Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Hydro means water and doesn't really apply here.

So.. I'm inventing a new word.

Petrolocked.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Up here in the great white north we have a lot of hydro-electric production facilities.

So if electricity is produced by fossil fuels maybe we should call them petro-electric production facilities

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM
GotGIG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech

Petrolocked.
Sounds good to me.....
Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

One guy checked his oil when it was cold, no oil on dipstick. He added two quarts to the sump and the engine did hydrolock, or petrolock. The oil was forced from the sump to the TB and sucked into the cylinders. Spark plugs were removed to remove oil and compression check done. Engine was not damaged. And that was from over filling the dry sump.

It is possible that the "tech" came from another dealership and has never seen an LS7. I have my oil changed at a local dealership, maybe I will reconsider.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Petrolocked.
No it doesn't.

Hydraulic applies to any fluid, as in an oil-powered hydraulic cylinder, for example. Or a hydrostatic transmission?

You can hydraulically lock a piston with water, oil, gas. It doesn't matter.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Z0h6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lucky13
Can you send me the dealer name too? Thanks
Interested in the dealer name as well. I want to make sure to stay clear. I live in San Diego too but bought my car out of state. You wouldn't have a dealer recommendation for service would you?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they fuc*** up this bad, I think you should tell us where this happened.

I'm sorry - if you dont know a dry sump system when you see one - you don't need to be a tech. The worst part? The egotistical bastard was too full of himself to look it up in the manual.

I'm no auto pro and took me all of 2 minutes to understand how a dry sump system worked. Its just common sense!

GAH! Annoying...
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
No it doesn't.

Hydraulic applies to any fluid, as in an oil-powered hydraulic cylinder, for example. Or a hydrostatic transmission?

You can hydraulically lock a piston with water, oil, gas. It doesn't matter.
You're taking my joke too seriously.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

You're taking my joke too seriously.
I dunno'. When you said, "Hydro means water and doesn't really apply here." it didn't sound like a joke to me. And it seems that some others might now think that hydrolock only pertains to water.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TFAST4U
Frank,

Good to hear from you old friend! The dealer in Delray Beach FL is the best. But because I'm now in San Diego CA I have to now find a " great " dealer.

So How do I like San Diego? Well first off the folks that live here are so nice and laid back. That is a BIG plus comming from Delray beach and 90 year olds. The ladys are hot, and the weather is the best. Other than that I'm real happy about our move. At my age most would not just leave a state after 19 years and start over. To me it's the best move at this point in our life.

Chris
Glad to hear at least you are liking Cali. I hope the car isnt going to be a big ordeal, but looks like it might be. Keep me posted on how it goes.
Talk to you soon.
Frank
Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Any update? Have they done anything to the car since yesterday?

Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

This is an easy fix.
Have the dealer put everything back together, fill the oil tank with eight quarts of Mobil 1.
Then have the dealer tow the car to the crest of Palomar Mountain. You should be able to see about 80 mph coasting back down the mountain. Put it 3rd get, let the clutch out and bump start it. That will either free it up or put a rod through the block. Then you would get you new engine.
Good luck with GM, Chevy and your local dealer and it's master technician service dept.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
TFAST4U
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE 10-17-08 Friday 12:56 PST

Thank you all for your kind words and input.

GM HQ called me back today and has now put my case file in to Bigger hands per say. I requested this today. It's good to stand on BIG shoulders and to know the right folks. Thanks GM for helping me out. Just so you all know this is NOT covered under warrentee as it is NOT a problem with the car failing. It is the dealer that will have to replace the motor under what ever means thay need. So again. GM HQ is following along with a close eye to see what the dealer intends to do. So that is the update with GM. To my friends at GM. Thank you for taking my call today!!

Update on the dealer:

I want to make this clear that at this point I will not disclose the name of the dealer. Unless I feel the need to do so and I hope most of you can understand. I need to give the Service manager and Owners the oppertunity to do the right thing and replace my motor with a new 2008 C6 Z06 motor.

So with that said this is what the Service manager and I talked about. Pertaining to the C6 Z06 Hydrolocked motor. The SM said YES the tech did NOT follow the right way to change oil on a C6 Z06. YES the motor did in fact Hydrolock. YES the tech made this happen. YES all the spark plugs have been pulled. YES there was oil in ALL the cylenders, confirming again the motor was infact Hydrolocked.

We talked about alot of things. The SM is one hell of a stand up guy. But the fact of the matter as I agreed with him is the tech locked my motor up, no questions there. It is what it is.

So in closing:

I said to the SM vary nicely, the dealer has untill Wednesday October 22, 2008. At this time thay will come to a conclution on what thay will do on there end. The SM knows with conviction I WILL NOT TAKE MY CAR BACK UNLESS THE MOTOR IS REPLACED WITH A 2008 C6 Z06 MOTOR.

Again, the service manager and I talked about alot of things. Both the Srvice Manager and the Service Write are both stand up guys. Really. I like them both. But what happed to the love of my life ( my C6 Z06 ) is just uncalled for and I hold no accountability to The Service Manager or the Service Writer. The Tech created this and we will leave it at that.

I will keep you all up to date and Please again understand my disposition with with holding the dealers name.

Thank you

Chris - the guy with a hydrolocked C6 Z06 Motor

Last edited by TFAST4U; 10-17-2008 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DANS-C6Z (06-04-2016)
Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
If they fuc*** up this bad, I think you should tell us where this happened.

I'm sorry - if you dont know a dry sump system when you see one - you don't need to be a tech. The worst part? The egotistical bastard was too full of himself to look it up in the manual.

I'm no auto pro and took me all of 2 minutes to understand how a dry sump system worked. Its just common sense!

GAH! Annoying...
I just changed my oil for the first time on my Z - read as much material about the system as I could before doing it - also asked questions on the forum - it is very easy and took about 1 hour - counting preping the car on ramps and jacking the *** end up level. It's really to bad these things happen over such a simple procedure
Since the dealer was in San Diego was the Master Mech's name Jose?
Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z0h6
Interested in the dealer name as well. I want to make sure to stay clear. I live in San Diego too but bought my car out of state. You wouldn't have a dealer recommendation for service would you?
I am out in Poway and had taken my C6 to Poway Chevrolet. The shop manager was a Corvette nut so they actually took pristine care of my car.

However, this was some time back. I dont believe the same guys are there so I've not taken the Z over there (do all my own stuff). They also filed for Chapter 11 two weeks ago...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Z0h6
Advanced

Originally Posted by TFAST4U
UPDATE 10-17-08 Friday 12:56 PST

Thank you all for your kind words and input.

GM HQ called me back today and has now put my case file in to Bigger hands per say. I requested this today. It's good to stand on BIG shoulders and to know the right folks. Thanks GM for helping me out. Just so you all know this is NOT covered under warrentee as it is NOT a problem with the car failing. It is the dealer that will have to replace the motor under what ever means thay need. So again. GM HQ is following along with a close eye to see what the dealer intends to do. So that is the update with GM. To my friends at GM. Thank you for taking my call today!!

Update on the dealer:

I want to make this clear that at this point I will not disclose the name of the dealer. Unless I feel the need to do so and I hope most of you can understand. I need to give the Service manager and Owners the oppertunity to do the right thing and replace my motor with a new 2008 C6 Z06 motor.

So with that said this is what the Service manager and I talked about. Pertaining to the C6 Z06 Hydrolocked motor. The SM said YES the tech did NOT follow the right way to change oil on a C6 Z06. YES the motor did in fact Hydrolock. YES the tech made this happen. YES all the spark plugs have been pulled. YES there was oil in ALL the cylenders, confirming again the motor was infact Hydrolocked.

We talked about alot of things. The SM is one hell of a stand up guy. But the fact of the matter as I agreed with him is the tech locked my motor up, no questions there. It is what it is.

So in closing:

I said to the SM vary nicely, the dealer has untill Wednesday October 22, 2008. At this time thay will come to a conclution on what thay will do on there end. The SM knows with conviction I WILL NOT TAKE MY CAR BACK UNLESS THE MOTOR IS REPLACED WITH A 2008 C6 Z06 MOTOR.

Again, the service manager and I talked about alot of things. Bother the Srvice Manager and the Service Write are both stand up guys. Really. I like them both. But what happed to the love of my life ( my C6 Z06 ) is just uncalled for and I hold no accountability to The Service Manager or the Service Writer. The Tech created this and we will leave it at that.

I will keep you all up to date and Please again understand my disposition with with holding the dealers name.

Thank you

Chris - the guy with a hydrolocked C6 Z06 Motor
I understand your predicament and wouldn't want to bad mouth them either since it seems like they're willing to work with you to resolve the situation and if they get wind of you talking negatively about them things could get difficult. Providing the name, however, would help others who "might" bring their beloved Z06's to an ill trained shop from suffering the same tragedy.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, if it hydrolocked from cranking it won't be damaged...the engine at least, not sure about the catalytic converter.

Drain all the oil, refill, crank without the plugs to get the oil out of the cylinders, replace the sealed valve cover plug after removing and inspecting the valve cover and restart.

If the engine runs and the compression checks out then insisting on a new engine may be a bit much, but an extended warranty from the dealer is definately in the cards.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0h6
I understand your predicament and wouldn't want to bad mouth them either since it seems like they're willing to work with you to resolve the situation and if they get wind of you talking negatively about them things could get difficult. Providing the name, however, would help others who "might" bring their beloved Z06's to an ill trained shop from suffering the same tragedy.
I am sure this dealer has instructed the grease monkeys, I can use that term because I used to be one, to read and understand the proper oil change procedure for the LS7. I would not judge the entire dealership by the actions of one guy, and remember these guys are not necessairly ASE Certified.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:36 PM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This is the first place I would now take my Z06 in for an oil change. You don't think these techs have been put through the ringer on training on how to change oil in a new Z06?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Z0h6
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedSSR
This is the first place I would now take my Z06 in for an oil change. You don't think these techs have been put through the ringer on training on how to change oil in a new Z06?
Ok, so agreed. They are all now trained on proper procedure for changing oil for an LS7. Still is useless if we don't know where this place is.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change