Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Early Bird Market Drying Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM
ZRick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Bird Market Drying Up

Two ZR1 eBay auctions ended unsuccessfully this weekend where biding only reached $118k and $122k. The list of overanxious buyers appears to be getting shorter.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Not the least bit surprising. The market for a 6 figure Corvette with a premium added is going to be very limited.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
5 OBAIT
Navigator

The ZR1 came out at the wrong time for GM. On the other had it's a great buyer's market. In the near future your going to see good buys on the ZR1.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The car market is DEAD. Including the ZR1. Dealers will be lucky to get MSRP.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
JessR
Racer

dealers may have to start cuting prices in half the get the inventory out.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think the bidding on Ebay has much to do with the market. They put them on there for exposure and then sell them with some one calling on them for more money than is bid. Otherwise they would put them on there at MSRP with no reserve.

Last edited by CORVETTEZL1001; 12-15-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a local dealer here in CA call me about a ZR1 coming in. This dealer is terrible and never calls. However in this case they offered me the car for 20k over which is unheard of for this dealership. Yes, they are HURTING. I did not bite, even though I knew I could get it for 10k over. I am so glad to see this.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
yellerz51
Pro

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The car market is DEAD. Including the ZR1. Dealers will be lucky to get MSRP.
With the factory shut down for 2 months dealers will be lucky to even have a ZR1. Every time one sells there is one less in the marketplace. If the plan was to produce 2000 cars for the 09 model year how long will the 30 or so cars that are unsold sit around? If they don't sell why would GM make more of them?

The real question is will the Vette line EVER start up again under GM? If they declare BK and they run out of cash shortly how will they come up with the funds to fire the plant back up?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

As usual, only time will tell.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
RRGOO7
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been searching for a ZR1 within the last week or so. Ive called all the dealers on Jeff Hardys site with Cyber Grey's and JBlue's...My lowest so far is 15k over. Im thinking the prices are only going to INCREASE with production stopping and the cars becoming virtually unavailable
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
blaCkvette6
Advanced

Alen Gwen Glendale Chevrolet has them for $118 + 60k markup
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RRGOO7
I have been searching for a ZR1 within the last week or so. Ive called all the dealers on Jeff Hardys site with Cyber Grey's and JBlue's...My lowest so far is 15k over. Im thinking the prices are only going to INCREASE with production stopping and the cars becoming virtually unavailable
B I N G O

Econ 101...simple supply and demand.....
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
L8RG8R
Racer

Originally Posted by RRGOO7
Im thinking the prices are only going to INCREASE with production stopping and the cars becoming virtually unavailable
Only the crazies would spend that kind of money in the global economic down-spiral we are in, especially on a car that will lose 20% value the moment it leaves the car lot. So let's assume production stopped tomorrow and the value on a ZR1 soared to $500,000. If the public can't buy it, the ZR1 owner is left with an expensive heap of bolts and CF. As long as a ZR1 can only do .02 seconds better than my 07 Z06 in the 1/4 and stop 9 feet quicker, I don't care if the ZR1 production stops or not.....I am completely satisfied ruling the roost in my Z06
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay's a reasonable data point

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
I don't think the bidding on Ebay has much to do with the market. They put them on there for exposure and then sell them with some one calling on them for more money than is bid. Otherwise they would put them on there at MSRP with no reserve.

There are a number of successful auctions for ZR1s on Ebay, and quite a bit of bidding (one auction attracted 76 bids, but was unsuccessful). It looks like the value, based on the successful auctions, is between approximately $130K and $140K. So I'm not sure I agree with what you've written. I think that Ebay is a pretty good place to get an idea of what the market price is for a ZR1, within a range. Obviously, if someone does bid on Ebay, and wins, that person/dealer is obliged to sell it to the winner. I think most sellers, especially of sports cars, put a reserve that they think is reasonable, but I've generally noticed that, as is usually the case, the seller is unreasonable, and sets it above the market. But, despite the motivation of dealers right now, I certainly don't think any of them would "put them on there at MSRP with no reserve" because that may in fact be what the market is, and with no reserve, they'd have to sell it at the high bid. Many times, the auction states that the car is being sold locally as well, so the auction may end prior to the stated expiry. You have to believe that the seller got what they wanted locally (higher than latest bid, probably reserve plus) if they pull it prior to the end of the auction, otherwise why would they do the sale and pull the auction?

If you look at completed auctions, whether they ended with a sale or not, you do get a very good idea what bidders are willing to pay. This is good data for determining a reasonable reserve for the next auction and a pretty good proxy for the market value. I would expect that bidders for ZR1s on Ebay are relatively savvy; I wouldn't expect an uninformed, naive individual would be bidding 6 figures *****-nilly.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Z06 Sport
Racer

Originally Posted by L8RG8R
Only the crazies would spend that kind of money in the global economic down-spiral we are in, especially on a car that will lose 20% value the moment it leaves the car lot. So let's assume production stopped tomorrow and the value on a ZR1 soared to $500,000. If the public can't buy it, the ZR1 owner is left with an expensive heap of bolts and CF. As long as a ZR1 can only do .02 seconds better than my 07 Z06 in the 1/4 and stop 9 feet quicker, I don't care if the ZR1 production stops or not.....I am completely satisfied ruling the roost in my Z06
There are a few things the ZR1 does better than our Z06 we all know that. Those few things motivate people with available cash to spend and go after this car. After all, although cash is king right now, interest is not, so putting out doesn't really matter. Depreciation the moment it leaves the lot is only in theory. One question though, if you are completely satisfied with your Z06 why are you posting to threads in this forum?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
ammoman
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

You can tell who has money and who does not just by the post.
140g's to some is 1,400 dollars to others.That's why you can't imagine someone spending money on this car.
BTW every car is worth 20% less in a day.
When you eventually get to the point that you can afford what you want and you worked hard to get there, you will also learn that you can't take it with you.
Eric
Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Howydo
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

I have had my 2009 ZR1 for two months now and its still worth at least MSRP and probably more. I too like the C6 z06 and have also had one in the past. But make no mistake there is no comparison between the two cars. The ZR1 is much faster and more refined not to mention its awesome handling. Don't just look at 0-60 times and quarter mile. The trap speed on the car is almost 131 miles an hour suggesting that with proper traction (tires) the car should be able to get into the 10s on the quarter mile. 0-60 is a meaningless number once you get into the mid 3 sec range because of the traction issues with a rear wheel drive car. The car feels faster all around then the Z06 and it has a lot of cool features as well such as all the carbon fiber and the carbon ceramic brakes/wheels...

Get notified of new replies

To Early Bird Market Drying Up

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
ZRick
Advanced

Hi Ravine,

I see there is a lot of activity on one eBay ZR1 in Pensacola, Fl. The bidding has topped $133k on a Jetstream Blue, which seems to be a hot color. Notice, however, no other ZR1s have been bid above $120k, as of the time of this reply. I started tracking all eBay ZR1's as of Dec. 1st, since the market seemed to be softening. During this time the following unsuccessful auctions have ended with bidding reaching only the below levels:

Dec. 6th, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, $122k
Dec. 6th, Johnson City, TN, $126K
Dec. 12th, Orange, CA, $118k
Dec. 13th, LA, CA, $122k
Dec. 14th, Westmont, IL, $125k

These bids are well below what we have seen up until this timeframe. Also, since Dec. 1st, there have been two successful sales at $128k (nothing higher), so dealers now appear willing to take lower markups. This bodes well moving forward.

Last edited by ZRick; 12-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRick
Hi Ravine,

I see there is a lot of activity on one eBay ZR1 in Pensacola, Fl. The bidding has topped $133k on a Jetstream Blue, which seems to be a hot color. Notice, however, no other ZR1s have been bid above $120k, as of the time of this reply. I started tracking all eBay ZR1's as of Dec. 1st, since the market seemed to be softening. During this time the following unsuccessful auctions have ended with bidding reaching only the below levels:

Dec. 6th, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, $122k
Dec. 6th, Johnson City, TN, $126K
Dec. 12th, Orange, CA, $118k
Dec. 13th, LA, CA, $122k
Dec. 14th, Westmont, IL, $125k

These bids are well below what we have seen up until this timeframe. Also, since Dec. 1st, there have been two successful sales at $128k (nothing higher), so dealers now appear willing to take lower markups. This bodes well moving forward.
What the incomplete auctions get bid up to is totally meaningless. That's just a list of bidders who have wishful thinking. Everyone knows that it's only COMPLETED auctions that have relevance. Those cars that don't get bid to reserve will be listed again and sold at reserve or higher. Just because there isn't a buyer this week, doesn't mean there won't be one next week. If you list your used car and don't get an asking price offer in the first week, do you give up and cut your price? The available cars are still pretty darn rare.

Last edited by robvuk; 12-15-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by robvuk
What the incomplete auctions get bid up to is totally meaningless. That's just a list of bidders who have wishful thinking. Everyone knows that it's only COMPLETED auctions that have relevance. Those cars that don't get bid to reserve will be listed again and sold at reserve or higher. Just because there isn't a buyer this week, doesn't mean there won't be one next week. If you list your used car and don't get an asking price offer in the first week, do you give up and cut your price? The available cars are still pretty darn rare.
I commend your optimism but to answer your question, yes, if you list something and it doesn't sell you list it again at a lower price. This is played out on daily basis by the forum dealers.

Last edited by Maui; 12-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Early Bird Market Drying Up