Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1

I just spent about an hour reading posts about how anyone that pays over MSRP for a ZR1 is nuts, crazy, insane, and several other adjectives.

The problem is many people just can't think BIG. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if money was no object. It is an object though.

$25k, $50k, or $75k is chump change to many people in this country. That's walkin' around change to Hollywood, Wallstreeters, pro athletes and Corporate heads.

I submit if you had more money that you would spend in a lifetime, you'd be first in line to pony up for the status alone and be happy to brag about what you paid. I know I would.

Think big boys. To some people $175k is nothing.

Last edited by TexasMadMan; 09-22-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 AM
2009BLKZR1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You go boy! Very well put Tex! I really like your attitude!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 AM
EFNFAST
Burning Brakes

No thanks - I'll wait 3-5yrs for prices to come down. Let some sucker take the initial hit, like those people who paid 100k for their 9x ZR1 back in the 90s

Btw, I'm no pro athlete but I am a hedge fund manager and own my own investment mgmt. corporation, so I'm not exactly poor
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

If you pay an exorbitant amount you are one thing Imho, a CHUMP!!!, regardless of income or net worth. Plenty of us on here can afford a ZR1, even at some of the quoted "premiums", we just are not foolish or desperate enough to even think about paying them.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
If you pay an exorbitant amount you are one thing Imho, a CHUMP!!!, regardless of income or net worth. Plenty of us on here can afford a ZR1, even at some of the quoted "premiums", we just are not foolish or desperate enough to even think about paying them.

The real problem is some people actually think it is an investment!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

I do not pay over the asking price when I buy a home, and do not pay over sticker price when I buy a car, and with how car sales are going there will be some ZR1's around real soon.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I do not pay over the asking price when I buy a home, and do not pay over sticker price when I buy a car, and with how car sales are going there will be some ZR1's around real soon.
Carl 100%.... Soon we will see Dealer websites having ZR1's available and to call for price. After a few months of that they will be available at MSRP. I think the price of ZR1' will come down to list price sooner then the Z06's did. Of course there will be the few dealers who will wait it out and try to get above list.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It may be a bad thing to say on this forum, but the ZR1 isn't the car I'd be more than happy to fork over 50K large(or less or more over MSRP) for if I was richer than God. There are certainly a few vehicles out there that I would be more than happy to earn "chump" status for, though if I had the money issue........the too much issue
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM
MMartin
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it may depend on how you earned your money. People who have come into huge sums of money of short periods of time won't have a problem over paying for many items. But many of us have worked for several years to be in a positions to buy a car for over a $100,000.00 will be patient to wait for a fair or good price on the car.
Although it does not bother me the dealers are marking the cars up so much, they just won't selling me one.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

The real question is this - Is merely driving the ZR1 for 6-8 months worth $50,000? This assumes you will be able to get one for MSRP after that time period. I would like to think even if I thought $50,000 was chump change, I would be mature enough to wait and consider giving that $50,000 to a worthwhile cause. $50,000 can really change someone's life IMHO. I'm not talking a hand-out, but possible a meaningful charity or a family member who may be down on his/her luck. It would be a nice dilema to have...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

This over MSRP thread keeps popping up about every 6 or 7 days, and are a continuation from the early ZO6 days, but there are a number of these sitting in showrooms now and are not sold. Smart people will never pay over MSRP for a car. Any car. Not unless there is a way to buy it and turn it into a tax deduction such as an auction going to a charitable cause. It just does not make sense no matter how much money one may have. I still say you will be able to pick these up very soon at MSRP, especially with the latest economic news. Yes, it is affecting the wealthy also.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
I
$25k, $50k, or $75k is chump change to many people in this country. That's walkin' around change to Wallstreeters
Turn on/read the news much?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Some people fail to understand that the wealthy became wealthy by NOT doing what the OP suggested...
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MMartin
I think it may depend on how you earned your money. People who have come into huge sums of money of short periods of time won't have a problem over paying for many items. But many of us have worked for several years to be in a positions to buy a car for over a $100,000.00 will be patient to wait for a fair or good price on the car.
Although it does not bother me the dealers are marking the cars up so much, they just won't selling me one.
Originally Posted by Onerareviper
The real question is this - Is merely driving the ZR1 for 6-8 months worth $50,000? This assumes you will be able to get one for MSRP after that time period. I would like to think even if I thought $50,000 was chump change, I would be mature enough to wait and consider giving that $50,000 to a worthwhile cause. $50,000 can really change someone's life IMHO. I'm not talking a hand-out, but possible a meaningful charity or a family member who may be down on his/her luck. It would be a nice dilema to have...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Guys check this out.

You know that the very top round lit up part of the Bellagio in LV is a room?

I had a buddy that stayed there for a few nights when I was in town for the Ferrari Challenge. It costs $25k per night. It's always booked. Are these people chumps because they spend a ton of money on something of no real value? I'm certain there are people just as wealthy out there that would rather have the feeling of being one of the first on the block with a ZR1 then just spend two nights in that suite. It's all relative. We're not talking about people that make a million a year here. We're talking about people that make hundreds of millions a year. If they were growing up and their dad was a huge Corvette guy and now they're a huge corvette guy and they see this ZR1 they're going to say get me that. I have no problems with dealers charging a ton to those people right now. It hasn't exactly been a good time to be a Chevy dealer as of late. Let them have their cake and eat it too because it's not going to last. I too suspect this car will fall to MSRP quicker than the Z06 did.

p.s. I'm glad the moderator said he's going to ban those people that keep talking about dealers putting emblems on the cars. Who gives a ****? I mean come on.

There are some real cool people on this forum but an awful lot of ignorant pansies as well.

I can't wait till this section is actually about the ZR1 again...not the price, or the viper, or the gtr, or the dealer that made you cry, or the z06.

Last edited by phantasms; 09-23-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

phantasms:

Well said. Think Big. As I said in my first post. Some people have more money than they could possibly spend in a life time.

To the poster that asked if I read the news or watched television, the answer would be yes. I am also in the market and took a hit just like everyone did last week. I doubt very seriously that the poor economic conditions of late will change Warren Buffetts quality of life.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
phantasms:

Well said. Think Big. As I said in my first post. Some people have more money than they could possibly spend in a life time.

To the poster that asked if I read the news or watched television, the answer would be yes. I am also in the market and took a hit just like everyone did last week. I doubt very seriously that the poor economic conditions of late will change Warren Buffetts quality of life.
If you know anything about Warren Buffett, you know he would NEVER buy a ZR1. He would NEVER pay over MSRP for a depreciating asset. I doubt he even buys new cars at all, and if he does, he leases them in Berkshire's name for tax purposes. For god sakes, he flys coach and stays in Holiday Inns' when he travels! If we all lived as frugally as Buffett, the country would not be in it's current economic state.

Get notified of new replies

To I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1

Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Yellohh:

I am aware that Buffett is frugal. I was just making a statement that he has more money than most of us could possibly spend in a lifetime. How many ZR1 vettes could he have bought with what his portfolio dropped lasted week? 1000, 5000, 10000? Think Big man.

Last edited by TexasMadMan; 09-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by YELLOHHH
If you know anything about Warren Buffett, you know he would NEVER buy a ZR1. He would NEVER pay over MSRP for a depreciating asset. I doubt he even buys new cars at all, and if he does, he leases them in Berkshire's name for tax purposes. For god sakes, he flys coach and stays in Holiday Inns' when he travels! If we all lived as frugally as Buffett, the country would not be in it's current economic state.
I've never seen someone miss the point as well as you just managed to. Excellent work.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
michaelsfxr
Instructor

Being able to afford a ZR1 is one thing, hell I could afford 1 easy. But having enough money to pay $50,000 over is another level. If anyone of us was at that level we would be out getting ours. This seems to be a problem in America, jealousy!!! Why can't people just say something positive about the people fortunate enough to get one of these fine American made automobiles.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1