Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Hits the Nürburgring track

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Furia
that reminded me how Japan's super GT500 thought adding 50kgs something would give other races cars on the track better chance of beating GT-R @ round 2 until GT-R blew it right back at their faces.. so they gave GT-R a 115kg penalty and fit a stifling restrictor to the GT-R's air intake. That knocked 30kph off the GT-R's maximum velocity at round 3 race.. and yes.. that did the job.
With regard to the GT500 GT-R - is it not a light weight RWD V8 instead of being a heavy weight AWD V6?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
With regard to the GT500 GT-R - is it not a light weight RWD V8 instead of being a heavy weight AWD V6?
Exactly, plus the Super-GT/JGTC is has such so much wiggle room in the regulations, of course they had to enforce some kind of modification on the GT-R. Hell, if you're allowed all this level of variation, of course one car can perform better than another.

Regulations in GT500 are considerably looser than most GT classifications, and teams are free to change engines with other models made by the manufacturer, change the alignment of the engine, or add forced-induction systems to models which do not normally have it. The chassis may also be heavily modified, with lightweight tube-frame "clips" being allowed forward and back of the main cockpit, although the car must overall look similar to its road-going variant.

Side note: Anyone else notice the correlation between no profile, anonymous nobodies and GTR fanboys?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
And please can someone post a link to all the negative reviews? Maybe just one, yeah just one one.
This one's nice.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...n-gt-r-review/
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
christopher04z06
Instructor

For years I've heard import fans complain about Big/Heavy American cars. American "Iron". They'd say they love a more pure sports car with better driving "dynamics", better suspension. Now they love the GTR which is heavy, big, and more about computer algorithms to perform; vs a light weight, full double-wishbone, manual shifted, dynamic sports car like the Z06.

In another vain they love the Lotus Elise for its lightweight pure sports car approach though!

...Chris
Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robvuk
Ok. How about two. ha ha ha.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
RC45
Race Director

Ok. How about two. ha ha ha.
Didn't Jason Plato take for a spin and commented that the GT-R was an understeering pig on the track? WHich takes us back to the "ZR1 at the Nurburgring" topic at hand - this "road going GT" style car seems to be doing really really well on the Northloop.

In fact, the ZR1 seems to be behaving like a pure bred supercar - with GT style creature comforts.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this GTR will eat up a C5 and a regular C6 and it just may womp a ZO6.
personally i'm glad they 'think' this way. they sure will be in for a big suprise when they get lined up.

anyone remember the dialog about the wrx sti and the evo's beating up on the c6 when the c6 first came out. we sure don't hear much of that anymore. seems like talk is cheap and reality are two different stories.

i wouldn't hesitate, in the least, to line my lil ole c6 up against the big bad gt-r.

power to weight ratio plays a large role in what wins races.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zig
personally i'm glad they 'think' this way. they sure will be in for a big suprise when they get lined up.

anyone remember the dialog about the wrx sti and the evo's beating up on the c6 when the c6 first came out. we sure don't hear much of that anymore. seems like talk is cheap and reality are two different stories.

i wouldn't hesitate, in the least, to line my lil ole c6 up against the big bad gt-r.

I would line my C5 Z up against one of the bad boy GT-R's - I coul dprobably short shift and still give it a good womping

But I would need to be on the boil the entire time to stick with the ZR1 I am sure... this is going to be a fast car out of the box.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper
You sound like the supreme expert on high performance automobiles. Please expound on the transmission, suspension tuning, and aero work as it relates to the overwhelming time differences at the 'Ring. I encourage and implore you to get as technical as possible in your explanation and we'll try to keep up...don't forget to discuss "a whole bunch of ****" too, I have a feeling that subject is the one you excel in.

Funny how weight and power are the only two variables in all performance calculators...maybe you need to tell the Indy and F1 teams they are being too simple. I'm sure they would appreciate having your knowledge annointed on them.
Don't get all butthurt because the GTR appears to be faster at the moment. I don't know the full details or specs on the GTR. As it sits right now its AWD system appears to be far more advanced than any other system on the market. Lightning fast transmission shifts and what looks to be an underated motor also add to quickness of this car. It has 3 years on the Z06 in the production cycle. They worked out all the computer programming and controls on this car over that time span. IMO the controls on this car is probably what makes it so fast, they maximize everything. I also heard that this car actually does make down force at higher speeds. Modern day driving dynamics take into account whole lot more than just power and weight.

Great analogy on the F1 teams. Because they don't employ the latest technology in super quick transmission shifts, aero work,traction and suspension control. "Let's get a light chassis shove a motor that idles like a stock Corvette at red line and call it a day." Feel free to add your wealth of information, chief engineer. Save your link to your GTR transmission and how your daughter can shift in .5 seconds. That was cool.

I'm far from a GTR fanboy.... I know this is a Vette board and I love Vettes (thats why I'm here) but give the GTR its props already, the car is badass.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
Don't get all butthurt because the GTR appears to be faster at the moment. I don't know the full details or specs on the GTR. As it sits right now its AWD system appears to be far more advanced than any other system on the market. Lightning fast transmission shifts and what looks to be an underated motor also add to quickness of this car. It has 3 years on the Z06 in the production cycle. They worked out all the computer programming and controls on this car over that time span. IMO the controls on this car is probably what makes it so fast, they maximize everything. I also heard that this car actually does make down force at higher speeds. Modern day driving dynamics take into account whole lot more than just power and weight.

Great analogy on the F1 teams. Because they don't employ the latest technology in super quick transmission shifts, aero work,traction and suspension control. "Let's get a light chassis shove a motor that idles like a stock Corvette at red line and call it a day." Feel free to add your wealth of information, chief engineer. Save your link to your GTR transmission and how your daughter can shift in .5 seconds. That was cool.

I'm far from a GTR fanboy.... I know this is a Vette board and I love Vettes (thats why I'm here) but give the GTR its props already, the car is badass.
Some people just don't have a way with words.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

No facts, no figures, no highly technical explanation, no proof...just more BS, I'll take that as a "I don't have a clue".

I give the car its' due, just because I don't buy into the BS hype like the stupids do doesn't mean I'm "all butthurt". Speaking of which, your butt must be hurting a lot from talking out your azz all the time.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig

We have modded WRX STIs and Evos claiming 400-500 RWHP show up at our Corvette events. Stock L98 C4s with women driving kick the crap out of them...funniest thing I've ever seen. My daughter annihilates them with my stock ZR1. Can't wait for the GTRs to start showing up...we have a couple of stock C6 Z06s on good tires ready to put a hurtin' on them.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great analogy on the F1 teams. Because they don't employ the latest technology in super quick transmission shifts, aero work,traction and suspension control. "Let's get a light chassis shove a motor that idles like a stock Corvette at red line and call it a day."Feel free to add your wealth of information, chief engineer. Save your link to your GTR transmission and how your daughter can shift in .5 seconds. That was cool.

once again

Feel free to add your wealth of information, chief engineer.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightning fast transmission shifts and what looks to be an underated motor also add to quickness of this car.
How does the engine being underrated have anything to do with adding to the quickness of the car?

It would be just as quick if they overrated it and said it had a million horsepower and just as quick if they said it had a 2.5 hp lawnmower engine.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It'll take more than a mildly cooked gtr to get me worried about whopping my c5. I just need those killer ccm's and that zr1 spec trans and ill be happy
Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by SnapperDragon
Some people just don't have a way with words.
Please add in whatever you feel is necessary to make your point. Have a nice day. GTR posts better lap times than a Z06. Care to explain? Have a good day nut hugging.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:53 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

No facts, no figures, no highly technical explanation, no proof...just more BS, I'll take that as a "I don't have a clue".

I give the car its' due, just because I don't buy into the BS hype like the stupids do doesn't mean I'm "all butthurt". Speaking of which, your butt must be hurting a lot from talking out your azz all the time.
Please provide proof, Cheif Engineer. I love the Z06, i'd probably buy one over a GTR. Why is the GTR faster? I'm listening, cheif. All ears. Your turn.

Last edited by GeneCamaro; 05-10-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Hits the Nürburgring track

Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

Originally Posted by jnel04
How does the engine being underrated have anything to do with adding to the quickness of the car?

It would be just as quick if they overrated it and said it had a million horsepower and just as quick if they said it had a 2.5 hp lawnmower engine.
Please log out. Bye.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
GeneCamaro
Racer

We have modded WRX STIs and Evos claiming 400-500 RWHP show up at our Corvette events. Stock L98 C4s with women driving kick the crap out of them...funniest thing I've ever seen. My daughter annihilates them with my stock ZR1. Can't wait for the GTRs to start showing up...we have a couple of stock C6 Z06s on good tires ready to put a hurtin' on them.
Are you for real? 500HP WRX STi = 2009 GTR Explanation..... all ears once again....
Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Please add in whatever you feel is necessary to make your point. Have a nice day. GTR posts better lap times than a Z06. Care to explain? Have a good day nut hugging.

:

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Hits the Nürburgring track