Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 PM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
But they may occasionally might splurge and pay more for something that they really want.
that they do....but when they spend $1 they get $1.10 worth of "value" very seldom the other way around
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is true, but I will bet that Bill Gates, or Donald Trump or other very wealthy people would not pay a mark-up.

That's just my opinion.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
HoleInOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BadboyZ06
That is true, but I will bet that Bill Gates, or Donald Trump or other very wealthy people would not pay a mark-up.

That's just my opinion.
Depends on what they were buying. I bet if they wanted a car to outrun their buddy....they would pay whatever. A business deal...different story. They are very competative.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Cornfed
Pro

Originally Posted by BadboyZ06

That's just my opinion.

Bill Gates and Donald Trump not splurging....Thats funny.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 AM
yellerz51
Pro

It comes down to this...

Look at what happened to the Ford GT. I plucked this from the Wikipedia site:

As with many highly desirable new vehicles, when the Ford GT was first released, the demand severely outpaced supply, and the cars initially sold for premium prices. The first private sale of Ford's new mid-engine sports car was completed on August 4, 2004, when former Microsoft executive Jon Shirley took delivery of his Midnight Blue 2005 Ford GT.[1] Shirley earned the right to purchase the first production Ford GT (chassis #10) at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Auction after bidding over $557,000.[2] Jay Leno, host of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, took possession of his private sale Red 2005 GT (chassis #12) a week later.[3]
Other early cars sold for as much as a $100,000 premium over the suggested retail price of $139,995.[4] Optional equipment available included a McIntosh sound system, racing stripes and forged alloy wheels adding an additional $13,500 to the MSRP.[5] By June 2005, retail sale prices had dropped to around $10,000 to $20,000 over MSRP, and in August 2005 several new GTs were sold on eBay for no more than the suggested retail price.
The production run of 4038 GT's ended with the 2006 model year on 21 September 2006, short of the originally planned 4500.[6] The Wixom Assembly Plant has stopped production of all models as of May 31, 2007.[7] Sales of the GT continued into 2007, from cars held in storage and in dealer inventories.

Now do a search for used FORD GT's. They still fetch a good buck. Also you can see that the "rich guys" that paid over sticker are not dumping them into the marketplace for way under sticker, it never happened. Most of the asking prices are in the 150-160 + range which is at or over there MSRP. Sure you may be able to find a deal but nothing great.

Everyone is comparing the ZR1 with the ZO6 but I think it's closer to the Ford GT. The Z06 is a standard production model, it's not limited. The ZR1 is a limited model, this is what the premium is actually justified for.

Also this car can not be compared to the old ZR1. That car was eclipsed in performance internally within GM as well as externally rather quickly.

I think that the only things that could change this model are the economic conditions and the release of an even better model.

If the world has a complete collapse then all bets are off. The fact is that if that happens then all the guys waiting for the cars to go at or under MSRP probably won't be in the market anyway. In the grand scheme of things a couple thousand cars is not allot for a market to absorb even if the economy is slow.

Chevy releasing a better model.. I doubt it will be anytime soon. More than likely technology from the ZR1 will trickle down to the standard and Z06 vette and possibly the Camaro. GM's engineering dollars are not going to be directed at an even higher performance car for the foreseeable future, they have better things to spend the money on.

I could be wrong...

Last edited by yellerz51; 09-24-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 AM
KAMZ
Instructor

U guys r talking bout super rich, bill gates, trump, buffet, etc etc....
this is a known fact....small time millionares are a dime a dozen....they fade in and out every few yrs....they will def buy anything over msrp. aND they r more likely to squander thier wealth pretty easily.

then there r the successful millionares and billionares...who stay that way throughout thier lifetime....majority of them ( again a fact ) keep track of thier money every hour and will never pay more for anything thats not worth it. Thats how they got thier status in the first place.

K

ps, if i have an itch to 'squander' wealth or extra dimes, i will set up a college fund for a poor kid or help a poor family buy a house or something...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phantasms
Guys check this out.

You know that the very top round lit up part of the Bellagio in LV is a room?

I had a buddy that stayed there for a few nights when I was in town for the Ferrari Challenge. It costs $25k per night. It's always booked. Are these people chumps because they spend a ton of money on something of no real value? I'm certain there are people just as wealthy out there that would rather have the feeling of being one of the first on the block with a ZR1 then just spend two nights in that suite. It's all relative. We're not talking about people that make a million a year here. We're talking about people that make hundreds of millions a year. If they were growing up and their dad was a huge Corvette guy and now they're a huge corvette guy and they see this ZR1 they're going to say get me that. I have no problems with dealers charging a ton to those people right now. It hasn't exactly been a good time to be a Chevy dealer as of late. Let them have their cake and eat it too because it's not going to last. I too suspect this car will fall to MSRP quicker than the Z06 did.

p.s. I'm glad the moderator said he's going to ban those people that keep talking about dealers putting emblems on the cars. Who gives a ****? I mean come on.

There are some real cool people on this forum but an awful lot of ignorant pansies as well.

I can't wait till this section is actually about the ZR1 again...not the price, or the viper, or the gtr, or the dealer that made you cry, or the z06.
We gonna ban people who (see above):

* Use profanity? (overt TOS violation)

* Call fellow forum members 'pansies' (overt TOS violation)

* Are bowled over and impressed with wretched wasteful excess?

But you want 'em banned for mentioning emblems? Good luck with that.

Another member added to my ignore list.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TrackNoob

Another member added to my ignore list.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
2009BLKZR1
4th Gear

Well, I for one am tired of the whining about how stupid everyone is for paying over MSRP. Look I think that maybe everybody that is kicking and screaming thinks that if there were nobody that was willing to pay over MSRP, then they themselves would be able to go out and buy a ZR1 at MSRP. I think there may even be others that know they could not afford one even at MSRP, but may think that maybe if nobody was willing to pay MSRP they could negotiate a new ZR1 at whatever price they could afford.

Do you guys really believe that the people that are willing to pay over MSRP really want to pay over MSRP? If the people that are ACTUALLY purchasing ZR1’s right now could get them at MSRP, I am certain every one, would. If they did not pay more than MSRP, they would still be the first ones getting ZR1’s so for those that think if the cars were going for MSRP, they would have one, I think you are mistaken. It is not like anybody is taking anything from you and it is not like anybody is spending your money, so why get so worried about it?
I just don’t get it. What exactly is it to you? Why does everybody get upset at people that they don’t know or care about?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Cornfed
Pro

It's simple

They are drinking

And Eating

Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
I just spent about an hour reading posts about how anyone that pays over MSRP for a ZR1 is nuts, crazy, insane, and several other adjectives.

The problem is many people just can't think BIG. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if money was no object. It is an object though.

$25k, $50k, or $75k is chump change to many people in this country. That's walkin' around change to Hollywood, Wallstreeters, pro athletes and Corporate heads.

I submit if you had more money that you would spend in a lifetime, you'd be first in line to pony up for the status alone and be happy to brag about what you paid. I know I would.

Think big boys. To some people $175k is nothing.
Worthless thread (IMO)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot Z06:

You have your opinion....I have mine. Plenty of people before you have responded to this "worthless thread". Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 AM
OilMaggott
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yellerz51
It comes down to this...

Look at what happened to the Ford GT. I plucked this from the Wikipedia site:

As with many highly desirable new vehicles, when the Ford GT was first released, the demand severely outpaced supply, and the cars initially sold for premium prices. The first private sale of Ford's new mid-engine sports car was completed on August 4, 2004, when former Microsoft executive Jon Shirley took delivery of his Midnight Blue 2005 Ford GT.[1] Shirley earned the right to purchase the first production Ford GT (chassis #10) at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Auction after bidding over $557,000.[2] Jay Leno, host of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, took possession of his private sale Red 2005 GT (chassis #12) a week later.[3]
Other early cars sold for as much as a $100,000 premium over the suggested retail price of $139,995.[4] Optional equipment available included a McIntosh sound system, racing stripes and forged alloy wheels adding an additional $13,500 to the MSRP.[5] By June 2005, retail sale prices had dropped to around $10,000 to $20,000 over MSRP, and in August 2005 several new GTs were sold on eBay for no more than the suggested retail price.
The production run of 4038 GT's ended with the 2006 model year on 21 September 2006, short of the originally planned 4500.[6] The Wixom Assembly Plant has stopped production of all models as of May 31, 2007.[7] Sales of the GT continued into 2007, from cars held in storage and in dealer inventories.

Now do a search for used FORD GT's. They still fetch a good buck. Also you can see that the "rich guys" that paid over sticker are not dumping them into the marketplace for way under sticker, it never happened. Most of the asking prices are in the 150-160 + range which is at or over there MSRP. Sure you may be able to find a deal but nothing great.

Everyone is comparing the ZR1 with the ZO6 but I think it's closer to the Ford GT. The Z06 is a standard production model, it's not limited. The ZR1 is a limited model, this is what the premium is actually justified for.

Also this car can not be compared to the old ZR1. That car was eclipsed in performance internally within GM as well as externally rather quickly.

I think that the only things that could change this model are the economic conditions and the release of an even better model.

If the world has a complete collapse then all bets are off. The fact is that if that happens then all the guys waiting for the cars to go at or under MSRP probably won't be in the market anyway. In the grand scheme of things a couple thousand cars is not allot for a market to absorb even if the economy is slow.

Chevy releasing a better model.. I doubt it will be anytime soon. More than likely technology from the ZR1 will trickle down to the standard and Z06 vette and possibly the Camaro. GM's engineering dollars are not going to be directed at an even higher performance car for the foreseeable future, they have better things to spend the money on.

I could be wrong...
You get it....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

ok stud i have a zr1 loaded with everything but it has painted wheels for you at 50 over - in fact i have two setting on showroom floors RIGHT NOW BRAND NEW. let me know if you wanna put up or shut...

i have them available right now. mb
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the guy who paid $1,000,000.00 for the First ZR-1, as Bugs Bunny would say: What a Maroon!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:09 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

We have a local guy here who has quite a collection of war toys... when I say war toys I mean real military trucks, tanks of all kinds, jeeps, transports, half track vehicles, missile carriers, half track motorcycles. WW2, through to modern day stuff. All of them are rebuilt and look like they just rolled off the assembly line. One large building after another just full of these vehicles. His collection is still growing. Quite a hobby I would say.

I bet he would have no problem buying a ZR1 at $50K over sticker if he wanted one.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Bmore30
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
If you pay an exorbitant amount you are one thing Imho, a CHUMP!!!, regardless of income or net worth. Plenty of us on here can afford a ZR1, even at some of the quoted "premiums", we just are not foolish or desperate enough to even think about paying them.
NEWSFLASH:

Many people think Corvettes owners are chumps. Why pay >50k for any car when a hybrid camry will get you from point A-B just the same. It is all about your priorities. Noone needs to pay over MSRP for a ZR-1. It is a luxury item, just the same as any corvette. In the end the only real chumps are those that stretch their finances to afford it.
Being able to afford/finance a ZR-1 with a premium after doing some soul searching and not blinking about a 50k premium are two entirely different things.

Get notified of new replies

To I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1

Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
We have a local guy here who has quite a collection of war toys... when I say war toys I mean real military trucks, tanks of all kinds, jeeps, transports, half track vehicles, missile carriers, half track motorcycles. WW2, through to modern day stuff. All of them are rebuilt and look like they just rolled off the assembly line. One large building after another just full of these vehicles. His collection is still growing. Quite a hobby I would say.

I bet he would have no problem buying a ZR1 at $50K over sticker if he wanted one.
Very cool! I can picture it now.... here's my Sherman, my Panther, my T-34, and my ZR1!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by yellerz51

If the world has a complete collapse then all bets are off. The fact is

I could be wrong...
The ZR1 is not a limited model, dont buy into that ploy, GM said that with the Z06 , the ZR1 is just another option for corvette owners, they will build as many as they can sell. Also the ZR1 technology isnt all that technical, its motor is based off the base model, actually most of the car is based off both the base/Z06. When you see a Fort GT, do you mistake it for a Mustang?, it is its own car, nobody from 20 feet away will be able to tell the difference on which model vette they are seeing. Why not compare it to the 90's ZR-1?, yes it has more bolt-on parts, and performs better, but that is technology advancing with time, even with that, can you honestly say that the LS9 is more advanced than the LT5? The 09 Zr1 has already been beat badly by a car that is less expensive and more exotic on the course, it was beat before it was even released to the public, so in some performance areas it has been eclipsed faster than the 90 ZR-1 was. Dont think that this car will be Chevys end of the line best performer, there will always be the next latest and greatest.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The ZR1 is not a limited model, dont buy into that ploy, GM said that with the Z06 , the ZR1 is just another option for corvette owners, they will build as many as they can sell. Also the ZR1 technology isnt all that technical, its motor is based off the base model, actually most of the car is based off both the base/Z06. When you see a Fort GT, do you mistake it for a Mustang?, it is its own car, nobody from 20 feet away will be able to tell the difference on which model vette they are seeing. Why not compare it to the 90's ZR-1?, yes it has more bolt-on parts, and performs better, but that is technology advancing with time, even with that, can you honestly say that the LS9 is more advanced than the LT5? The 09 Zr1 has already been beat badly by a car that is less expensive and more exotic on the course, it was beat before it was even released to the public, so in some performance areas it has been eclipsed faster than the 90 ZR-1 was. Dont think that this car will be Chevys end of the line best performer, there will always be the next latest and greatest.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] I'd Pay $50k Over MSRP For New ZR1