Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mgw shifter update!!!!!!!! Please read!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Default Mgw shifter update!!!!!!!! Please read!!!

ok guys i have made some great strides and discovered some details about our beloved rattling shifter boxes on these z06 corvettes....

first some points to ponder....

Q- why do most z06 cars rattle more than a non z06??

A- the z06 is the only model car that uses hard mounting bushings for the shifter box. the non z06 cars use rubber grommets that help absorb alot of the vibration.

Q- is the vibration coming from the shifter or the tranny??

A- i have come to the positive conclusion that the tranny is where the vibration is coming from. the stiffer and more preciswe the shifter the less it is able to absorb this vibration. that is why the stock unit does not rattle. cuz its a wet noodle rubberized piece of stamped junk

Q- why do some cars even of the same model rattle and some dont??

A - simple variances from tranny to tranny, shifter box to shifter box, engine balance etc. no 2 cars are the same.

Q - why does the stock **** rattle the most??

A - the stock **** only is clamped at the bottom and therefor it can buzz and rattle up top like a bell. also it is VERY light and plastic so it does nothing to dampen vibration.

Q - why did my MGW not rattle for 6 months and now it does.

A- the only reason is that is is cold now and the colder the poly bushings and rubber dampeners in the torque tube the harder they are and rattle. once the shifter warms up htings expand and soften and the rattle goes away.

Q - can you completely eliminate the rattle??

A- i htink we can reduce it to levels that are acceptable but the only real way to remove any vibration due to the poor design of the oem shifter linkage setup is to make a shifter that is mushy like stock so whats the point.

ok enough of that lets get down to business.....

i have concluded that 2 changes are really needed to help if you have a rattle issue. one is to redesign the shaft for the stock **** for the c6 which i have. this reduces the buzzing ALOT!!!! if you have a stock **** that rattles you can mail in your bracket and we can swap it out for you.

also, the pivot ball that is mounted on the bottom end of the shifter can be even larger which we now have. so if you would like one to try give julie or peggy a call and they can send you out one.

concerninig new orders... and pending orders....

i have done some desing changes to materials and am still watinig on some other parts for the new shifters leaving out...

the new shifter will be more expensive...

you have 2 options....

1. you can call peggy or julie and recieve the EXISTING style shifter which is going to have SOME issues on SOME cars with rattling especially z06 cars when cold. if you have no tolerance for that then you should either...

2 cancel the order nothing has been charged to you at all!!!!

3 wait for the new shifter that will be released middle of february which is est. cost of 250-275.

QUESTION....

WHAT IF I HAVE AN MGW SHIFTER THAT RATTLES ON MY CAR BUT I LOVE IT AND WANT AN MGW SHIFTER BUT DONT WANT TO BUY ANOTHER SHIFTER WHAT CAN YOU DO???

ANSWER....

SINCE THE MGW SHIFTER IS QUIET AND WORKS WITH ABOUT 90 PERCENT OF ALL CORVETTES THEN THE MARKET FOR THESE IS VERY STRONG. ITS STILL THE BEST SHIFTER ON THE MARKET. MY SUGGESTION IS TO SELL THE SHIFTER TO SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A 2008-2009 C6 OR A Z06 AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY. THEN YOU CAN BUY A NEW SHIFTER DESIGN FROM US AND WE WILL GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THE SHIFTER YOU BOUGHT LESS THE MONEY YOU SOLD IT FOR. PLEASE CALL US FOR DETAILS . I THINK THIS WILL BENEFIT THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY AS IT WILL GIVE FELLOW CORVETTE OWNERS A GREAT DEAL ON A GREAT SHIFTER AND ALSO ALLOW YOU TO UPGRADE WITH LITTLE COST.

if you have any questions please post them here as opposed to calling or emailing that way everyone can get the answer and not have to worry about calling and having me repaet the same questions and concerns. that will keep me on my chain on the machines in the back trying to get shifters out lol!!

regards
george
www.mgwltd.com

Last edited by MGW George; 01-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Sacul19
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Z06 that I recently bought. From what I understand I should not have a rattling issue on your current design with the stock shifter **** which I would like to keep? The problem is more related to the 2008-09 transmissions? Thank you.

Lucas
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

George,

If we currently have an order with you and want to wait until the new mods come out in the middle of Feb. at the new price can we do nothing and remain on the list for receipt of the new shifter when ready?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by sacul19
i have a 2006 z06 that i recently bought. From what i understand i should not have a rattling issue on your current design with the stock shifter **** which i would like to keep? The problem is more related to the 2008-09 transmissions? Thank you.

Lucas

all c6 z06s seem to vibrate more so that s unfortuantely not the case.

George
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
George,

If we currently have an order with you and want to wait until the new mods come out in the middle of Feb. at the new price can we do nothing and remain on the list for receipt of the new shifter when ready?
best thing is when we get them ready we will contact our cusotmers because i will NEVER take for granted someone wanting to psend more than what they originally ordered.

regards
george
Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
best thing is when we get them ready we will contact our cusotmers because i will NEVER take for granted someone wanting to psend more than what they originally ordered.

regards
george
That's fine as long as you keep me on the list to contact. I am anxious to install the new shifter this Spring and would like to hear from you as soon as it is ready and you can begin shipping. It saves me placing multiple calls to check on status.

Jim
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

OK, let me try and get a clear fix on what *I* need to do to eliminate or minimize the dreadful rattling I get in mine when it's (weather and/or car) cold.

2007 Z06 with MGW shifter and MGW Race **** all installed exactly as per included instructions and parts.

Calling the noise I have a "rattle" understates the case considerably. When things are cold (not the engine, btw) and you really give it the boot in, say, second gear, the sound I get is like a long metal rod being banged rapidly against a metal frame. It's *loud* - so loud, in fact, that I've never been able to believe that it's just the shifter itself. The central chassis tube must be providing a terrific echo chanber.

I can stop it by putting pressure on the shifter (pulling back on it firmly.) It only does this when the weather is cold or the car hasn't had time to "heat soak".

I really like the thing a lot aside from this issue. I've been living with it for the past year but it sure would be nice to cut it down to a dull roar and/or get the warmup time shortened a ton.

So, the cure for me would be...? All new unit? New ball? Ear plugs?

Thanks George!

Z //

ps. Let me add that my car did this, but to a much lesser degree, when it was new and with the stock shifter. Cold = rattle. I'd be happy just to get it back to that level.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok.... I would say that I love the shifter feel. It does transmit a bit more gear/transmission noise up into the cabin, especially the marbles-in-a-can phenomenon. However, my biggest complain or gripe, is what Zoxxo explained, ... under moderate to hard acceleration, I get a VERY PRONOUNCED metal on metal type of rattle. I know it's, with no further testing, that its the stock shifter. I remove the shifter and repeat and no noise. I install the stock shifter and its back. Also, like Zoxxo, I apply pressure to the **** (hehehehe!) and the rattle is almost eliminated.

So, according to what you are saying, I can send in my existing shifter and have it upgraded.

Question, and I get the feeling that you are not willing to do this.... but when your new design is ready for production, can I send in my current shifter and have it upgraded to your newer design with of course me paying the difference?

Also, if not, then what exactly are you upgrading if I send you my current shifter? The shaft? Pivot Ball?

A.

Oh, and thanks in advance in not letting our silly internet complaining go unnoticed!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

SINCE THE MGW SHIFTER IS QUIET AND WORKS WITH ABOUT 90 PERCENT OF ALL CORVETTES THEN THE MARKET FOR THESE IS VERY STRONG. ITS STILL THE BEST SHIFTER ON THE MARKET. MY SUGGESTION IS TO SELL THE SHIFTER TO SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A 2008-2009 C6 OR A Z06 AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY. THEN YOU CAN BUY A NEW SHIFTER DESIGN FROM US AND WE WILL GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THE SHIFTER YOU BOUGHT LESS THE MONEY YOU SOLD IT FOR. PLEASE CALL US FOR DETAILS . I THINK THIS WILL BENEFIT THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY AS IT WILL GIVE FELLOW CORVETTE OWNERS A GREAT DEAL ON A GREAT SHIFTER AND ALSO ALLOW YOU TO UPGRADE WITH LITTLE COST.
regards
george
www.mgwltd.com
WOW.....this is unheard of.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

First off I feel you've gone way over the edge in addressing this issue..Kudos to you George
Now..as I have the (a) noisy shifter from you, would you entertain a return credit (say 50% or so) to upgrade when your new design comes out ? I would think you'd be in a better position to market the "original design" and I 'm gonna go for the new shifter regardless...?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
JerzeyDevil
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09-'13

This is great news. As soon as the new design is ready I'll be placing an order!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Triona
Advanced

Of course to all you doubters, those of us known as "George's devoted " feel vindicated. I never questioned the master.

And read this carefully and consider what kind of relationship he is creating with his present customer base:

You can't ask more than that in my opinion. Hopefully, my 2008 3LT Z51 C6 coupe will be taken off my hands with a lease assumption and I can get the 2009 ZO6 I have my eye on.I will sell my MGW shifter on craigslist and ordering new one from the man.

Everyone can let their breath out now.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM
comes alive
Instructor

Default mgw

I own a 2008 Z06 with your shifter and it is perfect. thanks George
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
DirtyZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

George - my wife ordered me a shifter for my *2003* Z06 a couple weeks ago and was called soon after, being told that you guys were investigating design issues and it would ship late. Have now you shipped out shifters to those like me that do not have a C6 Z06?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

Maybe some kind of dampner should be on the shifting rod from tranny to kill the vibration before it reaches the shifter itself. Kind of like a finger touching a cymbal?

Last edited by ken-rx; 01-20-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: mis type
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
gto2ufo
Cruising

Default Order for C6 Z06 in the UK

Hi George,

You have our order (030823) for an MGW Short Shifter for our 2006 Victory Red C6 Z06. Just to say, we really appreciate the development work you are carrying out. Also, we are happy to pay the increased cost and to wait until you are satisfied your product is ready to be released.

We will be happy to promote the product to the Corvette Club of UK, so we're sure it is better to be patient and to wait until you are good and ready to supply !

Best Regards
Chas Whitaker and Dee Knight
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q- why do most z06 cars rattle more than a non z06??

A- the z06 is the only model car that uses hard mounting bushings for the shifter box. the non z06 cars use rubber grommets that help absorb alot of the vibration.

Q- is the vibration coming from the shifter or the tranny??

A- i have come to the positive conclusion that the tranny is where the vibration is coming from. the stiffer and more preciswe the shifter the less it is able to absorb this vibration. that is why the stock unit does not rattle. cuz its a wet noodle rubberized piece of stamped junk

www.mgwltd.com
I have played with several MGW shifters on my 06 Z and have eliminated the rattle. Here's is my take on the issues, the shifter rattle is caused by engine/transmission vibration. It is hard to separate whether it is the engine or the transmission because they are hard mounted together through the torque tube so it really doesn't matter. My feeling is that the larger 7 liter motor vibrates more than the smaller C6 motors. I replaced the shifter box which the MGW shifter mounts onto with a rubber mounted C6 box and still had shifter rattle in 80 degree weather and after the car was running for more than a half an hour. I then started changing shift ***** to heavier *****. I have the ability to machine my own ***** so I started with one that weighed about a pound, this helped but did not cure the rattle. I then made a heavier **** close to 2 pounds and it cured the rattle. My **** looks like a hard bar shift **** only it is made of stainless steel and the cylindrical section is knurled. The added mass of the **** really helps complete shifts and gives the transmission a smooth quality feel. Mushing up the shift shaft coupling like the stock unit will cure the rattle but eliminate the precision feel, the rubber mounted C6 shift box doesn't degrade the shift feel. It is important in quelling the vibration to mass load the shaft at the furthest point out on the shaft (the ****). I tried heavy rings on the shaft under the boot to no avail. So in summary to enjoy the MGW shifter's precision on my Z rattle free, I replaced the shifter box with a C6 rubber mounted unit and added a heavy (2 pound) ****. George, try machining up a series of heavier *****. Once you find the mass that works, the **** can be retro fit to all of your existing shifters that are having issues.

Last edited by Just Enough; 01-20-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added picture

Get notified of new replies

To Mgw shifter update!!!!!!!! Please read!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

If more **** weight is the real solution why not just make a **** which is fairly hollow and provide a weight port sealed with a set screw similar to that used in some golf clubs?

You can then fill the thing with the required amount of either lead or tungsten powder and get high mass without much if any size increase from the stock ****. Sort of like a tune your shift **** kit.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Enough
I have played with several MGW shifters on my 06 Z and have eliminated the rattle. Here's is my take on the issues, the shifter rattle is caused by engine/transmission vibration. It is hard to separate whether it is the engine or the transmission because they are hard mounted together through the torque tube so it really doesn't matter. My feeling is that the larger 7 liter motor vibrates more than the smaller C6 motors. I replaced the shifter box which the MGW shifter mounts onto with a rubber mounted C6 box and still had shifter rattle in 80 degree weather and after the car was running for more than a half an hour. I then started changing shift ***** to heavier *****. I have the ability to machine my own ***** so I started with one that weighed about a pound, this helped but did not cure the rattle. I then made a heavier **** close to 2 pounds and it cured the rattle. My **** looks like a hard bar shift **** only it is made of stainless steel and the cylindrical section is knurled. The added mass of the **** really helps complete shifts and gives the transmission a smooth quality feel. Mushing up the shift shaft coupling like the stock unit will cure the rattle but eliminate the precision feel, the rubber mounted C6 shift box doesn't degrade the shift feel. It is important in quelling the vibration to mass load the shaft at the furthest point out on the shaft (the ****). I tried heavy rings on the shaft under the boot to no avail. So in summary to enjoy the MGW shifter's precision on my Z rattle free, I replaced the shifter box with a C6 rubber mounted unit and added a heavy (2 pound) ****. George, try machining up a series of heavier *****. Once you find the mass that works, the **** can be retro fit to all of your existing shifters that are having issues.

A heavier **** is definitely the answer.

I went to a 1.07 lb **** and it has cured my rattle. There is another guy who has a 1.32lb **** made by the same company which made mine, and he attest to its effectiveness at eliminating the rattle of the MGW shifter.

A nearly 2lb **** sounds enticing. No way its is going to rattle under that kind of weight.

Also with a **** of that weight, I'd be you have absolutely no problem shifting. The heavier weight ***** definitely result in an improved feel.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-21-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that **** you made there. Might have to fire up the lathe in the garage and see if I can't turn one just like it. Did you use a tap to cut the threads or did you use the lathe and a thread setting to mill them out?

Only thing is, in the summer, that might get a little hot to touch here in Texas.

Jay

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mgw shifter update!!!!!!!! Please read!!!