Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Odd Question: Do You Feel Guilty...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 PM
WFO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Good for you, but, someone needs to take a chill pill. It was a simple question from a fellow Z06 owner. If you didn't like the post, why did you take the time to read and respond to it? Moreover, if you're not a moderator, please don't tell me what and where I can post. Thanks.

Oh, I see you're from George Bush country. That explains everything. I wouldn't want to be reminded of the crap I caused either.

Well, for starters I read most posts. That's why I belong to this Forum and have so faithfully for some 6 years and 3 Vettes.

Living in Texas, you knuckle head, has nothing to do with supporting or liking any previous or present President. On 9/11 you hopefully loved the man from Texas. After that maybe that's a debate.

(Wars are costly and so is reckless managing of companies. CEO's that steal and lie to shareholders and Preachers that hurt children.)

Anyway..

Now, what I was hoping to read based on the title of the Thread. Do you feel "guilty" of owning a Z06 with all the unemployment, blah, etc.

I was thinking you were referring to all the freaking fun we have. The bad *** look and performance of the car and the guilt at being so lucky to have same.

Instead, what I read was, the negative side. Like we should feel like crap for having a great car that we bust our *** to get. Or dreamed as kids of hopfully owning one day.

Read my response. Understand my response my friend. Your stuck in the mud of the negative again.

It specifically said "your heart was in the right place".

Crap, sadness is everywhere, why bring it in here.

Yuk!!

Last edited by WFO; 03-06-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't feel guilty but I do feel bad for those in such circumstances. I figure my wife and I worked hard while putting ourselves through school, rented a single bedroom apartment, shared one car-- all the sacrifice we made while living from meager paycheck to paycheck--having essentially nothing in our name but our marriage certificate. I recall other hardships such as her losing a job due to a not-at-fault traffic collision in which she was injured (we were too young and naive to collect anything) and me being forced to cut my hours in half or I'd receive a lay off. I could go on and on and I'm sure many here have their own stories. I figured we worked long and hard to be able to enjoy some fruit from our labor--and by the grace of God I hope we can continue. I am not happy about the present circumstances in our economy, but to feel guilty or have guilt imposed on us for something we did not do is just plain wrong. Life is too short. I will admit I hold onto things loosely knowing things come and go much too easily in this life.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
open air
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guilty or Not!

After perusing this thread I see a lot of talk about blame of "the administration" yada yada. All I know is...

FACT: We (my wife and I) can pay my mortgage
FACT: We can pay our two Z06 payments
FACT: We can pay for all of our living expenses, etc.
FACT: We do not need to be bailed out.

Therefore: I do not feel guilty about driving the ONLY American sports car. In fact I'm quite proud that I'm not driving a BMW or some exotic.

ANOTHER FACT: There are a lot of idiots that don't know when to say no debt...many of them run our country.

Stay Strong...Stay Corvette...be proud to drive your Z06!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
WFO
Drifting

Amen, Vetteuphoria..+2

Amen, Open Air..+2
Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default YES it is a VERY ODD question

...driving your C6Z knowing the unemployment rate is now over 8.1% nationally with over 12.5 million Americans out of work? I do.
YES it is a VERY ODD question
First off it is a American car made by American workers
The fact that I bought it shows my support for the economy BTW paid cash for mine
How pray tell would taking the car off the road put one more American back on the job ?
Don't you think that by continuing to drive the car I will burn more gas that gets made and pumped by workers keeps them in a job?
Don't you think that the car needs servicing keeping a mechanic in a job, never mind the incidental stuff like insurance ,registration , detailing the car
Feel guilty ? NO not hardly
One of the major reasons why the economy is in the tank is that the velocity of money moving through the economy has slowed way down. Much of that velocity is produced by consumption
SO do you part for the economy drive you car !! NOT PARK IT
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
SSphantom
Instructor

It's unfortunate that so many people are out of work, but there is nothing wrong with driving a car that you earned and worked hard for.

Some people are born with a "silver spoon in their mouth" and some people worked hard for their money. I don't look down on either party. Spend your money on whatever you want.

Whenever I find an opportunity financially or with the use of my time to help another person I do it. That's how I help give back to those that need help. There are many ways to help others, but I don't think anyone should feel bad for spending their money the way they want to.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bcarr22
I AM a financial planner. Your assertion is entirely incorrect.

FACT: The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (Jimmy Carter) was signed into law to open up home ownership to low wage earners.
FACT: In 1993, Bill Clinton put teeth into the CRA, REQUIRING banks to make loans to borrowers they KNEW could never repay the loans. Banks which refused to make these toxic loans could be publicly ridiculed, protested and SUED by organizations like ACORN. Even today, banks are required to maintain their lending guidelines in every branch so that anyone who walks in off the street can see if they will lend to low wage earners. Just stop in one and ask to see them.
FACT: On 17 different occasions since 2001, George W. Bush spoke publicly sounding the alarm about the impending collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, asking Congress to act.
FACT: On numerous occasions in Congressional committee meetings and hearings, conservative members of Congress attempted to introduce legislation to reign in Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, only to be derailed by the Democrats, like Barnie Frank, Chris Todd, Maxine Waters and yes, even then Sen. Barack Hussein Uh-bama.

To say, much less even IMPLY, that conservatives are responsible for the mortgage meltdown, which started this whole mess, requires the suspension of belief. I'll go beyond saying it is disingenuous to calling it what it truly is - A LIE!

Opinions are fine, until delusional folks start mistaking their OPINION for FACTS, as you have done. It's fine to believe the Republicans are to blame for everything. It's just that the facts state otherwise.

You are deluding yourself to say the Republicans caused all this. To say that George W. Bush is to blame only serves to draw attention to your lack of understanding about how our government works. I suggest a remedial civics class for starters, followed up with getting your news from someplace else besides The New York Times or MSLSD.

BC

When you understand all this kind of makes you wonder if this collapse was planed by the people who set this up to grab more power. Not that the current administration is trying to grab more power ...DUH over the auto industry, banking, health care, and last but not least more gun control ...people with guns are kind of hard to control people without them are much easier. Remember the words of Mr Emanuel never let a good crisis go to waste and funny how every time Obama speaks the market takes another dive and he tells us it is going to get worse before it gets better. As soon as they have all the power over every aspect of your life they may let things get better...it may take a while
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I feel guilty because there's over 12.5 MILLION people out of work and I'm driving around in a relatively expensive (for the average Joe) fancy sports car. True, I too worked hard to afford it, but, I still can't help feeling bad for those struggling to make ends meet. Guess I'm too sensitive/compassionate, eh?
Then sell it and give the proceeds to the homeless guy on the street. You'll feel much better.

I am not going to feel guilty for being successful. Anyone can do it. Sitting on one's butt and waiting for the government to give a handout is not what built this nation. This car is a reward to myself after so far over 25 years in the workforce. And you know what? This administration is penalizing success and rewarding failure. Taking MY taxes and YOUR taxes and giving it to people who don't even pay taxes. They're creating a massive burden on the youth of this nation who will have to pay it all back someday.

It's ironic that some people compare Bush to FDR when it was FDR who tried to throw money at the problem and only ended up prolonging the depression. And, well, gee, what's happening now?

"No more earmarks!" Yeah, okay. I think this administration is going down in history as the team who figuratively said "Let them eat pork!" And we're only 3 months into it.

How many millions did ACORN get after it was proven that they were falsifying votor registrations? Was that a bailout, or a payoff?

But, you're right. We digress.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

I dont feel guilty at all. My Z06 is bought and paid for. I worked for the Phone comany for 35 years and froze and sweated my butt off to enjoy my retirement. My wife works and had to take a 10% pay cut. The same advantages are available to anyone that were available to me. I raised a family bought a house put 2 kids through College Paid for a big wedding for my daughter and waited 42 years until I could afford a Corvette. Now its my turn . And although things are tough now for some I cant feel sorry . I feel ive earned it.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
bcarr22
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CyberVinnie
Then sell it and give the proceeds to the homeless guy on the street. You'll feel much better.

I am not going to feel guilty for being successful. Anyone can do it. Sitting on one's butt and waiting for the government to give a handout is not what built this nation. This car is a reward to myself after so far over 25 years in the workforce. And you know what? This administration is penalizing success and rewarding failure. Taking MY taxes and YOUR taxes and giving it to people who don't even pay taxes. They're creating a massive burden on the youth of this nation who will have to pay it all back someday.

It's ironic that some people compare Bush to FDR when it was FDR who tried to throw money at the problem and only ended up prolonging the depression. And, well, gee, what's happening now?

"No more earmarks!" Yeah, okay. I think this administration is going down in history as the team who figuratively said "Let them eat pork!" And we're only 3 months into it.

How many millions did ACORN get after it was proven that they were falsifying votor registrations? Was that a bailout, or a payoff?

But, you're right. We digress.

Preach it, Brother!!!

BC
Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

No. Now if I had voted for Obama, I would feel guilty about that, but not about the car. Did you vote for Obama? If so, no wonder you feel guilty. Tell ya what you can do to fix that: sell you car, your house, and all your wordly possessions. Send the money to the gov't. It's the patriotic thing to do.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

I do not feel guilty at all, this car was earned. People throw their money away on all kinds of stuff and then look at others as if they are the ones doing something wrong (like us having our cars). The world lacks compassion and discipline, people not only want their cake, but yours too. I see people who spend almost as much money on cigarettes and alcohol in a month as I do on my Z06 payment. Add in the health issues they seem to acquire and I can step up to a ZR1 and not feel guilty.

For all the ones looking for a stone to throw, “It is not how much money you make, rather what your money makes for you”.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
JIM07
Instructor

You should feel guilty!!! I have seen how you elitist Z06 guys put your noses up when I pull up next to you in my non-z06. King Obama should take all Z06s and sell them to help pay my and every other non-z06 owners mortgage!

P.S At least I have a Z-51 so I can look down on the lowly base models and even worse c-5s!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

do I feel guilty? Not at all.

Times are tough - everyone is feeling the pinch somehow (some more than others). The fact though is that I saved my money for something I wanted, I don't have credit card debt, and I live within my means.

That last part is the key term - if people these days would live within their means we would not be AS bad off. Everyone here has a friend or family member that went out and signed for a hugely expensive car when they only make $10/hour. Or the people that took on 350K mortgages without thinking for the future.

I think the concept of "savings" is lost on many americans today - and fundamentally I oppose all forms of "bailout" money to any segment of the economy. To me there is just something wrong about shifting personal responsibility away from the individual.

I don't flaunt my Z06 to people - I drive it and I enjoy it more than anything I currently have. I think that anyone who attacks someone over the fact that they save their money and pay their bills, shows just how ignorant they really are by opening their mouth and bitching about something they can't comprehend.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JIM07
You should feel guilty!!! I have seen how you elitist Z06 guys put your noses up when I pull up next to you in my non-z06. King Obama should take all Z06s and sell them to help pay my and every other non-z06 owners mortgage!

P.S At least I have a Z-51 so I can look down on the lowly base models and even worse c-5s!
Easy killer. I get Honda Civics looking down on me in my Z06 (it's American and not an import). I own a Honda Civic too There are @ss's out there, don't be like them. You're better than that
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I don't feel guilty and I did vote for Obama and proud of it. I would do it again if given the chance. He didn't get us in this problem, he's just trying to solve it. I do feel for the people losing their jobs, I know how they feel. I'm retired now but I was laid off a half dozen times or so during my working career and know what that feels like. I did save enough to pay cash for my Z06 just before I retired in 2006 though. I think the economy will be O.K. in the long run. We just got to get through the next several years somehow. All my stock and investments have lost over half it's value and being retired don't give me much time to recover. You just have to make the best of things and get on with life. What else can you do?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
JIM07
Instructor

Originally Posted by GForceSS
Easy killer. I get Honda Civics looking down on me in my Z06 (it's American and not an import). I own a Honda Civic too There are @ss's out there, don't be like them. You're better than that
"That was a joke son ,I say a joke" Foghorn Leghorn

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Question: Do You Feel Guilty...?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I could not afford my first house untill I was almost 40. I got my degree going to school full time, while I worked full time to support my family. NOBODY GAVE ME A FRIGGIN THING ( other than my parents who taught me a strong work ethic) I got no bail outs, govt assistance, special interest rates or whateever the hell these morons are giveing away these days. The hard work and eduction paid off for me. Do I feel blessed, thank God everynight for my blessings. Do I feel guilty, not in the least.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bcarr22
I AM a financial planner. Your assertion is entirely incorrect.

FACT: The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 (Jimmy Carter) was signed into law to open up home ownership to low wage earners.

BC
So few get this, but then, that was the goal of public education all along.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
bcarr22
Heel & Toe

We're already starting to see the reports of how many individuals who were staunch Uh-bama supporters during the campaign are already reconsidering their support. Better late than never.

Read the attached article so you can understand the depth of the deception I and many other Americans feel.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ky_budget.html

Frankly, if he continues down this Socialist/Marxist path, Uh-bama's single term administration will be little more than a footnote in history, ala Jimmy Carter. (Who I voted for, believe it or not.)

For those misguided enough to attempt to say Uh-bama hasn't been dishonest, ask yourself the question, "During the campaign, if Uh-bama had been honest and said he intended to spend the kind of money he has in his first 60 days, would he have been elected?"

The answer is no.

Nor will he be reelected if he continues down this path.

BC

Quick Reply: [Z06] Odd Question: Do You Feel Guilty...?