Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jrostocki
I just love it! All you z06 guys have been downing the regular c6 guys since the z06 came out and saying that even a moded c6 can never compare to a stock z06. Now that the tables are turned the z06 guys are saying that $20k spent on a stock z06 will produce a way better car than a zr1 . Lets just face it buying a used c6 and doing major mods to it will produce a car that out everytings a z06 and zr1 and can be done for half the cost of both of them.
Good Call, Joe
Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I am jealous. Cars. Houses. Women. Money. Stock portfolio. Airplanes. Just plain jealous.

I love the C5Z, the C6Z, the C4 ZR1, the C6ZR1, classic vettes; just jealous of them all.

Thank goodness I'll be getting a lightly used c5Z this weekend, as I have been going into sports car withdrawal since I sold my '03C5Z and I've been so darn JEALOUS!

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-13-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Why are zo6 buyers jealous of the zr1

I can say from my Heart I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS...As I have said here on Many Occassions My Vette days go back to 1965.
Some 50 odd Vettes Later I am always wanting the new Vette on the Block.....I thought maybe this time it wouldn't happen and I bought a 2009 ZO6 in Cyber Grey...I wasn't even out the Door of Kerbeck and I wanted one of those 2 ZR1s on the Showroom Floor...well couldn't have either and Here I WAIT......WHY well in all these Vette Purchase I NEVER NEVER paid over Sticker (Was tempted on many Occassions) and I refuse to give in to my Promise...I will wait it out and Hopefully it won't be long till I can Place that order...Any Dealer out there ready to take me up on it?????
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgreen83
Haha I see it to. SOME Z06 guys making fun of the regular c6 guys because they said they can mod their car to be better than a c6z. They laugh and still say its not a c6z.
its not, just like a Z06 won't be a ZR1
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
PcarRacr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I am noticing a trend with some of the C6 Z06 owners! The word is "jealously".

jealous-
1 a: intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness b: disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
2: hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
3: vigilant in guarding a possession <new colonies were jealous of their new independence — Scott Buchanan>
— jeal·ous·ly adverb
— jeal·ous·ness noun

It's still a Corvette guys. Face the facts. It will out handle you, out brake you, and simple out gun you.

The only way around the acceleration is to mod your car. There is not much you can do about the braking, or the handling.

Your C6 Z06 is still a bad *** car, but the new kid on the block has arrived! This sort of thing happens in the car industry.

Yawn...

I think I figured it out. Most people who have owned their Z06's for a few years now realize the value of paying twice as much for a ZR1 just isn't there. Tell me 1 thing that I can't go put on my Z06 to match the ZR1(and do it for waaay less than the base price of the ZR1)? Basically all one needs to do is add a big brake kit and coil-overs and different tires. Getting the HP is easy. Hell I have 780hp and my car still has the factory exhaust, cats and is 100% smog legal...oh yeah I've had numerous issues taken care of under warranty at the dealer as well...so what's your point?

You can also mod a ZR1...great more hp...but we've already figured out that easy to get in a Z06. It's not like you guys can go put better Brakes or Suspension(than what it already has) on it and whoop up on a Z06...its the same F'ing platform.

And as far as Z owners making fun of C6 owners...that ones funny because I actually believe most Z06 owners should have a regular C6 as it probably more car then they know what to do with anyway...this is even more so for ZR1 owners. Bottom-line is enjoy which ever platform you have. ZR1 owners quit trying to justify the dollars you spent...you have a great car that if it gets killed off becasue of economic/CAFE reasons it will be even more exclusive. Go to bed feeling good about your purchase but don't be Butt-Hurt the day you pull up to a light/drag track or Road Race course and get your *** handed to you by a modded out Z06. If someone did it to me in a std C6 I'd give them props as they have a Bad *** car! In the end we're all motorsport enthusiasts and should celebrate anyones ride no matter the brand or number of wheels it has! ;-)

Chad

Last edited by PcarRacr; 10-13-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

ZR-1 is the real deal. Love the C.F. on car. Especially in BLACK color. Seriously, if its not too late to change your order ..... cancel and order the Black, with red interior.

We had two on showroom floor. One in Cybergray and the Black. The black was everyones favorite.

Also ... that hood window needs to go. It only subtracts from car's looks.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Performin Norman
Burning Brakes

I'm not jealous but I'm a bit envious as I didn't get my car after waiting for 3 years. But, good things come to those who wait. I'll get mine after the first of the year when I get one for MSRP or less and don't have to pay 2009 property taxes. Until then, I'll settle for driving my C6Z (stock) and my C5Z (402 CID twin turbo).
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default jealous

I don't think so .... why would anyone be envious of a slower car ...j
Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Performin Norman
I'm not jealous but I'm a bit envious as I didn't get my car after waiting for 3 years. But, good things come to those who wait. I'll get mine after the first of the year when I get one for MSRP or less and don't have to pay 2009 property taxes. Until then, I'll settle for driving my C6Z (stock) and my C5Z (402 CID twin turbo).
pooooooor guyyyyy
Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Bmore30
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbadad
I don't think so .... why would anyone be envious of a slower car ...j
I disagree with the mod argument.

I just have a hard time spending over MSRP to be the first on the block. I will get mine in 2-3 years at or below- just like I did with the c6Zo6. It is a great car and next step in the evolution of the Corvette.

I just think GM missed an opportunity to create a true supercar as far as looks. Anyone besides true car enthusiasts will not be able to tell a ZR-1 from a base corvette. There is a reason Ford GTs are still a hot ticket.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
redknight
Racer

GM wasn't trying to build some new fancy super car. They were trying to build the ultimate vette which they did. I would be disappointed if it didn't look like one.

Secondly the modded z06 argument is just wrong. You can't modded a z06 to match a zr1 and still save money. GM may be hemorrhaging money but they still have a huge economies of scale advantage over a private owner. Add up the cost of the mods (power, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes etc), labor, warranty, driving school and you could have bought a zr1. I love the z06, but it has been replaced as top vette as every media review of the zr1 attests to.

I don't think any z06 owner should be jealous, but lets not spread a bunch of false rumors that the zr1 isn't that or special or fast or blah blah blah
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redknight
GM wasn't trying to build some new fancy super car. They were trying to build the ultimate vette which they did. I would be disappointed if it didn't look like one.

Secondly the modded z06 argument is just wrong. You can't modded a z06 to match a zr1 and still save money. GM may be hemorrhaging money but they still have a huge economies of scale advantage over a private owner. Add up the cost of the mods (power, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes etc), labor, warranty, driving school and you could have bought a zr1. I love the z06, but it has been replaced as top vette as every media review of the zr1 attests to.

I don't think any z06 owner should be jealous, but lets not spread a bunch of false rumors that the zr1 isn't that or special or fast or blah blah blah
Well said......
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Erix
Pro

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
You need only read your own post.

Marty
1FUNZR1

No worries. There is quite a difference between opinion with a culturally valued moral versus actually looking a way of thinking rooted only in one's histrionic imperitives. For most its likely clear which one was which.

Probably didnt care for the analogy, eh? Not a problem, I am sure some neighborhood kids will give you the respect you're lookin for once you get that new ride

Seriously though, I think everyone here loves most any car. But it'd never be realistic to have everyone agree on priorities.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Erix
Pro

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
Why would I be jealous of a zr1

You know you want it
Nice!

Nothing like perspective about something you cant just go out and buy (easily).
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
Why would I be jealous of a zr1

You know you want it
oh yeah...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Erix

No worries. There is quite a difference between opinion with a culturally valued moral versus actually looking a way of thinking rooted only in one's histrionic imperitives. For most its likely clear which one was which.

Probably didnt care for the analogy, eh? Not a problem, I am sure some neighborhood kids will give you the respect you're lookin for once you get that new ride

Seriously though, I think everyone here loves most any car. But it'd never be realistic to have everyone agree on priorities.
You certainly validate absolutely all that was in my earlier post.

Why not go back and read it.
You might again amaze yourself.
You cannot respond to a single post without being the poster child for what was said.
And as was said many times by others.......

You know you want one too!

Simply admit it; Don't worry. You'll be fine.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I can afford a ZR-1, but I'm shopping for a Z06 instead.

-I think the Z06 looks better. Don't care for the clear hood or cf roof, or the front gills on the ZR-1.
-I would rather have the LS7 cubes than the LS3 cubes
-My previous C6 made a little more power than the ZR-1 does, it also had a roots blower.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ZR-1 is an exceptional car for a factory built vehicle, but the Z06 is just more appealing to me overall.

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I can afford a ZR-1, but I'm shopping for a Z06 instead.

-I think the Z06 looks better. Don't care for the clear hood or cf roof, or the front gills on the ZR-1.
-I would rather have the LS7 cubes than the LS3 cubes
-My previous C6 made a little more power than the ZR-1 does, it also had a roots blower.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ZR-1 is an exceptional car for a factory built vehicle, but the Z06 is just more appealing to me overall.

Tony
Tony,
Many are " so hooked", they just want both!
Certainly a C6 with a blower would be a welcome and cherished item under the Christmas tree!
Now if an 09 ZR1 were next to it..... GAME OVER!
Enjoy them all!

Marty
Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 AM
JamRWS6
Racer

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
It's still a Corvette guys. Face the facts. It will out handle you, out brake you, and simple out gun you.

The only way around the acceleration is to mod your car. There is not much you can do about the braking, or the handling.

Your C6 Z06 is still a bad *** car, but the new kid on the block has arrived! This sort of thing happens in the car industry.
So even though it is the exact same car with a few different suspension pieces you don't think a Z06 can be modded to outhandle a ZR1? Do you think the stuff that comes in your toilet is golden too? Do you not think an even better BBK couldn't be fitted to the Z06 and probably for much less.

The one thing you got right is stock for stock the ZR1 outperforms the Z06. When you get into modding you open up a whole new ballgame and the ZR1 is a great car. Is it worth twice the price at todays market values? Not a chance.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
So even though it is the exact same car with a few different suspension pieces you don't think a Z06 can be modded to outhandle a ZR1?
Not on rough real world roads....magnetic ride is better than ANY aftermarket option for the Z06 at this time...and no Z06 can touch the ride quality of the ZR1.

Until mag ride becomes an option for the Z06, this is a clear point of superiority over the Z06...modded or not.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?