Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ok stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
shimmy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok stupid question

got to see a zr1 the other day and have seen all the pics

to me it looks like a targa im nearly positive it's not but then this guy told me it unscrews??!!?!?!?!?!?

so why does it unscew why are their lines on the roof like a targa

thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

it is not a targa....the roof is carbon fiber so it looks similar to the transparent C6 targa top....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I completely agree to the title of this thread sorry, but it was kinda funny.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmy
got to see a zr1 the other day and have seen all the pics

to me it looks like a targa im nearly positive it's not but then this guy told me it unscrews??!!?!?!?!?!?

so why does it unscew why are their lines on the roof like a targa

thanks
The roof panel is a separate piece that is added at vehicle assembly. On the Z06 and ZR1, the panel is made to bolt in place. Those bolts are hidden above the headliner. It was not made to be taken off by the owner but can be removed for repair and replacement by a mechanic. So yes it looks like a targa coupe but the roof doesn't latch in place like a targa coupe.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The roof panel is a separate piece that is added at vehicle assembly. On the Z06 and ZR1, the panel is made to bolt in place. Those bolts are hidden above the headliner. It was not made to be taken off by the owner but can be removed for repair and replacement by a mechanic. So yes it looks like a targa coupe but the roof doesn't latch in place like a targa coupe.
I didn't know this either. I guess there really are no stupid questions. :o
Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vietnam Vette
Unlike the 01 thru 04 model Z06 roofs which didn't even remotely look like the targa roof coupes, all of the C6 generation coupes and Z06s have separate roof skins that are installed with adhesive to a separate roof frame. For the Z06s, the metal frame is a magnesium alloy. As a matter of fact assuming no changes over the past two years, all roof panels are finish painted outside of the Bowling Green assembly plant by the supplier that makes the roof panels. Sometimes GM has color match issues as a result like when they had DSOM. The match between the roofs and the rest of the body panels wasn't up to quality standards. It was a tough color to match including the outside mirrors which are once again finish painted by the outside supplier. So to conclude, the targa roofs are made to latch in place for owner removal and the Z06 roofs simply bolt-in and covered by the headliner because it was not intended for owner removal. Hope this was helpful to those that didn't know.

Last edited by GOLD72; 10-10-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
shimmy
Instructor

yes it was thank you very much
Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 AM
spares
Advanced

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Unlike the 01 thru 04 model Z06 roofs which didn't even remotely look like the targa roof coupes, all of the C6 generation coupes and Z06s have separate roof skins that are installed with adhesive to a separate roof frame. For the Z06s, the metal frame is a magnesium alloy. As a matter of fact assuming no changes over the past two years, all roof panels are finish painted outside of the Bowling Green assembly plant by the supplier that makes the roof panels. Sometimes GM has color match issues as a result like when they had DSOM. The match between the roofs and the rest of the body panels wasn't up to quality standards. It was a tough color to match including the outside mirrors which are once again finish painted by the outside supplier. So to conclude, the targa roofs are made to latch in place for owner removal and the Z06 roofs simply bolt-in and covered by the headliner because it was not intended for owner removal. Hope this was helpful to those that didn't know.
so does this mean that with the right tools and hardware, you could essentially unbolt your ZR1 or Z06 roof, swap hardware/add parts, and pop in a targa roof. I know its a long shot but figured I'd ask
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by spares
so does this mean that with the right tools and hardware, you could essentially unbolt your ZR1 or Z06 roof, swap hardware/add parts, and pop in a targa roof. I know its a long shot but figured I'd ask
Frankly I don't know the answer to that. The roof bows and windshield frames may be different to accomodate the latches on the coupes and bolting on the Z06s/ZR1s. If it was simply changing bracket attachments, then it might be possible. I will see if I can find my old photos of the Z06 publicity birdcage frame photos from 3 years ago to see if I can see the attachment details.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by spares
With the right tools and hardware, the simple answer is "yes, however". the halo frame is not the same as in the coupe. In addition, there is a flex concern within the car's aluminum frame. There are several threads that address this issue in the Z06 section. Either way, it's not a Do-It-Yourself project
Old 10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
HBJG
Racer

Exactly
Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zhopper05
With the right tools and hardware, the simple answer is "yes, however". the halo frame is not the same as in the coupe. In addition, there is a flex concern within the car's aluminum frame. There are several threads that address this issue in the Z06 section. Either way, it's not a Do-It-Yourself project
Exactly what I was thinking! I still remember my '93 40th anniversary Vette with a Targa top. The top adds a lot of stability. The difference driving the same car with the top on and off, was night and day. With the top off it felt like the front drivers side front was bouncing around when you got on it, I could really feel it in the steering. Top on it felt just fine. With the aluminum frame, I think this effect would be worse, let alone 638HP!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Exactly what I was thinking! I still remember my '93 40th anniversary Vette with a Targa top. The top adds a lot of stability. The difference driving the same car with the top on and off, was night and day. With the top off it felt like the front drivers side front was bouncing around when you got on it, I could really feel it in the steering. Top on it felt just fine. With the aluminum frame, I think this effect would be worse, let alone 638HP!
Actually the C4 Targa was a structural part of the car. Handling with the Targa on or off was like two different cars. It's one of the reasons the C4 Targa was attached with screws that had to be removed instead of just latches.

C5's and C6's on the otherhand were designed in such a way, think hydroformed frame rails, that the handling is basically identical with the Targa on or off. Even the Convertible models have very little difference in handling compared to the Coupe.

The Z06 and ZR1 with their aluminum frames do have more body flex and is the main reason for their fixed roofs. A conversion could be done but at the expense of handling which may or may not concern the person wanting the conversion.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The roof does not come off, like the ZO6.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

From what I can see in photos, someone will have to be good at metal working and welding aluminum to be able to do a targa roof conversion of a Z06 or ZR1 with its aluminum birdcage.

Get notified of new replies

To ok stupid question

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ok stupid question