Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] $75,000 over list-bunch of thieves

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 75k over sticker down the drain

I can hear the excuses already when one of these "so called" monsters get their doors blown off for the first time ... j
Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe90
Well, the Forum "expert" on everything finally comes out...

It's my business...I see it every week.

Talk to me about franchise agreements when you've actually SEEN one. Until then I promise to hold my breath...
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

And during my various careers, I've probably read and signed more dealer agreements than all the car dealers in my state combined. Your statement was that "market adjustments are determined by the manufacturers". You'll have to show me that one before I'll believe it. THAT is clearly price fixing and collusion.

Thanks to the other forum members here, I don't need to say any more.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM
rich_r31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I sold you a pink Honda Civic for $10K and 3 people offered you $10K, $11K, and $30K, who would you sell it to? The answer is obvious. If you can't step up, then step off. ANY product will sell for what the market will bear. In this country that is the way it works. Work harder or smarter and you will get the disposable income to pay what the market will bear. Why would a dealer sell a car for less than someone is willing to pay? Completely insane. It's not stealing, it's a free economy. If Chevy kills the V8 in 2 years, and someone offers me $100K for my base model C6, you can be assured that I would take it. (unless I can get $150K)
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by allegretto
and if You think I'm voting for Obama...You have sorely missed the irony I see in my avatar. I'd rather kiss a Wookie!
I thought it was pretty funny!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Um, the needy and the greedy? Wow, that's like old fashion Marxism slept with Jessie Jackson.

My point is this; do you really think the average customer worries about the salesman's commission? I think not. I sold cars in college part time. I know it isn't easy or empowering in many cases. Actually I personally do care about my salesman in many cases and try to buy from those whom I think earned my trust. But I doubt most buyers share my respect.

and if You think I'm voting for Obama...You have sorely missed the irony I see in my avatar. I'd rather kiss a Wookie!

So your were just foolin me with your avatar?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rich_r31
If I sold you a pink Honda Civic for $10K and 3 people offered you $10K, $11K, and $30K, who would you sell it to? The answer is obvious. If you can't step up, then step off. ANY product will sell for what the market will bear. In this country that is the way it works. Work harder or smarter and you will get the disposable income to pay what the market will bear. Why would a dealer sell a car for less than someone is willing to pay? Completely insane. It's not stealing, it's a free economy. If Chevy kills the V8 in 2 years, and someone offers me $100K for my base model C6, you can be assured that I would take it. (unless I can get $150K)

Why is it so hard for people to understand the concept ? In all the years that I have been buying cars, I have always paid well under MSRP. The thought of paying MSRP just goes against my self image of a being good negotiator. When the ZR1 was announced, I decided that I would approach my Chev dealer and offer to buy a ZR1 for MSRP knowing full well that he could probably sell it for more than MSRP. He accepted my offer. Now I hope he pulls an allocation. If my dealer would have wanted 10K over, I would have passed. I feel pretty good about the deal but only time will tell whether is really is a good deal or not. Supply and demand.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dwitherell
No, I think like an Investment Advisor, as that is what I do for a living. I stay in touch with some of the sales people now and then, as I'm still a car guy at heart. The dealer violated the contract with the sales person.

Do you agree that a contract is an agreement that should be honored? Or, do you feel honor is a thing of the past?
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a second!!! You need to be more clear in you posts... What contract? You never mentioned a contract? You said, "The usual 25%-30%". Did I miss something? This is not a contract. If there was a contract signed upon employment that said, "For every car a salesman sells, he will get 25%-30% of the profit. No exceptions.", then yes, that person should get $25,000 - $30,000. A contract is a legal binding agreement. And if they don't HONOR that contract, a simple call to a lawyer will be all that's needed... That being said, I doubt such a contract is/was signed. And if it is, it probably has exceptions to it... If not, have them call a lawyer ASAP.

Otherwise, I stick to my original post. The salesman does not deserve $25,000 - $30,000, and should feel extremely lucky to have been picked to sell that car - and make $2,500 easy money. Let's keep it real.... I mean, think about it. Let's say I have more money than brains, and walk into a GM dealership today. Knowing to get into a ZR1, I will probably have to pay a huge markup. I tell the first saleman that approached me I want the first ZR1 they get! I am willing to pay $75,000 over MSPR. He writes my name down and agrees to the deal. He calls me when the car come in. Now you think he deserves 25%-30% of that profit? LOL. Over $20,000 bucks? LOL. Again, let's keep it real..

Last edited by Onerareviper; 04-15-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:09 PM
dwitherell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a second!!! You need to be more clear in you posts... What contract? You never mentioned a contract? You said, "The usual 25%-30%". Did I miss something? This is not a contract. If there was a contract signed upon employment that said, "For every car a salesman sells, he will get 25%-30% of the profit. No exceptions.", then yes, that person should get $25,000 - $30,000. A contract is a legal binding agreement. And if they don't HONOR that contract, a simple call to a lawyer will be all that's needed... That being said, I doubt such a contract is/was signed. And if it is, it probably has exceptions to it... If not, have them call a lawyer ASAP.

Otherwise, I stick to my original post. The salesman does not deserve $25,000 - $30,000, and should feel extremely lucky to have been picked to sell that car - and make $2,500 easy money. Let's keep it real.... I mean, think about it. Let's say I have more money than brains, and walk into a GM dealership today. Knowing to get into a ZR1, I will probably have to pay a huge markup. I tell the first saleman that approached me I want the first ZR1 they get! I am willing to pay $75,000 over MSPR. He writes my name down and agrees to the deal. He calls me when the car come in. Now you think he deserves 25%-30% of that profit? LOL. Over $20,000 bucks? LOL. Again, let's keep it real..
He had a contract that he signed the first day on the job. The contract stated 25% on all used cars, and 30% on new cars. (LOL! there's no money in new domestic cars, so 30% of $700.00 is $210.00)

Yes, he got an attorney. Yes, he suddenly got laid off. Yes, the greedy dealer paid up. Yes, the guy is still in the car business. With his $25,000 minus the 40% for the attorney.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
dwitherell
Instructor

Um, the needy and the greedy? Wow, that's like old fashion Marxism slept with Jessie Jackson.

My point is this; do you really think the average customer worries about the salesman's commission? I think not. I sold cars in college part time. I know it isn't easy or empowering in many cases. Actually I personally do care about my salesman in many cases and try to buy from those whom I think earned my trust. But I doubt most buyers share my respect.

Well, that's more like it. Since you're not voting for Osama...

As for the car dealers, they usually beat the salesperson over the head to produce. The dealer makes big $$$, and the salesperson makes it to the next pay day. i.e., the dealer keeps the hold back, the financing, and 75% of the gross. The salesperson gets the crums. NO, I do not feel sorry for the dealer since he has to open the lot with his own money, pay the utilities, etc.,

Just pointing out pure greed, and the car lots are loaded with it.

There's a lot of good dealers out there. Then, there are the one's who become type A multi million aires off the backs of their employees.

It's been going on since cars were first sold, and will continue until the end of time.

Ever heard "furtunes are made on the backs of the poor"? This is a clasic example.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dwitherell
Well, that's more like it. Since you're not voting for Osama...

As for the car dealers, they usually beat the salesperson over the head to produce. The dealer makes big $$$, and the salesperson makes it to the next pay day. i.e., the dealer keeps the hold back, the financing, and 75% of the gross. The salesperson gets the crums. NO, I do not feel sorry for the dealer since he has to open the lot with his own money, pay the utilities, etc.,

Just pointing out pure greed, and the car lots are loaded with it.

There's a lot of good dealers out there. Then, there are the one's who become type A multi million aires off the backs of their employees.

It's been going on since cars were first sold, and will continue until the end of time.

Ever heard "furtunes are made on the backs of the poor"? This is a clasic example.
I understand where you are coming from, and I'm not disputing the fact there are some 'overly' greedy S.O.B. dealers that don't know the meaning of business ethics or a basic moral code. I hate dealing with them as much as the next guy. But greed happens in many industries, not just the car biz. That being said, it is a free country. If you don't like the job, pay, or how you are being treated - get another job or work for a different dealership. I've known a few car salesman that could not get another job that would pay what they made, due to lack of skill set, education, or willingness to work a hard labor job. And the ones that did/could/would jumped ship as soon as possible. And that is great! That's the beauty of our country. Freedom. Freedom to pay what you want (to an extent), freedom to treat you employees how you want (within legal guidelines), and freedom to pursue another career/job. If you believe in capitalism, none of this should come as a shock.

(*Not related to this specific post, just a random rant)
I guess it just comes down to this - I am sick and tired of people blaming others for there problems. Or wanting government to bail them out of problems that were self inflicted. Or crying about everything in there lives. Is anyone else tired or this BS? I'm not opposed to compassion, but we live in a great country were people can live the dream. It's just very depressing that most of our leaders don't want our citizens to believe this or feel empowered, and instead say 'Let us handle it - just pass your money forward'. And many people are buying into it, hook, line, sinker...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onerareviper

(*Not related to this specific post, just a random rant)
I guess it just comes down to this - I am sick and tired of people blaming others for there problems. Or wanting government to bail them out of problems that were self inflicted. Or crying about everything in there lives. Is anyone else tired or this BS? I'm not opposed to compassion, but we live in a great country were people can live the dream. It's just very depressing that most of our leaders don't want our citizens to believe this or feel empowered, and instead say 'Let us handle it - just pass your money forward'. And many people are buying into it, hook, line, sinker...
Amen Brother.

Both Parties are trying their darnedest to pander to to slugs. Those who would rather sit there and cry like babies instead of getting off their butts and changing their own world. A whole Industry bigger than any other sector now exists to make a soft pillow for them to sit upon.

It comes down to this;

The "poorest" in our country are also the fattest. Go figure...

Anyone who thinks this Obama Guy is going to do anything but make them even fatter is dreaming.

On a parallel note, does anyone here remember the movie Putney Swope?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by SFCA1968
How sad this is that the stealers have to gouge the American public

(A) Someone offers you $20,000 over the asking price of your house.
(B) Someone offers you asking price.

Considering your remark above, if you don't take offer B) you're a hypocrite.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
All you have to do is visit the C6 for sale section to see the shoe on the other foot. Going price for an 06 Z is mid to low 50's right now, depending on options. There are guys trying to get 68k for theirs! Are they thieves? A BUNCH of thieves, I tell ya!
But lest we forget the gouging some 06 and 07 Z owners got when they had to be the first in the Z06. It was epic. Many selling in the 90's and some 100k and up. Now worth all of in the 50's somewhere.

This isnt new, and it's not going to go away.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
But lest we forget the gouging some 06 and 07 Z owners got when they had to be the first in the Z06. It was epic. Many selling in the 90's and some 100k and up. Now worth all of in the 50's somewhere.

This isnt new, and it's not going to go away.
I hope you understood that I was being "funny". The point is that when anyone is trying to sell their car, they always try to get more than the current going rate or the most they can get. It's just the way capitalism works. But they get all worked up when the dealer has 2 ZR1's allotted to him and he's got 15 people on his list. There are some areas in this country that still get over msrp for Z06's because there are still a lot of people who don't know how or care enough to shop around. On the other hand, no one gives the dealer any sympathy when he's got 50 Equinox's or whatever flavor is out of favor, in stock and no one is buying at 10% off invoice.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

No I understand completely that people will whine about dealer markups and want bottom dollar but then turn around and whine about lowballers. Double standards.

I know If I were a dealer, unless it was a good friend or personal aquaintance on the list I'd sure seperate a fool from his money if he wanted the car bad enough.

But I cant stand dealers that promise one thing and lie and steal from people. That is common too.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

But I cant stand dealers that promise one thing and lie and steal from people. That is common too.
That is unfortunately true.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
mls27
Racer

Attempting to buy a 100k Chevrolet that hasn't even hit the sales floor is asking for issues in my opinion. They dont even REALLY know how much interest there will be. Sure some are walking in early, but how many people will want them after the test results are out? Or after some reliability reports are posted? It's unknown right now....and its gonna be unpredictable for a while.

Get notified of new replies

To $75,000 over list-bunch of thieves

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The fix is easy for me. I am thinking about getting an '08 Z06 now for 10K under MSRP and then a similar deal in '10 or '11 when the ZR1 supply catches up with the demand. On top of everyting else, the incremental refinements in the car are likely to make the '11 ZR1 better - for example the '08 Z06 will not have roof delamination.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

I think some people are just ignoring the the fact that this is a limited production super-vette. Chevy is simply the first one to up the game. There is a 98k base Viper and a 100 Nissan coming as well, and who knows what the LF-A from lexus will cost.

I think it's a brilliant idea, if nothing else the collectors will buy them all and sit them in the garage. People will pay about anything for performance, add that to the heritage of the corvette and limited production of this car and I dont see how they could lose on this, unless they try and make them for too long.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think some people are just ignoring the the fact that this is a limited production super-vette. Chevy is simply the first one to up the game. There is a 98k base Viper and a 100 Nissan coming as well, and who knows what the LF-A from lexus will cost.

I think it's a brilliant idea, if nothing else the collectors will buy them all and sit them in the garage. People will pay about anything for performance, add that to the heritage of the corvette and limited production of this car and I dont see how they could lose on this, unless they try and make them for too long.
Vipers are just as "limited" in production as the new ZR1, adn they hold no special resale/collector value.

My guess is neither will the ZR1.

But that still doesn't solve the quandry I will be faced with when I have my first ZR1 "encounter" on the street....

Do I look on in awe and amazement at a the really cool car that is beside me (and I do like the ZR1) and then gracefully and respectfully let him roll ahead of me as I short shift through the gears.... o

Or do I send him/her looking for an upgrade as I blow his/her doors off? hehe

Last edited by RC45; 04-17-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] $75,000 over list-bunch of thieves