Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Shocks, Penske vs Moton ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Shocks, Penske vs Moton ?

I have Pfadt coil overs now but I want to get something more hardcore w a reserve

So supposing I do at least 20 track days a year w my Z which would be the better shocks ?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
I have Pfadt coil overs now but I want to get something more hardcore w a reserve

So supposing I do at least 20 track days a year w my Z which would be the better shocks ?

Thanks
I'm partial to Moton. Very happy with mine.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't argue with Jason. I have driven cars with both and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I personally lean toward Motons.

Jim
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Penskes.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Love my Penskes.

Frank Gonzalez
You loved my Motons even more. Or was it the extra 100hp?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Both great but I'd give the edge to Motons.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I'm partial to Moton. Very happy with mine.
Me too!

Mike
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Penske on my car and love them. Since they are inverted, I was having trouble with them tearing the rubber boot on the axle. Of course the solution was to put a tie wrap around the boot and squeeze it a little, no problems since. Moton mounts the other way so clearance is not a problem. I have not run Motons but believe they are just as good, perhaps better. Of course they are about 50 to 60% more money.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Why MOTON is better that PENSKE? Nobody can explain but Moton is better
On bumpy roads my Penske works perfect. The only thing i regret that got 3way - Very difficult to find the right settings...
2way is perfect choice.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
On bumpy roads my Penske works perfect. The only thing i regret that got 3way - Very difficult to find the right settings...
2way is perfect choice.
jesus you are a worthless troll
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
2way is perfect choice.
The Moton dampers have a monotube design with a much larger piston which displaces more shock fluid. This allows the damper to be far more responsive than a production damper. It responds to the slightest movement of the suspension. There is also nitrogen gas pressurizing the canister keeping the fluid from cavitating and thus making the shock more in control over high speed dampening. The dampers have a blow-off valve system which comes into play over large impacts. This makes it very smooth over hard bumps, makes the car easier to control, and saves wheel bearings and other suspension components. Gas pressure, compression, rebound and ride height settings are all adjustable allowing us to dial in the car for exactly the application we are looking for. While our street settings can also be used on a racetrack, this versatility allows for better suspension control for a special niche of the market that the factory Z06 can't focus on entirely.

Moton is a large supplier to GT3, Belcar, and other European race series which have Corvettes. They take their experience from the track and apply it to their products. They spare no expense with the quality of components used and also provide track support to teams.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

You loved my Motons even more. Or was it the extra 100hp?

The Motons were definitely OK. The extra HP was AWESOME!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

The Moton dampers have a monotube design with a much larger piston which displaces more shock fluid. This allows the damper to be far more responsive than a production damper. It responds to the slightest movement of the suspension. There is also nitrogen gas pressurizing the canister keeping the fluid from cavitating and thus making the shock more in control over high speed dampening. The dampers have a blow-off valve system which comes into play over large impacts. This makes it very smooth over hard bumps, makes the car easier to control, and saves wheel bearings and other suspension components. Gas pressure, compression, rebound and ride height settings are all adjustable allowing us to dial in the car for exactly the application we are looking for. While our street settings can also be used on a racetrack, this versatility allows for better suspension control for a special niche of the market that the factory Z06 can't focus on entirely.

Moton is a large supplier to GT3, Belcar, and other European race series which have Corvettes. They take their experience from the track and apply it to their products. They spare no expense with the quality of components used and also provide track support to teams.

You mentioned that they have a blow off system. Do they need to be refilled on nitrogen after each event?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
You mentioned that they have a blow off system. Do they need to be refilled on nitrogen after each event?
No, the blow-off system is for the shock fluid. Basically on a really hard impact it allows the piston to move more quickly.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Absolutely agree with you.But its advantage vs stock suspensions.
As i know Penske and Motons are very close in performance.But i can be wrong
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

No, the blow-off system is for the shock fluid. Basically on a really hard impact it allows the piston to move more quickly.
Surely the "blow-off" function is the high-speed bump setting on a 3-way adjustable shock?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
shifter77
Drifting

What are the ride height settings using these shocks for road racing?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Pemske is the direction I went and I am very happy with the results.

I went the Penske direction and worked with Gary Hoffman at Hardbar to get the complete kit. I have been amazed at the performance of the set up he has brought together. There is nothing let to engineer. Everything is adjustable and it fits like a glove. I suggest you discuss what your needs are with him and work out all the logitics as well as installation shops in your area that may have already done an instal of the kit. He doesn't do the installs but he has had alot of experiance with the installation and shops that can handel the instal;l and do all of the correct after installation setups.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by oliveiraej
I went the Penske direction and worked with Gary Hoffman at Hardbar to get the complete kit. I have been amazed at the performance of the set up he has brought together. There is nothing let to engineer. Everything is adjustable and it fits like a glove. I suggest you discuss what your needs are with him and work out all the logitics as well as installation shops in your area that may have already done an instal of the kit. He doesn't do the installs but he has had alot of experiance with the installation and shops that can handel the instal;l and do all of the correct after installation setups.

I've had a set of Gary's Penske triple-adjustables on the car since 2007 and they've performed flawlessly.

Something that is not discussed enough with regard to coilovers is the springs.

I gave Gary the spec of wanting a better than stock ride for the road as well as way better than stock handling on the track.

He and his chassis guru Richard Strout came up with a custom dual-spring set up using two Hypercoil springs per corner, one relatively soft to handle the small bumps and keep the wheels on the ground and a stiffer one to control body movement.

When dialled in with the optimum high and low speed bump and rebound settings, I have a Vette that will get me to the track in supreme comfort and one that will easily lap GT3 RSs once I get there!

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks, Penske vs Moton ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shocks, Penske vs Moton ?