Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 Vs. Z06 Let The Truth Be Told

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobJ
I read your reply several times and I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that the ZR1 came out because the C6Z went a couple years with little change and just price increases, or are you saying there were no significant improvements in the C6Z over the 01C5Z so you're waiting to see what comes out in 11?
I have always liked the Z06 in both the C5 and C6 models. For looks I preferred my unique C5 FRC body (albeit unfortunately inferior aerodynamics) but I was really ticked off about them coming out with a higher HP rating just one year later.

Moving on to the C6Z.......

When the C6Z first came out it was in a class of it's own but as the years rolled by the price went up while for the most part the car remained resting on it's 2006 introduction laurels.

However if for 2011 they regain the initiative with some more power and better track prep from the factory (forged pistons, piston oiling, better valve-train) along with the talked about ZO7 option, the Z06 will IMO retake the throne of being the best of the best all things considered.

IMO the ZR1 is a great car even though I am not fond of the "see through" hood. Still (and IMO) it is more of a grand touring car combining comfort and luxury with some impressive performance numbers. If money did not matter and because I would not get to track the car given a choice I would take the ZR1.

Still a new "lean and mean" Z06 for 2011 would be a real heart thumper and would be hard to pass over.

Hope that explains it a little better

Doug
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I have always liked the Z06 in both the C5 and C6 models. For looks I preferred my unique C5 FRC body (albeit unfortunately inferior aerodynamics) but I was really ticked off about them coming out with a higher HP rating just one year later.

Moving on to the C6Z.......

When the C6Z first came out it was in a class of it's own but as the years rolled by the price went up while for the most part the car remained resting on it's 2006 introduction laurels.

However if for 2011 they regain the initiative with some more power and better track prep from the factory (forged pistons, piston oiling, better valve-train) along with the talked about ZO7 option, the Z06 will IMO retake the throne of being the best of the best all things considered.

IMO the ZR1 is a great car even though I am not fond of the "see through" hood. Still (and IMO) it is more of a grand touring car combining comfort and luxury with some impressive performance numbers. If money did not matter and because I would not get to track the car given a choice I would take the ZR1.

Still a new "lean and mean" Z06 for 2011 would be a real heart thumper and would be hard to pass over.

Hope that explains it a little better

Doug
Perfectly explainedn, thanks. GM (or any manufacturer) incurs huge design and testing costs up front when introducing a new model, probably exponentially so with a car as complex as the C6Z, so they have to get 4-5 years of production with limited redesign/retool expense so they can make their money. Since I have a 2006 C6Z I'd just as soon they hold off as long as they want before they make my car inferior!! I would be reluctant to buy a 2010 as they will take a huge hit if major change come out in 2011.

Cheers!

Bob
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Doug
I disagree with both of your points. How much did it cost to walk out of a dealership in 2006 vs. 2009 with a new Z06? I bought a brand new 2008 Z for 65k and when I was looking in 2007 they were going for 10-20k over MSRP (80-90k!!). There have been a whole slew of improvements since the first Z... It's hard to improve something so good anyway.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKitty
Going to buy my lotterty ticket now,if I win,I think that I will get the Callaway conversion of the Z06,instead of the ZR1.But ,hell,maybe I will get both!
Let me know if you hit the lotto numbers I'm here to help
Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasweetgirl
In my humble oppinion, I think its nice that GM made the ZR-1 because its the trophy of the corporation. But, its really sad that GM can't build a trophy where it counts the most: mid size and full size cars. Corvette is not the bread and butter of GM and unfortunately, Corvette wont save GM. If you ask me, they are puting all their talent in the wrong place. Corvette has never been hard to sell and probably never will be... but this other crap GM is selling wont make a dent in Toyota sales.

Back to the issue though, ZR-1 vs. Z06... the ZR-1 will never have that nice ring to it "427"... The Z06 is a throw back to the old days... cant beat that!

Lorna
Yeah GM just sent me a letter telling me I could trade my wifes G8 GT V8 for a new front wheel drive malibu or buick something or other. Who cares you finally build a car that we will buy and they stop making it.
Gov motors is pushing green 4 cyl engine ho hum I could careless.

z51vett
Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished making a deal on an 07 Z and just joined the forum. I am trading a 04 subaru STI. A new sti is in the 40 k range. Are you kidding me? Take a look at the recent car and driver lightning lap issue. The ZR1 smoked everything even dedicated track toys could not beat it. Porsche got it *** handed to it , even the 4 seat M3 beat the porsches. The Z06 is 9.5 tenths as fast for less then half the price of ZR1 if you buy used one. One fifth or one tenth the price of slower lambos and ferraris. Read that article it is just amazing. I spend the better part of two years under my subies instead of on the track. The vettes can take it. But I have to admit I kept my track subie cause I have a warehouse of parts and dead motors to keep me busy with my new hobbie fixing subies. But I will drive that Z on the street proudly knowing what it is capable of. Too nice to track it for now.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gofobroke
I just finished making a deal on an 07 Z and just joined the forum. I am trading a 04 subaru STI. A new sti is in the 40 k range. Are you kidding me? Take a look at the recent car and driver lightning lap issue. The ZR1 smoked everything even dedicated track toys could not beat it. Porsche got it *** handed to it , even the 4 seat M3 beat the porsches. The Z06 is 9.5 tenths as fast for less then half the price of ZR1 if you buy used one. One fifth or one tenth the price of slower lambos and ferraris. Read that article it is just amazing. I spend the better part of two years under my subies instead of on the track. The vettes can take it. But I have to admit I kept my track subie cause I have a warehouse of parts and dead motors to keep me busy with my new hobbie fixing subies. But I will drive that Z on the street proudly knowing what it is capable of. Too nice to track it for now.
Congrats on the new Z, they are in a class all by themselves and more fun to drive than anything I have driven in the past.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Just go ahead and buy a Bugatti Veyron and you won't have to worry about feeling this way for a good while.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15...n-at-top-speed

http://www.flixxy.com/bugatti-veyron-test-drive.htm

It'll only cost you $1.3 million, but hey, you'll never have this sinking feeling you are going through right now ever again. Small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Or you could enjoy it until the next magazine comes out.
shelby supercar Ultimate Areo is already faster than a Veyron
Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BobJ
Perfectly explainedn, thanks. GM (or any manufacturer) incurs huge design and testing costs up front when introducing a new model, probably exponentially so with a car as complex as the C6Z, so they have to get 4-5 years of production with limited redesign/retool expense so they can make their money. Since I have a 2006 C6Z I'd just as soon they hold off as long as they want before they make my car inferior!! I would be reluctant to buy a 2010 as they will take a huge hit if major change come out in 2011.

Cheers!

Bob
My 07 will still be "close enough" to take a $30k hit on mine to pay close to ZR $ for a "ZO7" that will look pretty much the same. Saving my hit on a C7Z when that happens.Take your time GM so that mine looks new for a few more years
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gofobroke
Extremely well stated sir. 0-60 because of traction limits was only 1 tenth quicker, 0-100,6 tenths quicker(which is noticable).The ZR is one of the absolute best handling cars on the planet and mildly used ones can now be had for under $100K.Best buy IMHO in the car world at this time.But then again so is the Z.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 AM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's be honest with ourselves:

1. If GM were giving them out for free, we'd all pick the ZR1

2. $80k MSRP for a Corvette is a stretch, but acceptable (the Z06 is based on a $50k car). However, $120k is hard to do on a car that started as a $50k vehicle. Furthermore, it plunges the car into more exotic territory, new or used. If I had that cash to blow on a car, I'd be looking at different rides, some of which are even slower than the Z06 I currently drive (example - 911 GT3, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi R8).

3. The real question we need to ask ourselves is what will these go for 3 to 5 years from now on the used market. That's when I'll be interested. I imagine these will depreciate like any 'vette, and that's where the bargain is - somebody else's mildly used 'vette with 20k miles or less.

I'm just happy all these great choices are available.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

[QUOTE=KMK454;1573175847]Let's be honest with ourselves:

1. If GM were giving them out for free, we'd all pick the ZR1

2. $80k MSRP for a Corvette is a stretch, but acceptable (the Z06 is based on a $50k car). However, $120k is hard to do on a car that started as a $50k vehicle. Furthermore, it plunges the car into more exotic territory, new or used. If I had that cash to blow on a car, I'd be looking at different rides, some of which are even slower than the Z06 I currently drive (example - 911 GT3, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi R8).

3. The real question we need to ask ourselves is what will these go for 3 to 5 years from now on the used market. That's when I'll be interested. I imagine these will depreciate like any 'vette, and that's where the bargain is - somebody else's mildly used 'vette with 20k miles or less.

That is the key, the depreciation curve. It is a double edged sword. Z06 is an awesome car but will depreciate faster the say a porsche or bmer or audi etc. So if you buy it new your better served keeping it and paying it off as quick as possible. If you buy clean low mileage it is an absolute steal and you will not be upside down on the car from day one. The Zr1 is a boon for people who want a Z06 as all those folks traded their Z in to get one now. If you are patient chevy will do it again and the Zr1 guys will do the same and we can trade up at a discount. Honestly If I had the money to blow I would buy a Zr1 now but I don't so if i see a Zr1 in my mirrors I'll give him a big thumbs up and wait for the market in 2012 or so when they become available in significant enough numbers to be had for say 60 to 70 k or less.

And depending on where you live the chances of coming across a Zr1 in your Z06 are pretty low.

Last edited by gofobroke; 02-21-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Anubis328
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
shelby supercar Ultimate Areo is already faster than a Veyron
Unfortunately, this is no longer true. There is a new high performance Veyron that is again the fastest production car in the world.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Default dont sweat it brother.

DONT SWEAT THE ZR1 BRO ,THE Z06 IS THE ORIGINAL DESIGN ,GM WENT AND GOT THE Z06 DESIGN AND PUT A SMALLER MOTOR WITH A BLOWER ,CERAMIC BREAKES,CARBON FIBER AND CHARGE YOU ALMOST DOUBLE THE PRICE OF A Z06 ........I DONT CARE IF GM MAKES A ZR1,ZR2,ZR3 .....IN MY OPINION THE Z06 IS THE BADDEST STREET CAR OUT THERE .THANK GOD FOR WHAT YOU GOT Z06'S ARENT CHEAP AND YOU KNOW YOU BUSTED YR AZZ LIKE I DID TO AFFORD ONE.I LOVE MY BLACK 08 ZO6 .AND IF YR LOOKING TO BE FASTER THAN A ZR1 JUST DROP A SUPERCHARGER IN IT (SUPERCHARGED 427)HAS A NICE RING TO IT ........THATS WHAT IM DOING , IM NOT ******* THE ZR1 BUT YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE BRO ,AND IMHO A SEE THRU HOOD ,CARBON FIBER ,LOW SPLITTER BELONG ON HONDAS .....LOL....

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 Vs. Z06 Let The Truth Be Told