Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Big Cams; Do they compromise Drivibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Big Cams; Do they compromise Drivibility?

The title sort of speaks for itself...

I just want to know how low rpm cruising is affected by a big cam like the QM600 or HPE Stage 3 and etc.

I'm sure there is at least a small affect. Is it enough to make it a hassle compared to stock??

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:01 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig
The title sort of speaks for itself...

I just want to know how low rpm cruising is affected by a big cam like the QM600 or HPE Stage 3 and etc.

I'm sure there is at least a small affect. Is it enough to make it a hassle compared to stock??

Thanks in advance.
There is alwyas gonna be a trade off of some sort.

Here we go again.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

What's the deal on the "Beat a dead horse" pictures? I've never seen anyone post this thread..
Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

C'mon RichieRichZ06, if it is a re-post don't open it up. Where's the love, bro.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
There is alwyas gonna be a trade off of some sort.

Regardless of what cam you put in general, there will always be a trade off.

If you drive a lot in heavy traffic, you might want to consider twice. If this is your weekend warrior, then it might sound good. Do you spend a lot of time in 1st gear? Do a louder/ more vibration sounding car bother you, sensetive?

The best thing to do, is find somebody in your area and see if you can get a test drive.

Basically, a cam will turn your refined Z06 into a muscle car, even though a major portion of the drive band will feel stock.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

What's the deal on the "Beat a dead horse" pictures? I've never seen anyone post this thread..
I don't believe in animal cruelty; I love animals because they are delicious

Wait, is SPAM made out of horse meat? A few years ago an old Philipino girlfriend made me a Spam sandwhich and it was yummy; I never looked back since. I now like fried spam on toast with mustard.

Back to your original question, yes, there will be a small adjustability to your driving style and yes, there will be a bit of small driveability differences from stock. NO CAM in the world will drive 100% like stock. However, we try our best to ensure we come as close as possible.

Granted, you are not going to drive in 5th gear around a school zone with our QM600 cam and not surge. In fact, I wouldn't do it with a stock Z anyway! But for some reason, some C6Z owners want their cammed up Z to drive 25mph or less in 5th gear and not buck...I don't get it.

I hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
0Rage@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Myhardtop

Wait, is SPAM made out of horse meat? A few years ago an old Philipino girlfriend made me a Spam sandwhich and it was yummy; I never looked back since. I now like fried spam on toast with mustard.

Back to your original question, yes, there will be a small adjustability to your driving style and yes, there will be a bit of small driveability differences from stock. NO CAM in the world will drive 100% like stock. However, we try our best to ensure we come as close as possible.

Granted, you are not going to drive in 5th gear around a school zone with our QM600 cam and not surge. In fact, I wouldn't do it with a stock Z anyway! But for some reason, some C6Z owners want their cammed up Z to drive 25mph or less in 5th gear and not buck...I don't get it.

I hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
don99vette
Advanced

With a cam install you will:

Have second thoughts about having your car valet parked

Taking grandma for a ride

Pulling up to anyones house by surprise

Convincing the person that wants to run you it is totally stock

Also, if you were sold on the car due to the nav system, heated seats, memory system, and cup holders don't do it.

It goes from grocery hauler to one bad mo fo. It's loud, proud, and mean.

Hey dude, wanna run?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
lthrneck
Racer

Maybe a noob question but what happens to the warranty when you put a cam in?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

It will most likely get voided.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lthrneck
The same thing that happens when it is stock with warranties! GM, Dodge, Ford...will all say it is something you did and not cover it! Or one of their porters will "test drive it".... At least with the cam you have a good reason!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop

I hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
I agree with everything but the Spam!

Keep the RPMs up and you will have no issues.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

The answer to the question in the subject is "yes."

If you haven't had a car with an aftermarket cam, by all means try and find someone in your area for a frank discussion and a ride before you try anything "big" in your car. I've had many big cams in my cars and have a regretted a few, but the more first hand experience I had with the cam before I put it in, the better I generally liked it.

Honestly, if you are asking this question, and you are set on a cam with no prior experience, I would start with something like the Katech Torquer or similar "small" cam. You might find its more than enough.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Viscerl
The answer to the question in the subject is "yes."

If you haven't had a car with an aftermarket cam, by all means try and find someone in your area for a frank discussion and a ride before you try anything "big" in your car. I've had many big cams in my cars and have a regretted a few, but the more first hand experience I had with the cam before I put it in, the better I generally liked it.

Honestly, if you are asking this question, and you are set on a cam with no prior experience, I would start with something like the Katech Torquer or similar "small" cam. You might find its more than enough.
depends how you like to drive....i am one of those who routinely drives 6th gear from 800 rpm up...my car is dd and i get my best fuel mileage in 6th...[ no flaming please, its raved on several times a week under the proper conditions]...i love it being able to pull from such low rpm smoothly and still scream at 7000rpm...all but the mildest of cams would change that..[ even then it may change some] ...as of yet i am not willing to give up that great down low driveability..
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

It will most likely get voided.
That depends on your dealer. I happen to be very lucky that the SM is for one an old friend and he owns a modded SC C6 along with a small collection of other cars. There are a lot of Modified Vettes that get serviced at this dealer that race at the Glenn and he honors the warranty each and every time. No problems with cam, headers, SC cars etc in fact they just installed a LPE cam and header package on a customers Z06 and I asked him will you still honor his warranty and he looked at me and said "of course we will " Did you even have to ask?

Get the cam but maybe you might want to consider a mild one if your conserned with DD.

Good luck

Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
RADAR B8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lthrneck
My dealer knows that I have a LPE cam and it's been for service a few times with no problem. Now if I blow the motor up that would be a problem, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
depends how you like to drive....i am one of those who routinely drives 6th gear from 800 rpm up...my car is dd and i get my best fuel mileage in 6th...[ no flaming please, its raved on several times a week under the proper conditions]...i love it being able to pull from such low rpm smoothly and still scream at 7000rpm...all but the mildest of cams would change that..[ even then it may change some] ...as of yet i am not willing to give up that great down low driveability..
These cars have a 6th gear?

Get notified of new replies

To Big Cams; Do they compromise Drivibility?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM makes the car with some power remaining on the table due to a safety factor. There is no doubt a cam will bring more power but just watch how big of a cam you use. I would say you can probably find another 50hp with a mild cam and headers. If you want more than that you can expect drivability issues such as surge and bucking under light loads. My setup got me another 100 hp but as I have said many times on here it drives pretty well but it’s by no means stock like…

Last edited by Street gear; 02-24-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Street gear
GM makes the car with some power remaining on the table due to a safety factor. There is no doubt a cam will bring more power but just watch how big of a cam you use. I would say you can probably find another 50hp with a mild cam and headers. If you want more than that you can expect drivability issues such as surge and bucking under light loads. My setup got me another 100 hp but as I have said many times on here it drives pretty well but it’s by no means stock like…
What do you mean by Surging and Bucking? and could you also explain the meaning of "Light loads" please??
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM
TTU
Pro

Here is my YouTube video clip of my 2007 Z06 with the QM600 cam package (all bolt on mods, ported intake and TB, tune):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGJPONeGP0c

Keep these pointers in mind:

1) Your valve train warranty WILL be voided. No question about that
2) My neighbors hate me now!!!!! The Z is loud as hell and it rumble/shakes in a sweet sort of way Consider keeping your stock exaust on if you don't want to **** anybody off in your neighborhood I have Corsa on mine.
3) Drivability is actually quite impressive, given the size of the cam. I buck at 1500 RPM or less. Not a bad trade off for all the torque and power I'ved gained with the package (553 RWHP)
4) If the Z is your daily driver, and you are in stop and go traffic, I wouldn't install a bigger cam. My Z is only driven on the weekends, and for fun. Not for work!

Cheers

Quick Reply: [Z06] Big Cams; Do they compromise Drivibility?