Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HELP! Keep me from buying a new viper coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Get the Viper! Fantastic car, sounds like you want to be seen driving it around and not on the track, nothing wrong with that, there are waxers, racers, and everything in between. The Viper will get lots more attention, that can be a very bad thing. I may add a Viper to the garage in the near future, but it'll never replace the Z06. Orange/Black is an awesome color, and there's no denying 600/600. It will require more attention driving, even if just on the streets.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Viper is very uncomfortable. If you want to take it on a weekend trip with your wife every once in awhile, the Corvette is the car you want. I have a modded '08 Z that has 540 RWHP and it's still more streetable than my Viper was.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 55
Just located an 08 Viper coupe, new, orange with black stripes for 76K. I am about to pull the trigger. I have been a chevy guy for years. Talk me out of this moment of tempory insanity. It even matches my garage interior............ Thanks. Spook.
I have both and I say buy the Viper! They won't be making any more Vipers after this year and at that price you can't go wrong, it is an awesome car just not a daily driver a little bit hard core but thats what I like about it. They will be making Z06's for years and they make way more of them so they will only be getting cheaper and you will be able to get a good deal anytime you want. They quit making Ford GT's and the prices went up, I don't know if the same will happen with the Viper but it is the highest horsepower naturally aspirated car ever made in America and they only made about 2000 a year at their peak.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
ThrustNH
Cruising

I am amazed at the misleading comments about the Viper here. The most annoying is that every Viper comment does not include what model year Viper or if it was stock or modified that the "expert" is referring to. There are now 4 generations of Viper. Each has dramatic improvements over the last. To compare new C6 Corvettes to Vipers, you have to compare "NEW" Vipers. Not last gen or two generations old Vipers. Now that we have that cleared up, I took the leap after 3 Z06's to an 08 Viper this year. All the negative crap in this thread about the Viper does not apply to the latest generation Viper (that's Model Year 2008 & 2009). The new Viper is comfortable and has good ride quality (not one complaint from me or my wife after a 1900 mile round trip to Detroit with the top down). The handling is great and it is not hard to drive at all. It takes some getting use to but after that, it is just plain thrilling to drive. The hardest thing to get use to for me was the pedal position. The idle sound does suck next to a Corvette V8, but once the rpms climb it has an exotic sound. The cabin heat is no worse than a C6 Corvette (maybe even a bit less).
The Viper seats hug you like a high performance car should. A friend with a C6 Z06 thinks my Viper (a roadster) is easier to get in and out of than his Vette. The reason is that the Viper's high seat side bolsters and high rocker panel serve as thigh support when you are trying to get up out of the seat. To him, the Vette seats are flat and offer little support. My opinion is that it is a like getting in and out of a late 80's C4.
The build quality far superior to a Z06 or ZR1 (sorry if the truth hurts).
The paint quality being the most obvious difference.
The weight of the Gen4 Viper is pretty much the same as a ZR1.
The Viper engine compartment is a work of art and everything is functional without being goofy (aka ZR-1 hood window). The Vette is a better daily driver because of the extra gadgets and it draws no attention. Driving the Viper is like being a movie star wherever you go (we get photographed every time we are out on the road).
Vette values are tanking so I think a Z06 is a better value right now. But if you can afford it, the Viper is worth the extra $$$. You wil not be dissppointed. Don't be drawn to a low priced 2006 Viper as it has none of the many Gen4 upgrades. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Do NOT buy a Viper without test driving it......find one somewhere that will allow you to drive it. I bought a leftover 06 Viper coupe back in Feb. sight unseen....but I'd owned Vipers previously,so I knew the drill.

It's a completely different driving experience than a Corvette....not better or worse,just different. I loved mine,but no way I could use it on a daily basis.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

The 08 Vipers are AWESOME cars. If this is going to be your daily, Id think about it twice. If its a fun car, Id pick it over a Z06 very easily.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Rippin C6!
Instructor

Default Get the Viper...

The 2008 Viper is a fantastic car. It is a big improvement over my 06 Viper Coupe. I have an 09 ACR on order and can not wait for it to arrive.

Being "snakebit" is not about ending up in a ditch. It is about connecting with the raw aspects of the car. It is very different than any C6 you have driven. But....if you make a bad decision (or stupid decision) driving the Viper, you will see the results instantly...there are no nannies there to protect you. That is why there are no cup holders in the car...you have to "drive" it every mile.

With that said, I have never gotten out of one of my Vipers without a smile on my face.

I think the Viper is one of the cars that every car enthusiasts should own at some point in their lives (that list includes a Vette too!). It is just a great experience.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
Yes - I have driven one - very fast in a straight line after that there out of control - there heavy and won't turn without many mods to the suspension - they are also very uncomfortable - but hay it's your money - ENJOY it on what ever you like!
You must not have driven an 08.

Its faster than the Z06 in a straight line or around a track. It has better steering response and much nicer seats.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure where you live but here in Los Angels you can rent one for a day or two, sure its a little pricey, but if your gonna dump that much cash I consider it a necessity.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
540 55
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Well guys the deed is done. I offered the dealer 75K out the door and he took it! It will be transported on Monday. Thanks to all for the advice and opinions. I must admit this is the first car that I am excited about in a LONG time. Still a chevy guy at heart, but one must expand one's boundarys in life. Thanks again and if I ever learn how to post pictures I will do so. Spook.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
fullmonty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, enjoy, enjoy and enjoy. post some photos
Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The viper is a bad boy to say the least. I wish a 08/09 could be had in my price range. But being a Chevy man I'd get a ZR1. Looking forward to pics. What color did you end up with..............Joe
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Buy a Z06, then buy the seats out of the viper.........and install them in your Z06.

Perfect car.

Oh and if you're really board and want to make up the difference in prince..........you can supercharge your Z06.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 PM
540 55
Racer

Little late for that: orange and black coupe transports on Monday. Spook
Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Just read up on the thread

Congrats on the purchase.

The Viper is Badass.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have the $$$, get both, if not the Z06 is clearly a better choice. I've test driven both, and the viper is a crude brute monster in comparison to the 'vette. I've driven the viper at an SRT track experience on track and on a wet skidpad - the Z is clearly easier to control and quicker too.

Edit: Just read that you bought the SRT-10. Props - I'm no hater. But if you ever have time, do test a Z out, and maybe you'll get both. I'm close to both - I've got the Z, and a dodge ram srt-10 with the viper motor. It's definitely a good motor, except it weighs a TON. The new engine, with more power, isn't any different on weighing a lot.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by 540 55
Well guys the deed is done. I offered the dealer 75K out the door and he took it! It will be transported on Monday. Thanks to all for the advice and opinions. I must admit this is the first car that I am excited about in a LONG time. Still a chevy guy at heart, but one must expand one's boundarys in life. Thanks again and if I ever learn how to post pictures I will do so. Spook.
Congrats man, well done

Its a helluva car and if the price was lower back when I bought my Z I would have done it to!

I dont know how much experience you have with light-weight cars but remember to be VERY CAREFUL. The tail will slide out and you wont even know it - till you spin out.

Take the car out and mess with it in a safe environment so you can figure out how it behaves. The nannies have saved me from wiping out once or twice - and in the viper I'm sure I would have ended up in the grass or worse!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Keep me from buying a new viper coupe!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Oh, and post pictures when you get it!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,738 Likes on 876 Posts

I've seen that orange and it looks a little,dare I say, "peachy".Much different than Atomic orange.Like the black stripes though.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
540 55
Racer

Maybe it will match my "peachy" disposition....Or not. Thanks for the replies guys. Spook

Quick Reply: [Z06] HELP! Keep me from buying a new viper coupe!