Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What will it take for our Z06s to beat the ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mercruiser
Yep. But that's about the only one!
To add on that, a picture of the Bugatti, is probably the only thing we will ever see, 99.9% of us will never see one on the road
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STROKD
Coming from a Cobra, you guys forget, a pulley swap and a tune and the ZR will be making 700 rw... and I'm not joking either, a pulley and a tune on a Cobra netted about 100 rw, so I see the same being true for a better blower (stock) on a much bigger and better motor...

That being said, when I get my Z, it will be mainly stock, and I'll race a ZR if I see one around, but I don't plan to win or care if I don't. I've got a 1400-1500 rw (estimated) Twin 72 mil, AL 437", 3050 lb, street Mustang I am almost done with, that will pretty much desimate everything on the street plus my rear tires in the process, so i don't care about losing to a ZR1 in my slow car.
I'm pretty sure you can't change the pulley on the ZR.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little bump in the road and you can hand him a tissue as his carbon fiber nose splitter shatters. That car could never survive in NY.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
JROW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I'm pretty sure you can't change the pulley on the ZR.
Reasoning behind this statement?

I would think the aftermarket will make sure that pulley can be changed...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SB60
Who cares? What will it take to make an apple look like an orange? A bottle of orange paint but it still tastes like an apple!

Let's not even go down this road........
Old 05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

In a drag race, I doubt you'd even need a cam. The Z06 is lighter and geared out wider, and isn't restricted to rubberband thin tires on the rear.

In a hardcore track race, it probably wouldn't require anything except maybe better tires.

In a GT style race... well... that's where you might have to get into it.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
07CSicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
To add on that, a picture of the Bugatti, is probably the only thing we will ever see, 99.9% of us will never see one on the road
hehe, some of us get lucky enough to ride in one.. I know me and I think Jon (forum member) were in the Veyron this day.. Here's a couple "stockers" (used loosely) that can run with the best of em.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

We dont even know what a ZR1 can do yet and yet we are all ready speculating that a cam and bolt-ons will be enough... I'm going to wait to see some number 1st.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
SABER Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by 07CSicks
hehe, some of us get lucky enough to ride in one.. I know me and I think Jon (forum member) were in the Veyron this day.. Here's a couple "stockers" (used loosely) that can run with the best of em.

I think I speak for allot of moders on this forum, I still say "BRING IT" I would not be intimidated by any exotic stocker and would love the oppertinity to run one! Lets face it If I paid that kind of money for a car It should be able to beat some $80,000 Daily driver slightly moded Corvette shouldn't it? "HeHe" Were off topic!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
07CSicks
Instructor

Originally Posted by SABER Racing
I think I speak for allot of moders on this forum, I still say "BRING IT" I would not be intimidated by any exotic stocker and would love the oppertinity to run one! Lets face it If I paid that kind of money for a car It should be able to beat some $80,000 Daily driver slightly moded Corvette shouldn't it? "HeHe" Were off topic!
Honestly, you wouldnt stand much chace against the SSC Aero from Shelby Super Cars... It's faster than the Veyron and has all the mods you would ever need built in... If you look up the specs on it, you would admit defeat...

Now bang for your buck, thats a horse of a different color.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JROW
Reasoning behind this statement?

I would think the aftermarket will make sure that pulley can be changed...
GM forged the pulley to the supercharger drive shaft! They're laughing at all the people who think they can mod them right now!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneSickZ06
GM forged the pulley to the supercharger drive shaft! They're laughing at all the people who think they can mod them right now!
yeah, and it's people like me who will machine the pulley down, on the shaft or not What most of the posters hear are missing is the impact of TORQUE on a sticky-tired car. The ZR1 will be making torque at 2500rpm some n/a motors will NEVER see. Who will win? Depends on the type of race and the driver, that said, I know I would hand a ZR1 it's @zz right now, unless it was MY ZR1
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Running a larger diameter crank pulley will get that super charger spinning faster...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by OneSickZ06

Yes but there are blower replacements in the works currently...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
novaz06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just came from my dealer (7th in nation for vette sales) and my guy said he's got 40 people on the wait list, each of whom he warned they would be paying at least 50k over, all of whom said "no problem." They will have an allocation of three or more. Looks like at least 150k. MSRP has not been announced yet. They had two crystal red 427s, both gone.

As to the original question, beating the ZR1 won't be hard. Like many around here I already have a daily-driver cam and headers package (Vette Drs. Sick Stick) that makes 575 to the wheels. The car is lighter anyway, so you might not even need to upgrade brakes/chassis to beat the ZR1 around the track or in a straight line. As another poster mentioned, they have different missions. The Z06 is and will remain the racer's choice, whereas the ZR1 is the ultimate GT.

Originally Posted by JBHunter
Let's have a "dollar race"

New Z06...at least $8000 off

New ZR1 at least $8000 over...probably alot more...

Then sales tax...5 to 8 % of the total...Who wins?...Both cars win!!!

That said, a new ZR1...probably the last REAL KING OF THE HILL will be a performance and GT Touring bargain...

I wish I had the money...I'd buy 2...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
novaz06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking of something... Once the ZR1 section of this forum actually starts to become populated with real owners, I wonder if some of us on in the C6 Z06 forum will start to sound like some of the folks on the C6 list that are always bashing the Z06? (meaning we'll all be talking about how much better the Z06 is than the ZR1 and how the ZR1 is a waste of money, blah blah blah)
Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by novaz06
I was just thinking of something... Once the ZR1 section of this forum actually starts to become populated with real owners, I wonder if some of us on in the C6 Z06 forum will start to sound like some of the folks on the C6 list that are always bashing the Z06? (meaning we'll all be talking about how much better the Z06 is than the ZR1 and how the ZR1 is a waste of money, blah blah blah)
God.....I hope not. The ZR-1 is another step in the evolution of the Corvette and I certainly don't feel the need to denigrate it.

But I'm sure it's bound to happen...and won't all the guys & gals in C6 General get a kick out of that.

Get notified of new replies

To What will it take for our Z06s to beat the ZR1?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

The weight difference thing is a big deal to me. I'm on the waitlist for the ZR1, and I'm buying it but giving the car to my mother. I'm sticking with the modded Z06.

The LS9 engine, aside from it's stout hp numbers, doesn't really have anything that gets me too excited. Every part of that motor would be insufficiently strong for what I would do with it.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
chempowr
Racer

Make sure to race in the summer no matter which mods. And race several times (if 1/4 mile). The forced induction setup should pull lots of timing (said power) when it hot out. My supercharged 03 cobra would be totally different depending on how cool the atmosphere was. The Z seems to be a little temperature sensitive but I don't expect it to be as much as a forced induction setup (factory anyway). Of course, this is all subjective.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ The LS9's cooling system and intercooler setup are far far different than an '03-'04 cobra or a GT500.

With all the track testing GM has done on the car I'd be very surprised if the car has heat soak issues.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What will it take for our Z06s to beat the ZR1?