Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:13 PM
8mywal8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeh I am so jealous

Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
fedaricko01
Racer

I don't see it as jealousy.. its more of being content with what you have.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
You have to give credit when credit is due, the ZR1 is among the top performing cars in the world.

You might want to check out an interesting article in the December issue of Car and Driver,
A link to the Car and Driver article that also tested the Katech C6.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rt+page-5.html

In summation from this article:

Test Times

All three Corvettes are spectacularly fast. The base model goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and hits 100 mph in 9.0 seconds. The Z06 needs just 3.6 and 8.3 seconds for the same tasks, while the ZR1 hits 60 mph in 3.4 seconds and 100 mph in a stellar 7.6 seconds. That 100-mph time betters the likes of the Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Ferrari F430.

The 30-to-50 and 50-to-70-mph top-gear acceleration times are impressive, as is skidpad grip: 0.99 g for the coupe, rising to 1.07 g for the ZR1, which also has the best braking of any production car we have ever tested—it needed just 142 feet to slow from 70 mph to a standstill. The base car managed 152 feet (better than the last 911 Turbo we tested), and the Z06 took 150 feet.

Road Warriors

The base coupe is the most livable of the three. The highway ride is surprisingly supple, tire noise is relatively muted—except for some intrusive slap over expansion joints—and the engine hums away at 2000 rpm at 80 mph. We even managed to average 25 mpg during our test in the coupe, close to the EPA-highway figure of 26 mpg. That’s astonishing when one considers that the car spent an afternoon being thrown roughly around Grattan Raceway Park in western Michigan.

On bumpy back roads, the Corvette was very composed, had tons of grip, and ate up the straightaways while being perfectly composed under braking. It sounds terrific, too, bellowing hard under full throttle. The only weaknesses are steering that isn’t particularly communicative, even if the weight and accuracy are first-class, and a notchy shifter.

The Z06 is almost too much car for regular roads. On the highway, the ride is quite compliant, but it gets choppy over high-frequency, small-amplitude ripples. Surprisingly, it’s quieter than the base car at 70 mph, though the engine is more raucous under hard acceleration, when the V-8 snarls in a harsher, less mellifluous manner. The shifter still has a manly action but was a lot smoother than the base car’s. An observed fuel economy of 20 mpg is impressive considering the Z06’s capabilities.

Although the Z06 is even faster and grippier than the base car, it’s not as easy to drive hard on bumpy back roads, darting here and there in the braking zones. It crashes hard over the most pockmarked surfaces, and the steering feels a little less linear and more aggressive on turn-in.

The ZR1 is a more civilized ride than the Z06, although one needs to make sure the adjustable shocks are set in “Tour.” “Sport” is as firm as it is in the Z06, whereas the softer setting is almost as supple as the base car’s. Highway cruising is more rowdy, however, thanks to the shorter gear ratios and the noise emitted by the giant tires. The ZR1 got a woeful 12-mpg average, although the car did spend an awful lot of its time lapping around Grattan. The attainable EPA highway number of 20 mpg is a lot more respectable.

The car tends to tramline, unlike the other models, which means the driver needs a firm hand on bumpy back roads. We rated the ZR1’s steering as the most linear and involving of the three cars. The brakes are stellar, despite some initial pedal softness. Like the two other cars, there’s a marked step in power at roughly 3000 rpm, except that there’s simply more thrust in this car. The engine noise is sublime, a sonorous exhaust growl that swells in volume with revs, accompanied by blower whine that creates a V-8 symphony.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:43 AM
L8RG8R
Racer

Originally Posted by 8mywal8
oh yeh I am so jealous

MMMMM, that is nice.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 AM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

What just happened.............

OK - everyone get up off the couch and drive your car around.....whatever car it is, I'm sure it will fire up that smile
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 AM
09C6ZR1
Racer

I love my ZR1.....but I want a vert too.(azza daily driver)
Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM
09C6ZR1
Racer

a vetteizzavetteizzavetteizzavette........ ....doesn't matter ifn itsa 62 or a 09.............it's still a vette.......................NUTHIN BUT STRAIGHT UP LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I just don't want a forced induction car period. Now throw in the hot wheels style hood and carbon fiber roof and it means I don't even like the design. I would like the brakes, suspension, wheels, and steering. The ZR1 has its place, just not in my garage.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm pretty happy with my Z06!
Do you encounter this jealousy often in the C4 forum? Is this passive aggressiveness toward the C6 in general? Are C4 owners, like yourself, jealous of the C5 and C6 owners? I'm just not sure of your motive for this thread.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Because it's human nature to feel jealousy when you're not the top dog anymore.....How many threads have we seen saying the "Z51" C6 is close enough to a Z06 to make the Z06 a stupid buy.

I had really hoped those sentiments wouldn't be raised in this case....but here we sit all the same.

Me personally, I'm extremely envious of ZR-1 owners.....but not jealous and yes,there is a BIG difference. I'll have one soon enough,I'll do the same as I did when the Z06 was introduced....wait.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

Why are C6 owners so jealous?

because i want a z06 or zr1 with removable roof
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Foosevette
Racer

100K+ for a vette?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
greentank
Burning Brakes

Saw an atomic orange ZR1 last weekend. Very nice car, didnt like the way the ground effects ended in front of the rear tire, though, and it was too quiet. I tried putting the top down, too, but I couldnt find the button.

So I'm making my own slowly, with a convertible top.

I really like the ZR1s, but for the price, it should have a Lambo-caliber interior & seets. Minor gripes, but jeez.....it would cost an extra few thousand bucks.

Anyway, enjoy your ZRs....and thanks for buying American.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
blitzu
Racer

What's funny is that this entire thread was manufactured by folks that don't own ZR1's (or most anything else for that matter) that have been jealous themselves of the Z06. These poor soles have been waiting for years now to try and "stick it to those people" that have a Z06. The Z06 is a modern marvel as is the ZR1. But what seperates the Z06 over all else is what it does for the dollar. No other car comes close for the money. The ZR1 is very nice, but I fell in love with the LS7, and will stick with it all the way.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:55 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzu
What's funny is that this entire thread was manufactured by folks that don't own ZR1's (or most anything else for that matter) that have been jealous themselves of the Z06. These poor soles have been waiting for years now to try and "stick it to those people" that have a Z06. The Z06 is a modern marvel as is the ZR1. But what seperates the Z06 over all else is what it does for the dollar. No other car comes close for the money. The ZR1 is very nice, but I fell in love with the LS7, and will stick with it all the way.
You said it Blitzu.

Most of the talk against the Z06 and it's owners comes from people who don't own, and can't afford a Z06 or a ZR1.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I am noticing a trend with some of the C6 Z06 owners! The word is "jealously".

jealous-
1 a: intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness b: disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
2: hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
3: vigilant in guarding a possession <new colonies were jealous of their new independence — Scott Buchanan>
— jeal·ous·ly adverb
— jeal·ous·ness noun

It's still a Corvette guys. Face the facts. It will out handle you, out brake you, and simple out gun you.

The only way around the acceleration is to mod your car. There is not much you can do about the braking, or the handling.

Your C6 Z06 is still a bad *** car, but the new kid on the block has arrived! This sort of thing happens in the car industry.
This has got to be the most childish and ridiculous post I have seen on this forum. Please moderators remove it now!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM
C6YA
Instructor

Originally Posted by LowFlight
I am not. As a matter of fact, I prefer the looks of my Z06 AND it has more than enough power for me. Even if I could afford a ZR-1, I would buy a Z06 again and spend that money elsewhere.
Although I do not own a Z06, I suspect that the general public does not recognize much of a difference in the appearance of the exterior or interior with the exception of the engine. Having said that, vette guys know immediately and if you want the best performance, then there is a big difference. Is it worth the difference in price...maybe...if you have the money, maybe not if you don't. As far as supercar performance is concerned, the ZR1 at $120k is a whole lot of car for the money in comparison to all the supercars in the world. Most supercars with ZR1 numbers are well above $120k. I like the looks of the Z06 and it out performs most supercars out there for a third of the price. While somewhat justified for the latest and greatest, the current premium for a ZR1 takes some of the fun out of it. Since the ZR1 will probably never be a convertible, looks like I'll be keeping my Callaway Convertible for a long long time.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
01NEWB
Intermediate

I have yet to read in a Porsche forum, that 997 owners are jealous of s4 and turbo owners. This thread does nothing but enforces the typical stereo type of corvette owners, I am lost for words.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
dbooth
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

No jealousy here. I respect the ZR1 for what it is. But if I had to sell all my corvettes just to own one ZR1 then it's not worth it to me. As a C4 owner too I am not jealous of any C6 although I love driving my Z06 just as much as the Grand Sport. I honestly believe I get more looks and thumbs-up in the Grand Sports than the Z.

I personally like all Corvettes and believe they all have a place in the history of the evolution of the car.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SSphantom
I'm very aware of the ACR, but let's be honest, it's barely a street car.
It has sticky tires, a complete aero package including a rear wing and an adjustable suspension. Do you consider that a "production car"? I guess we should because they "produce" it right?
The ZR1 also has sticky tires. The ZR1 also has a carbon fiber front splitter and a new wing, albeit smaller. You can also lower the ZR1 in about 20 minutes, and the shocks are also adjustable with the turn of a ****.

If you do not think the ACR is a street car because it has a wing and DOT racing tires, you are sadly mistaken. The fact is that it IS a production car, and you can go buy one from your local Dodge dealership. Just because it may look more aggressive than the ZR1, that doesn't make it any less of a street car. In fact, they drive identical to the non-ACR Vipers. They still have A/C, still have leather seats, navigation option, carpet, airbags, etc... The ACR is just a base Viper with: better brake rotors, lighter wheels, adjustable coil-over shocks, better tires, front and rear wings. Nothing you can't do yourself to any other Viper.

Last edited by NineBall; 11-25-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why are C6 Z06 owners so jealous?