Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 2010 corvette changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
TEP061
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 corvette changes

I'm wondering if anyone has any of the updates that are going to happen on the 2010 corvette? I see a lot of chatter on other sights. I'm curious what you guys know?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:54 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM says there may be something new. Maybe an auto ZO6.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
Or Bankruptcy..............................
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 AM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Let's hope so. I know a lot of guys like me are waiting for an auto Z06 or better yet, an auto ZR1.

I read somewhere they did test a ZR1 with an auto so maybe they will build one.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

New for 2010:

No production, check pulse for signs of life, plug in your volt and try to find a surviving dealer for service.

That said, I hope none of it happens and I picked up my new ZR1 today. Was really hoping I made it before the dealer closed or GM went broke. Everyone in the business is really nervous. The front page of Automotive News was depressing as was the rest of it. Dealers with domestic franchises are being valued at or close to zero. Very scary. Dealers nationwide have a 200 days supply of almost every car line. NADA says it should be somewhere around 30-45 days?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
C5 LS7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto Z06????? WHY. As for GM, maybe it would be best for GM and the rest of the US auto makers to go out of business, its the only way the US auto makers will ever get out of the insane labor contracts they have with the UAW, THAT is why are cars suck!!! no business could possibly compete with Japan or Europe with the kind of labor costs we have here, ever here of the rubber room??
Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

2010 ? these guys are bleeding now, they'll be lucky if they are still breathing in 2010, of course, a paddle shiftter, and a nice steering wheel will be nice .
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

A dual clutch tranny would be nice...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:22 AM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its on hold... id think till '11 anyway.. sell the vettes they have on the lot first! they are backed up.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 LS7
Auto Z06????? WHY. As for GM, maybe it would be best for GM and the rest of the US auto makers to go out of business, its the only way the US auto makers will ever get out of the insane labor contracts they have with the UAW, THAT is why are cars suck!!! no business could possibly compete with Japan or Europe with the kind of labor costs we have here, ever here of the rubber room??
I'm not going to claim expertise on most of your post, but saying our cars 'suck'? I just don't see it.... At least for the majority of US cars/SUV/trucks offered.... Maybe I'm crazy, but I think there are a LOT of quality American vehicles. ESPECIALLY considering the 'real' out-the-door price + engine power + cheaper repair costs/maintenance. Typically people compare foreign cars that cost 5-10 G's more. For example, a $26,000 Honda Accord V6 vs. an $18,000 (after all the discounts) US V6 sedan. This is not fair, but is commonly done because the MSRP's might be close. BUT, what you really pay is soooooo different. This is something the US MFG's must change. 'PRICE' THE CARS CLOSE TO THE 'PRICE' THEY WILL REALLY SELL AT!!!! Every year you see Caddies discounted 10 grand!!! Along with all the other usual suspects. Then in the magazines they compare them against BMW's/Honda's/Toyota's that are 'rarely' discounted. It is not representative of the real world, at least price wise. I'll take a decent 'after discounts' $18,000 V6 US sedan over a Honda Civic any day of the week. This is not to imply foreign cars are junk, merely 'real' dollar for dollar US cars are something value shoppers should consider.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 11-25-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default %wise

Originally Posted by C5 LS7
The union costs represent only 7% of the GM vehicle cost according to the union...
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
I'm not going to claim expertise on most of your post, but saying our cars 'suck'? I just don't see it.... At least for the majority of US cars/SUV/trucks offered.... Maybe I'm crazy, but I think there are a LOT of quality American vehicles. ESPECIALLY considering the 'real' out-the-door price + engine power + cheaper repair costs/maintenance. Typically people compare foreign cars that cost 5-10 G's more. For example, a $26,000 Honda Accord V6 vs. an $18,000 (after all the discounts) US V6 sedan. This is not fair, but is commonly done because the MSRP's might be close. BUT, what you really pay is soooooo different. This is something the US MFG's must change. 'PRICE' THE CARS CLOSE TO THE 'PRICE' THEY WILL REALLY SELL AT!!!! Every year you see Caddies discounted 10 grand!!! Along with all the other usual suspects. Then in the magazines they compare them against BMW's/Honda's/Toyota's that are 'rarely' discounted. It is not representative of the real world, at least price wise. I'll take a decent 'after discounts' $18,000 V6 US sedan over a Honda Civic any day of the week. This is not to imply foreign cars are junk, merely 'real' dollar for dollar US cars are something value shoppers should consider.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM
IceDragon
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -vet
The union costs represent only 7% of the GM vehicle cost according to the union...
Yeah, according to the "UNION". According to a recent poll labor unions are thought to be about as trustworthy/ethical as lawyers (meaning very low). I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to believe them at this point, as they everything to gain by lying.

Rich
Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IceDragon
Yeah, according to the "UNION". According to a recent poll labor unions are thought to be about as trustworthy/ethical as lawyers (meaning very low). I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to believe them at this point, as they everything to gain by lying.

Rich
I heard that union labor is $25/hr higher than the competitors. If a Corvette takes 160 man hours to build, that's $4,000 added on to the car right there and that's on the manufacturers COST level. by the time that hits the dealer and the dealer hits retail, make that an $8,000 premium, even after discounts.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM
motoGPguy
Racer

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
A dual clutch tranny would be nice...

DSG and AWD as OPTIONS would make the Corvette the best sports car in the WORLD....period.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
I heard that union labor is $25/hr higher than the competitors. If a Corvette takes 160 man hours to build, that's $4,000 added on to the car right there and that's on the manufacturers COST level. by the time that hits the dealer and the dealer hits retail, make that an $8,000 premium, even after discounts.
What I find EXTREMELY ironic is people talking about a union assembly line worker that ACTUALLY averages $28 an hour, and we have the CEO that pulls down 15.7 million in 2007 (huge bonuses) & many other big whigs not far behind. Private jet anyone? ESPECIALLY when the company's Profit/Loss looks PATHETIC! Let's call a spade a spade. If someone can dispute this information below, I'm all ears.

1.) The Return of the $70 Per Hour Meme
You might expect it from right-leaning commentators like Will Wilkinson. You wouldn't expect it from someone like Mark Perry, who lives in Flint, Michigan. And you certainly wouldn't expect to see it in the New York Times, from the likes of Andrew Ross Sorkin. But all of them are perpetuating the meme that the average GM worker costs more than $70 an hour, once you include health and pension costs.

It's not true.

The average GM assembly-line worker makes about $28 per hour in wages, and I can assure you that GM is not paying $42 an hour in health insurance and pension plan contributions. Rather, the $70 per hour figure (or $73 an hour, or whatever) is a ridiculous number obtained by adding up GM's total labor, health, and pension costs, and then dividing by the total number of hours worked. In other words, it includes all the healthcare and retirement costs of retired workers.

Now that GM's healthcare obligations are being moved to a UAW-run trust, even that fictitious number is going to fall sharply. But anybody who uses it as a rhetorical device suggesting that US car companies are run inefficiently is being disingenuous. As of 2007, the UAW represented 180,681 members at Chrysler, Ford and General Motors; it also represented 419,621 retired members and 120,723 surviving spouses. If you take the costs associated with 721,025 individuals and then divide those costs by the hours worked by 180,681 individuals, you're going to end up with a very large hourly rate. But it won't mean anything, unless you're trying to be deceptive.

2.) DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Chief Executive Rick Wagoner's salary and other compensation rose 64 percent in 2007 to about $15.7 million, mainly due to option grants, according to a proxy filed on Friday.

The GM compensation committee cited significant progress over the past few years in reducing the automaker's health care cost burden, increasing growth internationally and improvements in its cars and trucks in the 2007 awards to executives.

Wagoner's compensation rose from about $9.57 million in 2006. The figure was arrived at based on Wagoner's salary, all other compensation and the basis of annual grants.

GM paid Wagoner a salary of $1.6 million in 2007, along with $1.8 million in non-equity incentive compensation and nearly $700,000 for other compensation that includes insurance benefits, security, aircraft expenses and other factors.

GM, which reported a record $39 billion net loss in 2007, released the figures in a proxy statement on Friday afternoon that was filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The automaker, which has been restructuring, reached a contract in 2007 with the United Auto Workers that has permitted buyouts for its UAW hourly workers, a second-tier wage for new hires and a plan that will push billions of health care obligations into a union-aligned trust.

Wagoner had accepted a reduced base salary in 2006 and 2007 and only about 16 percent of his compensation is guaranteed. In March, GM granted Wagoner a raise to $2.2 million per year, restoring his salary to 2006 levels.

Fritz Henderson, who was promoted to president and chief operating officer in March, received compensation of about $9.3 million in 2007, up from about $5.1 million in 2006.

Henderson's salary was raised to $1.8 million from $1.3 million in March with his appointment as president and COO, the No. 2 position to Wagoner.

Vice Chairman Bob Lutz's compensation rose to about $9 million in 2007, from about $5.1 million in 2006. The product chief's salary was raised to $1.75 million, from $1.3 million.

The issue of executive compensation in the struggling U.S. auto industry has become something of a hot-button issue because of the United Auto Workers union.

A report earlier in April that Ford Motor Co (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Chief Executive Alan Mulally had earned more than $22 million in 2007, drew a sharp rebuke from the UAW as excessive, given concessions UAW members had agreed to in the 2007 contract.

Ford, which posted a $2.7 billion loss in 2007, reported a first quarter profit on Thursday that surprised analysts.

GM and other major automakers have been hit by a slowing in the U.S. economy and rising fuel costs that have driven a major shift in consumer preferences toward cars and crossovers and away from large sport-utility vehicles and pickup trucks.

GM also said E. Neville Isdell, chairman and CEO of Coca-Cola Co (KO.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), has been nominated to GM's board. He would join the board August 6 if elected at GM's annual meeting in Delaware on June 3.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 11-25-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Hot Z06
Pro

Have not heard a thing about anything new on Corvette's for 2010

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 corvette changes

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
New for 2010:

No production, check pulse for signs of life, plug in your volt and try to find a surviving dealer for service.

That said, I hope none of it happens and I picked up my new ZR1 today. Was really hoping I made it before the dealer closed or GM went broke. Everyone in the business is really nervous. The front page of Automotive News was depressing as was the rest of it. Dealers with domestic franchises are being valued at or close to zero. Very scary. Dealers nationwide have a 200 days supply of almost every car line. NADA says it should be somewhere around 30-45 days?
CONGRATS ON THE ZR1

What color???

Need Pics
Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Heber Guy
Advanced

onerareviper
Thanks for the excellent info.
I thought the unions were getting a bum rap after all the
negotiations that went on last year.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
It's not true.

The average GM assembly-line worker makes about $28 per hour in wages, and I can assure you that GM is not paying $42 an hour in health insurance and pension plan contributions. Rather, the $70 per hour figure (or $73 an hour, or whatever) is a ridiculous number obtained by adding up GM's total labor, health, and pension costs, and then dividing by the total number of hours worked. In other words, it includes all the healthcare and retirement costs of retired workers.
This is probably correct. I don't know for sure as I'm not privy to that information. I DO know that those add-ons are SIGNIFICANT. However, does it really make any difference? The legacy costs are still legacy costs that the competitors don't have. It doesn't matter that they added it to the bottom line of the union workers as opposed to making a new column for it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 2010 corvette changes