Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Magnetic Selective Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,887 Likes on 1,175 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Thanks. Then my next question is what is different between the suspension in the ZR1 vs Base C6 F55? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.... Basically, can you make a Base C6 F55 handle like a ZR1 (assuming equal tires) while keeping the magnetic shocks?
Start with the basics: sway bars and springs. I don't know if they're different between coupe/vert F55 and ZR1 F55, but I'm sure they are. Those would be the two (or four, if you count all the parts) main physical differences.

From there, it's tuning. From what I understand, the RTD computer would need to be "changed" to work with the new handling characteristics of the car. And, that's where the rub exists. No one knows how to do that, nor has anyone really tried to (like... why bother?)

In the end, start with the easiest things to change: the tires. The vast majority of the handling and ride compliance differences will be made up right there.

jas
Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 AM
FIREMANMIKE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adias
The same shocks used in the ZR1 are equipping 08 C6s w/ F55 starting Oct 08 or thereabouts. My Dec 08 C6 F55 had them and I noticed the difference (firmer) re previous F55 generations. Interesting that I commented about that on the C6 forum and was summarily dismissed as untrue (NOT)...

But they didn't make and '08 in Oct '08; at that time they were producing '09's.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 AM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREMANMIKE
But they didn't make and '08 in Oct '08; at that time they were producing '09's.
My bad... I meant Oct 07 and Dec 07, respectively.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
The vast majority of the handling, ride, and comfort differences between any of the models of Corvette can be attributed to the tires. Certainly, GM tuned the suspension parameters in the RTD computer for the ZR1 a little differently than they did for the coupe/vert RTD. Things like sway bar sizes and spring rates are different between the cars, and need to be accounted for by the RTD computer.

However, as I already stated: the big difference is the tires. You'd be amazed at how different a Corvette feels when you put something OTHER than Goodyears on it...

jas

I'd agree that tires is the largest factor in handling differences between models.

However, I believe it's only a minor difference in comfort differences. A base Vette with Z06 tires is still going to ride considerably smoother than a Z06. Shocks & springs are the largest factors in ride comfort.

Also, IMO, the RTD software shouldn't care about your sway bars or tires. Only the simplest of controllers relies on hard-coded open loop parameters.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,887 Likes on 1,175 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
Also, IMO, the RTD software shouldn't care about your sway bars or tires. Only the simplest of controllers relies on hard-coded open loop parameters.
It may be your opinion, but it simply isn't fact. The RTD software does need to know about these things. And I get this data from a buddy who helped work the RTD for one of GM's vehicles. So, it's your opinion vs. his direct knowledge. I'll take his over yours. :-)

jas
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
FIREMANMIKE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adias
My bad... I meant Oct 07 and Dec 07, respectively.
So our cars (mine was built May '08) have the same shocks used on the ZR1?a
Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys this is what I would like to know. Is the ZR1 suspension better than all the aftermarket set ups being offered. Are the ZR1 guys that go to the track going to change suspension or are they better off with what they have right now? Does the car still hop to the side when hitting a bump in a turn?
I know some of you have driven both on the track. Please share?
Congrats to all of you that have purchased and hope you enjoy every second.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Heber Guy
... Does the car still hop to the side when hitting a bump in a turn? ...
MR shocks help to decouple bump energy from affecting the chassis. With that said, my C6 F55 still hops when it hits bumps on a curve. The ZR1 with heavier springs and sway bars will probably hop more than a C6 F55 but less than a C6 Z51. I don't have a ZR1 so that's an educated guess.

Heavy springs and sway bars are great for limiting body roll/pitch/dive but they suck at keeping the tires in contact with the road over anything but the smoothest of roads.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Magnetic Selective Ride