Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: If priced the same, which would you choose?
Corvette ZR1
45.72%
Ford GT
54.28%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

[ZR1] ZR1 vs. Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Cyric
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZR1 of course...what other choice is there?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jamie furman
No offense Frank but my pullied GT would run away from your Z06 in a straigtaway like your Z06 was down 2 cylinders. I am sure it was the supposed experienced driver in the GT and not the car, stock to stock its a drivers race but pullied game over! My GT has run 137 mph in the 1/4 mile with the factory issued tires and nothing but a pulley and tune. As far as comparing the 2 cars ZR1 and GT, I don't think you can really compare as the ZR1 is just a option on the regular corvette and they make thousands and thousands of them every year, and the GT is a separate model with a 2 year run only of about 4000 cars total and probably about 3500 left. I am planning on getting a ZR1 in the near future and I think it will be a great fast car, but I don't think it will ever be in the same league as the GT IMO.
No offense taken, Jamie. I'm merely reporting the events that occured on that particular day, on that particular track, with those two cars, as witnessed by many.

I know my car was stock and I am a fairly accomplished driver. I cannot comment on the quality of the GT's mods, but the driver is not a chump. Maybe the GT was having a bad day, who knows?

I have trouble getting into the GT and once in it can't see out worth a damn. If the car is not practical I don't care how "cool" or exclusive it is, I'm not buying.

I hope you enjoy yours.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
z06nut
Racer

I'd get the ZR-1 because it's useful. You don't have to park sideways just to get out of the car. I could fit a suitcase and another person at the same time.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

FGT in Gulf Oil livery

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

No offense Frank but my pullied GT would run away from your Z06 in a straigtaway like your Z06 was down 2 cylinders. I am sure it was the supposed experienced driver in the GT and not the car, stock to stock its a drivers race but pullied game over! My GT has run 137 mph in the 1/4 mile with the factory issued tires and nothing but a pulley and tune. As far as comparing the 2 cars ZR1 and GT, I don't think you can really compare as the ZR1 is just a option on the regular corvette and they make thousands and thousands of them every year, and the GT is a separate model with a 2 year run only of about 4000 cars total and probably about 3500 left. I am planning on getting a ZR1 in the near future and I think it will be a great fast car, but I don't think it will ever be in the same league as the GT IMO.
+ 1 i agree

my Ford GT is the best car i have ever owned and i currently own a C5 Z06 that is for sale. my Viper ACR is my 2nd fav car. as a 4 time corvette owner i even like my 2001 camaro SS and my 2001 Ford Lightning better than any corvette i have ever owned. i am selling my Z06 to buy the new Yamaha V-Max. 1679 cc V-4 = 200 hp

as far as performance goes i hit 200 mph on GPS in my bone stock Ford GT. how fast does a Z06 and a ZR1 go? you can mod a ZR1 all you want but when you mod a GT the ZR1 will get raped. on a GT a swap to twin turbos and 800 rwhp is no problem on pump gas with the stock fuel system, motor (a mere 5.4 litres), trans, gear box and clutch

as a result of the economy it looks like production of the ZR1 will more than likely be limited to 2,000 cars at the most but i still think 35 years from now at the Barrett-Jackson the 4,038 Ford GT's built will be worth double what ZR1's will be worth. ZR1's look just like all the other 100 + thousand C6 corvettes that have been made since 2005.

i would buy a C6 Z06 before i would buy a ZR1. the C6 Z06 is half the price of a ZR1 and is faster in the 1/4 mile

Last edited by Fast Freddy; 02-25-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
FactHP
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

"...the GT is a separate model with a 2 year run only of about 4000 cars total and probably about 3500 left."

We really don't know how many ZR1s will be made. It is possible that GM will make less than 4000. The rareness factor of the ZR1 is high right now with only 630 made, and it is possible it will only have a 2-year run as well.

Also, I love the fact that not everyone immediately knows what my ZR1is when they first see it. Its fun to watch the double takes and exitement, once they know what it is. It seperates auto enthusiast from the rest of the crowd. I really don't care if someone's Grandma recognizes it or not.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
+ 1 i agree

my Ford GT is the best car i have ever owned and i currently own a C5 Z06 that is for sale. my Viper ACR is my 2nd fav car. as a 4 time corvette owner i even like my 2001 camaro SS and my 2001 Ford Lightning better than any corvette i have ever owned. i am selling my Z06 to buy the new Yamaha V-Max. 1679 cc V-4 = 200 hp

as far as performance goes i hit 200 mph on GPS in my bone stock Ford GT. how fast does a Z06 and a ZR1 go? you can mod a ZR1 all you want but when you mod a GT the ZR1 will get raped. on a GT a swap to twin turbos and 800 rwhp is no problem on pump gas with the stock fuel system, motor (a mere 5.4 litres), trans, gear box and clutch

as a result of the economy it looks like production of the ZR1 will more than likely be limited to 2,000 cars at the most but i still think 35 years from now at the Barrett-Jackson the 4,038 Ford GT's built will be worth double what ZR1's will be worth. ZR1's look just like all the other 100 + thousand C6 corvettes that have been made since 2005.

i would buy a C6 Z06 before i would buy a ZR1. the C6 Z06 is half the price of a ZR1 and is faster in the 1/4 mile
Why do you keep buying Corvettes of they suck so much?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Why do you keep buying Corvettes of they suck so much?
corvettes don't suck. they make for great daily drivers imo.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Jbrady
Instructor

There are GREAT things about both cars.

I have always graded cars based on content and capabilities before visual impact. That said it has been hard for me to warm up to the Nissan GT-R and I found myself instantly wanting the Ford GT.

Corvettes have been in my heart since I first understood what one was in the late 60s and I believe the C6 ZR1 to be the pinnical that may never be surpassed.

As much as we claim otherwise it does NOT hurt if the car attracts women... with that thought in mind I had been showing and explaining the ZR1 to my girlfriend who is a Corvette novice. She kind of nodded her head but did not have much to say... UNTIL... I pulled up a picture of a Ford GT... SHE WENT NUTS... her brand new favorite car!!!

I want both but tortured into making a choice it's is going to be the GT.

Here is a nice picture not shown often

What a great looking and working drivetrain.

Ok, my girlfriend seemed to like this vehicle even more...

Last edited by Jbrady; 02-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
OilMaggott
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jackj42
I have both cars. Both are great, but much different.

I could drive the ZR1 every day- plenty of room and storage, great ride comfort, easy to drive, all the amenities you could ask for, incredible performance, feels much faster than the GT although I don't think it is, less expensive than the Ford. I have owned the ZR1 since early Dec. and have 1800 miles on it, most from two weekend trips.

Ford GT- feels more like a pure sports car, more distinct lines and interior, exotic looking, almost as fast, gets many more looks, no storage space, limited visibility, reasonable ride. Has lost significant amount of value in the past few months from what I have seen, but has still held its value better than almost any car out there. Have had the car for over a year and have driven it about 1,000 miles.

I could go on for a long time, but to summarize, they are different, but both wonderful, both with more capability than most drivers have (at least in my case), and both a testament to what American car companies can do if they put their mind to it.

Jack

You nailed it.....good post
Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I know my car was stock and I am a fairly accomplished driver. I cannot comment on the quality of the GT's mods, but the driver is not a chump. Maybe the GT was having a bad day, who knows?
Two words: HEAT SOAK.

No doubt a GT with a pulley, tune, and a cool intercooler will run 133-137 in the quarter, but on a road course, when the IAT's rise, the supercharged GT motor has to pull a ton of timing out, and it's not hard to imagine the HP advantage evaporating.

Plus, are we talking about two cars entering the straightaway at the same speed? On a road course, corner exit speeds can erase a 200 HP deficit in a hurry.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I've had the opportunity to run Summit Point with a Ford GT that had a pulley, a tune and an experienced driver. In my bone stock Z06 I could stay with it on the straights and run over it on the turns.
You knew we will quote you on this over and over again, didn't you?

Any chance you have lap times on both of you?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Two words: HEAT SOAK.

No doubt a GT with a pulley, tune, and a cool intercooler will run 133-137 in the quarter, but on a road course, when the IAT's rise, the supercharged GT motor has to pull a ton of timing out, and it's not hard to imagine the HP advantage evaporating.

Plus, are we talking about two cars entering the straightaway at the same speed? On a road course, corner exit speeds can erase a 200 HP deficit in a hurry.
I believe the ZR1 is supercharged also so heat soak will be just as much a problem with that car also. If your talking about the Z06 well I agree heat won't be as much of a problem, but heat sucks horse power out of that engine also when on a race track.
It all boils down to preference and this is a corvette board so no one should be surprised there is a vette preference here. Like I said I would take the GT hands down but when prices get realistic I hope to have a ZR1 sitting next to it!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Tunedprt91
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
+ 1 i agree

I think the Gt is a nice car but you're getting ahead of yourself on some of the points you mentioned. To say the GT will rape the ZR1 no matter what the mods is stupid. The Z hasn't been out long enough for anyone to even know how much it can even handle.

Also to say the Z06 is faster than the ZR1 is also pointless. You've seen what maybe 4 or 5 vids of a ZR1 going down the strip having traction issues etc and compare it to the Z06 that has been out longer? I don't recall the Z06 running its best times after only being out for a few months.

Point is in time the ZR1 will show us all what its really capable of and its to early to spout your usual crap like you always do over on svtp.

"my Zo6 is for sell but my camaro isn't "

"I've been 200mph in my bone stock Ford GT"

"This one time in my viper acr..."

Its the same stories over and over with you, that's all you ever talk about.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by petefias
You knew we will quote you on this over and over again, didn't you?

Any chance you have lap times on both of you?
As far as I know, nobody had a watch on either of us.

I'm not here to impress anybody with my performance or my car's. I merely related what transpired that day, and it's the honest truth. If it doesn't fit with someone's reality, so be it. Feel free to quote.

Peace.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

I would take the Ford GT over a ZR1 just because of the exterior. Although the ZR1 may be faster, it is still based on a Corvette Platform. I would not mind having a ZR1 though because it is the best bang for the buck vs any 100k+ sports car.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

From GM's road course testing heat soak was not a big issue. The new TVS 2300 supercharger is quite a bit different than the Lyschom on the FGT. The ZR1's supercharger has 4 lobe rotors and 180 degrees of twist from end to end... couple that wtih the innovated reversed intercooler design and internal piston oil squirters and you've got a FI powerplant that can take road course abuse.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs. Ford GT

Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Blow N By
Interesting that no one has mentioned the ugly and obtrusive door tops that are easy to hit one's head on getting in and out.
Where else on the globe would you find a moving horizontal Guillotine, no matter how many time I tell my passengers, to watch their head, they hit it, having said that, I've never hit it once.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM
ls3rylec6
Instructor

i lov both cars. when we drive are ford gt it feels more exotic but isnt as confortable or as fast as the zr1.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the ZR1 is supercharged also so heat soak will be just as much a problem with that car also.
gonzalezfj was talking about his Z06, not a ZR1. In his words:

I've had the opportunity to run Summit Point with a Ford GT that had a pulley, a tune and an experienced driver. In my bone stock Z06 I could stay with it on the straights and run over it on the turns.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 vs. Ford GT