Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pads for 14 inch Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
IL Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads for 14 inch Brembos

I drive my car solely on the track at Autobahn Country Club.
I've put in a handful of twenty lap sessions, running through one set of front pads and most recently a full day - going through another front set that day alone.
The front pads are Brembos, part number is AX5.71.GOR.

Should I be using another pad for the front?

The backs are still the original set. I'd heard one of the advantages of switching from stock was the Brembos had more rear bias. Does this sound like I've got a problem here?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by IL Vette
I drive my car solely on the track at Autobahn Country Club.
I've put in a handful of twenty lap sessions, running through one set of front pads and most recently a full day - going through another front set that day alone.

The backs are still the original set. I'd heard one of the advantages of switching from stock was the Brembos had more rear bias. Does this sound like I've got a problem here?
For comparison - I'm running Ferodo DS3000 pads from Brembo. The front set lasted 2 days of hard driving at Autobahn. The rears still look brand new. That is normal.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
IL Vette
Instructor

Thanks Jason.
Where can you get them?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Katech_Zach

Thanks Jason.
Where can you get them?
Check Fall-Line Motorsports. They are in your area.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Jason.
Where can you get them?
Originally Posted by Katech
Check Fall-Line Motorsports. They are in your area.
IL Vette,

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I have Cobalt pads now in stock for the Brembo calipers, and I think you will find them 1000x better than what the Ferodo pads can do for you. I know you will have a better pedal, a much better life time from the pad, and a lot less dust to boot.

We have been using them on the race cars for years now, and have been working right beside them on our ALMS car.

Jason....give them a try, I think you would like the switch. I think the Caddy CTS-VR guys even switched after seeing our results from World Challenge

We also carry Cobalts for stock C5/6 calipers, C6 Z06, and StopTech caliper fitments.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I have Cobalt pads now in stock for the Brembo calipers, and I think you will find them 1000x better than what the Ferodo pads can do for you. I know you will have a better pedal, a much better life time from the pad, and a lot less dust to boot.

We have been using them on the race cars for years now, and have been working right beside them on our ALMS car.

Jason....give them a try, I think you would like the switch. I think the Caddy CTS-VR guys even switched after seeing our results from World Challenge

We also carry Cobalts for stock C5/6 calipers, C6 Z06, and StopTech caliper fitments.
Anthony,

How do the Cobolt pads compare to 97 compound pads? I have the GTS Brembo front and rear. 15" fronts and 13.7" rears. I like the 97's but they seem to be hard on my 15" Brembo slotted rotors. What pad combinations would I run front and back? I also have your spindle duct coolers on the front. Any help would be appreciated. I will be running the NCM event at VIR in a couple of weeks and then 5 days at Road America in August. Would like to maximize breaking while minimizing expenses.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by GoTreo
Anthony,

How do the Cobolt pads compare to 97 compound pads? I have the GTS Brembo front and rear. 15" fronts and 13.7" rears. I like the 97's but they seem to be hard on my 15" Brembo slotted rotors. What pad combinations would I run front and back? I also have your spindle duct coolers on the front. Any help would be appreciated. I will be running the NCM event at VIR in a couple of weeks and then 5 days at Road America in August. Would like to maximize breaking while minimizing expenses.

Jeff
Jeff,

These are going to be more similar to a PFC 03 than what they are a 97. I would personally, suggest the XR2 compound for the car. I think you will find them to be a lot easier on the rotors than what are you seeing now.

I have them in stock, and can get them to you before the event!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

TRY THE CARBOTECH XP10 OR XP12 . GIVE DANNY A CALL AT CARBOTECH 1877-899-5024 PLUS 10% DISSCOUNT FOR FORUM MEMBERS.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

I can give them a try next track day. The Ferodo DS3000s worked fine but I don't have a particular attachment to them.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by stunna
TRY THE CARBOTECH XP10 OR XP12 . GIVE DANNY A CALL AT CARBOTECH 1877-899-5024 PLUS 10% DISSCOUNT FOR FORUM MEMBERS.
What brake setup are you using? Can you give me an idea on the:

1) Life of the pad - # of 20 minute sessions before 1/2 of the pad has been used?
2) Rotor wear - # of pads sets before the rotors were gone?
3) what pad compounds did you use? Front / back

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

What brake setup are you using? Can you give me an idea on the:

1) Life of the pad - # of 20 minute sessions before 1/2 of the pad has been used?
2) Rotor wear - # of pads sets before the rotors were gone?
3) what pad compounds did you use? Front / back

Thanks,

Jeff
This might help...Running: '07 Z06, MSCP tires on CCWs, stock powertrain, 15" F / 14" R Brembo's with Carbotechs.

1) 8-10: 20 minutes sessions (2 track days and 50%-60% of pad is gone) i'll get one more track day at the most.
2) Dont know, negligeable wear so far
3) XP12 is hotter: so XP12 front, XP10 rear

With that said, I dont think you'll be as happy with them as the PFC... i'm switching to PFC '01 front for my next set.... although i could go to the LG pads based on feedback.

Last edited by Dreamin; 06-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by Dreamin
This might help...Running: '07 Z06, MSCP tires on CCWs, stock powertrain, 15" F / 14" R Brembo's with Carbotechs.

1) 8-10: 20 minutes sessions (2 track days and 50%-60% of pad is gone) i'll get one more track day at the most.
2) Dont know, negligeable wear so far
3) XP12 is hotter: so XP12 front, XP10 rear

With that said, I dont think you'll be as happy with them as the PFC... i'm switching to PFC '01 front for my next set.... although i could go to the LG pads based on feedback.
We have an absolutely identicle setup! What makes you want to go to the PFC 97? Performance, pad life, rotor wear? I like the PFC 97 pads but I think they are causing more rotor wear than I'd like to see.

Jeff
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

That's the (very soft) street pad for the Brembos... you'll get 2x-4x more track life out of a decent track pad.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

We have an absolutely identicle setup! What makes you want to go to the PFC 97? Performance, pad life, rotor wear? I like the PFC 97 pads but I think they are causing more rotor wear than I'd like to see.

Jeff
Nothing big... just a few little things and personal preference:

They take forever to warm up on track! (What's strange is that they work great on the street... so when cold and very hot, they work fine... when 'warm' they suck )
Peak braking torque is just not like the PFC's
Torque is VERY linear... But I prefer a high initial bite

A good things about the Carbotechs:
They are cheap
Torque is VERY linear (which some people like)
Dust is not corrosive to wheels

And i'm thinking about switching to the PFC 01... i think you'll get better rotor life with them vs. the PFC 97 compound. (I've never tried the new '03 or '05 compounds).
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM
GoTreo
Pro

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Nothing big... just a few little things and personal preference:

They take forever to warm up on track! (What's strange is that they work great on the street... so when cold and very hot, they work fine... when 'warm' they suck )
Peak braking torque is just not like the PFC's
Torque is VERY linear... But I prefer a high initial bite

A good things about the Carbotechs:
They are cheap
Torque is VERY linear (which some people like)
Dust is not corrosive to wheels

And i'm thinking about switching to the PFC 01... i think you'll get better rotor life with them vs. the PFC 97 compound. (I've never tried the new '03 or '05 compounds).
Thanks for the info!

Jeff
Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM
IL Vette
Instructor

The Cobalt pads are great.

I had another set of Brembo pads put on in the front while waiting for the Cobalts. They lasted about 6 20 lap sessions before wearing out.

I've got about 160 laps on the Cobalts and they are still pretty thick. I'd say they are less than halfway used up.

And they seem to perform better, too. I've shaved another second off my lap times.

Thanks Anthony!

Get notified of new replies

To Pads for 14 inch Brembos

Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Hmm. I was convinced I was going to go with Pagid endurance pads once my street pads wore out, but these Cobalts sound very interesting.

The last Ferodos I used (2500) were terrible for brake dust on my old GT-R.

Are the Cobalts noisy for road use, i.e. do they squeal?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
IL Vette
Instructor

I can't say about noise for street use. I only track the car, but they are quiet.
The pads are silver in color, so not only is there less dust because the pads are wearing longer, but it's harder to see.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Hmmm is right...

You're comparing Brembo street pads to a race pad... but 160 laps is friggin impressive! What model Cobalts??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pads for 14 inch Brembos