Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Grand sport has full widebody?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,715 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by ZakkWylde470
I used to think this was one of the more mature (as in grown up, not perverted) forums around, but you guys are acting like a bunch of butt-hurt 4 year olds whining about the kid down the street getting a Big Wheel that looks like yours

It's no wonder so many of you are concerned with 'saving the wave' because I sure as hell wouldn't want to wave to some of the people in this thread.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Why be mad? What if the car comes with a larger price tag?
Then it would make owning a Z06 a bargain

Just my thoughts
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
beanfree
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did not buy your car to support GM.

You bought your car because it was one of the best performing and best value cars in the history of automobiles (and is also great looking to boot). Enjoy your car.

Let GM do what they think they must to survive.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
I agree 100%. The Z06 is still all about performance. The GS looks great. I like the fender side treatment.

I cant believe all the whining

Yeah, this thread has been a real eye opener

Back in 2005 we were so excited about a hand-built 427, aluminum frame, carbon fiber fenders, etc (none of which the Grand Sport has). The flared fenders and big tires were just icing on the cake.

Now after 4 years I find that for many of the C6Z owners on CF, looks and image were more important than the C6Z's fantastic performance.
Who knew?

I saw all the new Grand Sports outside the NCM, the Torch red vert inside, and a yellow vert and gray coupe inside the plant. Every one of them looked fantastic. I applaud the Corvette team for coming up with such an exciting car working with a limited budget. But with significally more weight and less power than the Z06, they're in different leagues performance-wise. Guys who bought their Z06 for its performance certainly won't be threatened by the Grand Sport, it's for that other crowd.

Without this great new model, few new orders would come in. Then how would they justify keeping the doors open at Bowling Green? Congratulations Tadge, Harlan, Kirk, and your team for a job well done!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 AM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Originally Posted by McMung
Meh.. I couldn't care less. Doesn't stop me smiling when I drive my car.

I do wish that GM would effing well ENGINEER some improvements instead of doing this retarded musical-parts swapathon... HOW ABOUT AN ACR VETTE!?!?!? **** sake.
I agree. But they will not because the marketing department at GM smokes better crack. And, they don't share.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

I am surpised they didn't bump the hp to 504 and make it one pound heavier, $1 cheaper and call it the Z05.9. Most people buy the vette for its unique performance and look, and that carries over to buying the Z06 and ZR1 models. I just bought my Z06 about a month ago, and I am not happy with what I am seeing. However, at least I got mine for a terrific price. I really feel bad for those who bought the 2006 Z06 for sticker if not sticker +$10K, not only to see their car depreciate about $40K-$50K, but lose a good bit of its exclusivity. We can all say that it doesn't compare to the Z06, but that is exactly what it does. And although it is not quite a Z06, it is closer "today" than it was "yesterday." Maybe the 2011 cobalt will look exactly like the vette (notice I didn't say which model, becasue rumor is they will all look the same) and price it at $30K. Mad is too strong, but very dissapointed sums it up nicely!

Last edited by bigterpsfan; 05-02-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 AM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

For a good year I debated whether or not I would like a Z or vette with a targa top more, and I finally decided that when the time came I would go with the Z.

Now to hear this is coming out, I am still going to stand by my first decision. Why? Because it is a Z06! Just the name alone to me sounds bad ***, not to mention the performance. I know it is just a name but "Grand Sport" does nothing for me. The car will be going for high $50's probably, and I can get my used Z for less than that. I also think I like the z06's front fenders more, but I will hold that judgment until I see the grand sport's in person. Not a fan of the badge either.

*Edit: Good for GM on giving what "MOST" of the customers wanted! It looks great but not sure if its for me.

Last edited by POACHR; 05-02-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
Ippy with what I am seeing. However, at least I got mine for a terrific price. I really feel bad for those who bought the 2006 Z06 for sticker if not sticker +$10K, not only to see their car depreciate about $40K-$50K, but lose a good bit of its exclusivity.
Here is exactly what I knew would happen. Those people who were so "smart" to wait until you could buy one for under sticker as opposed to those who had "more money than brains" and paid $5k over sticker. The "no brains" people have been enjoying the car AND its exclusivity for almost 4 years. The "smart" people who just purchased recently are now disappointed that there are new models from other manufacturers as well as GM that now compete in performance AND price. Progress doesn't stop.

Those people who paid an extra $5k or $10k for 4 years of being top dog in performance and exclusivity have now moved on to the newer models and people are saying how stupid they are again for paying over sticker for a ZR1 or whatever. It doesn't seem so stupid now. For an extra $5k that was lost in their resale which when averaged over 3 or 4 years is almost nothing in the grand scheme of the total cost of ownership.

My guess is that the people who are complaining the most are the "smart" ones that purchased recently rather than the "more money than brains" crowd. I say, if you can't afford to play while it's hot and popular, don't whine about it 4 years later. Now that it's not the hot item anymore, you got your special price, you got your discount for your patience in waiting. Be happy.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:59 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Here is exactly what I knew would happen. Those people who were so "smart" to wait until you could buy one for under sticker as opposed to those who had "more money than brains" and paid $5k over sticker. The "no brains" people have been enjoying the car AND its exclusivity for almost 4 years. The "smart" people who just purchased recently are now disappointed that there are new models from other manufacturers as well as GM that now compete in performance AND price. Progress doesn't stop.

Those people who paid an extra $5k or $10k for 4 years of being top dog in performance and exclusivity have now moved on to the newer models and people are saying how stupid they are again for paying over sticker for a ZR1 or whatever. It doesn't seem so stupid now. For an extra $5k that was lost in their resale which when averaged over 3 or 4 years is almost nothing in the grand scheme of the total cost of ownership.

My guess is that the people who are complaining the most are the "smart" ones that purchased recently rather than the "more money than brains" crowd. I say, if you can't afford to play while it's hot and popular, don't whine about it 4 years later. Now that it's not the hot item anymore, you got your special price, you got your discount for your patience in waiting. Be happy.

You are doing nothing here but putting words in my mouth! I never said anyone was stupid for buying at MSRP or higher back in the day! I never said I was waiting for a special price! I never said I was smarter than anyone else! In fact, you took one small piece of my post and twisted it out of context! For those that are interested, please see my full post above. Sounds like you are second guessing your decision, intelligence and well.....hapiness with your car over the last 4 years. Good luck with dealing with your issues.

Last edited by bigterpsfan; 05-02-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
You are doing nothing here but putting words in my mouth! I never said anyone was stupid for buying at MSRP or higher back in the day! I never said I was waiting for a special price! I never said I was smarter than anyone else! In fact, you took one small piece of my post and twisted it out of context! For those that are interested, please see my full post above. Sounds like you are second guessing your decision, intelligence and well.....hapiness with your car over the last 4 years. Good luck with dealing with your issues.
You are correct. Sorry, That wasn't directed at you specifically. I NEVER said YOU. I said "those people who". This means a broader more general group. If you are not a part of that group then you were obviously not singled out. My thoughts were just triggered by a few things in your post. The comments I quoted are from many many past threads here on this forum making those accusations. You are new here so you obviously haven't seen what I'm talking about.

Last edited by robvuk; 05-02-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk

Interesting logic.

On a side note, years back, in my family, we had a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 with a Cleveland 351 in it. A few years later, we also had a Mustang II Cobra 2 as well. Had a 302 in it.

Both had "decals" on the hood and other portions of the body, "identifying features, touting what they were, but I know which one got the most respect.

I look at this in sort of a similar light and have mentioned so earlier.

Interesting though in your above post. I would have looked at it as just the opposite, but I do see some of what you are saying.

I would have thought that those who paid above sticker to be first on the block, would be the most upset.

But you do make a point in that some of the disappointment seems to be coming from those who just recently moved up to the Z06, during a time when pricing has come down from what had been above sticker for a new one, to "affordable" for the pre owned ones.

Those who are currently upset about this though, perhaps need to ask themselves if they would take a Grand Sport, for their current Z06 on an even up trade. (I'm not talking to you guys who have had Z06s for years and have tens of thousands of miles on them and would be looking for a free new car I'm talking to the disgruntled folks new to Z06 ownersip.)

Myself, I wouldn't take a brand new Grand Sport for my 2006 Z06. I know what the Z06 is as a package vs the Grand Sport. Indeed, the only Vette that I would take over my Z06, is a ZR1.

Those who are having "issues" with the latest news out of Bowling Green, I'd suggest that they leave the Z06 club, since its no longer "exclusive" enough for them, and join the Grand Sport club.

Hardly a lateral move by any stretch of the imagination, and most certainly a significant step down.

I enjoy being a C6 Z06 owner, and owning one of the true great, groundbreaking Vettes ever made, one that no one will ever call a pretender. I know beyond a doubt, that I wouldn't feel the same way, were my only Corvette a C6 Grand Sport.

Like that old Mach I with the Cleveland 351 in it, vs that Mustang II Cobra 2 with the 302 in it, both have "identifying features, touting what they are, but I know which one will get the most respect.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-02-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM
dcaog
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZL-1

Yeah, this thread has been a real eye opener

Back in 2005 we were so excited about a hand-built 427, aluminum frame, carbon fiber fenders, etc (none of which the Grand Sport has). The flared fenders and big tires were just icing on the cake.

Now after 4 years I find that for many of the C6Z owners on CF, looks and image were more important than the C6Z's fantastic performance.
Who knew?

I saw all the new Grand Sports outside the NCM, the Torch red vert inside, and a yellow vert and gray coupe inside the plant. Every one of them looked fantastic. I applaud the Corvette team for coming up with such an exciting car working with a limited budget. But with significally more weight and less power than the Z06, they're in different leagues performance-wise. Guys who bought their Z06 for its performance certainly won't be threatened by the Grand Sport, it's for that other crowd.

Without this great new model, few new orders would come in. Then how would they justify keeping the doors open at Bowling Green? Congratulations Tadge, Harlan, Kirk, and your team for a job well done!

1000%
Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Randude12
Instructor

Default stock rims

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
It doesn't have the narrower front at all... it's a full widebody.

Those stock rims look like total crap.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Interesting logic.

On a side note, years back, in my family, we had a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 with a Cleveland 351 in it. A few years later, we also had a Mustang II Cobra 2 as well. Had a 302 in it.

Both had "decals" on the hood and other portions of the body, "identifying features, touting what they were, but I know which one got the most respect.

I look at this in sort of a similar light and have mentioned so earlier.

Interesting though in your above post. I would have looked at it as just the opposite, but I do see some of what you are saying.

I would have thought that those who paid above sticker to be first on the block, would be the most upset.

But you do make a point in that some of the disappointment seems to be coming from those who just recently moved up to the Z06, during a time when pricing has come down from what had been above sticker for a new one, to "affordable" for the pre owned ones.

Those who are currently upset about this though, perhaps need to ask themselves if they would take a Grand Sport, for their current Z06 on an even up trade. (I'm not talking to you guys who have had Z06s for years and have tens of thousands of miles on them and would be looking for a free new car I'm talking to the disgruntled folks new to Z06 ownersip.)

Myself, I wouldn't take a brand new Grand Sport for my 2006 Z06. I know what the Z06 is as a package vs the Grand Sport. Indeed, the only Vette that I would take over my Z06, is a ZR1.

Those who are having "issues" with the latest news out of Bowling Green, I'd suggest that they leave the Z06 club, since its no longer "exclusive" enough for them, and join the Grand Sport club.

Hardly a lateral move by any stretch of the imagination, and most certainly a significant step down.

I enjoy being a C6 Z06 owner, and owning one of the true great, groundbreaking Vettes ever made, one that no one will ever call a pretender. I know beyond a doubt, that I wouldn't feel the same way, were my only Corvette a C6 Grand Sport.

Like that old Mach I with the Cleveland 351 in it, vs that Mustang II Cobra 2 with the 302 in it, both have "identifying features, touting what they are, but I know which one will get the most respect.
You pretty much prove my point. That Cleveland had respect when it came out and it still does today. Just as the Z06 does.

I guess everybody needs to ask themselves one question. If the GS was available at the same time as the Z06 all along, would your choice have been different? Probably not. Even though the Z is more money, the performance matches. I really believe that the GS will help preserve the Z06 exclusivity. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who will be just as happy with less performance and less money and the Z06 will have reduced numbers. It's close but it IS still different and those that know will know. Those that don't it doesn't matter, because they will think even the base model is a Corvette just the same.

I think everybody should hope that GM sells 20,000 GS models per year. Helps the brand, helps keep the Z06 exclusivity until it is surpassed by similar performance for less money. The GS still does not do that. The ZR1 does but for much more money.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm usually in the minority on this forum so here I go again. I'm one of those people who traded up from the regular C6 to the Z06. Being totally honest, I will tell you that I bought the Z much more for the look than the performance. Heck, I ONLY drive on the street and performance wise, my old C6 was plenty fast enough. If I had the choice at the time, I certainly would have chosen the GS. Here's why: Crystal Red..Cashmere Interior..Glass Roof..Comfy Seats and a Wide Body. My Z06 is a very nice machine and has great street credibility. But it appears that the GS will be just as good looking as my Z but have some comforts that are more suitable to my needs as well. Part of the pride in owning a nice car is making it just the way you like. This is an area that I feel the Z06 fell short. The GS changed all that and now you can get EXACTLY what you want in any color you want and I will stand by this statement: A regular C6 is fast enough for the street.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 05-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I'm usually in the minority on this forum so here I go again. I'm one of those people who traded up from the regular C6 to the Z06. Being totally honest, I will tell you that I bought the Z much more for the look than the performance. Heck, I ONLY drive on the street and performance wise, my old C6 was plenty fast enough. If I had the choice at the time, I certainly would have chosen the GS. Here's why: Crystal Red..Cashmere Interior..Glass Roof..Comfy Seats and a Wide Body. My Z06 is a very nice machine and has great street credibility. But it appears that the GS will be just as good looking as my Z but have some comforts that are more suitable to my needs as well. Part of the pride in owning a nice car is making it just the way you like. This is an area that I feel the Z06 fell short. The GS changed all that and now you can get EXACTLY what you want in any color you want and I will stand by this statement: A regular C6 is fast enough for the street.
There's nothing wrong with that. That's exactly why I say the GS is good for the Z. It will indeed dip into Z sales.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Randude12
Instructor

Default ron fellows

Originally Posted by Randude12
Those stock rims look like total crap.
Hey look... its a red Ron Fellows "Special" Edition

Get notified of new replies

To Grand sport has full widebody?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Not only well put, and easily understandable, 100% with the above. They made the Grand Sport for the person like yourself.

Its also, yet another reason, why I cannot understand some of the discontent in this thread.

The person who wants a look similar to a Z06, from the factory and done right, and is satisfied with the 436hp, which is nothing to sneeze at, wants the removable top, or the convertible, this is right up their alley. Its why I referred to it earlier as sort of a baby Z.

"I want similar yet still unique and distinguishing look, not some home built clone, which is the absolute spitting image of a model it is not, and can be passed off as that model.

I want it from the factory, because I don't want to go hacking up into a brand new, or nearly new car and throwing together a home brew "wide body conversion" which is going to kill my car's value, and make people think it was previously wrecked. But I do not necessarily want all of the other performance capability that the Z offers, nor the bragging rights and street cred which go along with that, because 436hp is plenty for me."

Sounds good to me. I don't see why people are upset about that.

The people who know what a Z06 is, as robvuk says above, will always respect it's street cred for what it is.

I'm just not seeing the Grand Sport having a wide body, as the bad move that some in here see it as. (My only beef is not with the car per se, but with GM attempting to tell us that it has improved performance wise, after adding this weight. I think thats marketing hype, and the car really doesn't need that. Its looks will sell it.)

People who know their Vettes, will know the difference. The rest, well who cares about their ignorance of the difference between the Grand Sport, the Z06 and the ZR1 anyway? We come across people right at the dealerships who are Vette ignorant.

But one very important thing I left out when I was discussing that Mustang story above, and BTW, the '73 Mach I is still in the family, belongs to my uncle, the Mustang II is long gone.

When that Mustang II Cobra 2 came out, it was all the rage.

Some who had true ponys, and didn't realize what they had, didn't take stock of what they had, couldn't appreciate what they had, got caught up in the hype, were up in arms about it because it was "the latest new thing".....

Why, it had the fancy aggressive looking markings, like the Mach I and the Boss 302. Had a fancy rear spoiler, side louvres, and a front fascia and splitter. It looked mean. "Carrol Shelby's Cobra was back" it was touted. It got all the press.

So many similarities to what we are seeing here.

Now, tell me which one gets the respect.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-02-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
ttgangsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey at the least grand sport owners will get to admire the back of my z06 widebody as I blow past them...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ttgangsta
Hey at the least grand sport owners will get to admire the back of my z06 widebody as I blow past them...
Assuming the owners keep them stock, because we know they will.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Grand sport has full widebody?