Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Abandon ship?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Holy thread resurrection!!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by breakskeet
Holy thread resurrection!!!!!
No kidding! I didn't realize I was responding to a post over a year old.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Neither did I, which is why I was shocked that anyone at this point would even be talking about paying over MSRP for one. Of course I thought the same thing a year ago and for that mater a couple years before that when folks paid over for a ZO6. Time marches on...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Doesn't look like ZR1 buyers in San Jose, CA are getting much of a break though. The dealership had a white ZR1 on the floor last week with an MSRP of $121,130 and a $50,000 "market area adjustment" to the total of $171,130 Their previous ZR1's "only" had a mark-up of $30k. I have no idea what the actual selling prices were. And yes, they are a major vette dealer in the area with about 31 new vettes in the lot and about 4 used vettes (nice assortment of base, CSR, GT1, Grand Sports and Z06's).
Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Xwet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
Hey all. I want to start off by asking everyone NOT TO TURN THIS THREAD INTO A FLAME WAR.

So, here goes...I put my deposit down on a ZR1 almost a year and a half ago now. I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the car with as much enthusiasm as anyone.

There are a couple of styling issues on the ZR1 that I could live without...I won't really get into it. Just minor nitpicky stuff that probably will grow on me, but I will admit it did decrease my level of excitement a bit.

Then I see these stock dyno numbers and stock 1/4 mile times coming out, and to be completely honest I was expecting more. You can say wait for more times to come out, but I will bet any of you a soda that not that many guys see under about 11.2. I hope I'm wrong, and you all bump this if I am. I can't believe that with almost 140 more hp than a Z06 the thing couldn't go 130 in the 1/4. I thought this thing was supposed to just beat the crap out of anything, but it doesn't look like this is going to be the case.

Then, the tuning shop gets one in and does headers, tuning, exhaust, etc, and the car fails to reach 600 rwhp. I'm wondering if the car isn't going to be like instant 700 rwhp with a few mods like everybody thought.

And then the final thing...I was checking out the 08 viper. I won't lie to you guys, I WAS DIGGIN' IT BIG TIME...and I really almost hate to admit this on here because I have never been a fan of the viper, and I usually laugh when someone makes fun of them on here. But I gotta say IMO the styling is A+.

So here it comes. All things considered I've decided that I'm not paying $1 over sticker for a ZR1, ever. Fourthermore, I'm actually considering canceling my ZR1 order entirely and getting a new viper. I'm just starting to think that I might be more satisfied overall with the viper.

I know you all can't tell me what car to buy, but am I losing my mind here? Am I jumping ship too early?

The ZR1 is over priced.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vietnam Vette
I don't know guys. It comes down to personal taste I guess. I driven a few Vipers and although they are impressive cars, they do not feel refined at all to me. Hot rod yes, DD no. Fun to drive absolutely!
I liken the Corvette to a Harley, years of development and improvement. I mean these cars just keep getting better! 55 years in development tends to do this for a vehicle. The Viper doesn't have this and unfortunately never will, and that's too bad.
" ... Harley, years of development and improvement." Ha ha. Surely you jest. The same basic engine made in the 1950s, doing good to break 80 HP?! Air cooling?! Separate engine and transmission?! Steel frame?! 750+ pounds?! State-of-the-art chrome plating though. The only similarity between a Corvette and a Harley are the length of production and both are made in the U.S. (mostly). The difference is that the Corvette has truly evolved into a sports car that is the equal of most while the Harley is basically 50 different versions of the same retro bike from the 1950s.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just couldn't let that by. Still laughing.

Last edited by slwhite; 10-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
paint-tech
Racer

Default My .02

I love the looks of the viper and the performance also great car! But with that said I can not get past the sound sounds like a bumble bee on steriods. Could not live with that, I test drove a few befor my C5 and they out perfomed my C5 but the soung is god awfull. With that said best of luck in your choice. Most of us are car guys and We love the performance and looks of many brands and models. I say anything built in the U.S.A. is a great choice.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ThrustNH
tome is dead wrong in one category, Quality.

The local dealers ZR1 hood is not even the same color as the rest of the car (not to mention orange peel). The ZR1 panel gaps are all over the map and they want $150K (ugh). Two out of three of my Z06's had oil leaks at the diff even after dealer repairs.
That is exactly the opposite of my ZR1 and Z06. Paint quality is EXCELLENT on both and NO orange peel on the ZR1 (very slight orange peel on the Z06). NO gaps anywhere. Nearly perfect alignment of the panels.

$150K ?? I paid $1500 UNDER sticker!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Stop resurrecting this thread!

cheers!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
Doesn't look like ZR1 buyers in San Jose, CA are getting much of a break though. The dealership had a white ZR1 on the floor last week with an MSRP of $121,130 and a $50,000 "market area adjustment" to the total of $171,130 Their previous ZR1's "only" had a mark-up of $30k. I have no idea what the actual selling prices were. And yes, they are a major vette dealer in the area with about 31 new vettes in the lot and about 4 used vettes (nice assortment of base, CSR, GT1, Grand Sports and Z06's).
Was it Courtesy Chevrolet on SanCarlos [?] ?? I remember how bad they were when the first Z06's came out. I remember asking the sales manager if he wouldn't consider that a $20,000 ADP {additional dealer profit} markup might scare off future customers, and repeat customers. He replied that they didn't care because another young "Silicon Valley" instant millionaire would buy it anyway. Nice !!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

IT WONT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:will y:

So Jorday, what did you end up getting? Its probably in the paged of the dead scroll here but just wondering what you decided to go with?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tomsws6
IT WONT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:will y:

So Jorday, what did you end up getting? Its probably in the paged of the dead scroll here but just wondering what you decided to go with?
I believe he went with a 2009 Camry...something about the car taking on a mind of its own being one of the most exciting experiences of his life time.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, don't knock the Camry. It may have the trifecta of automobile products liability risks: Throttle sticks to the floor, brakes fail, and steering fails. Couple that with reports of headlight problems and I can think of several folks I'd like to see driving one. At night.

Not Jorday, of course.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Abandon ship?