Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Performance Numbersa Announced

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
My post was not about just one measure of performance. It also was not meant to compare it to the GTR. I wanted to compare it to the ZO6

The ZO6

3.7, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7.9
1/4 = 11 sec
Top speed, 198

The ZR1

3.4, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7 seconds
1/4 10.5? (One of you great drivers will hit that stock)
Top speed 205 -210

Those numbers are pretty close, but the gap in greenbacks is pretty far apart.

Is it worth it?

If by chance you were in your ZO6 and a ZR-1 rolled up along side of you, do you realize what that race would look like. Blurry close. If Ranger was driving his ZO6 he would more than likely win every time. To much emphasis is going into the cars hype and not the driver.

Onto the track. What did the ZO6 run? 7:42 or 7:40? with the base stock numbers being so close in all the performance measurements we have read about to date, I can't see this car knocking 15 seconds off the C6 ZO6 ring time. Can you?
Jan Magnuson said its in the 7.20's...He would probably know.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

My post was not about just one measure of performance. It also was not meant to compare it to the GTR. I wanted to compare it to the ZO6

The ZO6

3.7, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7.9
1/4 = 11 sec
Top speed, 198

The ZR1

3.4, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7 seconds
Top speed 205 -210

Is it worth it?

If by chance you were in your ZO6 and a ZR-1 rolled up along side of you, do you realize what that race would look like. Blurry close. If Ranger was driving his ZO6 he would more than likely win every time. To much emphasis is going into the cars hype and not the driver.

Onto the track. What did the ZO6 run? 7:42 or 7:40? with the base stock numbers being so close in all the performance measurements we have read about to date, I can't see this car knocking 15 seconds off the C6 ZO6 ring time. Can you?

.5 sec difference in a 1/4 mile drag race is a close blurr? Your joking right? That would be around 5 car lengths with a even start. Of course driver can make a difference, that is why a 800hp Supra can get its *** handed to it at the drag strip by a car with half the hp, but we are talking car comparison here.

Using the few published acceleration performance figures we have for the ZR1 to try and predict it Ring performance without considering all of its other improvements over the Z06 is just plain ..... incorrect. The tires alone could be worth 5 seconds (or more) on a track as long as the Ring. Not to mention the improved handeling, braking, and high speed aero over the Z06. Though the standing start acceleration figures of the ZR1 may somewhat close to the Z06, when you get it out on the roadcourse (where you don't have a traction limited start)the extra 130 hp will make a big difference getting out of the corners and down the straights. The guys who have driven the ZR1 on the roadcourse have said the ZR1 is to the Z06 as the Z06 is to the base C6. So to answer your question, yes I think the ZR1 can knock 15 seconds off the Z06 time at a track like the Ring.

Last edited by racerns; 06-18-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racerns
.5 sec difference in a 1/4 mile drag race is a close blurr? Your joking right? That would be around 5 car lengths with a even start. Of course driver can make a difference, that is why a 800hp Supra can get its *** handed to it at the drag strip by a car with half the hp, but we are talking car comparison here.

Using the few published acceleration performance figures we have for the ZR1 to try and predict it Ring performance without considering all of its other improvements over the Z06 is just plain ..... incorrect. The tires alone could be worth 5 seconds (or more) on a track as long as the Ring. Not to mention the improved handeling, braking, and high speed aero over the Z06. Though the standing start acceleration figures of the ZR1 may somewhat close to the Z06, when you get it out on the roadcourse (where you don't have a traction limited start)the extra 130 hp will make a big difference getting out of the corners and down the straights. The guys who have driven the ZR1 on the roadcourse have said the ZR1 is to the Z06 as the Z06 is to the base C6. So to answer your question, yes I think the ZR1 can knock 15 seconds off the Z06 time at a track like the Ring.
Please do not say anything about a Supras. It wasn't in the topic. And I like the supra. So please leave the car out of it. My thread wasn't bashing any car it was a money question.
400 hp beat an 800hp Supra, get real.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Jan Magnuson said its in the 7.20's...He would probably know.

Well when is he going to drive the car? Let's see some number's I'm as anxious as the rest of you.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

Well when is he going to drive the car? Let's see some number's I'm as anxious as the rest of you.
He has driven it...thats why he was confident it will be in the 7.20's on the Ring. Obviously he can't say anything specific about times because that's not up to him. Anyways...he said after driving the Z06 and ZR1 many times that the "ZR1 is to the Z06 what the Z06 was to the base C6"...Those were his words. I'm definitely anxious to hear the official times. I've thought it would be in the 7.20's from the beginning...we'll see.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Please do not say anything about a Supras. It wasn't in the topic. And I like the supra. So please leave the car out of it. My thread wasn't bashing any car it was a money question.
400 hp beat an 800hp Supra, get real.
It was an exzageration of your comparison of the ZR1 and Z06 that was a play on the 800hp Supra that only runs 12s joke. I have seen 800 hp Supras run some pretty crappy 1/4 mile times because they are hard to launch and drive and if you don't believe that there are some 400 hp cars out there that have run better than a poorly driven 800hp Supra then you need to get real. I too like Supras so it was not a bash at them.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

No problem. I like the Corvette. My next car may be a reg C6. But I just can't help the way I feel about the Supra. I had one for years, drove the wheels off it, put like 65,000 miles on it in 2.5 yrs. I liked it so much. But the C-16 is a PITA. Looking at your car I think you know how one can feel about a car. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
who said its having a hard time, where do you have proof of the 2 cars racing and one beating the other on the same day? I dont think you do and comparing ring times from 2 manufacturers on 2 different days with multiple variables is pure lunacy..

you want me to tell you

GT-R 7:29
New tarmac, New tires, More suspension mods after the first run, A driver who probably tested this exact car more than 1000 times and better tires than the ones on the Z06

Z06 7:42
Old Tarmac, we dont know if it was completely dry or what type of weather was there on the ring that day, really bad tires, a race driver who has barely driven on that circuit and tried to achieve a time in 4 laps with the older tarmac.

I am all for the GT-R's abilities but you havent seen both the cars being tested on a level playing field.. I am not saying Z06 will stomp the GT-R, surely GT-R has capabilities beyond its pure stats, but Z06 aint a small animal that GT-R just crushed and passed by, they are almost equals on the track with may be an edge to the GT-R in some cases, for much newer technology..it took Nissan 7 yrs to perfect this, it took GM probably 2-3 yrs..speaks volumes about both manufacturers..
Where are GM ring times for the ZR1?????
How much faster will the ZR1 be than the GTR with less weight and 150 more HP? I am not a GTR fan. I am on my 3rd Vette (08 Z06)and I think the GTR is butt ugly, but I do respect its performance and price and it will be compared DIRECTLY to the ZR1. and that is because of the bang for the buck. I am never going to run the ring and I may 1/4 mile it. The Z06 beats the GTR after 60mph. Also no excuses for testing. Not every car's ring times are in perfect weather, same temps, etc.

I second GN1270's thoughts!!!

Here here! AWD and small displacement with turbos all around. Heritage? what heritage does a 'vette have that godzilla doesn't?!

The more I see go go 09 GTR posts. The more I understand *real* skyline(read R32, 33, 34 and the many variants) owners. Too many fanboys, and now everyone with a big checkbook and no driving skill will be riding around in a car that many will mistake as a true Skyline and feel like superman.
And a Supercharger is OK heritage wise? Does not reek of GM just slapping a supercharger on a Z06? My point being is that it looks as if the Corvette could really benefit more with AWD than a supercharger slapped on especially because it could be an option on every Corvette.

As for the Vette not being a good 1/4 mile car, yea maybe not good if you are trying to be a professional driver, but a Z06 will hold its own at any red light in the country. I also see a ton of people at the drags with Vettes, and not as many on the twisties telling me more people are dragging the car than auto x'ing it. It can be made to launch with reliablity and consistency. How can a bone stock car that can run mid 11's in the 1/4 all day long not be considered a good drag car?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM
monaroCountry
Pro

GM isnt going to take a pre production test car like many other manufacturer for the test, they are taking a factory production car from the factory to the Nurburgring to do their time in. Obviously GM will release the ring time after production has started.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
As for the Vette not being a good 1/4 mile car, yea maybe not good if you are trying to be a professional driver, but a Z06 will hold its own at any red light in the country. I also see a ton of people at the drags with Vettes, and not as many on the twisties telling me more people are dragging the car than auto x'ing it. It can be made to launch with reliablity and consistency. How can a bone stock car that can run mid 11's in the 1/4 all day long not be considered a good drag car?
Sure a Z06 will do great at the drags but the point is that it's not a good bang for the buck for that purpose. You're paying for a lot of expensive stuff that you just don't need to accelerate for 11 seconds.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

Originally Posted by robvuk
Sure a Z06 will do great at the drags but the point is that it's not a good bang for the buck for that purpose. You're paying for a lot of expensive stuff that you just don't need to accelerate for 11 seconds.
Its a well rounded car that easy to drive on a daily basis...Has seat heaters and all the comforts including nav and will tear up not only the drags but also the racetrack. All that plus carbon ceramic brakes and lots of carbon fiber it a pretty sweet *** package IMO.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a well rounded car that easy to drive on a daily basis...Has seat heaters and all the comforts including nav and will tear up not only the drags but also the racetrack. All that plus carbon ceramic brakes and lots of carbon fiber it a pretty sweet *** package IMO.
Exactly. I've often wondered if they shouldn't make a Z06D. A drag version. Just put the ZR1 motor in it with a solid rear axle, skinny tires in front with 16" wheels on regular street brakes. It might be a big hit, I'm just guessing here.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
gm4life
Racer

Originally Posted by robvuk

If you want a drag car go buy a Chevette and stuff a BBC(other stuff) in it call it a day. Save yourself ummm $110,000 or so. The ZR1 is a great car for a guy that wants to put his foot in the Corvette Supercar market that has the best of all worlds. Buy a $100,000+ car take it to the dragstrip and get kicked off because you don't have a roll bar .
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the point is, the C6Z has UNBELIEVABLE drag racing capability for a car that was truly not intended for a drag strip. It launches straight line easily and can be coaxed to very low times, with little to no 1/4 mile seat time in the car. as in first pass ever for the car...and in crappy +1800 DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmjKNF47ZME
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

The ZO6

3.7, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7.9
1/4 = 11 sec
Top speed, 198

The ZR1

3.4, 0 to 60
0 to 100, 7 seconds
Top speed 205 -210

Is it worth it?

yeah apparently nissan can knock 10-11 secs with a V Spec off of the GT-R but ZR-1 cant, as is, the Z06 is a low 30s car(if not lower), the only reason GM wouldnt get the ZR-1 in 20s or even high 10s is because they are not there testing 1000s of laps to get the best lap..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, then just wait till the cars show up to tracks of all kinds and lay down some real enthusiast ran numbers.

Till then, it's bench racing at it's finest.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:05 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by GN1270
Yea because with our 200mph speed limits the 0-60 and 1/4 times are not that important.

Also people stop making the excuse that the Vette is RWD and not AWD> I do not want to bash the Vette but it seems that GM should have invested in AWD instead of a supercharger then especially if it is having problems beating a car around the ring with 150 less hp.
That would be a horrible idea. The Corvette is about being a sports car. Sports cars are small light two door RWD cars (Usually Red). By today's standards I'd say the Corvette fits the bill. It was intended to be a sports car from the start and command driver involvement. AWD would add to the complexity, make it a lot more heavy, and less responsive. I've already heard that the GTR is not that fun to drive, it's just too numb.

There is a reason why Porsche keeps the 911 rear engined despite it's obvious draw backs. Heritage. On top of that there is nothing like driving a rear engined 911 (literally).

As for the GTR being faster than the Z06... that's still up in the air.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Numbersa Announced

Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
christopher04z06
Instructor

I have to agree the Vette is an awesome RWD, driver involved, sports car. Its suspension, weight & balance, and power are superb. It's been refined well and deserves praise.

I do see GM missing AWD though. Maybe not the Vette but they should have another offering. Mitsubishi (Evo), Subaru (Sti), Nissan (GT-R), Audi, VW, Porsche, Saab (Aero-X), and more offer AWD. Now it looks like Honda is going to take SH-AWD to another level with the NSX proto running the 'ring. GM has done a good job in materials, weight, LSx motors, AH, but seems to have missed AWD. They also seem behind on DSG - reports now from Porsche indicate DSG could save serious sec's on 'Ring. As for Turbos, I love the 2L turbo in Cobalt-SS/Sky/Solstice - better late then never. They're not quite a MazdaSpeed3 fighter yet (Hatch) let alone Sti/EVO (AWD again).

In Colorado I'm constantly harrassed by these AWD Turbos. They lose less power (0-7%) at Altitude than NA does (~15%), they get more grip 8/12 months, and buy cheap boost controllers which worsens the deal. Ahh but on a warm day from a roll, I get em

Anyway, I love the Vette but feel GM, a big world player, has not invested in core technology or competencies like they should have. Behind on full-hybrid too (ok, a big Tahoe) but I applaud the Volt effort.

Love the Vette, dissapointed GM is behind in critical technical areas,

...Chris
Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

I would never buy an AWD vette. I would consider that a disgrace to the Corvette name just as many would consider the same of Ferrari made AWD models. Corvette and AWD just don't go. There is too much heritage and tradition. I'm sure Ferrari may be working on some kind of AWD system but I really doubt we'll be seeing much of it on their cars.

AWD is good on the street that's as far as it goes. There is a reason why in most cases AWD is not used in racing applications... its slower than RWD. Perhaps in the near future tire technology will make a leap making AWD street cars obsolete next to the high powered RWD cars. Hard to believe, I know.

GM has done great with the new suspension set up. Those factory numbers look very impressive for such a high power (relatively light) RWD car. Its on par with most AWD cars. I like their ideas and would love to see a sub 3000 pound Vette in the near future..... now that would really be awesome.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Mike Culpepper
Advanced

I do see GM missing AWD though. Maybe not the Vette but they should have another offering. Mitsubishi (Evo), Subaru (Sti), Nissan (GT-R), Audi, VW, Porsche, Saab (Aero-X), and more offer AWD.
You do know that GM owns Saab, don't you? And a big chunk of Subaru - or at least they did. That's why the Aero-X and the WRX share the same platform.

I respectfully suggest than anyone who wants a performance oriented all-wheel-drive car from GM should just go buy a Saab.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Performance Numbersa Announced