Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] What will it take to get the Zr1 to 700HP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
I agree that tuning is important. However, IMO it is often the case that engines sensitive to tuning are that way because the slightest bit of knock will push out a head gasket, shatter a piston, break a rod, etc because the engine isn't really strong enough to have good reliability at the desired power level.

Wrong.

Stock LS6s, with only 345 rwhp from the factory are reliably returning 650 rwhp with aftermarket blowers today. Bone stock internals.

And tune isn't important...........it is PARAMOUNT. Everything relies on the tune - screw up the tune, and any engine (even the fancy bowtie block) with blow.

BTW - if that knock that pushed off the headgasket was held down with studs on the 'stronger' block/heads, then a broken conn. rod would be the result - and it wouldn't matter what it was fabricated from - no metal can hold up to the punishment of detonation.

A stock LS9 should be good for an upper limit of around 900-1000 rwhp with proper headers, meth injection, etc.

Time will tell!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Wrong.

Stock LS6s, with only 345 rwhp from the factory are reliably returning 650 rwhp with aftermarket blowers today. Bone stock internals.
I think your definition of reliable is a bit different from mine then.
A stock LS9 should be good for an upper limit of around 900-1000 rwhp with proper headers, meth injection, etc.
rofl.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong.

And tune isn't important...........it is PARAMOUNT. Everything relies on the tune - screw up the tune, and any engine (even the fancy bowtie block) with blow.

BTW - if that knock that pushed off the headgasket was held down with studs on the 'stronger' block/heads, then a broken conn. rod would be the result - and it wouldn't matter what it was fabricated from - no metal can hold up to the punishment of detonation.

Time will tell!
Maybe (a big maybe) the engine could take 900 HP, but how about the rest of the drive train?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Revving High
Pro

pulley and tune. the end lol

pulley and tune gave my 04 cobra 80rwhp
Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

What will happen when they start porting the stock blower
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Revving High
Pro

Originally Posted by regorih
What will happen when they start porting the stock blower

another 30-50 HP. a larger heat exchanger will help with IAT's with a port and pulley swap.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Hool97
Burning Brakes

Wrong.

Time will tell!

Stock ls1 blocks hold 800rwhp built, the LS9 has squirters and built for boost. In reliability, 800-900 may last 20000mi , 10 mi or 50000mi depending on the tune. I had 50k on a ls1 at 625FWHP stock internals.
granted with a good tune and through an A4. Also if it is used on the track at 80-100% vs 20-30% around town and the rare run to 80-90% of max. the engine will live significantly longer. Oh, and its dry sump!

As far as the pulley change we will have to see if it is even that feasable ( pressed on pulley ).
Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Just for a reference,on our GT all it took to get to 704RWHP(around 800
crank) was headers,TB,pulley & tune. Total investment around $4k which also included a Borla exhaust...which I think added little,if any,extra HP.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Jbrady
Instructor

Too many unknowns and the details will have to wait until the aftermarket gets hands on this combination.

Worth noting is that 4 bolt per cylinder heads are also found on virtually all the high output Honda engines as well as the Supra engines.

Many have topped 1000rwhp with the stock Ford GT 5.4 liter engine when twin turbo'd.

The limits of the stock LS9 are untested.

Hellion Power Systems "claims" 1100rwhp on an otherwise stock block (claims) Cobra 4.6 liter with compound supercharging and turbocharging.
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bra/index.html

As far as getting 700hp crank... I think first lets see if the engine is rated correctly. It may be close to that already and a tune may do the trick.

Otherwise, headers, pulley and tune (as others have said) should be easy.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jbrady
Too many unknowns and the details will have to wait until the aftermarket gets hands on this combination.

Worth noting is that 4 bolt per cylinder heads are also found on virtually all the high output Honda engines as well as the Supra engines.

Many have topped 1000rwhp with the stock Ford GT 5.4 liter engine when twin turbo'd.

The limits of the stock LS9 are untested.

Hellion Power Systems "claims" 1100rwhp on an otherwise stock block (claims) Cobra 4.6 liter with compound supercharging and turbocharging.
What do you think the LS9 is more closely related to, the LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 OR all those other motors you mentioned?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Tuner@Straightline
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jbrady

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
John's Hellraiser system is the real deal. They made four pulls on that stock motor with that kit on it on the dyno. I think alot has to be learned from the Ford people with their 03-04 Cobra's. With pulley upgrades and a tune we were getting about 80rwhp, with headers we were getting another 40rwhp without even trying.

Now GM has a few cranks for the LS series motors that are capable of 1000rwhp, I'm sure the rods will handle it, as well as the pistions. The question is, for really large boost numbers, will head gaskets hold? There's some really strong head studs out there now. There are 4 cyl import motors holding 45lbs of boost with 4 bolts per cylinder, so I don't think you'll be needing the 6 bolt heads/block. All in all, a pulley, headers/exhuast, and a tune (head studs if you want), I think you'll be seeing more than 100rwhp gains.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by gm4life
It would not be hard. Just what people said above simple bolt ons and tune. Just wait until people start changing out the "small" cam thats in it. The engine will handle it, we came along way from the LS1 days, that block and crank still handle 1000+hp, so just imagine what this new improved LS9 can do.
Maybe the block and crank, but not the cheap cast rods and pistons they put in those things, I can attest to that personally, I have still have chunks of piston that I kept, when my Z06 blew up on me. From what I have read, the ZR1 is all forged, I really don't think the car will need more than a couple simple bolt-ons, and a good tune to get to 700hp, and handle it easy.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 05-15-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM
gm4life
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Maybe the block and crank, but not the cheap cast rods and pistons they put in those things, I can attest to that personally, I have still have chunks of piston that I kept, when my Z06 blew up on me. From what I have read, the ZR1 is all forged, I really dont thing the car will need more than a couple simple bokt-ons, and a good tune to get to 700hp, and handle it easy.
Yup. Nobody can put a number on when an engine will let go. All we can do is speculate.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, not sure if the 5 bolt heads/blocks are the LSx 'only' type of thing or if the ZR1 has some of these features the LSx has?

Do the ZR1 motors have 4 or 5 bolt heads? Does the block have 4 or 5 bolt head bolt holes?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BBA
Ok, not sure if the 5 bolt heads/blocks are the LSx 'only' type of thing or if the ZR1 has some of these features the LSx has?

Do the ZR1 motors have 4 or 5 bolt heads? Does the block have 4 or 5 bolt head bolt holes?
The main thing here is that the ZR1 has forged internals, and low compression. All pre 2000 Vipers had the same, they have 1400 hp vipers out there on stock internals, I expect the ZR1 to be just as stout. All though the overall design of the ls9 is based on the base LS3, the forged guts, and low compression, is going to make it a very hard motor to break.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 AM
gm4life
Racer

Originally Posted by BBA

Four bolts but they are upgraded 12mm the standard is 11mm.
The main thing here is that the ZR1 has forged internals, and low compression. All pre 2000 Vipers had the same, they have 1400 hp vipers out there on stock internals, I expect the ZR1 to be just as stout. All though the overall design of the ls9 is based on the base LS3, the forged guts, and low compression, is going to make it a very hard motor to break.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
I don't think you'll be needing the 6 bolt heads/block.
For the kind of boost numbers you mentioned, think again.
Originally Posted by BBA

4, but they are larger bolts.
All pre 2000 Vipers had the same, they have 1400 hp vipers out there on stock internals, I expect the ZR1 to be just as stout.
Well, I think you should prepare to be very disappointed if you think this motor is going to produce those numbers without major work.

Get notified of new replies

To What will it take to get the Zr1 to 700HP?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jorday
For the kind of boost numbers you mentioned, think again.

4, but they are larger bolts.

Well, I think you should prepare to be very disappointed if you think this motor is going to produce those numbers without major work.
I haven't upgraded my signature, don't have 1400hp, but over 800, major work? nope , motor has not been opened, runs like a champ, gets beat, and wants more , very satisfied, the clutch is getting a little unhappy, but hat will be changed soon. ZR1, like the Supra's(dont like supras but give credit where it is due), and pre- 2000 vipers, are built to handle allot of hp. Its about time GM put stout internals in the Vette, this should have been done in the LS7.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I haven't upgraded my signature, don't have 1400hp, but over 800, major work? nope , motor has not been opened, runs like a champ, gets beat, and wants more , very satisfied, the clutch is getting a little unhappy, but hat will be changed soon. ZR1, like the Supra's(dont like supras but give credit where it is due), and pre- 2000 vipers, are built to handle allot of hp. Its about time GM put stout internals in the Vette, this should have been done in the LS7.
Not trying to be an azz or nothing like that, don't take this personal, and not trying to take this off topic either, but typically putting a cam inside an LS motor like you have in your impressive C5, is considered making an internal modification to one's engine (and techincally means the motor has been opened and is not bone stock).

I see your from Chicago and the local gear heads here on the forum are always looking to add new vette extreme gear heads to the local hi-perfomance corvette scene. Keep your eyes peeled if your interested in hooking up with us for local lunch get togethers, cruise in events in the vettes and drag and road racing.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 05-15-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Not trying to be an azz or nothing like that, don't take this personal, and not trying to take this off topic either, but typically putting a cam inside an LS motor like you have in your impressive C5, is considered making an internal modification to one's engine (and techincally means the motor has been opened and is not bone stock).

I see your from Chicago and the local gear heads here on the forum are always looking to add new vette extreme gear heads to the local hi-perfomance corvette scene. Keep your eyes peeled if your interested in hooking up with us for local lunch get togethers, cruise in events in the vettes and drag and road racing.
Bro I wasn't referring to the Corvette(just sold it a month ago ,cant afford 2 10 second cars the way the gas prices are, one had to go, and that was a no brainer. I was referring to the Viper ACR, the Vette motor(after it blew up) had all forged, lunati, pistons rods, crank, cartek stage 3 heads/came, along with every other bolt-on, very very not stock internals. I was wondering if powerhouse would like a stab at tuning my viper useing a Viper engine control management (VEC2) the closest viper tuner is in st. louis, but I need it done right, I'm gonna have to give them a call.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 05-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] What will it take to get the Zr1 to 700HP?