Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 production raised from 2000 to UNLIMITED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
...I am saying that dealerships might be better off developing return customers rather than make an extraordinary profit selling a one off car. Many more people buy a basic Chevrolet than a $100,000 car. As someone who made a few dollars, it just makes sense to develop a strong customer base that passes up the other guy on his way to your store. Best
Do you think that Vette owners are going to resolve GM car quality problems, they only want the beast (Vette)? Got to make a quality product, not a poor quality poor fitting auto, why buy GM? If GM was good, why so much warranty problems?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Pruettfan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has a tremendous customer base for the Corvette. How many other cars in the world have museums dedicated to them? Corvette has survived many decades and has evolved in a way that keeps it relevent and exceptional in terms of performance and styling. As far as complaints about quality the data simply does not support the statement that there are quality problems. Are the cars perfect? No, you want perfection dig deeper into your wallet because in order to keep a car at a reasonable cost you have to live with some level of imperfection. This is however a delima for the ZR1, given its price it needs to have a much higher level of scrutiny then GM is used to. I think they will pull it off.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by 2ndZ06
I agree. They have stated publicly that supplier constraints will limit them to 2000 units per year. They have also stated that the first year will be less than the 2000 units. I'm sure it is taking time for suppliers and GM to ramp up. I am sure the carbon fiber pieces will be a big part of the constraint regarding suppliers. Remember the Z16 hood fiasco. They had a hard time getting enough hoods for those. They only built 2025 that year. Yes I know the Z06 has some CF parts and they have made progress in the last few years with suppliers making CF.

I can not believe that they will build as many as dealers want to order. They didn't even do that with Z06s during C5 or C6 generation. Dealers can only order as many Vettes as they are allocated and that applies to coupes, verts, and Z06s. It certainly will apply to ZR1s. That is why they sent out allocation letters so the dealers know what to expect so they can communicate that to their customers and only take orders for as many cars as they expect to get. At least that is what the honest dealers do.
GM never state less than 2000 units
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

I'll see Bob Lutz Tuesday, I'll ask him point blank.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
dmawd
Racer

Originally Posted by Joecooool
No, they will build them if they have orders for them. Big difference.
Everyone that wants one will get one. You think GM is going to turn someone down willing to write them a check for 125k? Production line capacity? The guy waitng on a base C6 order will take his turn in line behind all the ZR1 orders if this becomes an issue.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by dmawd
Everyone that wants one will get one. You think GM is going to turn someone down willing to write them a check for 125k? Production line capacity? The guy waitng on a base C6 order will take his turn in line behind all the ZR1 orders if this becomes an issue.
HELL YEAH

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmawd
Production line capacity?
GM has stated that the restriction is due to supplier limitations, as others have said, namely CF parts. If they increase production beyond 2000, it's not because they changed their mind, it's because they were able to convince their suppliers to ramp up at a cost that GM likes.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still suprised no one has confirmation either way on this. I am leaning towards them just building the allocation that they sent to their dealers and IF they can fit more down the line they will. I would not count on that promise to lower any of the dealer mark ups though. Can't a saleman on the board with no alloction try to enter in an order and see what happens? If I were a slaesman I woul dhave done that the second after reading the thread.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM
c5-pewter
c5-pewter
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Joecooool
GM is in the toilet. I assure all of you they will build as many of their hottest cars they can. Thats basic economics.

Any of you who think they they are going to limit production so the dealers can screw us is nuts. GM has no interest in high dealer profits at corporate expense.
Don't have sufficient sources to claim that GM is in the toilet. However, I agree with the rest of the statement. Alas, it is a Corporation's obligation, to its shareholders, to function in its own self interest, and to "Maximize" its own profits. Expect GM to do what's best for GM - as it should be!
GRT

No, I do not own GM stock, but I'm a rabid capitalist.

Last edited by c5-pewter; 06-22-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
c5-pewter
c5-pewter
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I have been saying that from day one, they just wanted to create a buzz, people are in such denial if they think any company is going to not take more money from the consumer if they have the chance. They produce over 40 thousand Corvettes/ year, regardless of how great the Zr1, and the Z06 perform, in all late model Corvette's there is no such thing as rarity, look at what happened to the original ZR-1, which I consider to be a much more rare car(they can be had in the 20k range), just for the Fact that the LT5, was a completely different engine(Lotus), 3 year old C6 Z06's can now be had in the high 40's. There is no doubt the new ZR1 is a beast, the trap speeds alone are good for 10's, the top speed is awesome, around a course is its weakest point, but it will still shine(read the new corvette quarterly). Fact but still is a corvette using a hopped up version of the base motor, Z06 chassis, and aftermarket bolt-ons, its not very original, I will still buy one however, but I'll wait a few years, when it can be had in the 60k range. The days of rare corvettes are over, lets drive the hell out of them, and whip all the Euro cars, with good old American muscle.

Right on! Couldn't agree more! GRT
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Hot Z06
Pro

Do you really think that the ZR1 will EVER be in the 60K range..SUPERCAR
Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
aTX427

Business 101 - produce products what makes you money and stop producing products that do not make money. GM would be crazy not to increase the production of a high demand - high margin unit at the sacrafice of a high volume - low margin unit. GM doesn't see a penny of the "market adjustment". For those of you familiar with tooling / manufacturing, your price per unit decreases the more units you manufacture, up to the point you have to add tooling or remanufacture the tooling. If I was a GM supplier in a downturned market, bet your a$$ I would increase production to sell more units, thus decrease your cost per unit and increase margin.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Hot Z06
Well sure. Zr1's from the 1990's were $60K + cars, now you can buy one in good shape for about $25K. That $60K in 1990 dollars is probably about $90K in today's dollars. So basically you can buy one for about 1/4th of the cost adjusted for inflation.

There is no reason to think that a mass produced car like the ZR1 can't be had for $60K in three years or so and probably about $30K in ten to fifteen.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i would think that in a few years used zr1's will be had for 60 to 70k. there will be way to many produced to be collector worthy....those who buy them to put them away for future value increase will get burned....those that drive them will enjoy them and take a big hit at resale time also...

it will depreciate in value as all late model vettes do.....
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

This reminds me of the 07 Shelby GT500s. "Limited", "Rare", "Exclusive", huge ADMs ferociously defended by retailers and the enthusiasts. Initial production was 3-5 thousand units increased and strictly limited @ 7,000. Couldn't possibly build more than that according to the ADM drumbeaters. Nearly 11,000 units were made available for 07! It must have been a miracle.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 AM
LloydP
Racer

Originally Posted by RubyZR1
With crude oil near $140US/Barrel, the price of ULP here in Oz is $1.67AUS p/litre or $7.58AUS p/gallon. That's about $7.20US p/gallon with an exchange rate of $1.00AUS = $0.95US.

FWIW diesel is $1.86AUS p/litre or $8.44AUS p/gallon = $8.02US p/gallon.

What perceived impact; if any, do you think there will be upon the demand for the Corvette ZR1 "if" the price of crude oil continues its upward price spirals?

Regards from across the pond.
G'day: I don't see the price of crude having any effect on ZT1 sales. I want one. If the price goes to $10US/gal I don't care (for any Corvette related reasons), either with my current '06 or a new ZR1.

Cheers;
Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Wake Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
The z06 had open allocation and still had charges over MSRP, how much were they getting over MSRP for the z06 when it came out??
We were regulary quoted $10 K over MSRP last year at this time in Calif.
We ordered a loaded Z06 for $12K under MSPR in May.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
Still suprised no one has confirmation either way on this. I am leaning towards them just building the allocation that they sent to their dealers and IF they can fit more down the line they will. I would not count on that promise to lower any of the dealer mark ups though. Can't a saleman on the board with no alloction try to enter in an order and see what happens? If I were a slaesman I woul dhave done that the second after reading the thread.
My guess would be that even if an order was entered by a non-allocation dealer. the order would be rejected by GM or sit in perma-hold.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
2ndZ06
Racer

GM never state less than 2000 units
Tadge Juechter did at the C5/C6 Registry Bash at the NCM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 production raised from 2000 to UNLIMITED!