Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Motor Trend Buttunwillow: GTR - 1:56.9 Z06 - 2:02.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If the GT-R was made by Ford or Dodge there would not be nearly as much animosity towards it. Some of you close-minded folks should just be honest and say you hate it because it's Japanese
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

My bet is, withsome better rubber on the Z.
It's a different story,our stock runflats are not a track tire.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
My bet is, withsome better rubber on the Z.
It's a different story,our stock runflats are not a track tire.
Indeed, but before the GTR cheering section jumps you for pointing out the tire difference, never mind that the Z06 covered the Grand Course at VIR in 2:58.2 on runflats, no throw that out the window. Don't even bring it up.

If the GTR breaks 3 minutes on that course on whatever tire they send it there on, I'll give it it's props.

I highly doubt that it does it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the ACR will have to carry the torch. lol
Old 03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe90
What are you smokin'?

Boosted cars are some of the EASIEST to modify.

Bigger turbo, adjustable waste gate, larger inter-cooler, computer tweaks and they'll be sitting at 700-800 HP EASY!

They had kids in Japan making 1000 HP with heads/cam/turbo changes on the LAST generation of GT-R's...don't see why this one will be any different.

P.S. I used to own one while I was stationed in Okinawa...what a fun sleeper car

And for those who claim Steve Millen is "just a tuner" wringer driver, maybe you need to actually KNOW what he's done in his career...

Like:

"Company founders Steve Millen and David Schollum have been globally racing at the professional level for over 30 years. Formula Fords in Singapore, Rally Cars in Africa, Trucks in football stadiums and Nissan Prototypes at LeMans and the 24 Hours of Daytona are just some of Steve's victory credits. Steve captured the prestigious title of IMSA GT Driver's Championship in both 1992 and 1994 driving his Cunningham Racing prepared Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo racecar. His lengthy list of wins has earned him a new title that may remain intact for decades to come, "The All-Time Winningest Driver in IMSA GT History."

If you truly think that he can't drive ANYTHING with wheels at 95% the first few minutes, you are deluded.
I have spoken to real race drivers. Almost invariably they are quite self-effacing and quite likely would not agree with your last sentence. To truly drive 95% takes some acclimation to the vehicle.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the "factory" tire comments are comical at best.....trust me, after owning a C6Z for about 2 years, you will cross the "tire decision" path in very short order. I was replacing rear emt's at 4500 miles. So my stock car, with 5000 miles on the ody is in need of tires and I decide to put some REAL tires on the car and ditch the emt runflats...... oh nooooooo's, the factory crew said my car no longer counts as stock.... give me a break. Tires HAVE TO BE addressed, you don't have a choice if you plan on owning the car more than a weekend

Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't you think the Z deserves to lose, getting on a track with runflats? I understand that the car comes like that from GM, so if they want to be more competitive, offer some R tires as an option.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
SAN_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

It will be equally as interesting if the GTR does not beat the Z06 at VIR.
I fully agree!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
SAN_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
You want to see a rabid forum that has no respect for other brands. Oh, and talks like a bunch of mouth-breathers;

go to NAGTROC.org
That's not entirely true, as I'd say 99% of the folks there have high respect for the Z06. It's only the fully anti-american nutswingers that don't. And there are plenty of anti-japanese folks here too...

But really, the Z06 and base C6 are well respected at the two other boards I visit (my350z.com, and stangnet.com).
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vladcanada
Aha! The 911 has the Sport Chrono Package (1.2bar overboost as opposed to usual 1.0bar midrange).
Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Buttonwillow times

Here is a site for a HPDE group (Speedventures) where you can see some respective times that guys like me (regular drivers) do on this track. I have been on it, but not in the configuration for this test, 13 CW. To see times, select the event date, then highlight one of the BW 13 CW events. The time posted in this test for the GT-R is very low for non-professionals, whereas the times posted for the C6Z is on par with a good average+ non professional. Another thing about this track is that it is very hard on brakes, i.e., he with the best brakes wins . Evo guys like this track because it favors their vehicles (track is flat with little elevation changes and AWD) and they are very hard to get past, except under braking.

Have fun with this one .

http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx
Old 03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DEAD EYE
I guess the ACR will have to carry the torch. lol
And carry the Torch it will. The GTR will get spanked by the ACR, but so will the ZR1 on a road course.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
fedaricko01
Racer

How much do you want to bet that the 2009 model year Z06 will come standard with better rubber. And I think that this test has finalized it. ;-)
Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I have spoken to real race drivers. Almost invariably they are quite self-effacing and quite likely would not agree with your last sentence. To truly drive 95% takes some acclimation to the vehicle.

We'll have to disagree on this one...

I too "know" a few professional race drivers (not just speaking with them). Their skills are honed to a higher level than most of us regular folk. Once they have the feel for the car, how it handles etc. they can lay down some pretty serious times on their first "real" attempt. It usually takes a pro about 5-10 laps to figure the car out, then they can get serious.

SW can drive the wheels off just about anything. I've seen it! He's not "technically" a pro, but might as well be. He's been to every driving school in the country. He'll embarrass you in your own car...

The first time I ever saw him drive was an auto-cross in 1991. I see this red C4 doing 4-wheel drifts around the course and I'm thinking his times would be REALLY slow. His second run was blistering, but someone driving "normally" clipped SW's time by .5 seconds. On his last run, the game face went on and he clipped his (previous) FTD by 2 seconds on a 50 second course. No power slides, no drifting, just driving the snot out of that C4.

Driving skill is driving skill, it's all in how you are tuned in to the vehicle. From there, it's squeezing out the last 10-20%.

P.S. You should see SW drive the "bar stool"
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Don't you think the Z deserves to lose, getting on a track with runflats? I understand that the car comes like that from GM, so if they want to be more competitive, offer some R tires as an option.
I think you missed the post about the GT-R having runflats as standard rubber...3 different compounds to be exact.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you missed the post about the GT-R having runflats as standard rubber...3 different compounds to be exact.
three different compounds that didn't seem to include the letters g-o-o-d-y-e-a-r anywhere on the sidewall
Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
three different compounds that didn't seem to include the letters g-o-o-d-y-e-a-r anywhere on the sidewall
Not their fault...

GM must have a piece of Goodyear to stay with them this long...

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend Buttunwillow: GTR - 1:56.9 Z06 - 2:02.2

Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

We'll have to disagree on this one...

I too "know" a few professional race drivers (not just speaking with them). Their skills are honed to a higher level than most of us regular folk. Once they have the feel for the car, how it handles etc. they can lay down some pretty serious times on their first "real" attempt. It usually takes a pro about 5-10 laps to figure the car out, then they can get serious.

SW can drive the wheels off just about anything. I've seen it! He's not "technically" a pro, but might as well be. He's been to every driving school in the country. He'll embarrass you in your own car...

The first time I ever saw him drive was an auto-cross in 1991. I see this red C4 doing 4-wheel drifts around the course and I'm thinking his times would be REALLY slow. His second run was blistering, but someone driving "normally" clipped SW's time by .5 seconds. On his last run, the game face went on and he clipped his (previous) FTD by 2 seconds on a 50 second course. No power slides, no drifting, just driving the snot out of that C4.

Driving skill is driving skill, it's all in how you are tuned in to the vehicle. From there, it's squeezing out the last 10-20%.

P.S. You should see SW drive the "bar stool"

Our experiences differ. Nothing wrong with that.

Who is SW????
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey, fellas, this ain't even the FDA. It's a hopelessly conflicted magazine.

Actually, there is no conflict at all if you are familiar with one particular aspect of Road and Track.

First, a spot of background and a point of reference. No one here with even a remote familiarity with Japan's Best Motoring would take seriously the results of any comparison test staged by that organization. And with good reason. This Road and Track test was organized by none other than Road & Track's Japanese editor Sam Mitani, a man who, in the decade I have been reading his reviews, has never met a Japanese car he didn't fawn over. Go to R&T's website. Enter his name in the search box. Randomly pick and read any two articles he has written on a Japanese car (there are lots and lots). You'll soon see why I stopped reading his work years ago.

I just got back from the New York International Auto Show's press preview. I mentioned the R&T article specifically to an editor at Car and Driver. He burst out laughing when told the gap R&T had supposedly seen. His reaction was. "I don't believe it. We'll see when we run our Lightning Lap." HeavyChevy, you already know who I spoke to though I won't say the name here. I will be among the first to congratulate Nissan if they are able to decisively defeat the Z06 on that test but I will be surprised if they do.

Honestly, R&T may have done more to damage their credibility here than at any other time in their history. Quotes on the GT-R's superiority to the Enzo etc. OK, whatever.

Oh look, a flying pig...

Last edited by Bwright; 03-19-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SAN_man
That's not entirely true, as I'd say 99% of the folks there have high respect for the Z06.
Oh, I'd say waaay less than 99%!!!Go check it out for yourselves folks and make up your own minds.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Motor Trend Buttunwillow: GTR - 1:56.9 Z06 - 2:02.2