Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 Z06 Power Hatch Pull Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Power hatch... no thanks. Just leave a door slightly open and the trunk closes easily! No wonder the Z has been gaining weight since '06.... soon it will be at 3300.....
Old 09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Another 09 Z06 owner that can confirm the hatch auto latch feature.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Power hatch... no thanks. Just leave a door slightly open and the trunk closes easily! No wonder the Z has been gaining weight since '06.... soon it will be at 3300.....
No kidding. It should have lost weight not gained. Everyone needs to go drive a 360 Stradale or a 430 SCuderia to really know what a hot rod version of your sports car should be. They are simply heaven to drive due to the stripped out nature of the car. Raw and so much fun.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
No kidding. It should have lost weight not gained. Everyone needs to go drive a 360 Stradale or a 430 SCuderia to really know what a hot rod version of your sports car should be. They are simply heaven to drive due to the stripped out nature of the car. Raw and so much fun.
Ahhh yes, if only we could afford a 200,000 car

Lets be honest, the typical Z06 buyers wants it all - performance and livability as a every day car - I know I do. For those who don't, there are options....the Viper is the best example that has similar performance but far less amenities. Oddly, the Viper is not doing well sales wise. Why? Limited market for such a crude car. Therein lies the answer.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Ahhh yes, if only we could afford a 200,000 car

Lets be honest, the typical Z06 buyers wants it all - performance and livability as a every day car - I know I do. For those who don't, there are options....the Viper is the best example that has similar performance but far less amenities. Oddly, the Viper is not doing well sales wise. Why? Limited market for such a crude car. Therein lies the answer.
Yeah that's because Vipers aren't liveable on a daily basis. 430/360 CS both are.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here's a video of the auto pull down latch I retro-fitted to my '06 Z06:

This is a really great addition to my Z06 and I'm glad to see they are now putting it on the 2009's.

Bob
Old 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmzvet
What's next? A full power down hatch like a mini van or Escalade .
Don't knock it - we got that on the wife's Honda Odyssey and the back of our minivan is always clean, while the people with the standard model always have hand-prints on the back of theirs... It definitely keeps the vehicle cleaner looking.

I don't see why people are knocking this though. I have an 07 so obviously it doesn't matter to me, but adding when they could seems like a good move.

I think the resistance to improvements is one of the reasons the Corvette has one of the worse NAV units made and one of the more marginal radio units of any car in its class. We should encourage improvements that do not harm the overall weight/performance of the car.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 355Spider
No kidding. Some of you guys make me laugh. But I guess to each his own. But for me I will take the no carpet, no radio, no sound deadening, no power anything of the 360/430 Stradale. Z06s already have way too many comforts. Boggles my mind why you make a Z06/ZR1 and ruin it by not stripping it. Even Porsche/Ferrari know this.
THAT makes me laugh! Seems like the answer would be to make a 1LZ with 2006 level trim for those who order strippers and the 3LZ could have all the options for people who don't mind giving up a tenth or two for a couple hundred pounds of goodies.

Perhaps the 2LZ could have some of the goodies optionable, although I doubt it since that seems to be too much trouble for carmakers these days.

Then both sides could be happy.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yeah....back in the early 60's I had a Porsche Speedster with nothing (NOTHING) but seats, and some pedals, a steering wheel, and a gear shift to hook to the operating part of the machine.

There was no top, the heater ducts weren't hooked up (they didn't work too good even when they were) and I had a 6 inch high piece of plexiglass for a windscreen. It was cold in winter, wet when it rained, but it was a pure sport car.

Now my Z06 is a GT car. When I go on a road trip I want comfort along with my performance. I drive my car to the track and enjoy the fairly nice audio system, the Nav system, the air conditioning, and the power seats.

I do HPDE's, not W2W racing, so I'm not looking for an extra tenth from every segment on the track, so I'm not worried about a few extra pounds for convenience and comfort amenities. I have an '05 coupe with all the stuff on it, and there are a few things I really missed on the Z06.

So.....I've ADDED weight to my Z06. I put in C6 seats that give me adjustable bolsters and lumbar support, and full power position adjustment on my wife's seat.

I drive my Z06 every day and I found closing the hatch to be a real PITA compared to my '05 with the pull down latch.

So....I added 3 more pounds of weight recently by doing the auto pull down latch mod, and I love it.

I drive the hell out of my Z06 - on the track, around town, and on road trips. Mine is a GT car, not an all out race car, so I want a few nice to have convenience items. The pull down latch is one of them, so I added it. There are many of us who like it - that's the only reason it's now standard on the '09 Z06.

Anybody with a 2009 Z06 that wants to lose 3 pounds of weight, I'll swap you straight up my manual latch for your pull down latch.

Bob
But clearly there are two types of Z owners; those who likes cars because of their performance features alone, and those who likes both performance and comfort. Trying to convince one type to agree with the other when it comes to their personal preference, is like trying to convince a Republican to vote Democrat, or vice versa. So for me, there is no point in arguing over this issue.

I'll go one step further from Bob's (BEZ06) offer for those who owns an 09 Z06 who wants to loose weight from their car by swapping a manual hatch pull down. I'll swap with yours and I'll pay you $250 for your troubles If interested, PM me and we'll work out the details.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
camille
Racer

Yep, it's there on my '09 Cyber Gray with Chrome Spider wheels. But I keep doing it the old way - door ajar, let it drop - that I got used to on my '06.

Here's what I find annoying - the little pull down handle on the right edge of the rear hatch is now absent. There's just a hollowed out space where the handle used to be.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Sorry, but Zora must be turning over in his grave. Power-freakin'-hatch on a Z06?
this is a 500hp sports car not a cadillac, are you guys all 90 years old? just push the damn thing down with some force Seems kind of girly man to me, do you guys want tampon dispensers with your "power hatch" , I cant believe there is a post on this
Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
this is a 500hp sports car not a cadillac, are you guys all 90 years old? just push the damn thing down with some force Seems kind of girly man to me, do you guys want tampon dispensers with your "power hatch" , I cant believe there is a post on this
Ahh, tolerance on the internets - such a rare thing!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by camille
.....Here's what I find annoying - the little pull down handle on the right edge of the rear hatch is now absent. There's just a hollowed out space where the handle used to be.
Yeah, but I guess the minimalists would be happy with that weight saving!

Here's a video I took before I started the auto pull down latch mod, and I noted that pull down handle on my '06 Z06.

For those of you that don't know what we're talking about, you can view just the first few seconds of the video to see the handle that is missing on all the later year models of the C6.

I guess you could get that little piece and screw it on.

Bob

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
JetsRUs
Intermediate

2009 Coupe--From the Owner Manual--Closing the Rear Compartment
"To close the rear compartment lid of your coupe, pull down on the rear edge of the lid. Lower it until the power pull down latch feature activates and it will close the rest of the way and latch automatically."

My 2009 rear hatch does not behave as described in the manual. I have to fidget with the hatch to get the auto latching feature to engage. Is there a technique that I'm missing? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Sorry, but Zora must be turning over in his grave. Power-freakin'-hatch on a Z06?

Not to long after Zora came on board, the Corvette(1956) added roll up widows, and then, of all horrors, they offered a power window option, that the early (53 thru 55)Corvettes didn't. Maybe even Zora realized that you can't race a car that isn't built, and you can't build a car that dosen't sell to the general public. Some one has to pay the bills(and Zora's salary).
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I just took delivery and I will confirm the power pull down on the 2009 Vettes.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, but I guess the minimalists would be happy with that weight saving!

Here's a video I took before I started the auto pull down latch mod, and I noted that pull down handle on my '06 Z06.

Bob
GREAT Video. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06 Power Hatch Pull Down

Old 11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JetsRUs
2009 Coupe--From the Owner Manual--Closing the Rear Compartment
"To close the rear compartment lid of your coupe, pull down on the rear edge of the lid. Lower it until the power pull down latch feature activates and it will close the rest of the way and latch automatically."

My 2009 rear hatch does not behave as described in the manual. I have to fidget with the hatch to get the auto latching feature to engage. Is there a technique that I'm missing? Thanks.
If you have a door open or window down, the pull down feature won't even come into play - the hatch will close down into the latch with no need for the pull down feature to do its thing.

If, however, you have the doors and windows closed, there's basically 2 ways to have the pull down latch do its thing.
  • Drop the hatch from about a foot or 18 inches and the air trapped in the car will cushion the hatch and stop it from banging down and closing - so the pull down feature will grab the striker and pull the hatch closed.

• Gently close the hatch lid so the striker is resting on the latch, then push down on the lid - as you push down the pull down feature should grab ahold and pull the lid firmly closed.

I prefer to just drop the hatch lid so I don't have to lean on it and put hand prints all over it.

Bob
Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 198 Likes on 122 Posts

Here's a video of the auto pull down latch I retro-fitted to my '06 Z06:

This is a really great addition to my Z06 and I'm glad to see they are now putting it on the 2009's.

Bob
Nice job Bob...

What did the parts run you?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a bunch of added weight to me

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 Z06 Power Hatch Pull Down