Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Club Sport Z06 Modified Luxery Exotic mag

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineBall
Such misinformation. How is a Katech car more "subtle" than an ACR? It is no more of a track-only car than a regular Viper. Rotors, shocks, tires, wing. That is pretty subtle over a base Viper.
Yeah, I see those wings on a lot of street cars. Well, come to think of it, I can only remember seeing those kind of wings on two kinds of cars - World Challenge race cars and street driven Honda's with undercar neon lights that flash in unison with the beat of the car stereo...

Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Yeah, I see those wings on a lot of street cars. Well, come to think of it, I can only remember seeing those kind of wings on two kinds of cars - World Challenge race cars and street driven Honda's with undercar neon lights that flash in unison with the beat of the car stereo...

So, a wing makes a car less streetable? Sure, it looks out of place, but that does not affect the streetability of the car. It doesn't even block the rearview mirror, it is high enough to see underneath it.

Some of you guys are just soft. My '68 Stingray was less "streetable" than either of my newer cars, and it was mostly stock. Worse brakes, rougher ride, louder exhaust, no A/C, no overdrive, no windshield wipers, etc... That is less "streetable" to me.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

So, a wing makes a car less streetable? Sure, it looks out of place, but that does not affect the streetability of the car. It doesn't even block the rearview mirror, it is high enough to see underneath it.

Some of you guys are just soft. My '68 Stingray was less "streetable" than either of my newer cars, and it was mostly stock. Worse brakes, rougher ride, louder exhaust, no A/C, no overdrive, no windshield wipers, etc... That is less "streetable" to me.
I'm only answering your point about how "subtle" the car is. I wouldn't exactly call a wing of that size and effectiveness "subtle". That was the only issue I addressed. I don't see a wing that is high enough that "It doesn't even block the rearview mirror, it is high enough to see underneath it." as subtle. The point being made was that the Katech car (without a wing you can see under in your rearview mirror) is more subtle than this Viper.

Not being soft, just a different approach. More subtle...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
wickedness
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The porsche GT2, GT3 both have rear wings to.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

So did the Pontiac Bonneville I saw on Thanksgiving cross the Bay Bridge. Of course, the wing was on backwards

I sure wish I could have taken a picture without driving my truck off the bridge.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

I'm only answering your point about how "subtle" the car is. I wouldn't exactly call a wing of that size and effectiveness "subtle". That was the only issue I addressed. I don't see a wing that is high enough that "It doesn't even block the rearview mirror, it is high enough to see underneath it." as subtle. The point being made was that the Katech car (without a wing you can see under in your rearview mirror) is more subtle than this Viper.

Not being soft, just a different approach. More subtle...
I agree the ACR is not as subtle in the visuals department, but the car itself is not as heavily modified as the Club Sport is from its base model. I was basing my response on "subtle" as meaning the hardware or how harcore the car was, not appearance.

Visuals do not deter from a vehicle being streetable though, those are a personal preference.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

The FACT is that both cars are still street cars, but perform well on the track. I don't understand why some people seem to think the ACR is some racecar. It still has A/C, power windows, etc.. just like all the other Vipers. You can even order it with navigation if you wish.
Well said.....we're not talking about the Competition Coupe here.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
So did the Pontiac Bonneville I saw on Thanksgiving cross the Bay Bridge. Of course, the wing was on backwards

I sure wish I could have taken a picture without driving my truck off the bridge.
it would have been worth it Sean.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Originally Posted by redknight
Car and Driver did compare the CS Z to the ZR1.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...51_z06_feature
Cliff notes: The ZR1 beats the CS by 6 tenths on the 2.0 mile Grattan Raceway.

If the CS was not able to perform up to its true potential against the ACR, as Katech is saying, then the ZR1 definitely has a chance to give the ACR a run for its money.

Thanks for this ....I didnt know they had a head to head...Interesting...Definately bodes well for the ZR1 vs the ACR at least for the first lap or two till heatsoak . Had I the money the CS would be my choice for track over the ZR1. I think the ZR1 will be alot closer to the ACR and without the boyracer yet very functional bits. Cant wait for there first head to head test...

BTW I fully agree with Nineball and Ive been sayin this on so many forums. ACR and Viper are closer than people think or WANT to think. All they did was add functional stuff that the average car enthusiasts puts on there STREET vehicle anyway. They just made it work in harmony..The scary part is that this was a well modified tuner Z06 vs a factory ACR. Tuner car for tuner car should favor the ACR if, as this test shows, stock it runs with or bests such an utterly competant Katech package. Henyouknowwho just did one that dynoed at 620rwhp with just bolt ons I believe...Imagine that with 100lbs + lighter weight Two great cars in th eACR and CS...

The reg Viper seems to be a forgotten step child by the mags lol...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SSphantom
The Katech Club Sport was a pretty subtle track package compared to the ACR. Both are great cars.

Put a Wing on the Club Sport and add 40 - 50 more hp and I think the CS would be beating the ACR by a few seconds.
And put Balanger headers and exhaust, which are factory options for the 08(full set-up add around 80hp) and ACR stomps the CS, all the "Ifs' mean nothing, fact is ACR still hasnt been beat. even by a track prepped power added vette, amd 10k more for the vette on top of it.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
...fact is ACR still hasnt been beat.
That's not quite true.... and I think you know which car beat it.

You Viper Policemen crack me up - no one here in any section of CORVETTE Forum can even hint at any car that even comes close to the almighty Viper without you starting in. Give it a rest boys, this is Corvette Forum. The ACR IS a factory tuner car, specifically dialed in to optimize track performance (and don't even try to convince me it's not, just read any one of the many articles on the development of the ACR, which proves the point). The Club Sport is mildly optimized for the track, and, it has a completely STOCK LS7 with the only engine mod being the cold air intake. I'd say it stood up pretty well against a factory super car like the ACR.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HEAR, HEAR
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
And put Balanger headers and exhaust, which are factory options for the 08(full set-up add around 80hp) and ACR stomps the CS, all the "Ifs' mean nothing, fact is ACR still hasnt been beat. even by a track prepped power added vette, amd 10k more for the vette on top of it.
Are you sure about this??? I find it hard to believe you can get long tube headers as a factory option being they are illegal in every state for emissions.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Are you sure about this??? I find it hard to believe you can get long tube headers as a factory option being they are illegal in every state for emissions.
You can get a "factory" cam, suspension and all sorts of stuff from GM for the Corvettes too but that doesn't make them "stock" or emissions legal.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
That's not quite true.... and I think you know which car beat it.

You Viper Policemen crack me up - no one here in any section of CORVETTE Forum can even hint at any car that even comes close to the almighty Viper without you starting in. Give it a rest boys, this is Corvette Forum. The ACR IS a factory tuner car, specifically dialed in to optimize track performance (and don't even try to convince me it's not, just read any one of the many articles on the development of the ACR, which proves the point). The Club Sport is mildly optimized for the track, and, it has a completely STOCK LS7 with the only engine mod being the cold air intake. I'd say it stood up pretty well against a factory super car like the ACR.
This "Viper Policeman" owns a Z06 too. In fact, anyone that knows me might tell you I'm an LS engine fanatic. I just dislike incorrect information, especially when I know something about a subject. Yes, this is a "CORVETTE" forum, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant over here and spew incorrect information. Owning a Corvette isn't license to act dumb about other brands.

ACR is not a "Tuner" car. In case you don't understand the use of the word "tuner", it means that an aftermarket company tuned the car and enhanced it. Popular names are such as Saleen, Hennessey, Katech, Brabus, Lingenfelter, etc.... "Tuner" cars do not come out of a factory production line, that defeats the use of the name tuner.

ACR has a stock Viper engine, same engine as in the base Viper. You should read more and pay attention to details. That CAI and headers on the LS7 in the Club Sport means it is more "modified" than the ACR engine.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACR is not a "Tuner" car... You should read more and pay attention to details.
That's pretty funny, you telling me to read more and pay attention. And, I don't really care about your definition/semantics of "tuner car", which is why I specifically used the phrase "factory tuner car" which is to say that the development that went into the ACR was very specialized and focused in order to get a good track result, and the car pretty much represents the latest in technological development. The Club Sport, which is based on 4 year old model technology only requires mild chassis mods and the "extremely radical" engine mods of CAI and headers to tie the ACR.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

... The Club Sport, which is based on 4 year old model technology only requires mild chassis mods and the "extremely radical" engine mods of CAI and headers to tie the ACR.

Get notified of new replies

To Club Sport Z06 Modified Luxery Exotic mag

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

That's pretty funny, you telling me to read more and pay attention. And, I don't really care about your definition/semantics of "tuner car", which is why I specifically used the phrase "factory tuner car" which is to say that the development that went into the ACR was very specialized and focused in order to get a good track result, and the car pretty much represents the latest in technological development. The Club Sport, which is based on 4 year old model technology only requires mild chassis mods and the "extremely radical" engine mods of CAI and headers to tie the ACR.
Ugh. You might find it interesting that I also defend the Corvette over on Viper sites, whenever I see misinformation being posted about them. There are clueless people on both sites. It isn't about being defensive, it is about sharing the actual information instead of biased nonsense.

The ACR is based on a 2003 SRT chassis. That makes it 2 years older than the C6 chassis. Not sure what "latest in technological development" you are talking about. It still uses the same upper/lower A-arms that have been on these cars since 2003, same frame, etc... Do you know what exactly separates the ACR from the base Viper?

-lighter 2-piece brake rotors. Common stuff, people have been installing them on cars for years now. I even have a similar set on my own non-ACR Viper.

-OEM forged wheels that were robbed from the 2005 Viper parts bin. New tech there right? Michelin DOT tires. Stuff anyone can purchase.

-Adjustable KW shocks. Again, parts that have been around for Vipers for years now. Woo hoo, shocks sure are technological breakthrough parts!

-Stiffer coil springs. Yes, they still look like...springs.

-Rear wing and front splitter. High tech stuff there, never seen wings used before.

-That is it, nothing else! Same body panels, same engine, same tranny, same gearing, axles, electronics, A/C *****, headlights etc... as the base Viper.

Again, you are full of misinformation. Now, you can continue to prove your lack of knowledge on BOTH cars in question, or you can just quit making lame excuses for either car. I guarantee I can trump you on the technical details of each car, listing pros and cons of each.

What excuses will you toss out next? Fuel economy? Ricer HP/Liter math? Insurance rates? Cupholder count?

Come on, just admit when you are wrong and move on. I will, if you can prove it.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

Well I guess any Vette other than a base Vette is a factory Tuner car also. That makes this car a factory tuned tuner lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

That CAI and headers on the LS7 in the Club Sport means it is more "modified" than the ACR engine.

Not trying to start anything, just correcting you...

The Club Sport does not come with headers on it. They run the stock manifolds and the stock cats. The only thing in the exhaust that is changed is the cat-back system.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Club Sport Z06 Modified Luxery Exotic mag