Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TFAST4U
UPDATE: 10-21-2008 12pm PST

Update from GM HQ:

I recived a call from GM HQ stating that the Service manager with the dealer may not meet my dead line for Wednesday as he feels that he is unable to get a GM off sight tech in to look at the motor, and than goes on to say to the GM HQ rep that the motor must be fine........... " it now turns over " , the dealer is now offing compinsation if I chose, like another warrente.

At this point I have made it clear to the GM HQ rep. that my mind is made up. Wednesday is my dead line, and I want a new Motor, oil tank, oil lines, and oil cooler. Even the Top Motor builders here on this forum state the motor is Junk............

Thank you GM HQ for your help in this matter.

I will take no less!

Chris
the "top motor builders" havent looked at the car....only the oil changer can tell what happened when they did this or that.you are in the drivers seat [no pun] now as far as getting a lifetime warrante or something to that effect. imo i wouldnt stand iron fast ..make a deal
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Update from GM HQ:

I recived a call from GM HQ stating that the Service manager with the dealer may not meet my dead line for Wednesday as he feels that he is unable to get a GM off sight tech in to look at the motor, and than goes on to say to the GM HQ rep that the motor must be fine........... " it now turns over " , the dealer is now offing compinsation if I chose, like another warrente.

Chris

It turns over, but does it run? What did they do to it?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Xwet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to go off subject, but does anyone who changes their own oil pre-fill their oil filter prior to installing the oil filter.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Xwet
Not to go off subject, but does anyone who changes their own oil pre-fill their oil filter prior to installing the oil filter.
i have for years
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Update from GM HQ:

At this point I have made it clear to the GM HQ rep. that my mind is made up. Wednesday is my dead line, and I want a new Motor, oil tank, oil lines, and oil cooler. Even the Top Motor builders here on this forum state the motor is Junk............

I will take no less!

Chris

Have them bring in thier personal lawn mower. Put about 10 quarts of oil in it. Pull the handle like crazy until the mower starts. Then wait until it locks up. Then drain the oil and pull the spark plug. Pull some more and get the extra oil out of the combustion chamber. Fill back up to the full mark. Fire it up and hand it back to them. It's "fine" tell them. Now add about 65k to the price of that lawn mower.

Randy
Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Yes-every time.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Have them bring in thier personal lawn mower. Put about 10 quarts of oil in it. Pull the handle like crazy until the mower starts. Then wait until it locks up. Then drain the oil and pull the spark plug. Pull some more and get the extra oil out of the combustion chamber. Fill back up to the full mark. Fire it up and hand it back to them. It's "fine" tell them. Now add about 65k to the price of that lawn mower.

Randy
i doubt it would lock up more likely blow out the breather or past a crank shaft seal or blow off a plastic dip stick. you havent looked at the car sir nor i but to say its junk is at the very least premature.maybe your experienced in small engines
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The place I have my oil changed does this.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
i doubt it would lock up more likely blow out the breather or past a crank shaft seal or blow off a plastic dip stick. you havent looked at the car sir nor i but to say its junk is at the very least premature.maybe your experienced in small engines
I am experienced in small gas engines. I even have my Briggs and scrap-iron official rebuilder card somewhere. They gave it to me after passing a couple stupid test and building one on the bench. My kohler engined JD is getting the full treatment this winter, I got the new cam a week ago

To get the full inspection of the engine and it's parts. The guys would have to pull it down and start measuring. Which would mean 10times the time it would take to reinstall a new engine. Crankshafts are super strong, but lay one down on a bench sideways will put a bend in it. The amount of damage is unknown and will never be known. Engines and the rotation of parts need to flow well. Any stoppage in there is very hard on them. Maybe not right now but how about 10k miles, or 20k a rod bearing gets knocked out. Sure they want to add to his warrenty. But if he installs a computer tune, headers, or airbox, camshaft, then SOL. Customer brought a prefect running LS7, leaves with a LS7 that became a oil tanker for a unknown amount of time, would be junk in my eyes.

Good luck again.

Randy
Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Why don't you try it and report back here.

P.S. I doubt the lawn mower has the same crankcase ventilation as the LS7
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Update from GM HQ:

I will take no less!

Chris
Just a question, but why the new oil lines, tank and cooler? That seems to expect all that since it would be impossible for those components to become damaged during whatever happened.

You may be "Vette-less" if not willing to budge over this one. All they are required to do is make the car like it was before the tech boned it. I wonder what he thinks about the deadline since the ball is in their court.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but being rational may make things move along faster.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have for years
Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Yes-every time.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

I picked up a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic motorcycle that was at least 2 qt. overfilled. The engine has a dry sump oil system. The access oil ended up in the air filter which has an overflow design. Only oil vapor got sucked into the motor. The liquid oil simply drained out of the air filter housing.

I cleaned up the oil spill, drained the oil, put the right amount of oil in it and all is fine.

Not sure what would have happened if it was overfilled by more than 2 qt. At some point it would have hydrolocked, too.

Did I mention that thing got some monster torque?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are lucky that motor is going to start and sound like it's about to self destruct..that will get you a replacement engine. But....if the motor starts and appears to sound normal and exhibits normal driveability with normal oil pressure then you are going to have a fight on your hands to get GM to replace the motor. I think that bill is in the $15k plus area for a new replacement GM Z06 installed. If the motor doesn't sound like it's about to grenade...at best, you'll walk away with an apology and maybe some extended warranty to mitigate your concerns IMHO.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by petefias
Why don't you try it and report back here.

P.S. I doubt the lawn mower has the same crankcase ventilation as the LS7
why dont you and the lawn mower repair man do it
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

why dont you and the lawn mower repair man do it
I suggested it because you made some claim to know something about it.

You said: "i doubt it would lock up more likely blow out the breather or past a crank shaft seal or blow off a plastic dip stick"

Besides, I already "tried" that experiment with the bike (see post above).

Last edited by petefias; 10-21-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

According to the OP, the engine ran, then hydrolocked. In this scenario, the engine is toast. No one needs to "look" at it.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

we dont know it ran/ do the lawn mower overfill with the lawnmower repair guy not on a z06 is what it means.we have very little facts and bringing in briggs/stratton ,*** crap mini bikes,jet boats only clouds the issue
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

sorry my bad on the mini bike comment sorry
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Jon,

The motor did fire. Hence the oil in the cylinders. I may have not metioned the motor " firing " I think through reason and deduction we all here have come to the " firing " conclusion................

I know 6 pages is alot to read. It's a good read, and yes I understand why you would post what you did, and I thank you for pointing this out. But again, there is oil in the cylinders because the motor did fire and filled the intake up with oil down into the motor and than hydrolocked. Remember the tech was working on my car for 2 hours and that included an oil change so I can not atest what happend when I was not back there for those 2 hours. All I can tell you is YES the service manager said YES your C6 Z06 motor is hydrolocked because the tech did not follow the right protocall to change the oil.

I hope this takes out any confusion in the 6 pages

Chris
Patton,

since you obviously missed this part I repeat it for you. Maybe this time you can see it.

I wish people would actually read AND comprehend a thread before they chime in with their stupidity!

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change