protection.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are real pebble pitchers - these tires pick up even the smallest of rocks and pitch it back on the side of my ZR1 - I have installed some front splash guards but I think some of the debris is still striking the side of the body - has anyone changed their factory Michelin tires to another brand, or a different Michelin tire model that is not so "gummy"? - THANKS for suggestions or advice!
While I also hear the stones; the side of my car after 9500 miles is chip free with no protection. I just waxed the car yesterday and was looking real close so I could decide if it was time for the clear or not. I think most of the noise is the stones hitting the ground effects and the inside wheel well. I can certainly detect a noticable roughness to the plastic on the inside of the wheel well. Leave the tires on; they are too awesome to remove.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
While I also hear the stones; the side of my car after 9500 miles is chip free with no protection. I just waxed the car yesterday and was looking real close so I could decide if it was time for the clear or not. I think most of the noise is the stones hitting the ground effects and the inside wheel well. I can certainly detect a noticable roughness to the plastic on the inside of the wheel well. Leave the tires on; they are too awesome to remove.
glad to see you have 9500 miles on it!...the zr1 is meant to be driven and your doing just that....
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
FAST ZR1
Instructor

I have 950 Miles on my ZR1 and after a nice bath this weekend I have several small rocks between the rockers and rear quarter. How do I get them out and how does this happen?
Love the Tires!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST ZR1
I have 950 Miles on my ZR1 and after a nice bath this weekend I have several small rocks between the rockers and rear quarter. How do I get them out and how does this happen?
Love the Tires!!!!

I see that on mine also. Going to have to investigate and see how them little devils are getting in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
cal333
Intermediate

Default Still pitchin'

THANKS everyone for the comments - I live in the upper Midwest where the roads are always full of loose stones and sand - I have always taken excellent care of my cars but these tires are ruining my joy of driving my ZR1 - its like a machine gun going off as debris pounds the body on every cross road or sandy corner - I know the sticky tires are meant to handle the high horsepower, but I would rather ease up on the throttle with harder tires than rip the paint off the car - I don't think that even the 3M clear plastic would stop paint damage as a bad stone hit blows a chip in the paint under the bra which pulls off when the plastic is changed - the front tires are available in other brands and Michelin models, but the rear size is Michelin PS2 only - I hope another tire manufacturer comes up with a replacement tire - I'm switching! - meantime, I might switch the front tires now and put with the rear tire racket since the fronts are the major pebble pitchers
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

i have the same problem with the pebbles in the panels also!

If you look at the front aspect of the rear wheel well, you will see a that that at the top of the air deflector that bolts to the carbon fiber side skirt has a gap between it and the wheel well. This weekend I am going to try and unbolt this deflector and dig all those rocks out. Then I'm going to cut some foam or similar material to try and block the area off.

We will see if that stops the little buggers from getting in!

cheers!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Last edited by Blow N By; 07-25-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
yellerz51
Pro

The solution is simple, more throttle.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Zapper
Drifting

Default You think you have stuff to dodge

In my infinite wisdom I bought a beautiful place out in the country over five years ago. A bucolic driveway with a grass strip up the middle. One of the first calls I made was to a paving company to give me a lovely 12 foot wide paved road..................ooooooops, my wife said no way are you paving that road its what makes this place so special.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On top of the 800 foot gravel driveway I have to dodge all of the debris on the country side roads, then the gravel trucks on the Trans Canada Highway got my windshield already. Tiny chip below the sight line on the black area of the windshield base. Oh well, I can't take it with me.

The sticky tires must stay even though I have to patiently drive the gravel stones off slowly as I leave my property.............

There is another thread about splash guards coming for us.......

The Zap
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Zapper
ooooooops, my wife said no way are you paving that road its what makes this place so special.
My response to her would have been something along the lines of, "Dear, it's getting paved. This isn't a question it's a statement. Have a day." Sometimes, you have to not compromise. This would have been one of those times. :-)

jas

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Tire Troubles

Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM
IndyPacer
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Somebody needs to come up with one that mounts like the OEM and resembles the OEM rears. They would sell like hot cakes! IMO. Can't believe they came out without front protection, unless it impeded the air flow in the 200MPH target!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

This thread must be a late April Fool's joke, right?

Decades of lambasting Chevy for sabotaging the Corvette with inferior rubber, they finally stump up for some decent Michelins and someone complains that they are too "gummy"!

The tires are the only way the very expensive 638hp gets to the road...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
m3brad
Racer

Originally Posted by David_Yu
This thread must be a late April Fool's joke, right?

Decades of lambasting Chevy for sabotaging the Corvette with inferior rubber, they finally stump up for some decent Michelins and someone complains that they are too "gummy"!

The tires are the only way the very expensive 638hp gets to the road...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Tire Troubles