Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 with fixed glass top

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Simsek
It looks awesome Great job
Transparent top was transferred to your top? Could one convert the stock removable top to be fixed to the Z and use the stock C6 interior trim? I'm interested in this conversion. I don't see why it would compromise rigidity also. Could you provide more detail like, how the transparent glass swap was done.
Yes you can transfer the top, but you'd have to custom modify the headliner.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Supacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice work..

Dude you are always coming up with some original stuff on this car..first the hood,now the top...very innovative and very sweet looking...and classy..

P.s were you not selling this car?? lol
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Supacat
Dude you are always coming up with some original stuff on this car..first the hood,now the top...very innovative and very sweet looking...and classy..

P.s were you not selling this car?? lol

Yes, I thought about selling it back in December, thinking maybe buy the ZR1, but then, like you said, I've done so many things to it that I am very proud of, I just couldn't part. It really is turning out nice. Thanks for the compliments
Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Very nice...

I met you at the last GTG we had with Ven. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I may get with you on the upholstry shop your using in Pasadena. Great job...!!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Very nice...

I met you at the last GTG we had with Ven. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I may get with you on the upholstry shop your using in Pasadena. Great job...!!
Hi Dennis - Thanks. The top looks as good as OEM, period. You know, I had to really convince Astro Tops to do it for me. I had been after them since October, finally, when I talked to him at the Corvette / Chevy Expo last month, and I am very grateful he took on the task of doing it. It just wasn't easy.

Hey, we should plan another cruise. I'm thinking this time maybe we'll go somewhere coastal. What do you think?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
vtecnitian
Instructor

will they be working on a CF replacement also? what are the weight differences if you know between the stock and the glass.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vtecnitian
will they be working on a CF replacement also? what are the weight differences if you know between the stock and the glass.
I don't think they will be working with CF replacement - this company deals primarily with transparent targa and T-Tops.

As far as weight difference, I did not weigh the tops, but they appear very comparable. I did not feel significant difference.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When your shop gets it ready for retail ... tell them I'll buy one.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 AM
DJ'sZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Hi Dennis - Thanks. The top looks as good as OEM, period. You know, I had to really convince Astro Tops to do it for me. I had been after them since October, finally, when I talked to him at the Corvette / Chevy Expo last month, and I am very grateful he took on the task of doing it. It just wasn't easy.

Hey, we should plan another cruise. I'm thinking this time maybe we'll go somewhere coastal. What do you think?
Can't wait to see it in person...I'm always up for a cruise. I posted a new cruise with Ven a couple weeks ago heading toward Crystal Beach over the Ferry into Galveston for lunch. I'll see if I can find the link and PM you with it...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Can't wait to see it in person...I'm always up for a cruise. I posted a new cruise with Ven a couple weeks ago heading toward Crystal Beach over the Ferry into Galveston for lunch. I'll see if I can find the link and PM you with it...

Sounds good -I am game.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I missed the post about the hood......what are those things on there?

Not bashing it,just can't tell what they are.

Oh yeah....top looks sweet!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
kevettez06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redzone

Oh yeah....top looks sweet!
Correct me if i'm wrong please, but i believe those 'things' on the hood are vents... not sure where i got that idea... :P
Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Frikkin' awesome man - can't wait to see that in person at the next cruise!!! It looks badass, and the best part is, you're not messing with structural rigidity in any way .... glass might be a bit heavier than the skin they were using, but mehh...
Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by redzone

I had the same problem when I saw the car in person....and then I saw the Cadillac Escalade --- lol.... those innovative hood vents are actually the nggavents off the fenders of Escalades....I'd have liked them more if they were painted comp gray all over - the chrome doesn't flow with the rest of the car's killer theme.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Although the car was wet from driving in the rain - had to check water-tightness of the new install -

Here are few pictures - new headliner should be done next week

I would be extremely concerned about the safety aspects of all of that exposed metal and what appears to be several sheet metal screws that are exposed. It looks like one is directly over the drivers side head position.

my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vdshenoy
I had the same problem when I saw the car in person....and then I saw the Cadillac Escalade --- lol.... those innovative hood vents are actually the nggavents off the fenders of Escalades....I'd have liked them more if they were painted comp gray all over - the chrome doesn't flow with the rest of the car's killer theme.
Hey Ven - remember? We talked about them on the day of our last cruise. I'm going to dip the vents in carbon fiber. I just have not had the time to finish a couple of other things that will need to be done as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OneBadZ06
I would be extremely concerned about the safety aspects of all of that exposed metal and what appears to be several sheet metal screws that are exposed. It looks like one is directly over the drivers side head position.

my 2 cents.
You've got to be kidding me!! You don't really think I'm going to leave the interior frame exposed like that, with such interior, do you? I just took the pictures as I bolted the top. We not done yet; the interior will have a genuine leather headliner to match the seats. I will post pictures when done - hopefully sometime next week.

Last edited by zhopper05; 03-07-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 with fixed glass top

Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 AM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car looks amazing, but I have one question....

You took 2 tops and had them make one top (Glass with the Z06 Mag. Frame) and plan on putting in a headliner? So you paid $$$$ just to have a black glass top from the outside?

Why would you do this, if you were not going to take advantage of the glass top fully? I would have just painted the stock top black and you would have the same end result (almost).
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
Your car looks amazing, but I have one question....

You took 2 tops and had them make one top (Glass with the Z06 Mag. Frame) and plan on putting in a headliner? So you paid $$$$ just to have a black glass top from the outside?

Why would you do this, if you were not going to take advantage of the glass top fully? I would have just painted the stock top black and you would have the same end result (almost).
The car is a show vehicle, although (almost) daily driver. This is the Architect in me - just can't leave it alone - lol. The idea was to have a unique feature; that's all, just like I modified the seats and the hood. It's very easy to just go out and buy after-market stuff; but it's more rewarding when you design something yourself that turns out to nice. The headliner will not cover the whole top; just the frame portion.

Last edited by zhopper05; 03-07-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
winemeup911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supacat
Very innovative and very sweet looking...and classy.
Couldn't agree more.

I wonder how many years it will take GM to wake up.

Nice job.

Drive safe and have fun my friend!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 with fixed glass top