Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Fuse removal voids warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
JWGJR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse removal voids warranty!

Just kidding - but based on all the threads I've been reading it seems that any changes we do that increases HP can be used to void our warranty! I wonder if the PCM records when I remove the fuse!

Clearly, 2-3 HP increase over 2000-3000 rpm can't possibly be a factor.

Can a proven tune and CAI that adds 20 RWHP be used to void our warranty for a dropped value/broken spring?

How could GM blame the tune when so many stock cars have had this problem?

I guess I should drive only in hot humid days when HP is lower.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
DocT
Instructor

Hot, sticky, controversial topic. From most of what I've read, anything that increases HP could POTENTIALLY cause a denial of warranty; although, as many have stated here, it would be difficult for GM to prove that a "tune" would be the cause of a broken spring since there have been more than a few (stock) that have had spring failure.

That being said; however, I doubt very seriously that the fuse would cause a warranty denial from GM. I do believe that GM is fairly lenient when it comes to light modding; however, that may be a thing of the past????

I'd be extra cautious and very thoughtful before I modded anything. Just my $02

RT

Last edited by DocT; 03-30-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then by the same token all aftermarket exhausts would have the same "potential". That is starting to become a ridiculous argument, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JWGJR
Can a proven tune and CAI that adds 20 RWHP be used to void our warranty for a dropped value/broken spring?

GM doesn't want to spend warranty money on their cash cow!! They know a ton of us on this board love to mod and they realize that maybe they can get out of some of this valve spring/rocker arm issue if they can just blame something else and deny warranty. I wonder what the warranty payout is on the new LS7 for everyone that drops a valve?

Only half kidding........
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

I think the difference here would be that were talking about the 'Factory' exhaust, that opens up at 3500 / 3000 RPM in Comp Mode already.

Just wait till they get with OnStar (if they haven't already) and call you over your in vehicle phone and state something to the effect...

"This is OnStar calling. We have determined that your vehicle is not operating under it's original factory configuration. Please follow the turn by turn directions to your nearest dealer for inspection and correction. Failure to follow the pre-determined path will result in your vehicle being remotely shut down and a tow truck will be in route. Thank you for your cooperation."

Old 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by McMung
Then by the same token all aftermarket exhausts would have the same "potential". That is starting to become a ridiculous argument, IMHO.
Anything that is not factory OEM on your car can allow GM or a dealer to either deny a warranty claim or recommend voiding your warranty. Is an aftermarket exhaust, mild2wild, or CAI lead a dealer to start the process to void your warranty? Probablly not, but under GM's terms and conditions for their warranty they absolutely can.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Z06neb
Instructor

Originally Posted by CORVETTE007
I think the difference here would be that were talking about the 'Factory' exhaust, that opens up at 3500 / 3000 RPM in Comp Mode already.

Just wait till they get with OnStar (if they haven't already) and call you over your in vehicle phone and state something to the effect...

"This is OnStar calling. We have determined that your vehicle is not operating under it's original factory configuration. Please follow the turn by turn directions to your nearest dealer for inspection and correction. Failure to follow the pre-determined path will result in your vehicle being remotely shut down and a tow truck will be in route. Thank you for your cooperation."

This is scary!! It sounds like Big Brother is watching! Will the application of the 427 emblems void my warrantee as well?

Last edited by Z06neb; 03-30-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06neb
This is scary!! It sounds like Big Brother is watching! Will the application of the 427 emblems void my warrantee as well?
As asanine as it sounds if your car drops a valve and GM can prove that the adhesive you used to apply your 427 emblems caused a caustic chemical reaction which damaged your PCM, then yes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Just kidding - but based on all the threads I've been reading it seems that any changes we do that increases HP can be used to void our warranty! I wonder if the PCM records when I remove the fuse!

Clearly, 2-3 HP increase over 2000-3000 rpm can't possibly be a factor.

I guess I should drive only in hot humid days when HP is lower.

Reading and posting into this thread can void your warranty if they know that you are doing it.

All GM is saying is that: "....If the calibration is found to be a NON-GM calibration, as from a tune, GM is advising dealers that the warranty repair on the powertrain will not be honored. The dealership will need to provide proof if a powertrain failure has occurred that the calibrations are GMs before any repair is performed."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...66&postcount=1

Just how many cars have had this problem?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-30-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

OR...

Those 427 emblems on each side assisted in creating an additional .0000001 drag co-efficient, which in turn created more stress on the engine to propel the car, potentially causing the rocker arm to fail at it's stress point.

Originally Posted by LoSloZ06
As asanine as it sounds if your car drops a valve and GM can prove that the adhesive you used to apply your 427 emblems caused a caustic chemical reaction which damaged your PCM, then yes
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

65k and mild to wild blows warranty. I go to jail for the rest of my life.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Bmore30
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped laughing while reading this thread. My Z is currently in Bowling Green after my engine seized. Only mod was mild to wild- still in car. I honestly did not even think about this till now. Didn't think it was important.
way to F up my night.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
LoSloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Bmore30
I stopped laughing while reading this thread. My Z is currently in Bowling Green after my engine seized. Only mod was mild to wild- still in car. I honestly did not even think about this till now. Didn't think it was important.
way to F up my night.
lol.

Dude, we were KIDDING! There is no freakin' way you have anything to worry about!

See this is the kind of hysterics these posts lead to! This really should be caveated to death! Your car will not have its warranty voided!

Think of it this way: could a cop ticket you for jaywalking or even spitting on the ground (some places that is against the law)? Yes! What are the chances he will? One in a billion, maybe? This is the same, GM could probablly try and void your warranty if you have fuzzy dice hanging from your review or a pinstripe; but it won't.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

GM had better think hard before they go down this road. Sometimes you can win the battle and lose the war.
There are alot of loyal vette owners out there. **** them off and they will buy a different car the next time.

Hope they use their brains but
I doubt that the bean counters will.

Charlie
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Bmore30
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole thing bothers me because of the way GM has handled my car from the beginning. It has been almost one month since my Z seized. It sat for 3 WEEKS at the dealer and just recently left for BG. They did give me a rental but I had to ask for an upgrade from an Aveo WTF.
They already have my money and don't seem concerned about keeping me as a repeat customer.
I dont think they can void my warranty but what bothers me is the fact that they could try.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
THERETURN
Racer

Originally Posted by chucky7
GM had better think hard before they go down this road. Sometimes you can win the battle and lose the war.
There are alot of loyal vette owners out there. **** them off and they will buy a different car the next time.

Hope they use their brains but
I doubt that the bean counters will.

Charlie
Yes sir i was already im thinking about the Viper. Im scare to even push the car.

GM
Sir even though your car is stock we cant warranty your car anymore because you are passing 4k rpms
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

You may just want to look into your states lemon law. In some states, your car still being out of service after being in for repairs more than 30 days will quailfy.

It's not your fault that your car sat for 3 weeks at the dealer and just left for BG.

And no, I seriously doubt that a M2W switch will cause you any issues. Somehow don't think this was the casue of a siezed engine.

This whole thing bothers me because of the way GM has handled my car from the beginning. It has been almost one month since my Z seized. It sat for 3 WEEKS at the dealer and just recently left for BG. They did give me a rental but I had to ask for an upgrade from an Aveo WTF.
They already have my money and don't seem concerned about keeping me as a repeat customer.
I dont think they can void my warranty but what bothers me is the fact that they could try.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse removal voids warranty!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Erix
Pro

Honestly, though taking 3 weeks to decide to swap the engine then a wait to get a carrier out to pick it up (not GM's fault about scheduling dealy to pick it up) is not great, taking out of a dealers hands and done by the very same people who put the car together at the factory....

That seems like one hell of a service and nothing you will ever see with an cobalt, tahoe, or anything else with the tic tak logo.

No doubt this whole mod it and your SOL kind of blows, but I dont think some are putting the proper perspective on the unbeleivalbe support this particular car gets above and beyone other GM products.

Not a problem for those of us that dont have to have cams and PCM flashes to keep up with the Jones'. If you're a bonified racer then thats all good, but then they arent the ones that would whine bag about warrenties as they know better. Its you dyno chart junkies that helped this come to pass.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

way to F up my night.
A Mild to Wild??? You'll be fine. Same as if you had a Window Valet and left that in the car by accident.

Unless you tuned the ECM or modified your engine or was running a fuel additive or something in it that the owners manual tells you not to run. Of course then you could have a problem.

But barring that, relax. You are getting a new engine.

And while they are at it, tell them to EXTEND your warranty for an additional 24 months over what is left on the factory warranty now, free of charge. They have been known to do that in these cases too.

Thats the only way you would have a problem.

Originally Posted by LoSloZ06
lol.

See this is the kind of hysterics these posts lead to! .....
Yes you're right. We should never yell "FIRE" in a crowded room. We should never cry "WOLF".

"You see there, I told you guys to cut it out. Look what you did."

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-31-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 AM
kevettez06
Burning Brakes

What if your mods and tune is all done by a GM certified technician / tuner? Any idea?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Fuse removal voids warranty!