Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Zr1's on dealer lots

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I think you're either confused about the price or what car you're talkign about.
Sorry - I meant over MSRP. I will edit the post in question.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
yesterday there were 24 on dealer lots....today 29 units on lots....looks like the inventory is starting to build up....anyone wanting to pay $$$$ over msrp should have no problem getting one...

as for the rest of us....just a matter of time....
The problem is the dealers will continue to hold out for the "market adjustment". BG's plant slow down and rumors of canceling the ZR1 () will encourage dealers to hold out even longer for the big markups. I believe dealers will learn quickly once the plant fires back up and ZR1's start going out the door that they need to drop the "market adjustment". The ZR1 is not the C6Z and the 6 figure price is out of reach for most. Consequently, the number of potential buyers is significantly smaller than was the case for the C6Z. It sure looks like those who were willing to shell out the huge markup have taken delivery.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
ammoman
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
It sure looks like those who were willing to shell out the huge markup have taken delivery.
I did
Eric
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
This is excellent advice from some one with life experience!

However, I can tell you this much. The people who are actually buying ZR1s right now are probably in a different position. Most of my customes have paid cash and the few the financed their ZR1s had absolutely no problem getting approved for their loans. I'm seeing more of an issue with people trying to buy regular Vettes getting a loan then I do with the ZR1.

On another note, here's what really bugs me. It's always been a tradition on the Corvette Forum for someone to make a post when they take delivery of a new Corvette and everyone congratulates them and asks for pictures and reviews and its a great feeling for that new owner to share his happiness with his fellow owners.

I'm not seeing that for ZR1 owners. When someone makes a post that they took delivery of a new ZR1, they are called morons and made to feel bad because they paid over sticker because they wanted the car now and had the ability to buy one.

Whether these posts are made in anger, or jealousy or because you really think the buyers are idiots, why spoil what is a very happy occasion for someone who made their own decision with their own resources.

Sure it's an open forum and you have the right to have your say, but I remember what my Mother always told me and I still live by it, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

If we want to start another thread about dealers charging over sticker, then by all means go ahead. Stopping that would be like stopping another Z51 vs F55 thread over in C6 General, but how about showing some Corvette love for some guys who are very happy with their purchases and want to share the experience with other Corvette lovers in this community.

[Flame Suit On]

Dave

100% Correct Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by ammoman
I did
Eric
Congrats
Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Performin Norman
Burning Brakes

One of them is mine. I'll wait and watch the market roll. It's going to be soon.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 those that have a ZR-1 - it's obvious that the money was not the issue when you bought the car - U are lucky people I am enjoying the hell out of my Z06 and can apprecite that you are doing the same with your ZR-1
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

This is excellent advice from some one with life experience!

However, I can tell you this much. The people who are actually buying ZR1s right now are probably in a different position. Most of my customes have paid cash and the few the financed their ZR1s had absolutely no problem getting approved for their loans. I'm seeing more of an issue with people trying to buy regular Vettes getting a loan then I do with the ZR1.

On another note, here's what really bugs me. It's always been a tradition on the Corvette Forum for someone to make a post when they take delivery of a new Corvette and everyone congratulates them and asks for pictures and reviews and its a great feeling for that new owner to share his happiness with his fellow owners.

I'm not seeing that for ZR1 owners. When someone makes a post that they took delivery of a new ZR1, they are called morons and made to feel bad because they paid over sticker because they wanted the car now and had the ability to buy one.

Whether these posts are made in anger, or jealousy or because you really think the buyers are idiots, why spoil what is a very happy occasion for someone who made their own decision with their own resources.

Sure it's an open forum and you have the right to have your say, but I remember what my Mother always told me and I still live by it, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

If we want to start another thread about dealers charging over sticker, then by all means go ahead. Stopping that would be like stopping another Z51 vs F55 thread over in C6 General, but how about showing some Corvette love for some guys who are very happy with their purchases and want to share the experience with other Corvette lovers in this community.

[Flame Suit On]

Dave

I agree 100%. Regardless of your negative feelings on the buyers situation you should either bite your tongue and don't post or say congrats and move on. What others do with their money is their business,
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There seems to be more and more ZR1's on Ebay too.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

... here's what really bugs me. It's always been a tradition on the Corvette Forum for someone to make a post when they take delivery of a new Corvette and everyone congratulates them and asks for pictures and reviews and its a great feeling for that new owner to share his happiness with his fellow owners.

...how about showing some Corvette love for some guys who are very happy with their purchases and want to share the experience with other Corvette lovers in this community.

Dave
Dave,

I'll be direct. While I agree with your observations, and think we really ought to be enthusiasts, and happy for everyone, the cold hard reality is this:

Some of those 'early adopters' who chose to pay over MSRP are, frankly, also insufferable boors, and make it extraordinarily difficult to be glad for them, given their nasty demeanor, and flaunting of what most see as nothing more than bad economic judgment.

I have been on CF for four or five years, and in all that time, I had previously put maybe two posters total on ignore. But in the couple of months since I came to the ZR1 forum, I now have 5 posters, all from this area on ignore, simply because they are so rude that it makes it maddening to see their swaggering air and 'gimmee attention' attitude. Hey, I didn't suffer that crap in High School, much less now that I am pushing fifty.

So, to ALL who have gotten a ZR1, I wish you health, happiness, and many fun miles, but a couple of you might want to consider that the old saw about Corvettes being used as a substitute for genital insufficiency is being breathed new life every time someone outside of CF runs up against your childish displays of "Guess how much I paid for this Rolex? It was one of the only ones made this year..." blah blah blah.

People here care about cars, not about you trying to be **** of the walk.

Anyhoo, enjoy the awesome machine!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
yesterday there were 24 on dealer lots....today 29 units on lots....looks like the inventory is starting to build up....anyone wanting to pay $$$$ over msrp should have no problem getting one...

as for the rest of us....just a matter of time....

That's over half a car per state ... sounds like GM is drowning in them.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
That's over half a car per state ... sounds like GM is drowning in them.

they will be soon....if they were so hot and everyone wanted it they would be gone...even over msrp....the fact they are sitting on lots is a very good thing for those of us not willing to pay over sticker...

my original point was that if you wanted it so bad that over sticker didn't matter you could make a deal today....
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM
carczar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The buyers for the ZR are not necessarly the same buyers for the Z06, most of the ZR buyers are cash buyers and do not need to finance them they may own a Z06, but many Z06 buyers will never own a ZR. This market will hold up for quite a while, I agree it will get back to MSRP, it won't happen soon
Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 AM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At one time I really liked my 04 ZO6, now I have a C6 Z. As time goes on I may buy a ZR1. But, not at a mark up over sticker. With so many people suffering and about to suffer in our economy I don't think it's a wise move. The dealers who play the game in a fair way will get my business. I would only suggest the rest of you remember who (which dealers) rip the customers the most. Please spare me about the free market, remember the free market for mortgages? Wow, good first post in this area huh?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

The rules have changed and some are moving too fast to stop and realize it. Prices for all commodoties including cars are falling primarily because even those with money are afraid to pull the trigger, if not because of apprehension parting with their money, then the realization the downhill spiral is not over and prices go in the same direction. This economic upheaval is not going away this year or next, it is becoming a permanent fixture. When we need to bail out the "world", and the dollar is no longer affixed to the gold standard, eventually and inevitably, the printers will run out of ink. Best
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Dontrunmeover
Advanced

Originally Posted by skip89
At one time I really liked my 04 ZO6, now I have a C6 Z. As time goes on I may buy a ZR1. But, not at a mark up over sticker. With so many people suffering and about to suffer in our economy I don't think it's a wise move. The dealers who play the game in a fair way will get my business. I would only suggest the rest of you remember who (which dealers) rip the customers the most. Please spare me about the free market, remember the free market for mortgages? Wow, good first post in this area huh?
Bingo. I Don't care who has the "CRAZY DEALS!!" in the near future.

Those that played the 50K markup or pitting one ZR1 customer against another game won't even get a chance to get my business in the future.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

If you guys think that the wealthy is effected by this economic downturn, think again. It's all relative, a rich guy buying a ZR1 (or 2) is like a poor guy buying a can of soda (or 2). I suspect the ZR1 will be sold at MSRP or below in the near future.

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1's on dealer lots

Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after today's car and driver review, i wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP if not get a 5-10k discount. i mean come on now, 11.5@128 to a 11.7@127. so i'm paying 40k msrp more for 2 secs faster and 1 mph more, AND on top of that there is that 50k markup that is just

you dealers can keep your ZR1's while i just get headers, better brakes, tires, and suspension for my RF Z06
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Dave,

I'll be direct. While I agree with your observations, and think we really ought to be enthusiasts, and happy for everyone, the cold hard reality is this:

Some of those 'early adopters' who chose to pay over MSRP are, frankly, also insufferable boors, and make it extraordinarily difficult to be glad for them, given their nasty demeanor, and flaunting of what most see as nothing more than bad economic judgment.

I have been on CF for four or five years, and in all that time, I had previously put maybe two posters total on ignore. But in the couple of months since I came to the ZR1 forum, I now have 5 posters, all from this area on ignore, simply because they are so rude that it makes it maddening to see their swaggering air and 'gimmee attention' attitude. Hey, I didn't suffer that crap in High School, much less now that I am pushing fifty.

So, to ALL who have gotten a ZR1, I wish you health, happiness, and many fun miles, but a couple of you might want to consider that the old saw about Corvettes being used as a substitute for genital insufficiency is being breathed new life every time someone outside of CF runs up against your childish displays of "Guess how much I paid for this Rolex? It was one of the only ones made this year..." blah blah blah.

People here care about cars, not about you trying to be **** of the walk.

Anyhoo, enjoy the awesome machine!

You are dead on again!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by carczar
The buyers for the ZR are not necessarly the same buyers for the Z06, most of the ZR buyers are cash buyers and do not need to finance them they may own a Z06, but many Z06 buyers will never own a ZR. This market will hold up for quite a while, I agree it will get back to MSRP, it won't happen soon
I can't disagree with your opinion but I will offer mine as well here. I believe that once we get past these first few months of introductory roll-out for the ZR1 and the high rollers are paying the big premiums to buy now, the remaining market for ZR1s will largely be current Z06 owners or even current coupe/vert owners who can afford more. I certainly fall into that category. I have owned as DDs for the past 8 years an 01Z and now 06Z (both bought early in the MY at MSRP) and I am looking forward to moving up to the ZR1 in a year or so. And I will be paying cash. I will be damned if I am going to pay market adjustment for a car that has no chance of maintaining that value. You only have to look at past GM history to know where the market price of this car is going. Someone else several months ago rather crudely stated that GM would *****-out (his words not mine) the ZR1 just like every other supposedly limited production car they have ever built collapsing the long term value. With economic conditions as they are now, I am beginning to think that $5k to $7k discount off MSRP for the ZR1 will be possible sometime in the future. There is simply too much differential $$ between the current market price of the Z06 and the ZR1 to be justified for the long term. JMHO.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Zr1's on dealer lots