Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Can a Z06 be converted into a auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pajohns
I must be an odd driving freak but I never get tired of shifting especially when I am driving the Z06.. I find myself so lucky to just have the means to own the car.. let alone have the honor to drive it.

.. but then one of my passions is driving...
Well said!!, and the previous post mentioned powerglide trannys being faster at the drag strip. Yes they are!! But the z06 is not a drag car, its a sports car, it was designed for a manual. I am sure auto's can be faster on the road course too being what computers are now days. Can it be converted to an auto? Obviously and I am sure the conversion works well. I am considering one myself in a few years from RPM. As far as the drag strip. I have taken my Z there twice and I HATE the 6 speed manual on the strip!! I could never drive a manual worth a crap at the strip. I even read and practiced Rangers method before I went the 2nd time and the fastest I ran was an 8.37 in the 1/8th and thats with a killer bee tune!! I will never put my z through that again! I dont see how any of you guys put your z through this, I am suprized they dont break the first run!!

Anyway, the bottom line is this. ITS A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE!! BUT AN AUTO IN A Z06 TURNS IT INTO A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT ANIMAL!!

I drive my vettes on some very nice east tn mountain roads. I'm sure alot of you less fortunate vette owners would give anything to be able to play on these roads. I have had auto c6's that I drove on these roads. The difference between the z and them is like comparing the z to my moms cadillac. Did the new caddy handle good on the curvy road? Yea, it felt great. Was it the same as going through the gears in the Z? Hell no!! There is no comparison.

I have lived in Texas, New Jersey, and Michigan. All great states but if owned a corvette and didn't track it, it would have to be an auto. Hell, its to flat and boring. Especially Texas, I really dont even see the point in owning a z if you live there unless you track the car.

My passion is driving also, and you can't "DRIVE" an auto, you "steer it"

just my .02......bring on the flames I have my suit on..........

Last edited by tnz5106; 05-31-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 AM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about we let ya burn a bit? I will tell u right now, my Z runs it's butt off and I can shift the crap out of it, but as soon as I find the time, my "revised gear ratio" 4L65e is going in, and despite the mixed feelings of everyone, it will still be fast and I may even get to drive it more than 5-6k mi w/o having to replace the clutch or hear the whine of worn gearsets.....I would rather build the auto every 20k. U get past 550rwhp on a daily driver and USE the power, u better look into micro-polishing.

Hey Rodney, u got an output shaft for me that is 30spline for the c6z?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Are we close to having the A6 trannys tuning available to make stronger versions??? For the guys that want big HP and an A6? Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tnz5106
My passion is driving also, and you can't "DRIVE" an auto, you "steer it"

just my .02......bring on the flames I have my suit on..........
Exactly!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
Exactly!!!
Heres the ultimate question and some food for thought. Is it more cost efficient and is it a better alternative to buy a regular C6 Auto and mod it up to the level of Z with a cam etc and can the GM auto be modified enought to handle to power without spending a fortune? Guess the first question would be what does a auto conversation from RPM cost in a Z first off. I mean i know its an age old debate but would it be nice to have a converetible with an auto and be able to run faster than a Z for less $? Tough debate. I love my Z and would never think of down grading to a regular c6 for so many reasons and dont mind the hardtop at all. I mean the whole reason i bought the Z was to get a turn key high horsepower super car with a manual tranny. All my past race cars where always auto and setup for the track but I wanted to get back into a stick car again because i spend alot of time crusing the streets too which to me is more fun with a stick. BUT curiousity is always there........
Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06
Heres the ultimate question and some food for thought. Is it more cost efficient and is it a better alternative to buy a regular C6 Auto and mod it up to the level of Z with a cam etc and can the GM auto be modified enought to handle to power without spending a fortune? Guess the first question would be what does a auto conversation from RPM cost in a Z first off. I mean i know its an age old debate but would it be nice to have a converetible with an auto and be able to run faster than a Z for less $? Tough debate. I love my Z and would never think of down grading to a regular c6 for so many reasons and dont mind the hardtop at all. I mean the whole reason i bought the Z was to get a turn key high horsepower super car with a manual tranny. All my past race cars where always auto and setup for the track but I wanted to get back into a stick car again because i spend alot of time crusing the streets too which to me is more fun with a stick. BUT curiousity is always there........

Trying to let this die, but when does a Z06 stop being a Z06? Once you drop in a Auto, drag suspension, you've altered the car radically from it's intent. Why start with a Z06 in the first place?

In the Cobra world people would do the same. Drop in a auto, tear out the IRS, drag suspension, my argument is the same. Why pay the upcharge for a Cobra when you are tearing everything that made it a cobra out?

To each his/her ownI can't imagine dropping a auto in a drivers car like a Z06, unless it was on par with the GTR trans, but as long as people are happy with their car that's all that matters.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
69 Vette
Drifting

Why start with a Z06 in the first place?
Because it has a bigger engine
Because it is lighter
Because it has better brakes
Because it has better suspension
Because it has more curb appeal
Because you can fit bigger tires under it
i could go on and on......

Why would someone molest a ZO6 and install an auto tranny?

Because it's faster
Because it's a dream to drive around town. Drives like a Toyota Camery on the street and the HWY
No more clutch to fool with. No more clutch peddles sticking to the floor.
Those of us with lots of RWHP have to run dual or tripple disk clutches to handle the power suffer because it drives like chit on the street. With the auto.... drives like a Camery
Hell, my wife jumps in my car now and drives it like it was nothing..... this is a 700 RWHP car.
Oh, did i mention it is faster with the auto

Until you drive an auto converted ZO6 you don't have a clue. It's the best money I have ever spent on my car...and I've spent a lot

Last edited by 69 Vette; 01-18-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to let this die, but when does a Z06 stop being a Z06? Once you drop in a Auto, drag suspension, you've altered the car radically from it's intent. Why start with a Z06 in the first place?

In the Cobra world people would do the same. Drop in a auto, tear out the IRS, drag suspension, my argument is the same. Why pay the upcharge for a Cobra when you are tearing everything that made it a cobra out?

To each his/her ownI can't imagine dropping a auto in a drivers car like a Z06, unless it was on par with the GTR trans, but as long as people are happy with their car that's all that matters.
Once they offer an optional Auto tranny on the Z then would be acceptable haha Think about that one
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Moss
Racer

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Cool option. But the whole point of owning a sports car is the manual trans, just my opinion. Just go buy a coupe or vert.
Imho, if you like the look of the z06 but want the automatic, wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a C6 and do a widebody conversion. it probably also maintain your warranty. just my .02
Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 AM
SAN_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06
Once they offer an optional Auto tranny on the Z then would be acceptable haha
But they won't.

If you want an auto (or a vert), the ZO6 is not for you.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
69 Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SAN_man

If you want an auto (or a vert), the ZO6 is not for you.

I LOVE my ZO6 with auto tranny conversion.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Fredo
Racer

In the last 2 threads there has been approximately 150 posts on auto conversions.

I love the idea but would like to see just a general cost of the tranny swap. I know the cost to mod the motor.

Even just a ballpark or a range of cost would be helpfull

I will decide if the cost justifies the mod.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen
I have owned several manual vehicles including a few manual Vette's. I live in Chicago and often get stuck in the awful traffic out here. Quite frankly I'm tired of shifting and have learned the few tenths of a second gained by a manual is not worth it.

I was wondering if anybody in forumland has had or know of anyone who will convert a Z06 into a auto? I have boiled my choice between a 09 Z or a vert. Depending how much and how good the conversion is will help my decision.

Also, will the convert void the manufacture warranty?

A big thank you for any good info.
In a Vette, the auto is faster on the track than a manual anyway, so there's no "few tenths" to be gained. There are a number of threads to help you with your decision in any case. It has been done, albeit not an inexpensive mod. I still prefer the stick as I use down shifting often over brakes, and it gives me a greater sense of comfort and road feel. I've had auto's in many Vettes before and I still prefer the stick, although I can see the huge benefit of an auto on a daily driver. I wish I had an auto while driving in the city and a stick for the highways, but that would mean 2 Z06's and that's just plain not worth it...LOL

Last edited by FastestBusaAround; 01-18-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

The cost to convert to an RPM built auto tranny with beefed up differential is around $13,000 with all the bells and whistles. This price includes shipping of your car both ways.

IPS Motorsports in Ohio did my conversion for me and I'm real happy with the work they did.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jeff Pedersen
Also, will the convert void the manufacture warranty?
I am surprised anybody bothered to say anything after this comment.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
SAN_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69 Vette

I LOVE my ZO6 with auto tranny conversion.
Whatever floats your boat.

You said you like it "because it drives like a Camry". THAT is why I said that a Z06 is not for you if you want an auto trans.

A Z06 is not supposed to "drive like a Camry". Hell...why not just put a built motor in a new Camry and save yourself a ****-ton of money in the process?

I know I'm not going to change your mind, and you won't change mine. So...whatever.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

While i do understand an auto tranny ZO6 isn't for everyone, for you to say a ZO6 isn't for me if I want an auto is ludacris.

Comparing it to a Camry was just an analogy. It's not often you have a 700 RWHP car that drives this incredibly well on the street. Don't let the good street manners fool you though. When you hit the gas peddle it's "bye bye baby"

Why not dump the money into the Camry and save some $$$?
Because it wouldn't run like this when i take it to the track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE6Uxo418AI

The quickest C6 Z's in the world have auto tranny's in them yet you say our auto tranny Z's aren't for us.

Last edited by 69 Vette; 01-18-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a Z06 be converted into a auto?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

Here are the speeds from the fast list. The top three cars are all using RPM built auto tranny's

Originally Posted by Fast List
Power Adders (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger) ------*Current Avg. 10.016 secs. @143.79 1.583 secs
*Nine Second C6 Z06 Power Adders Times are denoted in green.

1---9.218 @158.20--1.46---atomicfusion -----'07.-----Details
2---9.277 @156.25--1.55---LPFSTheFett-----'07----------Details
3---9.903 @135.86--1.40---69 Vette------'07------Details
4---9.946 @139.85--1.46---07WhiteDevilZ------'07 ------Details
5---9.987 @140.65--1.51---Team #88R------'06-------Details
6--10.159 @141.47--1.66--- Ron@Vengeance Racing-----'08 -----Details
7--10.344 @152.25--1.88---INTMD8-----'07 -----Details
8--10.484 @136.86--1.65---Super4x4Duty-----'07-----Details
9--10.765 @131.90--1.66---ANIL8-U -----'06 -----Details
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

So...what did the OP end up doing anyway?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I am gonna jump in here and say the fastest 4 C6Zs are auto tranny, I am not on the fast list, but if u people feel like u need another mid 9sec car to prove the automatic point.......

This is deja vu for me. Was not all that long ago I was preaching about the c5 shafts for the c6z, yet countless threads were started and rambled on and on about part# xxxxxx1850 shaft being the latest greatest yada yada....

Autos are not for everyone, but for my boys here and I, it's the only way to fly. Ever see a stock-suspension C6Z leave w/ front wheel up? Don't worry, I promise u will see a black one, and it has an auto w/ 3k stall

Quick Reply: [Z06] Can a Z06 be converted into a auto?