Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I turned down my ZR1 today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cdn zr1

Originally Posted by Zapper
Hi Performin Norman

I recall when you and I were purchasing the first Z06's available you had a beautiful stable of fine automobiles. I am sure you can afford to buy whatever you want and I think the same way you do. I also do not play the game of buying over MSRP. Canadian MSRP is brutal in the first place. My concern is that these cars will depreciate too quickly.

We just picked up a gently used Turbo S Cab for a $110,000.00 LESS than what the original owner paid. Car has 3700 miles on it. Comes with a full three year factory warranty from Porsche also. I thought this was an incredible deal and am worried about what will happen to the resale value of my inbound ZR1 - that should have been here ages ago, by the way. If everyone in the car buying public refused to pay over MSRP there would not be an issue. Ford GT's are trading at lower than list, yet they sold for prices in the stratosphere.

Once again - good decision - there is always another deal around the corner. I really wanted to get a souvenir from Corvette's 50th, so I bought the Snap On Toolboxes in the anni colors. As much as I love Corvettes, I refused to pay $92,000.00 Cdn for a fully loaded 50th anni roadster. I picked one up this summer in mint condition for $38K with 975 miles on the car. When a car is out of production the market prices them accordingly. When GM, or anyone else can crank out as many as they like for as many years as they like - pricing will definitely come down.

I will look forward to seeing you post getting a ZR1 at a price you can live with someday. My hat is off to you !
I agree 100% about rip off Canadian pricing by GM on the new ZR1. $144,000 before the dealer even adds his premium is theft. Then you add on the two taxes.
Which color did you order. Order of preference seems to be gray, blue, black, red, silver, yellow and orange for what is out there on offer. Some nice cars you have found for big savings! Porsche resale hurts but AMG Mercedes is even worse...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Performin Norman
We didn't have an agreed upon price. I just don't think the car is worth MSRP plus markup. When the dealer gives me $25,000 in value, I'll pay it.
We need to tell the whole story the first time or all of us will wear out our fingers debating "integrity" "philosophy" and "economics".

As I have warned for sometime, the economy has and will eliminate the buying market for sometime to come. Don't have to look further than car sales and the stock price of GM, worth less than it debt.

My next prediction is that "premium pricing" will become a thing of the past, as manufacturers and dealers struggle to survive.

A Ferrari dealer called yesterday, "checking" to see if I found my 430 yet. I found it a year ago!!. Example of the worm turn - looking or buyers and contrasted to fending them off.

Best
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
A Ferrari dealer called yesterday, "checking" to see if I found my 430 yet. I found it a year ago!!. Example of the worm turn - looking or buyers and contrasted to fending them off.

Best

Ferrari dealers are calling customers to see if they still want F430 since the orginal customer have passed on it. You can now purchase F430 at MSRP with no waiting. I am sure that the Ferrari dealer that called me have already gone through their customer waiting list and got a pass from all of them before thinking about me. I am waiting to see what the new replacement for the F430 looks like before I make my decision, meanwhile I am happy with my C6.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by yanniz
oh, I would go that far....give it a few weeks and check back in...
... do you really think GM is going to sell ZR1s at "employee prices" in a couple of weeks?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... do you really think GM is going to sell ZR1s at "employee prices" in a couple of weeks?
As I posted before, GM already has supplier and employee prices for the ZR1. Now, whether a dealership will ever honor it is another story:

Vehicle: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Selected Style: 1ZR
Exterior: Blade Silver Metallic
Interior: Ebony Leather Seating Surfaces
Total MSRP:* $106,520.00
MSRP: $106,520.00
Color & Options: $0.00
Additional Charges:** $0.00
GMS Price:*** $95,233.30
Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LostAngel
As I posted before, GM already has supplier and employee prices for the ZR1. Now, whether a dealership will ever honor it is another story:

Vehicle: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Selected Style: 1ZR
Exterior: Blade Silver Metallic
Interior: Ebony Leather Seating Surfaces
MSRP: $106,520.00
Color & Options: $0.00
Additional Charges:** $0.00
GMS Price:*** $95,233.30
Hey ... guess anyone could go in or call the dealers and say: "Since the economy is screwed, will you sell me your ZR1 for GMS?"

At this point I know what the answer will be .... Maybe if they are all sitting on the dealer's lot come about June 2009, then one might at least get a below MSRP deal, but most likely not GMS price.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious if they cashed your check, and if they did was the money put in an escrow account where you earned interest?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

These are the type of people (along with many other celebrities) who are also buying the ZR1 ... the economy down turn probably doesn't mean jack to them. Once the people with money dry up, then the dealers might start heading towards MSRP or below.

Last edited by Topless; 10-05-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: No off-site links allowed
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
bdking57
Safety Car

good move, just ignore these POS dealers and their markups. They will be going under MSRP by next year.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve 427
Smart move!!!
These things will be selling at GM employee pricing in no time.
Only time will tell.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by Steve 427
Smart move!!!
These things will be selling at GM employee pricing in no time.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I did not say a couple, you did...and to answer your question, I would put money on it...would you?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

I did not say a couple, you did...and to answer your question, I would put money on it...would you?
See your origianl post below:
oh, I would go that far....give it a few weeks and check back in...
In my book, a 'few' and a 'couple' weeks are basically the same thing.

I'd wager that you will NOT see ZR1s going for GM empoyee pricing by the end of this year ... or even in to 2009.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:47 AM
crazyls2
Heel & Toe

It is really sad to hear they are sticking it to people so hard when they try to buy these cars. I think you made a wise choice
Old 10-04-2008, 03:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ve77er
i also tend to agree that you made the correct move and i also agree that if the dealer mark up was only 5-10K then dealers would sell evry one they could get! 103,000 MSRP with a 25,000 mark up you are giving the dealer 1/4 of the price of the car over their already healthy profit margin at msrp just for the priviledge of driving it off their lot! not too smart in my book! i am no philanthropist, or millionaire, just a corvette die hard fan and working stiff! glad chevrolet produced this car! having fun reading about everyone's dealings and enjoying their new rides! (living vicariouslly) but i agree that if you put down a hefty deposit over three years ago and they still tried to ream you with a "market value adjustment" ( i never quite understood what the heck that is, given the market for most big ticket items is in the tank they should just call it what it is, --cool car excise tax!) then i applaude you for resisting the urge to buy the car you have been waiting so long to drive!! give it some time, after the dust settles on the bailout fiasco and we really see how broke this country is, things will settle down! way back in 1978, when the indy pace car came out they produced 6502 or in other words, built one for every chevrolet dealer in the u.s. i doubt there are still 6502 dealers left! and those cars were going for almost double the msrp!! in 1978!! i again applaude you and your decision!!
.............................chris
I remember something like $75,000 being paid out? If so some people sure got burned thinking the cars worth in the future.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by FactHP
"Smart move!!!
These things will be selling at GM employee pricing in no time."

Yeah sure, and dealer lots will be filled with them selling at MSRP LOL! Don't hold your breath. They are still hard to find at $15k to $20k over and rumor has it GM will not produce the numbers they orginally projected this year.
First year model with supercharger from factory. (first year production) Usually the cars get better after the first year but no tellin what the future will hold on production number of this model.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Performin Norman
We didn't have an agreed upon price. I just don't think the car is worth MSRP plus markup. When the dealer gives me $25,000 in value, I'll pay it.
you let the dealer hold 25 grand for three years and had no agreed price? Seems

Get notified of new replies

To I turned down my ZR1 today.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

I believe someone who can afford to pay $40-50k over MSRP has more whatever than a guy who 3 years ago put down 25K on a ZR1 with no stipulations as to what would happen if he/she changed his/her mind when the car was ready for delivery. At least the guy has an awesome Corvette for $155k, the other guy has nothing but the hassle of trying to get his money back and maybe never seeing that $25k again.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 PM
craftfox
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the Black one at ELCO chevy? just wondering

and if not, listen to this,, I live in the area, and they are letting this car SIT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! not just once, but I have seen it outside for like a week, out in the parking lot with the other vettes..
Old 10-05-2008, 12:22 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Good move. Great car, but once you step on it a half dozen times, it'll still be fun, but not anything over msrp fun. It won't be long, discounts will start, as the economy is so far in the tank, & a lot of us already have suoercharged vettes, some with see thru/removable roofs & verts.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] I turned down my ZR1 today.