Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Zr1 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
red vette nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zr1 problems

Picked up my ZR1 (JSB) on Tuesday afternnon. Drove 8 miles and the check
traction control and antilock brake message came on.
Drove back to the dealer really pissed. Th left rear module controlling the traction control and antilock shorted out! Naturaaly they don't have the part and were having trouble getting one.
It went up to the GM higher ups who were worried that this may be a recall item. They took the part off a car being built and shipped it today.
HOPEFULLY I will have it.
I asked the dealership to ask Gm to give me something for my aggravation. Don't know if that will happen.
Just letting other ZR1 owners know about this potential problem.

On another subject did anyone see the review in Car and Driver?
I thought it was pretty crappy not only to the ZR1 but also the Z0-6.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
ammoman
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The same thing happened to mine.
1 week later the part came in and they fixed it.
Also it had a monster pull to the left that they seem to have fixed.
Eric
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by red vette nut
Drove back to the dealer really pissed. Th left rear module controlling the traction control and antilock shorted out! Naturaaly they don't have the part and were having trouble getting one.
It went up to the GM higher ups who were worried that this may be a recall item. They took the part off a car being built and shipped it today.
I asked the dealership to ask Gm to give me something for my aggravation. Don't know if that will happen.

The least they could do is make it up to you in some way. I mean you just spent 100+ K on a car to drive it a few miles and bring it back for simple stuff that should not go wrong with a 100K+ car.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This is why 2nd year production on any new car may be a better choice hoping they worked some of the bugs out.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
This is why 2nd year production on any new car may be a better choice hoping they worked some of the bugs out.
+1
Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by red vette nut

Yes..Crappy is right..Today I got the December 08 issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine..Page 84 "ZR1 Floored"..Testing showed the exact same et times to 60MPH, and 1/4 mile as the Z06 Plus, they could not get the car past 200MPH
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
If there is a 2nd year of the ZR1
Old 10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hot Z06
If there is a 2nd year of the ZR1
Good question Let's all hope so
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vietnam Vette
Good question Let's all hope so
Of course there will be - GM's not gonna waste all that development money on a car that's actually profitable.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Yes..Crappy is right..Today I got the December 08 issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine..Page 84 "ZR1 Floored"..Testing showed the exact same et times to 60MPH, and 1/4 mile as the Z06 Plus, they could not get the car past 200MPH
If you read the entire article you'd have seen that they were limited in the available distance to get the ZR1 up to top speed.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADGTM
The least they could do is make it up to you in some way. I mean you just spent 100+ K on a car to drive it a few miles and bring it back for simple stuff that should not go wrong with a 100K+ car.
The price of a car has nothing to do with the quality control at the factory, or with a faulty part. My 740i was at the dealer 3 months out of the 6 month I owned it for quality control issues. Anything first year is going to have issues, regardless of who the manufacturer is.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteship
The price of a car has nothing to do with the quality control at the factory, or with a faulty part. My 740i was at the dealer 3 months out of the 6 month I owned it for quality control issues. Anything first year is going to have issues, regardless of who the manufacturer is.
I understand that. They'll have issues the second year as well. Infact I would venture to guess that there are TSB and Recalls on almost all makes and models of vehicles for almost every year. It still dont change the fact that he paied 100 + K for the car and he didnt even get it home before problems set in. maybe the General and other car Manufacturers need to spend more money in thier quality control or as I know it Quality Assurance department's LOL. I don't know... All I'm saying is they need to comp. him in some sort of way, shape or form. Maybe I'm looking at it as you get what you pay for. Not knocking anything or anyone I'm sure they'll get it fixed for him and everything will be ok.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gm cheapies

maybe they'll offer you a stock discount ...j
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Automobile Magazing ratede my last car at 144 MPH. I wont say exactly what It is I do but for my own protection and the protection of my Friend I'll say, I have a friend who has access to a Radar Gun naturally, we used the radar gun for our own enjoyment. I had my friend sit somewhere along the interstate and clock me. When I went by him I was moving at 158 MPH. The RPM's were not climbing any higher and stayed at a 6k in 5th gear. so It's safe to say it was toped out. I'm sure the ZR1 will do over 200 MPH.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 1996 Porsche Turbo was one of the first in the country and had absolutely no repair issues for the first 60K miles, at 116K miles now I've had exactly 3 legitimate failures, none of which stranded me. I'd love a new ZR1, but am afraid I'd be suicidal if I bought something new and expensive and didn't replicate this reliability.
Originally Posted by vetteship
Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

the zr1 is just like all corvettes..it will have issues...i have seen many corvettes in my career with dealerships that broke or stranded the owner on their first drive/day of ownership...nothing new under the sun here...

just because it's well over 100k doesn't mean its any better than any other gm product....

sorry about your problem..i know it sucks ...

your not the first and won't be the last to have something like this happen...
Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Erix
Pro

So I have to ask, did someone make either of you a promise that the car would never have any kind of isssue or warranty concern. And did they put something n your contract that if it ever did they must offer you some kind of compensation?

How is that any different than any other mass produced GM vehicle. Does a LTZ Tahoe that cost 20K over the base Tahoe come with more coverage or guarentees if is it simply more expensive because it has more doo dads bolted to it?

A ZR1 is simple a vette with different things bolted to it. Its a mass produced vehicle with the same coverage as any other GM vehicle.

If you have unrealistic expectations then you will continually be disappointed.

Sounds like they are doing everything they can and the factory is jumping in. That is fantastic. Take satisfaction they are standing behind it and enjoy it once its back on the road.

Last edited by Erix; 11-01-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 problems

Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pbadad
maybe they'll offer you a stock discount ...j
Ha, ha, ha Consider it done!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 PM
martyd59
1st Gear

Default 2010 zr1 14 k miles

i have a problem with the check fluid level text comming on all the time off and on. when its on you cant change program for wet track dry track sport race..! no error messages? they dont seem to know if there is a sensor in the coolant bottle or radiator? where is it? the chev service tech only reset the cpu he said by removing the battery terminal and re attaching it? iam going back for service once again. the 2nd time. also the steering isnt tight ? vibration noticed in wheel up and down slighty, when driving over 60 mph. doesnt seem right.

Last edited by martyd59; 05-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by martyd59
i have a problem with the check fluid level text comming on all the time off and on. when its on you cant change program for wet track dry track sport race..! no error messages? they dont seem to know if there is a sensor in the coolant bottle or radiator? where is it? the chev service tech only reset the cpu he said by removing the battery terminal and re attaching it? iam going back for service once again. the 2nd time. also the steering isnt tight ? vibration noticed in wheel up and down slighty, when driving over 60 mph. doesnt seem right.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Instead of resurrecting a three year old thread, just start a new one.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Zr1 problems