Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] If you have the means, I suggest you pick one up

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 AM
jazc4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you have the means, I suggest you pick one up

My previous Vette was an 06 coupe 3LT Z51 auto. I loved this car, and if it wasn't for some lady on a cell phone, I'd still be driving her.

I was upset, but now I find myself thanking her. If not for her, I never would have known what all of you Z06 guys were talking about.

This car is incredible! First off, the extra power is intoxicating. And the manual transmission brings a whole new dimension to the car. I had paddle shifting and I'll tell you it doesn't compare.

Everyone that sees it immediately says "Is this one wider than the old one?" Unanimously all love the wide body. This car looks so much more sexy than my coupe. I really loved my DSOM, but JSB is a suitable replacement.

My 06 had 3LT, but it doesn't compare to the Leather wrap in the 3LZ. The guys who complain about the corvette interior not being luxurious enough need to get the leather wrap. The interior is now what I would expect from a sports car of this magnitude.

So far the mods include Mild2Wild, Lloyd mats, smart fuse CAGs defeat, and Window Valet. Next up is a ZR1 spoiler, JSB fuel rail covers, and a fillerplate. Once I've had a month or two, I am considering CAI and a tune, maybe even a ported intake

Overall, to Dale Simmet and all of the other professionals that worked to build the most incredible car I've ever owned. Being my daily driver, the smiles will accumulate rather quickly!! 110 miles, 200,000 to go!

Last edited by jazc4; 01-30-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jazc4
My previous Vette was an 06 coupe 3LT Z51 auto. I loved this car, and if it wasn't for some lady on a cell phone, I'd still be driving her.

I was upset, but now I find myself thanking her. If not for her, I never would have known what all of you Z06 guys were talking about.

This car is incredible! First off, the extra power is intoxicating. And the manual transmission brings a whole new dimension to the car. I had paddle shifting and I'll tell you it doesn't compare.

Everyone that sees it immediately says "Is this one wider than the old one?" Unanimously all love the wide body. This car looks so much more sexy than my coupe. I really loved my DSOM, but JSB is a suitable replacement.

My 06 had 3LT, but it doesn't compare to the Leather wrap in the 3LZ. The guys who complain about the corvette interior not being luxurious enough need to get the leather wrap. The interior is now what I would expect from a sports car of this magnitude.

So far the mods include Mild2Wild, Lloyd mats, smart fuse CAGs defeat, and Window Valet. Next up is a ZR1 spoiler, JSB fuel rail covers, and a fillerplate. Once I've had a month or two, I am considering CAI and a tune, maybe even a ported intake

Overall, to Dale Simmet and all of the other professionals that worked to build the most incredible car I've ever owned. Being my daily driver, the smiles will accumulate rather quickly!! 110 miles, 200,000 to go!
I don't see what all of the fuss is about.

You could have just bought another '06 or '07 coupe, better yet, an '08 coupe or convertible and done a "wide body" with a cam and heads package, a supercharger or nitrous.

You could have installed the supercharger yourself in your garage over the weekend and done the wide body at the same time with panels bought from Gene and sent to a local body and fender shop and prepainted before you installed them.

Or you could have done just a rear wide body.

You would have had a car which would smoke a stock Z06 at the drag strip for less money, and you would still have been able to take the top off of it.

Think about all of the money the guys in C6 General will point out that you wasted buying a Z06.

Seriously, congrats on moving up to the Z06

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-30-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 AM
jazc4
Instructor

Thanks! Funny thing is I never really took the top off my coupe. The C6 General guys can think what they want, but for me, I would have bought a Z06 the first time had I known what I know now.

Last edited by jazc4; 01-30-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Except I never really took the top off my coupe and have no desire to take it to a drag strip. Plus I prefer new over used.
Then why did you buy a car with all of that power if you aren't going to put it on a drag strip? A modded C6, that I can put together in my garage, with drag radials on it, will outrun you from a roll, and you do realize that the Z06 is no longer the "king" right?

Just razzing ya. But be prepared to hear this kind of tripe, bull$#** and outright sour grapes and jealousy over in elsewhere.

And do know that it will come mainly from those who don't "have the means", as you put it.

Congrats again on your Z06. Those of us who own them fully understand your enthusiasm.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-30-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats.Let the mods begin.And there is no pill ya can take to stop moding these things.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 AM
jazc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
But be prepared to hear this kind of tripe, bull$#** and outright sour grapes and jealousy over in elsewhere.

And do know that it will come mainly from those who don't "have the means", as you put it.

Congrats again on your Z06. Those of us who own them fully understand your enthusiasm.
Thanks again Quicksilver!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks again Quicksilver!
Miles of smiles.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:30 AM
1stc6z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! There's nothing like a Z06.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 AM
gpopvet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Lucifer13
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about to buy a C6 last summer but decided to hold off another year. I test drove a Z and knew there was no way I would buy anything else. Just ordered my cyber gray Z and can't wait to pick it up! Congrats
Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
V-Dub
Racer

Grats...when I do pull the trigger again, it will be on a Z06. And for all those that would make smartass comments to you about your decision, just let them know that when they are making YOUR car payment then you'll follow their lead...until then STFU.

V-Dub
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks! Funny thing is I never really took the top off my coupe. The C6 General guys can think what they want, but for me, I would have bought a Z06 the first time had I known what I know now.

First off,grats in the Z06!

Secondly,the highlighted part in your statement is a bullseye. The ones who will tell you that you "wasted" your money are the same guys who've never driven a Z06. It befuddles me how some can compare two cars without having driven both.

Or it could just be sour grapes for some of them....
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats!!! No question until you own a Z06, you might not fully understand what it is about! Enjoy!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I made the same switch from the exact same combo, a 2006 A6 3LT. And I almost did all of those modiications to it (widebody, supercharger, etc., etc.) until I finished adding it all up and realized the price was getting closer to what I would pay for a Z06. But now that I've had it for a month, there is nothing I could have done to that 2006 that would ever match this 2008 Z06 in its factory stock form. Best thing I ever did.

And yesterday I helped a friend step into a Z06 (2008 JSB 2LZ). Now I have a prowling buddy.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You made me smile with empathetic satisfaction !
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I agree with the sentiment COMPLETELY! My brother & I did Spring Mountain back in October and I drove the Z and then a coupe back-to-back in open sessions. Even with the Pfadt setup the coupe had on it it couldn't hold a candle to the Z around the track. The differences in the grip levels and especially the braking are just amazing.

From that moment I knew I'd be buying one, and the prices you can get right now are insane on what are absolutely supercars. I don't care whatever any review may say about the interior or what other Vette variants may appear, the Z06 is an AMAZING car and a ridiculous bang for the buck.

So that explains why there's a VY '08 sitting in my girlfriend's garage right now.. cause I was out of space in mine.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

While the ZO6 is not for everyone, it always make me laugh when people try to say that the modded coupe is just as good or autos are where it at etc.,etc. Once you spend some time in a Z, the differences are really apparent, as I am sure it is if one stepped up to the ZR1. I still say to leave the ZO6 as it is (no vert, no slush-box), as it is nearly perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To If you have the means, I suggest you pick one up

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenThere
You made me smile with empathetic satisfaction !
And then some
Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Congrats, my friend.

Red Cell.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I have the car out with me today since it's nice and sunny here in Houston. I don't normally drive it to work, but another friend just had to see it. I am starting to get more comfortable with it, so I am pushing it more and exploring its street limits. And today I was able to do something that I was never able to do in the 2006 Z51: pull an effortless 1.01G turn (at least according to the HUD) on the stock runflats without so much as a chirp. Its forward grip is still somewhat lacking mainly because temperatures are in the 50s, but its lateral grip will literally take your breath away. And its starting become less scary fast and just fast as we bond and become one with the road. God, I love this car.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 01-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] If you have the means, I suggest you pick one up