Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Limits of Stock Z06 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 AM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftwater Z06
Do these issues extend to any part of the wheel powder-coating process?
No. Powder coating does not lead to hydrogen embrittlement. However, some powder coatings, due to the thickness applied and their elasticity are very good at hiding sub-surface cracks. Even non-destructive testing methods involving dye penetrants will not show these cracks sometimes. Only x-ray would reveal cracks under the paint. The best wheels to used on a track car are polished wheels. First, being polished, it eliminates stress raisers. Second, being polished and with no surface coating, any cracks will be a lot more noticable.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Title of the post is "Limits of Stock Z06 Wheels"
The wheels were designed and tested to handle stresses for the tires they were intended to use. R compound tires have much more traction and the stress on the wheels is much greater than they should be subjected to. Anytime you upgrade one part of a balanced system you throw the system out of balance. Tires/Wheels/Hubs/Oiling/brakes etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
BAREFOOT JOE
Instructor

There are going to be failures. Defects in manufacturing can and will happen. There are a lot more stock wheels running around than mods. My big question is what is the failure rate, as compared to other wheels.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by BAREFOOT JOE
There are going to be failures. Defects in manufacturing can and will happen. There are a lot more stock wheels running around than mods. My big question is what is the failure rate, as compared to other wheels.
As with everything else, very small. I'm not going to argue the powder coating issues... choose to believe what you want. I'll just say that I raced a long time, and this was something we were very careful about.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Frank halls a** with his car and has never had a problem. When I was racing we did not use cast wheels and we got new ones every six months or so but they were always from sponsors. I think the difference is the driver. Frank is smooth and I learned to be. You can't hit things with them or get the car in the air a lot or very high and expect them to last. For 99% or the HPDE drivers, I would not worry about it.

My family heard many times in the stands, "How can that number 55 car be so far out front? He looks like he is on a Sunday drive!" That is the fast way. Smooth is fast. I am not saying you don't drift the car or stab the brakes but you do it smoothly. Try to do all that while the car is going straight and you will put minimum stress on the wheels. Spinning the tires and sliding just waste time and energy and is slow! Sometimes you have to be agressive to pass or because you are being pushed. That should not happen at HPDEs.

Enjoy your car. Inspect everything personally or have crew guys like P & M or Katech do it. If you look at your brakes and wheels frequently I don't think you will have any issues. If you see a problem start to bevelop, buy new ones.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 06-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Lets face it, GM should have done it right and put forged wheels on the car. Plain and simple bean counting. For 99 percent it is no problem, but a race car for the street needs proper rims. sure they look good but this is just another reason its a great bang for the buck, some bucks were left out.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default hydrogen embrittlement

Originally Posted by allanlaw
We have had discussions before about the possible dangers of using repro wheels on the track, with the suggestion that the stock Z06 wheels are more suitable. Yesterday at the track, a stock chrome Z06 wheel (GM and Speedline clearly indicated on the wheel) came apart when all the spokes broke at essentially the same spot. This was not the result of an impact, it just gave up. The tires were Hoosiers, and the driver has a pretty hot shoe. The car was directly in front of me on the track, and I watched as the wheel (driver front) rolled off the track into the pit area. Luckily, it missed everyone, and the car came gently to rest on a paved area (part of the skid pad that is used as a sweeper into the main straight) - gently only because it was the first lap of a session and the driver was warming things up slowly. He also began to hear a clunking (like having a big chunk of track rubber) a couple of turns before the wheel came apart. His other front wheel is showing minute signs of cracking in the same place.

The lesson is that the stock wheels also have their limits, and if you run them hard you need to keep an eye on them.

Pictures are here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=48
hydrogen embrittlement can cause premature fatigue failure in plated parts unless it is cooked out of the part. If memory serves a number of hours @ 400 degrees f does the trick
So if this problem is associated with plated wheels and not painted wheel we may have a clue to what the problem is
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GrillnZ
No, made it stronger.
What reasoning are you using to claim the chroming a wheel makes a wheel stronger.....???????

Quick Reply: [Z06] Limits of Stock Z06 Wheels