Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Who Believes They Can Handle This Much Power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Caterpillar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo62

try this @WOT 800+hp 2400lbs

and the hardest driving I have ever done is still my 45HP shifter kart, more of a challenge than ANY street car

I am in love... Rat Rods Rule
Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM
SAMBALLS1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zo62

try this @WOT 800+hp 2400lbs

and the hardest driving I have ever done is still my 45HP shifter kart, more of a challenge than ANY street car
I agree with you.... That's the hardest driving I've done 125cc Birel Shifter Kart, 0-100 -and back down to 0 in about 9 secs
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
mbzboy
Advanced

Default Finally

Finally, this thread is getting people who have the time and grade to handle 638hp. Those with racing experience, those with time attached to the wheel of cars with crazy power.

Yes, we all agree that using your brain a lot and your right foot a little, (Little old Ladies from Pasadena) could handle this car. But, what is the point of buying a beast when you drive it like a kitten.

If this car is to be driven by those who will only achieve 4/10 or less, why spend the money, other than to be seen? Wouldn't it be more fun to drive a C6 at 7/10?

Again, this car would be wasted on me, I'm comfortable in the 400hp range. And from the post's it would be wasted on the majority of those on this board. Please note again, I'm not referring in anyway to the gentlemen with the fully automatic weapons.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Zo62
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caterpillar
I am in love... Rat Rods Rule

Gotta be careful with the "ratrod" term. It implies something is of "ratty" quality, you know "hey look at that ratty pc of sh#$!" thats where "rat rods" come from. Hotrod or traditional rod is more my taste!

No offense taken, I am just trying to educate. But yes its pretty cool whatever you call it. Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Zo62
Instructor

I would say I "try" to use WOT at least every other time I drive one of my cars.

I just can't help it....
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Trev_427Vette
Instructor

Karts will teach you plenty of control, no doubt. Even the low horsepower oval classes- so much is dependent upon momentum and smoothness. Open classes will definately school you on how to use the right foot as well.

Senna had it right when he talked about limits- he was a master at driving even above his head at times.

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."

"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitation, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me."

"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's."

Someone could learn a lot from simply watching him.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I warn everyone ahead of time for my ranting. Does it really matter? i just turned 20, got a 94 that a bearly scrounge the money together to get mods for it, and love to push the car to the limit. Honestly though its a vette. 95% of guys my age dont know anything about internals of Corvettes new or old other then the zo6. Doesnt really matter when it comes down to it though, I still got lucky, and smart enough, to buy a corvette. Weather z51, zo6, or zr1, its still a vette so yes, everyones gonna see it and say "look at that goin by", or "wow what a smug guy buying that slow thing". Other then those folks who are too wrapped up in their mustang or civic, i still get props and no mine is far from fastest thing out there. On other hand, is the zr1 too much to be not worth it? No not really. Even when i go looking for trouble some days, aint nothin lining up to me redlight to redlight for fear of cops so everything is a 40-120mph run. with the suspension and electronics on this thing its not going sideways at 40mph short of you dropping from 4th gear to 1st in a split second. At the same time nailing it from a launch everyday will get you killed point blank, im 20 and can say that with extreme confidence and would love someone of any age to try and argue that with me. So street racing, yeah thing will beat anything out there no harm no foul and whoever pulls on who is what counts. round a curvy road?!?!?!? who in gods name races another car around a curvy road. heck to some those are the numbers that really count, but to 90% of people out there its your timeslip. So yeah some need the extra 100 hp to beat other cars and i dont blame them(though short of 2 ferraris i havent seen anything well and beyond my class of car around here) Anybody that can afford this car and will floor it everyday, go buy a caddilac and save us the hassle of seeing a wrecked corvette and a dead body, nobody wants to see that. But if you've worked your way up and want a weekend toy you respect, why not, its a ferrari with a radio in it, only better. doesnt really matter though like i said, its a vette, nuff said.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:15 PM
NJ Torque
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
Try handeling a 1000+HP 1987 Buick brick with skinnies up front and try telling me 638 fwhp is a lot on a car that is like driving on rails.
Yup..... And the aerodynamics of a barn door.

(86 and 87 GN owner here)
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Rocketship3
Instructor

Location: Mooresville NC "Race City USA" All Vette's should be sticks

With something like these high output cars you have to start out easy. After awhile you'll be wanting more power, but no matter what, you have to respect that power and NEVER get over confident.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I warn everyone ahead of time for my ranting. Does it really matter? i just turned 20, got a 94 that a bearly scrounge the money together to get mods for it, and love to push the car to the limit. Honestly though its a vette. 95% of guys my age dont know anything about internals of Corvettes new or old other then the zo6. Doesnt really matter when it comes down to it though, I still got lucky, and smart enough, to buy a corvette. Weather z51, zo6, or zr1, its still a vette so yes, everyones gonna see it and say "look at that goin by", or "wow what a smug guy buying that slow thing". Other then those folks who are too wrapped up in their mustang or civic, i still get props and no mine is far from fastest thing out there. On other hand, is the zr1 too much to be not worth it? No not really. Even when i go looking for trouble some days, aint nothin lining up to me redlight to redlight for fear of cops so everything is a 40-120mph run. with the suspension and electronics on this thing its not going sideways at 40mph short of you dropping from 4th gear to 1st in a split second. At the same time nailing it from a launch everyday will get you killed point blank, im 20 and can say that with extreme confidence and would love someone of any age to try and argue that with me. So street racing, yeah thing will beat anything out there no harm no foul and whoever pulls on who is what counts. round a curvy road?!?!?!? who in gods name races another car around a curvy road. heck to some those are the numbers that really count, but to 90% of people out there its your timeslip. So yeah some need the extra 100 hp to beat other cars and i dont blame them(though short of 2 ferraris i havent seen anything well and beyond my class of car around here) Anybody that can afford this car and will floor it everyday, go buy a caddilac and save us the hassle of seeing a wrecked corvette and a dead body, nobody wants to see that. But if you've worked your way up and want a weekend toy you respect, why not, its a ferrari with a radio in it, only better. doesnt really matter though like i said, its a vette, nuff said.
The only thing I would argue with you is that your English teachers failed miserably...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-27-2008, 07:55 PM
snowmanmdp
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 66 chevelle with a 540 with 950 horsepower(Manual steering) so I'm sure I could handle a ZR1 with all the engineering that went into it.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
Your right foot can handle what your brain tells it to. I got in more trouble when I was 18 with 120 HP then I have with over 500 3 times that age.

TRR
Bingo...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

This will be a simple answer - if you think you can't , you better not try...

With an electronic mother aboard making sure that you don't spinn the wheels and all of the pillows that will pop out when you do, this should be a pretty gentle experience. How about 525 hp, no ABS, no airbags, no traction/yaw control, 2260 pounds and a 90 inch wheelbase? That is a difficult car to drive indeed and yet Tintin has mastered it:

If an old guy such as myself can do it, everyone should be able to. On the other hand , I didn't get this old by not having any driving skills or patience...

The photo shows us in turns, when the track straightens, the other cars magically disappear...

Last edited by Tintin; 07-27-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
fedaricko01
Racer

Hmm.... Lets see..

638 Horsepower + 16 Year Old (Me!!!) =
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

With practice I could.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
09C6ZR1
Racer

Default real interesting subject

I'm 61.....Got a 69 leftover 350/350 when I got out of the service and a year later got a 68. I coached shi racing for over 35 years with some great results with young atheletes......3 made our US National team and many did well in the Junior Olympics and State Championships...
Try showing a young athelete how to shave 100ths off their time onna 75mph 70 degree slope with rolls and bumps in flat light..........you don't do it on a chalk board..you have to get out there in a tuck and have them follow you...It seamed to me to be a natural thing to do because I had been doing it for my entire life.....Not so any longer for many reasons but that doesn't mean that I can't apreciate a hand made limited edition of racing stock skiis from some of the manufacturers even when skied slowly...they have an unmistakable feeling.....
I am suposed to take delivery of my ZR1 in the third week of August at the museum....It should be interesting seing how the aproximate 55 miles per hour break in period of 500 miles (so I've read in this forum) will be on my 1000 mile return to home...
In ANY case....I am sure my biggest grinzzz n' gigglezzz will be from watching the people pass me shaking their fists at me because I am driving at least 5mph under the posted limit...........
WHY am I buying a ZR1????????????????

because I can..
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 AM
09C6ZR1
Racer

by the way......^5 to the brother of the sword with the full auto selector lever......may your magazines remain full..............

Get notified of new replies

To Who Believes They Can Handle This Much Power?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did OK with my 704 RWHP Whipple Ford GT. Like so many have said here, a brain is a good thing, even better when put to good use.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 AM
Bullet Catcher
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mbzboy
638 HP in a car, with a driver that isn't skilled is a formula for disaster.

So, who believes that they can handlie this monster horsepower? Tell us what has qualified you to handle this car, driving schools, racing, whatever. Just for grins, tell us your age as well.

I'm 58, I've raced Miata's, been to several racing schools, I own a turbo Miata, 360 Modena and my C6 with 430HP is all I feel that I can handle.

I didn't order a Z06 because I felt that 505HP was more than I was comfortable controlling. Guess my comfort zone is the 400HP range.

PS. Lets also limit this to folks that have either ordered a car or plan on having one in the next several years.

I have an 07 Honda S2000 and an 07 Z06, can drive the S2000 at full blast on the local race track and have a whale of a time.
Then I take the Z06 out and it's a whole other kettle of fish, after about 20 minutes I'm soaked to the skin and my nerves are just singing, time to get it off the track, else we might some concrete on the car ... .
Both cars are excellent, just the level of intensity is way up there in the Z06.
Do I need a ZR1?? probably not, might buy a used one some day just to see though.

Bullet Catcher
Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've survived 500+ HP muscle cars with no incident (and those were in my wreakless party days.) Handling 600+ HP on an amazing chassis, with state of the art suspension, and killer brakes should be a breeze if you use your brain.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Who Believes They Can Handle This Much Power?