Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PCV Delete on an LS7

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Default PCV Delete on an LS7

I was getting a ton of oil in my intake (then the combustion chambers) through the PCV system. Oil doesn't burn like gasoline, causes detonation, and carbon buildup in the chambers. I tried an oil separator can in two places, neither pulled much oil out of the system.

Soooo.... I decided to return to the 60's. Here's a diagram of the stock PCV system:

Name:  LS7StockDrySump-No_CC.jpg
Views: 10580
Size:  55.2 KB

What I did was remove the blue colored line between the valley cover and the throttle body, cap the throttle body port, reroute the green line from the dry sump tank which had connected to the air intake after the MAF (before the throttle body), and connected it to the valley cover. Then I capped the port on the air intake, and replaced the oil tank fill cover with a K&N breather sold by nakidparts.com, a vendor on this forum.

Yes, I know this is not emissions compliant. So far, no oil smell, and no oil mist in the engine compartment. If this changes I'll repost.

Last edited by 6Speeder; 05-05-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you get your vacuum from?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaDuss
where do you get your vacuum from?
There is no vacuum. That is his point. No way to pull oil in. That will work until you start to get some blow by. With Mobil 1 that may be a long time.

Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I was getting a ton of oil in my intake (then the combustion chambers) through the PCV system.....
You may just have too much oil in the system.

Your problem is a common one when tracking the C6Z with the dry sump. If you have oil higher up the dipstick than the dot at the middle of the checkerboard area, you'll likely get oil in the intake when tracking the car.

I make sure the oil level is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the checkerboard area when I take it to the track - at the most make sure it's not higher than the dot in the middle of the checkered area.

When oil gets into the intake it will mess up your filter, then it may cause the glue on one of the pads (hydrocarbon pads???) in the intake to come loose and allow the pad to either flap around, or maybe come off completely and get into the TB - not good!!

I make sure I never over fill the oil system and have never had the problem.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
2CRUDE
Racer

I was getting a ton of oil in my intake (then the combustion chambers) through the PCV system. Oil doesn't burn like gasoline, causes detonation, and carbon buildup in the chambers. I tried an oil separator can in two places, neither pulled much oil out of the system.

Soooo.... I decided to return to the 60's. Here's a diagram of the stock PCV system:

What I did was remove the blue colored line between the valley cover and the throttle body, cap the throttle body port, reroute the green line from the dry sump tank which had connected to the air intake after the MAF (before the throttle body), and connected it to the valley cover. Then I capped the port on the air intake, and replaced the oil tank fill cover with a K&N breather sold by nakidparts.com, a vendor on this forum.

Yes, I know this is not emissions compliant. So far, no oil smell, and no oil mist in the engine compartment. If this changes I'll repost.
1 and 2

Last edited by 2CRUDE; 05-05-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
El Puto
Drifting

As said above, why is this happening in the first place?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry I need a better diagram, that one is just WAY too hard to follow.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,083 Posts

What brand of catch can did you use? I just bought one for mine. A new design by a non-forum vendor, otherwise I'd just link directly to their site.

As far as why, this is how it was explained to me:

"The LS7 crankcase ventilation system runs through the dry sump tank and then vents into the airbridge. Any overfill of oil (very easy on the C6 Z06) or aggressive driving causes oil to "burp" directly into the bridge."

Solution:

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

There are two ways the LS7 vents oil into the intake:

1. From the dry sump tank to the intake before the throttle body.
2. From the valley cover to the throttle body.

I tried putting a oil catch can in the line from the dry sump tank to intake and got NOTHING in 1,000 miles ( I am aware of the "burping" issue and run mine about 1/2 quart below full at most).

I then moved it to the line from the valley cover to the throttle body and got about 1 teaspoon of oil in 5,000 miles. In that time I had to add 1/2 quart of oil to the system. So, the rest went into the manifold. No, I won't name the can I bought, as I don't think any will stop the problem.

Those of you who don't believe your engine is eating oil through the PCV system NEED to remove the throttle body and just swipe your finger in the manifold. You will be sickened by the amount of oil in there.

Evil 427: I see two problems with your diagram:
1. A catch can doesn't work there, I tried it.
2. You have introduced air into the manifold around the MAF, essentially a vacuum leak, so your LTFT's will be really jacked at idle/just off idle. You will probably get a CEL soon.

Last edited by 6Speeder; 05-05-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

I tried putting a oil catch can in the line from the dry sump tank to intake and got NOTHING in 1,000 miles ( I am aware of the "burping" issue and run mine about 1/2 quart below full at most).

I then moved it to the line from the valley cover to the throttle body and got about 1 teaspoon of oil in 5,000 miles. In that time I had to add 1/2 quart of oil to the system. So, the rest went into the manifold. No, I won't name the can I bought, as I don't think any will stop the problem.

Those of you who don't believe your engine is eating oil through the PCV system NEED to remove the throttle body and just swipe your finger in the manifold. You will be sickened by the amount of oil in there.

2. You have introduced air into the manifold around the MAF, essentially a vacuum leak, so your LTFT's will be really jacked at idle/just off idle. You will probably get a CEL soon.

Actually, the PCV system, pulls fresh air in from the port before the throttle body.. so putting a breather on it, yields the same result.
that and he has a check valve there.

And putting a catch can where Evil427 has his, does work.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BubbaDuss
Actually, the PCV system, pulls fresh air in from the port before the throttle body.. so putting a breather on it, yields the same result.
that and he has a check valve there.

And putting a catch can where Evil427 has his, does work.
From his drawing the fresh air port is plugged and is pulling in unmetered air. And a catch can in that location did NOT work for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I keep my oil level when changing the oil at 6.5-6.75Qts somewhere in the middle or just above middle of the hash marks on the dip stick.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Xwet
Racer

I have 2 catch cans installed. I get no oil in either one and no oil in the intake. My oil level on the dip stick is about 1/4 " above the hash marks.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ouch. That actually wasn't my diagram, it was theirs. And I have not installed it yet.

Are you telling me I just wasted ~$150?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

From his drawing the fresh air port is plugged and is pulling in unmetered air. And a catch can in that location did NOT work for me.
Actually, compare it to your diagram. Instead of the oil cannister drawing air through the air cleaner (clean side PCV flow), it is replaced by a breather filter. And the catch can goes inline with the "dirty side PCV system". Are you saying that the clean side PCV flow is metered air? If that's the case, I can simply skip installing the breather filter.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-06-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EViL427
Actually, compare it to your diagram. Instead of the oil cannister drawing air through the air cleaner (clean side PCV flow), it is replaced by a breather filter. And the catch can goes inline with the "dirty side PCV system". Are you saying that the clean side PCV flow is metered air? If that's the case, I can simply skip installing the breather filter.

That's correct, don't cap the port on the air cleaner assembly, leave that line in place. That way the MAF can meter all air ingested, oily or not. Just pull the small "U" shaped line that runs from the valley cover to the port on the throttle body and plumb the collector can in it's place. Just monitor your oil level, how much you are having to add and compare to what you're collecting in the can. FOR ME, the can collected very little.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I was concerned about the oil burping issue so I put a can in the line to the air bridge and I ran my oil level at the FULL mark (I wanted oil full at the track not 1/2 or more qt low) Result I got ZERO oil in the can .... no burping at the track. My car is a 2008

Moved can to the line between TB and Valley cover: Result 1/2 inch after full track day.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To PCV Delete on an LS7

Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Whispering eye
6th Gear

6Speeder one quick question,
the K&N filter you got did you place that on the valve cover oil fill location or on the dry sump.

the way i am thinking of running mine is add a breather catch can.

I will be running it like yours but I will run one hose from the valley pan to the breather can, then the other to the drysump (greenline) and just "cap" the two open ports on the intake. (after maf and after throttle)

Will this work?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would like to know if you could "T" the valley cover port into the lines coming from the valve covers and just cap that port on the TB. The much longer line from the bridge to the oil sump should not flow much oil and one could even increase the length of that line to help more.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Holy old posts! I went back to the stock PCV system TWO YEARS AGO because I was getting oil smell from the open filter and because without vacuum pulling the corrosive vapors out of the crankcase I feared the gunk would stay in the oil. I am running a RevXtreme catch can plumbed in place of the small "U" shaped hose from the valley cover to after the throttle body. Is it working? SORTA. Because it incorporates a PCV check valve it does not pull in air while in WOT. I believe I am not getting as much oil into the intake, because I am not using as much oil as I was, but am not collecting much in the can.

WhiteDiamond: If I understand what you are proposing you are not venting into the air (no exposed filter), just moving the oil laden air into the front of the throttle body, which has lower vacuum than the stock source. I don't think that solves the problem.

Whispering eye: My filter was on the dry sump tank. What you are proposing should function the same as mine was.

Quick Reply: [Z06] PCV Delete on an LS7