Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 vs Viper

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZR1 vs Viper

I can't wait until the car mags. get to compare these two beast! 600hp naturally aspired, vs 620hp supercharged.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

question is will the Mags. compare the ZR1 to the base Viper or the ACR?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:03 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I would think the ACR. It should be interesteing to see the results.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:56 PM
corvettejoe98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ZR1 is a million times better car than the viper
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't be much to compare.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 AM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Won't be much to compare.
I agree - the ACR will eat the ZR1's lunch. A supercharger is never the best for the track - N/A V10 will just start pulling away...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

In a straight line, the ZR1 is going to beat up on the Viper, regardless of model. On the track, the ZR1 will probably out run the regular 08 but lag behind the ACR.

jmho
Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlicious
In a straight line, the ZR1 is going to beat up on the Viper, regardless of model. On the track, the ZR1 will probably out run the regular 08 but lag behind the ACR.

jmho
Sounds about right.... I'm not sure 'beat up' is the right phrase, but it should win by a small margin in a straight line. At least if you go by what's on paper - HP/Weight.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 03-07-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlicious

jmho
That's about right.

The extra torque a roots type blower offers will show itself in straight line acceleration.

But the ACR's Michelin Pilot Sport Cups will give the ACR a big advantage around a road course.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaselva
That's about right.

The extra torque a roots type blower offers will show itself in straight line acceleration.

But the ACR's Michelin Pilot Sport Cups will give the ACR a big advantage around a road course.
I like to see your ZR1 in action at TMP or at a vette display/event in the GTA.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I may be wrong, but I have never seen the Viper as a true sports car, in that it is not at it's best on a road course.

I have watched many race at road Atalanta, and it seems they almost always go off track, or hit the tire wall after turn 11.

And as far as the ALMS series, they had some early wins but pretty much folded when the C5R's started running well.

Those are past years, perhaps the ACR will be a better all around car, but I have never been impressed with the Viper, in terms of comfort or handling. Its a good looking car, that has a ton of HP and torque, but I would think any direct comparison would rate the ZR1 the over all winner. It is the complete package, comfort, power, and handling.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
azneric85
Instructor

Default hey come on

hey dont compare zr1 and viper
viper will be destroyed by z06 and c6 mod engine will destroy viper easily
viper is a turtle comepare to zr1 buddi, i wonder why you are asking this
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

I'll predict the ZR1 will walk all comers @ the NRing. At VIR ... the ACR might win.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by azneric85
hey dont compare zr1 and viper
viper will be destroyed by z06 and c6 mod engine will destroy viper easily
viper is a turtle comepare to zr1 buddi, i wonder why you are asking this
dumbest post in this topic, there are no numbers pubished for the ZR1, and the Viper already beats the Z06 in every performance catagory, so if the Viper is a turtle, then I guess the Z06 is a snail?, sorry all these cars are 200mph cars stock, they are all fast.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TTC5Z
I'll predict the ZR1 will walk all comers @ the NRing. At VIR ... the ACR might win.
I predict you are wrong about Nring, and as to VIR, you probably already seen the numbers for the ACR and the standard Viper, both vipers, beat every supercar it was put up against, Porsche GT3, Lambo Superlargo, etc.... why didnt chevy didnt put the Z06 in the mix? ACR might win..... youve seen the #'s, funny how nobody has posted them.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-10-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gonzo
I may be wrong, but I have never seen the Viper as a true sports car, in that it is not at it's best on a road course.

I have watched many race at road Atalanta, and it seems they almost always go off track, or hit the tire wall after turn 11.

And as far as the ALMS series, they had some early wins but pretty much folded when the C5R's started running well.

Those are past years, perhaps the ACR will be a better all around car, but I have never been impressed with the Viper, in terms of comfort or handling. Its a good looking car, that has a ton of HP and torque, but I would think any direct comparison would rate the ZR1 the over all winner. It is the complete package, comfort, power, and handling.
You obviously never even sat in a viper, it is 100% pure sports car, the Corvette is the beter all around car for everyday driving. Vipers still hold the Motor Trend record in the slalom(and that was a gen 2) 1996 GTS's (not counting the original ACR's) still pull the same G's as a 2008 Z06, its funny how peole compare cars they have never driven. As far as them hitting walls, dont you think that has something to do with the driver? I guess all the 13 second passes Ive seen in C6 Z06's, mean that all Z06's are slow and run 13's? compare the cars when they come out until then its all speculation, and dont forget the factory option 675hp dodge will be offering, they are not dumb.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Vipers still hold the Motor Trend record in the slalom(and that was a gen 2)...
Faster than the 2005 Motor Trend record, set by a Lotus Elise on the 600 foot slalom...at 73.2 mph?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs Viper

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gonzo

Yes you are wrong IMHO. Everything I have ever read on the viper says it is more sports car in feel than the Vette by a long margin. I had an 06 Viper and an 07 Vette and I can tell you driving the Viper is alot more fun. It is like driving a go-cart and you can really feel the road conditions and it helps you read them better. It may be slower than other sports cars, but in the feel department and driving department, the Corvette rides like a Caddy compared to it. The best part of the Viper was taking a turn. Even an ordinary turn onto a side street was fun. It was like I said. its like driving a go cart...fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Prankster
Racer

Originally Posted by tlaselva
That's about right.

What really sucks is that, IMVHO, Dodge figured their ACR would get beat easily on a road course against the ZR1, so at the last minute they put Sport Cups on it "from the factory". So they pulled a "NE Patriots Spygate" type fast one out, and "cheated".

I'm sure all the mags will have the ACR winning all the races..even though it's apples to oranges when comparing the times. Those tires are worth several seconds on any road course, I'm sure they would help nicely at the drag strip as well. It would, however, be absolutely unbelievable if the ZR1 still wins though!!

I doubt the mags will put Sport Cups on both then run them..so who knows if there will ever be a good comparison. Oh well, their both going to be performance animals..should be fun!

pkstr
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Notch
Faster than the 2005 Motor Trend record, set by a Lotus Elise on the 600 foot slalom...at 73.2 mph?
Yep , 97 viper gts 73.6 1.01G's on the skid pad, This is a 1997 car! , and a non ACR which would have done better, having full race suspension and 18's all around, I cant imagine what the new ACR is going to pull. And for the record that time was beat by a car Ive never heard of the Molser Mt 900s Photon 74.7 $210k car

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 vs Viper