Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Scary--"Not Buying a ZR1"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Scary--"Not Buying a ZR1"

I am not going to go into all the Detail about my ZR1 Purchase and where it took me the last week- Alabama, Florida, New York etc..--but Suffice it to say that a local Dealer who has ZR1--"Set me Straight without him even knowing it" Forget the fact he lost a Good Potential Customer who God Willing Buys Every Year..........I agreed to pay over Sticker for the Zr1 and I figured I would trade my 2009 Cyber Grey ZO6with a 1000 miles on it and I would get the Tax Savings (over 8% in NY)..I would be even,,,but get this HE DID NOT WANT MY ZO6 AT ANY PRICE......He's Afraid he will be Stuck with it into the Summer.....Hey Guys thats How bad it is out there.......I have the money (*thats not the issue) but he Woke me up to the Fact this is Dangeous times....So I will Back away and hold on to LIQUID MONEY rather then a ZR1.......and drive my Lowly ZO6......I think CASH is the only "KING" Today.......I bow down to those who said the ZR1 will be Below MSRP In the Very Near Future.....The FUTURE IS NOW......
Old 12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the price drop on all the Corvette and even Ferraris. I agree with waiting. The price of the cars are not going up but down. How far no one knows but we all do know that prices are not going up.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
PO10TIAL
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the Z06, theres nothing wrong with it at all. Nows not the time to take big hits on cars, thats the only reason I still have my 2007. Besides, what do you think the ZR1 will be worth in June when the 2010's come out. Times are changing..........
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I'm am somewhat surprised the dealer did not take the Z06 on trade for a ZR1. The delaer blew up the sale because fo that? Wonder if he already has a back-up buyer.

But I agree with your decision, Harvey.

I have my eye out for a VY 2LZ C6 Z06, but they are having such a hard time holding ANY kind of value, it seems, that I too am afraid to pull the trigger...at least now. Plus, up here in the Northeast, I might as well wait until the Spring thaw and see what the market is then.

I've seen 2007s in the 46K range with less than 6K miles, and some dude on the auction site in Harvey's back yard offered me his loaded VY2LZ Chrome/NAV 2008 with LESS THAN 1000 MILES on it for 54,500 the other night.

CASH is KING right now, no bout a doubt it!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

Originally Posted by PO10TIAL
Keep the Z06, theres nothing wrong with it at all. Nows not the time to take big hits on cars, thats the only reason I still have my 2007. Besides, what do you think the ZR1 will be worth in June when the 2010's come out. Times are changing..........
The biggest concern I have is the continued production of Corvettes and my biggest concern is the ZR1 (gas guzzler status) given the current climate in Washington. If the ZR1 continues to be produced, then I agree that the price will soften over time. As the old saying goes, time will tell. I sure hope they continue to be built.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Finster07
Pro

Sorry to hear that the ZR1 deal did not go through. I read about your Z06 that was for sale and sat down and actually spoke to my wife about it. We came to the conclusion that this is not the time for us to upgrade from a coup to a Z06. I appreciate what you wrote though and think that you made a wise choice. I hate to say it but I do think the times will get worse before things get better. And when they do get better, you can sell me your Z06!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

You my friend are not your typical buyer, and he blew it big time by not doing his homework on you. The bottom is indeed falling out.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
2manyvetts
Racer

Just turbo charge your Z06 and you have a ZR1 without the lexan glass on the hood.

By the way, a dealer told me that the Manheim auction is showing 2008 Z06's ,with a couple of hundred miles, going for $48,000.00 and 2008 verts going for 33,000.00. This is one of two main auction sites the dealers use to purchase their cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
I am not going to go into all the Detail about my ZR1 Purchase and where it took me the last week- Alabama, Florida, New York etc..--but Suffice it to say that a local Dealer who has ZR1--"Set me Straight without him even knowing it" Forget the fact he lost a Good Potential Customer who God Willing Buys Every Year..........I agreed to pay over Sticker for the Zr1 and I figured I would trade my 2009 Cyber Grey ZO6with a 1000 miles on it and I would get the Tax Savings (over 8% in NY)..I would be even,,,but get this HE DID NOT WANT MY ZO6 AT ANY PRICE......He's Afraid he will be Stuck with it into the Summer.....Hey Guys thats How bad it is out there.......I have the money (*thats not the issue) but he Woke me up to the Fact this is Dangeous times....So I will Back away and hold on to LIQUID MONEY rather then a ZR1.......and drive my Lowly ZO6......I think CASH is the only "KING" Today.......I bow down to those who said the ZR1 will be Below MSRP In the Very Near Future.....The FUTURE IS NOW......
wise-I also reconsidered and decided that Z06 and tvs is a better plan
Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Interesting trail of threads since the start...I'll agree with you that cash is and always will be King.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I happened to be talking to a dealer last week who normally sells around 40-45 Corvettes a month. Last month, he sold 14. Only 4 used vettes on his used car lot. Also, a couple of weeks ago, a friend purchased a 08 Z06, 2LZ, JSB, chromes, with 5400 miles, off ebay for $50,000. He was the only bidder and the car was offered with no reserve. It's tough out there if you're selling cars, new or used.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette4jr
I'm am somewhat surprised the dealer did not take the Z06 on trade for a ZR1. The delaer blew up the sale because fo that? Wonder if he already has a back-up buyer.

But I agree with your decision, Harvey.

I have my eye out for a VY 2LZ C6 Z06, but they are having such a hard time holding ANY kind of value, it seems, that I too am afraid to pull the trigger...at least now. Plus, up here in the Northeast, I might as well wait until the Spring thaw and see what the market is then.

I've seen 2007s in the 46K range with less than 6K miles, and some dude on the auction site in Harvey's back yard offered me his loaded VY2LZ Chrome/NAV 2008 with LESS THAN 1000 MILES on it for 54,500 the other night.

CASH is KING right now, no bout a doubt it!
Your not going to find a better price than that, you better jump on it if it has less than 1000 miles, the guy probably was blowing smoke. A friend of mine just sold his 2007 2lz VY Z with a little less than a 1000 miles on it for 56k to a dealer and the dealer has already sold the car.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Absolutely crazy to think the ZR1, or any other car can be sold in these times for over MSRP. I would never consider it, as I didn't with the ZO6. These cars will be down in a hurry and I think you can bet on it. I don't care how many they make, though I am sure the dealers will keep puffing the BS to hope against hope they can make some profit somewhere. I actually don't blame them at this point for that as there is no profit margin anywhere else with the deals and incentives and that is not even bringing into the fact that cars are not selling anyway despite these deals. All factors point to economic times getting worse before they get better. Paying over MSRP at this point borders on insane IMO.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Absolutely crazy to think the ZR1, or any other car can be sold in these times for over MSRP. I would never consider it, as I didn't with the ZO6. These cars will be down in a hurry and I think you can bet on it. I don't care how many they make, though I am sure the dealers will keep puffing the BS to hope against hope they can make some profit somewhere. I actually don't blame them at this point for that as there is no profit margin anywhere else with the deals and incentives and that is not even bringing into the fact that cars are not selling anyway despite these deals. All factors point to economic times getting worse before they get better. Paying over MSRP at this point borders on insane IMO.
All this discussion about paying over MSRP is insane or wait until prices drop to or below MSRP before you buy..... So why is MSRP or less, the "sane" price to pay? It's not about MSRP, it's about perceived value. If Chevy priced the ZR1 at $130k (which is still way less than it's performance peer group) and the dealers were selling for $125k, all of the emails would be about the disaster of the ZR1 selling below MSRP so early. Who cares about MSRP. It's a free market system. Everything reaches it's center. I don't hear anyone saying they should be paying more for a Z06 because it's selling for $11k under MSRP. In the case of the ZR1, the early buyers are still willing to pay over MSRP because they have a certain set of value criteria that is worth a certain price. When that population runs out the next tier of value and price kicks in. Maybe it's at MSRP, maybe at $5k over, maybe at under. Who knows? The point is that too many people get hung up on MSRP. In many ways it's a very meaningless number. To me buying this car is about enjoying the ride and the experience of Chevy's first true Super Car. I don't measure the enjoyment, by how long I can wait to see if I can be tt see if I can get one below MSRP or by how much it will be worth when the 2010's come out. That's investment thinking. I don't expect any car to be an investment. To me it's about the car, to others it seems to be more about the hunt or the size of the deal. To each his/her own, I guess.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
manicheus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Your not going to find a better price than that, you better jump on it if it has less than 1000 miles, the guy probably was blowing smoke. A friend of mine just sold his 2007 2lz VY Z with a little less than a 1000 miles on it for 56k to a dealer and the dealer has already sold the car.
How about this one? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...351-miles.html

F/S 2007 velocity Yellow 2LZ ZO6 351 miles!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is your chance to pick up a non-modded 2007 ZO6 with only 351 miles on it, the car has no scratches no blemishes no chips or flaws. The car is presently on a lift in a climate controlled garage where you will be able to inspect the underneath which still maintains the factory stickers and markings. The car comes with a mid-america cover especially designed for the ZO6. The price is $53,000.00 please email me at bcor99fast@aol.com. No trades as I have a new car on the way from the westcoast, thanks!This car is located in Central New Jersey 40 minutes from New York City and 1 hour from Philadelphia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by onefast99; 12-04-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Price lowered to 53k
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PO10TIAL
Besides, what do you think the ZR1 will be worth in June when the 2010's come out.
Plenty, if they halt production of the Vettes for awhile or even permanently.

Get notified of new replies

To Scary--"Not Buying a ZR1"

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Very simply, keep your Z for sale & sell it (it will sell eventually), then shop for your ZR1.

Sometimes you have to wait for the candy, even when you're "liquid rich".

YMMV.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by manicheus
How about this one? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...351-miles.html

F/S 2007 velocity Yellow 2LZ ZO6 351 miles!!!

Here is your chance to pick up a non-modded 2007 ZO6 with only 351 miles on it, the car has no scratches no blemishes no chips or flaws. The car is presently on a lift in a climate controlled garage where you will be able to inspect the underneath which still maintains the factory stickers and markings. The car comes with a mid-america cover especially designed for the ZO6. The price is $53,000.00 please email me at bcor99fast@aol.com. No trades as I have a new car on the way from the westcoast, thanks!This car is located in Central New Jersey 40 minutes from New York City and 1 hour from Philadelphia.

Last edited by onefast99; 12-04-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Price lowered to 53k
We'll see if he gets what he's asking. I doubt it will come close to that though...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

That is until hyper-inflation sets in and the aluminium content of the car becomes more valuable than stacks of money...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Scary--"Not Buying a ZR1"